The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-10-2017, 09:06 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Little Witch Academia starts back over from the beginning with Akko being inspired by Shiny Chariot and heading to witch school. Runs into the first set of friends quickly and has an intro adventure but the second movie characters are around in the background for now too. Still pretty. Will be interesting to see what they do with more breathing room to flesh things out.
Is Netflix actually livestreaming this, or are they just going to drop the entire season once it's done airing?
Old 01-10-2017, 02:58 PM
Good Bee

Thanks all for the Rakugo recs; my interest is piqued enough to add it to the queue, though it'll still be a little while before I get to it.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:09 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

The Oingo Boingo episode of Jojo was incredible. I didn't think they could top Joseph Fights His Own Arm™, but they did. The anubis stuff was good too. The show is kinda firing on all cylinders now that they got to Egypt (High Priestess was also great, but the ending of it was lame).
Old 01-10-2017, 05:17 PM

Being ill means plenty of downtime to watch new anime...!:

Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Impure King Arc - More Blue Exorcist is a good thing in my book. For those unaware, Blue Exorcist is, for all intents an purposes, a poor man's Fullmetal Alchemist. But instead of alchemy, you have people dabbling in satanic magic, fighting the forces of the devil. If it sounds interesting, watch the first show, but stop at episode 15. The first show (with barely any source material to work with while it was being made) went anime-original after about episode 14-15, and the results were pretty bad. This new show basically pretends that filler content doesn't exist, and throws the viewer directly into the fire right where the manga continues. There's enough explaining and hinting and flashbacks in the first episode to reorient viewers who haven't seen the show in years, so it wasn't discombobulating. But it was still weird. I'd have rather FMA: Brotherhood taken this approach, to be honest. Show is also still very good looking, the characters have a fun dynamic between each other, and the setting is nice. I'll be sticking with this one. My recommendation basically hinges on how "poor man's FMA" sounds to you as a premise.

Interviews With Monster Girls - I played this to see if it would be as gross as the recent Monster Musume show. The result is actually not bad at all. It's very tame, relaxing, and nothing exploitative (no fan service... so far), and is just a very straight forward premise of a teacher teaching a class with monster girls in them. I wouldn't remotely recommend this show, but it's passable SOL so far if you're into that kinda thing. As an educator though, I still find the show kinda creepy. You can just tell all the demi-human girls are going to develop crushes on the MC, and while it'll obviously go nowhere, it's obvious the show means for you to indulge in that fantasy. And for me, that scenario triggers panic, revulsion, and immense discomfort instead.

Gintama. - This looks like the homestretch for the Gintama show/franchise. I've been subconsciously aware of this for a while, but I really think the show has suffered since the departure of its primary director Yoichi Fujita. There's just a certain je ne sais quoi that's missing. The jokes - which used to be hilarious - fall flat more frequently. The adaptation of the manga tends to be extremely literal to a fault. (Gintama was always a very faithful show, but the show always inserted little improvements over the comic, and this used to be one of the few exceptions to the rule about filler being bad.) The comic timing always feels off as well. It doesn't help either that, IMO, these final arcs aren't that great to begin with. They're a little bit too focused on wrapping up business and the comic doesn't have the same flow as it used to. I'll still watch with bated breath however. I'm in waayyy too deep with this show/franchise and its characters/setting. The show apparently also got shoved out of its traditional prime-time broadcasting slot into a late-night one. That's probably best for keeping its toilet humor and rad fights intact, but I'm worried about it suffering in the budgetary department.

ēlDLIVE - (Pronounced more like El-Drive) I'll watch this show for now. The setup is literally just anime-Green Lantern. A super generic anime protagonist gets abducted/inducted into a space-cop order, and he manifests his powers by imagining shit happening and then colored light makes it happen. It's not anything special or worth recommending, but it's a little humorous so far so I'll stick with it until it ends or I get bored.

Chain Chronicle: The Light of Haecceitas - This is apparently based off of a Sega mobile game? The scenario is a super generic fantasy JRPG setting, but the show starts off with the hero and his band of followers failing in their attempt to defeat the Black King (very mid-FF6 kind of scenario) and on the retreat because they're too under-leveled. So we'll see how things go. I like fantasy, and this one seems pretty straight forwards and enjoyable in a popcorn sense. It's also SUPER good looking. Because apparently this is just an edited version of a film trilogy that's coming out along side it in theaters. My recommendation thus far basically hinges on if "generic JRPG fantasy" sounds good to you.

Little Witch Academia - I've never seen the previous mini-films, so I have no idea how much of this is a retread of those things. But the story starts out at square one (MC is on her way to school for the first time) and was mostly establishing the setting and cast. Very charming show so far with a lot of imaginative visuals and fun characters. It's also free of a lot of Studio Trigger's more icky predilections. LWA wants to be Harry Potter really badly, but that's not necessarily a con in my book. @Egarwaen: If you want to watch this show, you'll have to sail the seven seas for now. This is a "Netflix original" meaning it's being held hostage like all anime Netflix snatches up for 'simulcasting'. So you'll either have to make due with fansubs (the ones I watched were pretty good) or wait until the show is over to satisfy Netflix's idiotic obsession with binge watching.

Youjo Senki, aka Saga of Tanya the Evil - It's like last season's Izetta the Last Witch. Except the setting this time around is WWI instead of WWII. And the magic is much less OP and much more mechanized (magic functionally seems more like a replacement for airplanes, rather than something that can single handedly win you the war, and both sides have it). And the MCs fight on the German side. And the MC is also probably evil. And the show wants to be way more edgy. I'll watch it for now. First episode was entertaining enough, and also very good lookin' (lots of real good looking shows this season, I'm kinda amazed). I think I'll need to see more to make recommendations, but those of you who were crazy enough to stick with Izetta last season might find something here.

Tales of Zestiria the X 2nd Season - Show is back. It's still a typical ufotable show, and isn't anything different from S1. Which is to say the whole thing is just a giant advertisement for Tales of the Berseria. I'm really only watching this as a glorified Let's Play because I'd like to play the Tales games myself but don't have the time/attention span to anymore. So unless you have similar motivations or just really really liked that game, there's probably not a compelling reason to watch this show ever, because the plot itself is kinda dull and boring, and the cast is disposable.

ACCA - I don't really know where this show is going, but so far I like it. The plot centers around a well connected and respected guy working for a government oversight/ethics/internal investigations team. The world of ACCA has been at peace for like a 100 years (the show also ominously opens with a news snippet about how the reigning king also just turned 100 years old too) and The Powers That Be begin political maneuvering to shut down this ethics committee for Reasons Unknown, but allegedly because the world is so peaceful it's not necessary anymore. There's some simmering political messages and drama going on in the background, but in the foreground everything is very cheery and beautiful and has impeccable STYLE. The backgrounds are very busy with little details, the characters are pretty expressive, and everyone has the most glorious YAOI-hands. But don't take my word for it pls.

Hand Shakers - Woof. This show is bad. If you've seen the studio's previous works like "K", you'll know what to expect. But this show takes all of K's excesses and problems and cranks everything up to 11. The CGI is so incredibly bad! Worse than anything in K to the degree I wonder if they accidentally let out a work-in-progress for the first episode (if you guys have ever seen leaked DVD-screeners of movies in production that have half-completed SFX, then this is what Hand Shakers looks like). The bare semblances of plot that exist, are also bad. The MC find a girl in a coma, and he awakens her. When they hold hands, he gets special powers to fight with magic. But if he were ever to let her hand go, she'll drop dead on the spot. So he must hold her hand forever now, unless he wants his new waifu to croak. In the first episode, the MC fights another pair of "Hand Shakers" where the two have a really gross S&M relationship, where the dude drags a girl around by a chain and stomps on her crotch to make her orgasm in order to power up his fighting magic. The preview for the 2nd episode centered entirely around the MC having to work out his bathing situation with his partner. Please don't watch Hand Shakers.

Onihei - Gonna mostly echo Kirin's sentiments here, except that I thought it looked kinda bad. There's a lot of moments where the production is clearly cutting corners, or the people on it are inexperienced. Particularly, a lot of the 3DCG backgrounds has this weird effect where the 2D characters look like they're floating through their setting, and things don't mesh well at all (a big problem with Hand Shakers, but not nearly as exaggerated here). In stills, everything looks OK, but in motion everything looks off, and the character animations are at times very jilted. Mostly the show looks like it's being overly ambitious in the visuals department and falling short really hard. If these are the kinds of problems the show faces in episode 1, you can usually bet the problem is only going to be more exasperated as the show goes on and they begin to face deadlines. I'm going to stick with the show because outside of the visuals department, everything is top notch and fascinating (love historical dramas; this has some interesting, adult characters). But considering how hard it is to watch this show (Amazon licenced this show, but is doing the same thing they did to Fune wo Amo last season, so almost nobody can watch it unless you pirate it) I can't really recommend it at the time.

Seiren - This show is basically a very generic dating visual novel lovingly crafted into an anime. So it comes with all the icky baggage that entails. So unless dating VNs are your thing, or you don't mind the special blend of Japanese romance aimed at horny boys, there's not too much going on here.

So as a recap:
Things worth your consideration:
  • ACCA
  • Little Witch Academia
  • Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Cautiously optimistic YMMV shows:
  • Blue Exorcist
  • Chain Chronicle
  • Onihei
  • Youjo Senki

Things I'm watching but wouldn't recommend anyone else do so:
  • ēlDLIVE
  • Interviews With Monster Girls
  • Gintama. (I adore Gintama, but nobody should begin here, 300+ episodes deep)
  • Koro-sensei Quest!
  • Tales of the Zestiria the X

I watch these so you don't have to:
  • Akiba's Trip
  • Hand Shakers
  • Seiren
  • Masamune-kun no Revenge

Also,
March Comes in Like a Lion, and Tiger Mask W are both continuing from last season, and they're both FANTASTIC.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
The Oingo Boingo episode of Jojo was incredible. I didn't think they could top Joseph Fights His Own Arm™, but they did. The anubis stuff was good too. The show is kinda firing on all cylinders now that they got to Egypt (High Priestess was also great, but the ending of it was lame).
You're really in for a treat. Lit every fight from now on is going to be better than the last. Just wait for the D'Arby brothers, or when Oingo Boingo come back, or literally anything involving Polnareff. Battle Tendency might have been the best part in the show taken as a whole, but the Egypt Arc of Stardust Crusaders is the best protracted segment to date because of how well it's paced and how well it continually and successfully escalates the action/drama/ridiculousness.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:48 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Youjo Senki, aka Saga of Tanya the Evil - It's like last season's Izetta the Last Witch. Except the setting this time around is WWI instead of WWII. And the magic is much less OP and much more mechanized (magic functionally seems more like a replacement for airplanes, rather than something that can single handedly win you the war, and both sides have it). And the MCs fight on the German side. And the MC is also probably evil. And the show wants to be way more edgy. I'll watch it for now. First episode was entertaining enough, and also very good lookin' (lots of real good looking shows this season, I'm kinda amazed). I think I'll need to see more to make recommendations, but those of you who were crazy enough to stick with Izetta last season might find something here.
This does sound possibly a bit intriguing, but I just don't think I'm up right now for a show where you're nominally rooting for the fascists, even as obvious anti-heroes or whatever. (Okay, yes, fascism wasn't really a thing yet in WWI it was all just imperialism, but I've yet to ever see Japanese folks take on German history without playing up the fascist aesthetic and I doubt this is going to break the mold.)

Quote:
In the first episode, the MC fights another pair of "Hand Shakers" where the two have a really gross S&M relationship, where the dude drags a girl around by a chain and stomps on her crotch to make her orgasm in order to power up his fighting magic
Jesus Fucking Christ.

Anyway.
Got the first ep of ACCA queued up but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Think that's the last new thing I'm looking forward to.

Oh! Except not forgetting there's a new Lupin movie this season too; the Goemon counterpart to the recent Jigen one. Should be aces, supposed to premiere early next month though who knows when we'll be able to get our hands on it.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:51 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
You're really in for a treat. Lit every fight from now on is going to be better than the last. Just wait for the D'Arby brothers, or when Oingo Boingo come back, or literally anything involving Polnareff. Battle Tendency might have been the best part in the show taken as a whole, but the Egypt Arc of Stardust Crusaders is the best protracted segment to date because of how well it's paced and how well it continually and successfully escalates the action/drama/ridiculousness.
Iggy and Pet House (sp?), goddamn.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:21 AM
The metal babble flees!

Thanks for the write-ups, WH!

ACCA I don't know enough of Japan's politics to say if it's immediately topical for them, but boy did that summary give me a start. And style, too? That's one to give a look for sure.

Blessings to you for watching Hand Shakers to assuage my primate curiosity about it without having to press the button myself.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:46 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
Iggy and Pet House (sp?), goddamn.
Pet Shop, as in Pet Shop Boys. My roommate talks about this fight a lot, so I'm looking forward to it (Iggy is also his favorite character, which seems kinda weird to me when Joseph is right there and also THE BEST). My other roommate talks about how sweet the final fight with Dio is and the fight with Mariah is, so yeah. Seems like there's a lot to look forward to. Which is good because while the show's been pretty solid overall, it was getting a little stale before they got to Egypt...

I watched the first part of the Evangelion rebuild too, but I'll reserve comment until I've watched parts 2/3.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
This does sound possibly a bit intriguing, but I just don't think I'm up right now for a show where you're nominally rooting for the fascists
I'll update after a few episodes to see where this show is going, because I'm not totally sure yet either. But so far, I don't think you're supposed to be rooting for anyone? It's a very "war is hell, everyone is wrong, everyone is a victim" kind of show. The POV of the show wasn't even the titular Tanya, it was a dopey-girl subordinate of her's, who was just doing her best to stay alive and not be a burden on her troop. And ya, so far there's no allusions to fascism here. Everyone gets portrayed about equal, because historically speaking in WWI, everyone was about equal. So far I dig it, but I have no idea where this is going or if it'll continue being a thing I'll dig and can recommend.

Quote:
Oh! Except not forgetting there's a new Lupin movie this season too; the Goemon counterpart to the recent Jigen one. Should be aces, supposed to premiere early next month though who knows when we'll be able to get our hands on it.
Movie = 6-12 months until the bluray drops and fansubbers can start ripping and distributing. And with fansubs being a dying breed, and Lupin III not commanding the respect it deserves among today's young anime-fans, I wouldn't hold your breath for it anytime soon. Edit: OK, after reading into it a little more, it sounds like DVD/BDs will come out a month after it hits theaters, so in March sometime. That said, I still wouldn't expect fansubs in a remotely timely manner, and it'll take Discotek like a year to get it published over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
ACCA I don't know enough of Japan's politics to say if it's immediately topical for them, but boy did that summary give me a start. And style, too? That's one to give a look for sure.
Welcome! Yeah, corruption a big problem in Japanese government, and so is the narrative of being in peace for so long that people take it for granted. Both of those things have been a thing for decades, really. And the Emperor is set to abdicate in a year too. But ya, over here it feels especially relevant thanks to recent events.

Quote:
I watched the first part of the Evangelion rebuild too, but I'll reserve comment until I've watched parts 2/3.
The Eva Rebuilds are all terrible. They simply don't need to exist. None of them act as an improvement upon the original, nor do they exist to fill in any gaps in the lore or world or characters. They're almost entirely cynical cash grabs. The only part of them that's remotely interesting is the fact that the films somewhat attempts to redeem Shinji's (and to a lesser extent, the other main character's) character by simply filling in his character flaws, like by making him more courageous and determined. And as a result, literally everything ends up shittier than in the show. This feels like Anno trying to say something to fans who fail to empathize with the characters and who complain about their shortcomings, thus completely missing the point of Eva. But from what I've observed of Eva fandom, this is something that's gone entirely over most people's heads.

Last edited by WisteriaHysteria; 01-12-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:48 AM

I'm already watching a sequel to my favorite anime of last year. In April, we're getting a psudo-sequel to The Tatami Galaxy* (I'll post the vid again because I was being obtuse earlier and it got ignored):

And in April, we're also getting a sequel to my favorite show of 2013: The Eccentric Family:

2017 looks like a bleak year, but in terms of anime, I'm tickled pink.

*It's not a direct sequel, but is written by the same author, directed by Masaaki Yuasa and made by most of the same people, the story uses the same setting and has some reoccurring characters, but stars separate MCs. It's also going to be a film, so we'll have to wait a little to see it. On a side note: this season, TV stations are re-broadcasting Tatami Galaxy in Japan, and this time they're doing so with a jazzed up OP and it's just... SWELL
Old 01-12-2017, 05:43 AM
Zen-vergonha

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH
The Eva Rebuilds are all terrible. They simply don't need to exist. None of them act as an improvement upon the original, nor do they exist to fill in any gaps in the lore or world or characters. They're almost entirely cynical cash grabs. The only part of them that's remotely interesting is the fact that the films somewhat attempts to redeem Shinji's (and to a lesser extent, the other main character's) character by simply filling in his character flaws, like by making him more courageous and determined. And as a result, literally everything ends up shittier than in the show. This feels like Anno trying to say something to fans who fail to empathize with the characters and who complain about their shortcomings, thus completely missing the point of Eva. But from what I've observed of Eva fandom, this is something that's gone entirely over most people's heads.
I don't think this is true, WH. I mean, about the characters having their flaws corrected - the third movie implies that Shinji didn't make any progress at all. I agree that the movies aren't good, though i like all of them, especially the third one.

Edit: Nice new OP for Tatami Galaxy! Thanks for sharing. I prefer the old version, the somber one, but it was great to watch a different version anyway.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:57 AM

Enjoyed ACCA's premiere. Had always been interested to check out the works of its original mangaka (Natsume Ono), quite dig her character design.

Quote:
Would you mind giving me a spoiler synopsis of how the show ended? I watched about half of it and passively dropped it. But I'm somewhat interested in knowing how the show reconciles the whole "YOU'VE ADOPTED A TANUKI AND THERE ARE SO MANY QUESTIONS" problem that I assumed would eventually sort itself out by having Poco go back to his forest or some shit.
Something like that. The boy literally turned into tanuki at the town festival, in front everyone (*kind of love how nobody freak out at this, most of them just went, "hmm always knew something's amiss with the boy")

Anyway, the transformation's always going to be a temporary thing (to repay the MC's kindness to him in the past) and it can no longer be a human now. Hit the MC real hard since he's already planned for their long-term life and all, but he eventually let go. Very definitive ending/closure.
(Poco's Udon World ending)
Old 01-12-2017, 07:34 AM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Enjoyed ACCA's premiere. Had always been interested to check out the works of its original mangaka (Natsume Ono), quite dig her character design.
We watched it yesterday! I'm having trouble differentiating the five leader guys, despite how different they look, other than that, so far so good. I love the OP and I like the main character, who is exceedingly dutiful but also low-key and cool.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:33 AM
Not a Beer

(Youjo Senki)
Quote:
I'll update after a few episodes to see where this show is going, because I'm not totally sure yet either. But so far, I don't think you're supposed to be rooting for anyone? It's a very "war is hell, everyone is wrong, everyone is a victim" kind of show. The POV of the show wasn't even the titular Tanya, it was a dopey-girl subordinate of her's, who was just doing her best to stay alive and not be a burden on her troop. And ya, so far there's no allusions to fascism here. Everyone gets portrayed about equal, because historically speaking in WWI, everyone was about equal. So far I dig it, but I have no idea where this is going or if it'll continue being a thing I'll dig and can recommend.
Mm, fair enough; I was just going by promo images which unsurprisingly center around spiffy imperial uniforms and such. Good on them if they're actually getting the rough feeling of WWI-style politics. I might give it a shot but more likely I'll wait for you to chime in on where it goes after a few eps.

Quote:
Movie = 6-12 months until the bluray drops and fansubbers can start ripping and distributing. And with fansubs being a dying breed, and Lupin III not commanding the respect it deserves among today's young anime-fans, I wouldn't hold your breath for it anytime soon. Edit: OK, after reading into it a little more, it sounds like DVD/BDs will come out a month after it hits theaters, so in March sometime. That said, I still wouldn't expect fansubs in a remotely timely manner, and it'll take Discotek like a year to get it published over here.
All that is true, but I feel like we got a serviceable sub of Jigen's Gravestone at some point not *too* long after release (though I could be mis-remembering) and, while definitely niche, it was received really well among fans, so hopefully someone will jump on more from the same team.

Also the first new OP you posted looks pretty cool; hopefully we won't need the background from Tatami Galaxy to enjoy it. (Yes, I know you're about to say I should watch Tatami Galaxy, and I'm sure it's great, but time, backlog, etc etc)
Old 01-12-2017, 08:43 AM
The metal babble flees!

I am the worst human on earth. I know this because I bounced off of both Tatami Galaxy and Eccentric Family. The first I can kind of justify because I'm a slow reader, so it was literally impossible to follow. The second I know there's no excuse for.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Zen-vergonha

I'd be interested to know your opinion about Tatami Galaxy, Rosewood!

There are parts of the show that i think might be too geared towards boys (the friendship between Ozu and Watashi, Watashi's sexuality), but the central issues are universal and it is insanely creative. One of my all time favorites. If you are a slow reader, you might be interested in knowing that after a couple of episodes things normalize.

Eccentric Family is really, really good, and it is fun and really easy to watch. *whispers* Watch it.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:52 PM

I liked The Tatami Galaxy but I needed to watch it to the end before liking it. The cool ending kept me going, though.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:18 PM

I bounced off of Eccentric Family after two episodes, too. Not sure why, that's the kind of show I tend to love.

As for Tatami Galaxy... yeah, the presentation can be really daunting at first, but it's something you'd eventually get used to, I think. Gets increasingly accessible with more episodes. Sweet show.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I am the worst human on earth. I know this because I bounced off of both Tatami Galaxy and Eccentric Family. The first I can kind of justify because I'm a slow reader, so it was literally impossible to follow. The second I know there's no excuse for.
Nah, it's OK to not like things! At least you gave them a shot. I will echo what others have said about the pace of Tatami Galaxy. The narrator rushes through things in the beginning, but honestly you don't actually miss a whole lot if you don't catch everything, because:

1) Repetition is a big theme of the show, and the MC manages to repeat most of what he says later on in the show, so you'll catch it eventually.

2) The pace of the narration does slow down and becomes pretty normal about 3 episodes deep.

3) This is just me hypothesizing, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be discombobulated in the beginning and the show is carefully crafted around that fact. It's hard to read that much text, but the guy is speaking just as fast and I imagine it's not the easiest for native speakers to keep up with him either. Plus:

4) The narrator hastily explaining things is, to me, something of a plot point. It tells you a lot about the narrator and what the narrator's ego and what's important to him. He's too self-centered to omit anything about himself and his story, but the things that disinterest or don't hold his attention or don't hold his respect he has a tendency to speed through. So the result is him saying things really really fast to get through what he views as the slog. At least, that's how I saw things. Things he passes over quickly aren't super important to your immediate understanding of the story, and if it's important it will get mentioned later or receive some sort of callback.

I consider both Tatami Galaxy and The Eccentric Family to be somewhat YMMV, because both of them have styles and ask the audience to suspend disbelief to a degree that not everyone is going to be on board with. But they're both executed so well and do their thing so masterfully that people in generally really should try them out to see if it's for them. I *really* really dug the Eccentric Family too. It takes a few episodes for it to really click, but it's such a delightful world with such interesting and well developed characters, as well as some very thoughtful and universal themes regarding family, responsibility, growing up, the nature of love and attraction, etc. Having a sort of dysfunctional family myself, Eccentric Family really hit home in a way I can't remember the last time an anime did in that department. But its style, its writing, its characters, its attention to detail, its themes, its imagination, its enthusiasm and love... I don't like throwing around the "Ghibli-like" phrase very often, but if you told me this show was made by Ghibli or overseen by Miyazaki, I would have believed you.

Quote:
I feel like we got a serviceable sub of Jigen's Gravestone at some point not *too* long after release (though I could be mis-remembering) and, while definitely niche, it was received really well among fans, so hopefully someone will jump on more from the same team.
Looking into the history of things, I'm seeing subs went up for this about a week after a rip got dumped onto the web (which was about 6 months after it premiered in theaters). But the sub group that did so is now basically moribund. I just don't have a huge level of confidence in expediency these days. Especially considering how the recent TV show just got straight ignored by fansubbers.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:11 AM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juca View Post
I'd be interested to know your opinion about Tatami Galaxy, Rosewood!

There are parts of the show that i think might be too geared towards boys (the friendship between Ozu and Watashi, Watashi's sexuality), but the central issues are universal and it is insanely creative. One of my all time favorites. If you are a slow reader, you might be interested in knowing that after a couple of episodes things normalize.
If "geared toward boys" was a deal-breaker, I'd be cutting myself off from a great deal of visual media, including video games. (I'd still be reading, at least. )

Quote:
Eccentric Family is really, really good, and it is fun and really easy to watch. *whispers* Watch it.
Done! Just the first episode. More below.

Quote:
I consider both Tatami Galaxy and The Eccentric Family to be somewhat YMMV, because both of them have styles and ask the audience to suspend disbelief to a degree that not everyone is going to be on board with.
I'm a fantasy fan, so suspension of disbelief failing on those grounds isn't a thing. Characters' behavior and psychology can throw me out far more readily than that.

Tatami Galaxy seems not to be in print on disc in NA (if it ever was), and is not on CR. Eccentric Family we have on disc, so that was my choice. (just lazy.)

First ep of Eccentric Family: Okay, let's get the bristly bit out of the way first. Main character boy's choice of disguise, and the reason for it, yuck. I think I tapped out first time round because the first half of the episode kept banging on about that.

Watching it a second time (originally fell asleep before the midpoint eyecatch), I could see it coming and I very much enjoyed the rest of it. I can even sympathize with the grody old man to some extent, as he sees the young human being able to do things he can't, or no longer can. He also (less the grodyness/alcohol abuse) reminds me of my widowed father-in-law: i.e. the untidy living quarters, being isolated except for one or two people.

I can already see in these three characters a history and way of communicating with each other, that has its tensions but also the comfort of habit. Kyoto's presented beautifully, and the animation level, the somewhat simple or rough-hewn look, is a good fit. Yeah, I'll go on and watch some more of this over the weekend, thanks for the nudge! along with continuing my re-re-watch of the first season of Utena.

Last edited by Rosewood; 01-13-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:27 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Whew. The one-two punch of D'arby the Gambler and Pet Shop in Jojo was a lot to take in.

I literally fell asleep during D'arby the Gamer, though. They reused a gimmick and 90% of the episode was a shitty F-Zero thing? I dunno, man. I haven't watched Part 2 yet but I know it has some of the best anime engrish of all time, so that's nice.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:36 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
In April, we're getting a psudo-sequel to The Tatami Galaxy
I thought Tatami Galaxy was very sweet and beautifully animated. I'll definitely watch.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Whew. The one-two punch of D'arby the Gambler and Pet Shop in Jojo was a lot to take in.

I literally fell asleep during D'arby the Gamer, though. They reused a gimmick and 90% of the episode was a shitty F-Zero thing? I dunno, man. I haven't watched Part 2 yet but I know it has some of the best anime engrish of all time, so that's nice.
GO AHEAD MISTA JOESTER
Old 01-13-2017, 07:46 PM
A Real Man

i started watching initial d and now i'm fighting the urge to pick up some super eurobeat cds

Quote:
I hope you at least caught the end of the fight, which is the best and almost makes up for how fucking boring the rest of that part is.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:58 PM
contains words & diagrams

I was gonna say, the end of Darby the Gamer is the best and also the worst application of Star Platinum's power and the Jojo Twist in general.

Like, did you think Wheel of Fortune was stupid? Darby is 100 times stupider.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:35 AM

Quote:
I'm a fantasy fan, so suspension of disbelief failing on those grounds isn't a thing. Characters' behavior and psychology can throw me out far more readily than that.
This last thing, is a thing for some viewers of this show. There are times where you'll ask yourself "uhhh... why would that character ever do such a thing???" And the answer is usually "Because remember, even though they're anthropomorphized, they're still animals." But in my experience, that isn't always a good enough of an answer for some people.

Quote:
First ep of Eccentric Family: Okay, let's get the bristly bit out of the way first. Main character boy's choice of disguise, and the reason for it, yuck. I think I tapped out first time round because the first half of the episode kept banging on about that.
I'm curious as to why you found that part objectionable? I know I'm probably coming from a completely different perspective, but I generally find the show's views on gender, and the MC's gender fluidity fairly interesting. Society tells him he's being a deviant, but it's not really hurting anyone and he likes to do it, so he keeps doing it, he flouts it in his detractor's faces, and it's a-OK. After all, these Tanuki inherently change their appearances all the time, why draw an arbitrary line at gender? The MC's mom does the same thing too, and the show does nothing but portray it in a great light. "Do what makes you feel good and feels right to you, don't worry about society judging you" is kind of a big underlying theme of the show that gets expressed in a lot of different ways, and this is just one of them. It's an open minded philosophy that feels pretty accepting of "alternative lifestyles" rather than playing into stereotypes or being gross. But that's just how I saw things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboymaster View Post
GO AHEAD MISTA JOESTER
Old 01-14-2017, 04:27 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
I got to say, it's a bad German accent but it's a great over-the-top Cajun accent.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:23 AM
Zen-vergonha

Rosewood, it was nice to read your opinion! It inspired me to start a rewatch of Eccentric Family, too.

Wisteria, that part is problematic to me too because of the usual sexualization of high school girls, which is below the acceptable age for dating in our culture, i think. I mean, he dresses as a high school girl so his master can be happy.

Last edited by juca; 01-14-2017 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:42 AM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juca View Post
Rosewood, it was nice to read your opinion! It inspired me to start a rewatch of Eccentric Family, too.
Aw, how nice, right back at ya!

Quote:
Wisteria, that part is problematic to me too because of the usual sexualization of high school girls, which is below the acceptable age for dating in our culture, i think. I mean, he dresses as a high school girl so his master can be happy.
I should have been more specific, because no, the gender fluidity aspect did not bother me in the slightest. It was this. And on a meta level the implicit appeal to the same ol' audience demographic.

The end of ep. 2 got me a little dewy-eyed.

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road