The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-17-2016, 11:48 AM
Family Man

All the little things that bugged me about the game came to a head during a fight with a Chameleos, aka, The Worst Dragon. I just had enough.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:06 PM
post-mystic lich princess

As much as I personally like Chameleos, I won't deny that the combination of spamming (weak) lingering poisonous clouds, stealing items with fast attacks, rarely providing weakpoint access plus a mostly-armoured body, status and stagger resistance, and obscuring sight while teleporting around is a very hostile escalation of annoyance techniques. Being animated like no other monster in the game, appearing as early as Low Rank, and being stuck in miserable maps like the tight corridors of the Verdant Hills also doesn't help at all. I always end up using ranged weapons against the fourth generation's incarnation of Chameleos to minimize the frustrating elements...

Right now I'm trying to do The Last Supper in P3rd in Low-Rank gear (Out of the Frying Pan as it's named in Generations), and the friend I got into the game is struggling to solo high rank due to how long fights can take. Hrm.

Last edited by Tatterdemalion; 09-17-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:23 AM
The Great

Monster Hunter XX got announced. G- Rank version of Generations. Maybe it will come out here?

I lost interest in Generations pretty quickly, but more content and a balance pass on styles and arts could help a lot.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:43 AM
Dr. of Ys-anomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyGundam View Post
Monster Hunter XX got announced. G- Rank version of Generations. Maybe it will come out here?

I lost interest in Generations pretty quickly, but more content and a balance pass on styles and arts could help a lot.
I'd be shocked if it didn't given how well the series seems to be doing here. I guess since they didn't wait for this version and brought X right over they think the West is ready to be milked with two versions of each Monster Hunter. I'm cool with this.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:03 PM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

Just got Generations because some co-workers were talking shop about it. I wasn't sold at first, and I still kind of miss my farms and boats, but getting to go back to Kotoko is awesome! Also Pokke Village! My biggest misgiving, Hunter Arts, evaporated the second I got Enraged Guard. Plus, it just seems way easier to hit things now? Everything feels just a little bit less stiff, even though I'm sitting in the corner get-off-my-lawning with Guild Style.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:24 PM

Hey, what a coincidence! I just picked this game up again recently. I'm sitting at HR 6 trying to finish my Glavenus set. I played for like six straight hours last night, not sure what came over me, but this game really is scratching a good sort of itch right now.

I'm not sure if I'm playing the game right, because all I really do is jump into an online hunter's hub and fight big monsters with people, kinda ignoring all the town/village stuff. It's fun as hell, though!
Old 12-31-2016, 06:52 PM
This Guy

I've been putting some serious time into this as well. I'm only HR2 and I've only cleared the 4 star single player quests. It's been taking me a long time because I was trying to learn a new weapon, which id's anything but the hammer, but I've been going a lot faster and having more fun nite that I've switched back.

I don't know that I like this game more than 4, but it's growing on me.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:01 PM

I only played like six hours of 4U (which is why I didn't get Generations until now), so this one is gonna get extra points from me that 4U would've gotten already. Can I say I'm super proud of Capcom for making Cephalos and Cephalodromes not a huge pain in the ass to fight anymore? They seem to spend much more time above the sand, and the Dunes doesn't feature unnecessarily large desert sections.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:47 PM

Spent some time with MonHunGen tonight. Basically was just spinning my wheels. Got paired up with a guy that desperately wanted Tetsucabara armor, and it, uh, didn't go well for us. I cost us a win during our first attempt -- It was my first fight against Tetsu, and I didn't expect the larger boulder to fall over on me. After that, it was one victory and then loss after loss after loss. The guy who wanted the Tetsu armor just could not stay alive, constantly trying to mount the thing and getting up in its face despite using a bowgun. I stuck around, hoping the guy would start to figure it out, but no dice. We eventually got another full group of four and started pulling wins out again. In between Tetsu attempts, we were checking off the other HR1 stuff.

I love the new way upgrading weapons works, but damn if all four of my lances don't need stacks of Bealite I don't have access to. I might need to play some more singleplayer just for that. I need to upgrade my recipes anyway, I guess.

Unless they've significantly changed the rank dynamics this time around, I've got one of my two low rank sets finished already. Can't beat Jaggi + Chainmail's Attack (S) and Health + for general purpose low-rankery.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
I love the new way upgrading weapons works, but damn if all four of my lances don't need stacks of Bealite I don't have access to. I might need to play some more singleplayer just for that.
Looks like bealite also opens up at Guild 2*. I'd be happy to lend a hand in that direction.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:39 PM

Can we get together and hunt some stuff?? I'd be happy to help lower HR stuff if needed. This game is tons of fun but I keep getting groups where half the party leaves in the middle of a mission and it's a bummer.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:49 PM

Sure! I posted in the hardcore-awesome thread about being available today/tonight, so let's coordinate over there.

Last edited by Ted; 01-02-2017 at 01:53 PM. Reason: hardcore is awesome forever
Old 01-03-2017, 11:10 PM

Ugh I hate Blangonga so much. I play lance very conservatively, but when I drop my guard to stab it ONCE, it punishes that opening. Both the apes are godawful. I feel like they weren't designed with slower weapons in mind.

I guess I need to learn a fast weapon that doesn't trip peeps 24/7.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:27 AM

Blangonga is not very much fun, and it's double un-fun having it be the Urgent to get into 2* Guild. Things even out quite a bit after that hurdle.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:54 PM

I eventually got paired up with a group that helped out with Blangonga, so I'm HR2 now. I also accidentally got to three star village, so.

My experience with Blangonga taught me I'm gonna need a weapon that can capitalize on smaller openings. I gave Greatsword a try for the first time since the original Monster Hunter, and it turns out the thing has gone through some changes in the past decade.

It's really satisfying, and landing a level three charge - slap - level three super charge - level 3 swing combo is just... Like, it's orgasmic. But it looks like it would WRECK my allies in multi. Is the additional Hunter Art in Striker style worth sacrificing the option of the super charge slash or should I run Guild style anyway just in case the opportunity presents itself?
Old 01-06-2017, 02:29 PM

There are lots of opportunities to land a big fat charged attack, but they mostly involve traps, stuns, or otherwise knocking the monster down. But in groups of four, and especially when you got team mates mounting monsters or laying traps dutifully, getting a monster to keel over for a bit happens a lot. That being said, you should play to how you feel comfortable!

Since I picked up Monster Hunter fresh off the high of discovering Dark Souls, I run Great Sword in Adept style in an effort to maintain a similar play style to how I play those games, that being an emphasis on dodging and hitting stuff with big weapons. Personally I feel like with the toolkit that adept and aerial styles provide, I never find myself needing any more than a single hunter art, if that. I get too preoccupied with positioning and movement to think about how to incorporate any hunter arts. I currently have Brimstone Slash, since it's a very situational hunter art, and before that I had some big slash attack set.

The counter-attack after dodging an attack with Adept style is super nice, and allows you to get a fully-charged attack in like a quarter of the time it takes to get a charged attack off normally. Aerial style is pretty nice, since mounting a monster provides an insane advantage in a fight, but I can't get used to it. I'm so used to rolling as a defensive mechanism, and forcing a jump in my roll is too weird for me to acclimate.

But you're right -- the great sword is SUPER satisfying. I've tried a couple other weapons... hammer, long sword, switch and charge axes, but none have felt as satisfying to me personally. The only one that came close is the long sword, but it doesn't have quite the same impact as the great sword.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:44 PM
post-mystic lich princess

Dual Blades, Long Sword, Insect Glaive, other Great Swords all already seek out flinch armour for their combos, and getting in the smash + sweep charge instead of just the standard overhead-charge sniping is rare enough for tripping the other non-ranged weapons that people will care much less than, say, the constant tripping of those other armoured combo weapons or the full knockback of Sword & Shield / Hammer. Also, unless one of the faster weapons is trying to inflict a status or the target's specifically vulnerable to the different calculations of heavy bowguns, the Great Sword's charge combo outdamages all other weapons on average. Don't worry about using it with others.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:26 PM

Hell, I'd like to have anti-flinching stuff for my lances. I'm up to six of them now. Two of them feel like defined weapons, my Cobalt... Striker I think? and my Ludroth Bone Spear. I'm exploring the weapon tree with the other four.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:08 PM
Random guy

So, I played a bit of this earlier this week with Ted, and I finally got the part I was missing to upgrade my switch axe. Then I had enough attack power to gather enough high-rank parts to make a new armor set, and to upgrade it a few times. And then I had enough defense to get the parts to upgrade my weapon again.

And now I am just plowing through the single player quests. Seriously. Like I beat a Mizutsune in 10 minutes, using only the first aid kits from the supply box and a single potion. Looking forward to play more this weekend!
Old 01-06-2017, 08:33 PM

Accidentally played some Aerial Lance. It'd be the most amazing thing ever if I still had my back hops. I would've much rather sacrificed side hops, since Aerial Lance has plenty of tools to stay all up-ins.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:18 PM

We did some multiplayer hunts tonight over in Hardcore Awesome Forever, and I just need to brag in as many places as socially acceptable that the first Rathian I fought in MonHunGen gave me a Plate.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:31 PM

Way to use up all your lucky drop credits right off the bat. Try having fun with the rest of the game now.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Way to use up all your lucky drop credits right off the bat. Try having fun with the rest of the game now.
Right? I don't even want Rathian gear! Oh well, it's extra-special now that it's happened to me TWICE.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:07 AM

Welp, I broke past HR7 and now my rank restrictions are gone. So I guess now I just do lots of quests!

This game is all I play on my 3DS now.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:00 AM

What was your true HR? I think I unlocked mine at 47.

I've been trying out Hammer for a bit and wasn't really feeling it. I then dipped back into Hunting Horns with Adept and holy crap this is fun!
Old 01-12-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
What was your true HR? I think I unlocked mine at 47.

I've been trying out Hammer for a bit and wasn't really feeling it. I then dipped back into Hunting Horns with Adept and holy crap this is fun!
I'm at 37. Not sure how it's all calculated. Do Village quests count towards hunter rank at all?

Also, sell me on hunter horn. How does it work? What do the different colored notes mean?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:08 AM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
I'm at 37. Not sure how it's all calculated. Do Village quests count towards hunter rank at all?

Also, sell me on hunter horn. How does it work? What do the different colored notes mean?
The colors mean nothing by themselves, but it's the combination of colors that determines the buffs you can put up. At least, that's what I recall.

EDIT: oh right how it works

You've got an X attack, an A attack, and an X+A attack. Each one puts up a different colored note, based on the horn. Your most recent few notes are up on the status bar. Then you can press R when the note lineup matches an effect to play the song. You will have to remember the songs that your horn can play.

I think this is right; though this is based on 4U from a year ago.

Last edited by aturtledoesbite; 01-12-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:22 AM
EARTH FOREVER

That's still how it works, but gen gives you a special note whenever you actually hit something with a note attack. If you play a song that's all special notes you get the effects of that song plus the song you played before that.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:03 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epithet View Post
That's still how it works, but gen gives you a special note whenever you actually hit something with a note attack. If you play a song that's all special notes you get the effects of that song plus the song you played before that.
Ooh, that's neat. Incentive to actually hit things instead of chilling in the back and playing support only.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
As other folks have already mentioned, the Hunting Horn's gimmick is playing melodies. But that's getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

The HH is a relatively agile club with a simple move set, which are the main reasons I find it appealing.

The moveset (for 4U and Gen) boils down to the following:

Code:
Button   Idle        Moving
------   ----------  ------
X        side swipe  forward slam
A        golf swing  double flourish *
X+A      back slam   swipe and pound **
start    hilt poke   hilt poke
R        recital     recital

* changes to hilt poke for adept
** this will knock fellow hunters around
My bread-and-butter moves are the idle+A golf swing and the idle X+A, both of which are great for bonking heads. The idle X+A seems dumb at first because it attacks backwards, but it turns out to be pretty awesome at positioning. It's like landing a reverse elbow drop on the monster.

That brings us to the melodies, which has mostly been covered. Once the notes are chalked up, press R to play the tune with a somewhat lengthy animation. The recital motion results in blows to the monster and pack some punch, so there's some risk/reward going on with where to recite. The resulting buffs apply to all hunters in the zone.

As for the buffs, we're talking things like earplugs, attack/defense up, infinite stamina, and negating status effects. Different horns have different melodies. Buffs last for a limited amount of time, but the duration can be increased in various ways.

Melody buffs can be doubled-up, both in effect and duration, roughly speaking, by re-queuing the notes and playing the same song again. Alternatively, and furthering the risk/reward of recitals, is the "encore", in which you press R again while reciting to immediately toot again, gaining the double-buff without having to queue up the notes again.

One melody is common to all horns, and that's the X+X "self-improvement" melody. Play it to dramatically increase your unsheathed movement speed; it's almost running pace. Consider it an upkeep cost to the awesomeness that is the HH. This only applies to you, dear minstrel, as hinted in the melody name. Doubling it up increased the duration of the effect but not your speed. I'm pretty sure doubling it up also grants no-bounce.

There seems to be the notion out there that HH is just a support weapon but that's getting the cart before the horse. The melody buffs are sweet but HH is a really great weapon in its own right.

For those intrigued, I recommend ignoring the fancy melodies starting out. Focus on getting comfortable with the move set while keeping up your self-improvement song. Once you're grooving, consider expanding your repertoire one song a time. You don't have to use all the songs on your horn.

For lots more info, here's a pretty good rundown.

Tags
action rpg , capcom , digital poaching , dinosaur pants , do it again chen , explodes at 100 seconds , hnnnnnnnnng , japan loves pangolins , kelbi torture , kick the felyne , killbabydinos , monster hunter , more like see-a-douche , nibelsnarf is a dumb name , nobody likes khezu , our love is zinogre , shit japan likes , sooo tasty! , you bastard