The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-16-2016, 12:12 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
I haven't seen many of you good folks online recently. Most recent was over Thanksgiving. Do people mostly play locally once the tourneys are over? I can understand why, the online version isn't as fun to negotiate, and if you don't need beem...

I have made it to Lair branches a few times now. The last floor of snake is the furthest I've gotten. 2nd floor of Swamp, a few steps into Shoals and Spider, haven't tried Slime at all. This game is hard!
I only play online! I find it difficult to go back to the desktop client after spending a bunch of time with WebTiles.

...I just never play. >_<

People 'round here tend to go in fits and bursts, not playing at all for a while, and then playing a whole bunch. In particular, there are often lulls after a tournament, when everyone is Crawl'd out.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Holy Swine

I'm online periodically, but not nearly as much as I was before/during tourney time. Feel free to spectate if you see me!
Old 12-16-2016, 12:20 PM
tied up

Pretty much what JBear said. I can't do local much when I'm too used to online; I just kind of stopped after the tourney.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:15 AM
Fuckin' Crystals, maaaaan

My computer is out of action until the new year, so no crawl for me as it stands... unless webtiles will function on my Wii.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:19 AM

Yea, usually after a tournament I take a break, and then slowly work back into playing.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:18 PM

I dug my grandma's old laptop out of a back room and while it's a SHITTY ass comp, it functions.

I also found the Shield of the Gong on a D:4 shop.

TURTLE

I'M COMING FOR YOUR THRONE
Old 12-18-2016, 10:20 PM
tied up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaularuKyrumo View Post
I dug my grandma's old laptop out of a back room and while it's a SHITTY ass comp, it functions.

I also found the Shield of the Gong on a D:4 shop.

TURTLE

I'M COMING FOR YOUR THRONE
Old 12-18-2016, 10:32 PM

am on rn if you want to watch me die horribly
Old 12-18-2016, 11:53 PM
tied up

he's been immortalized

Quote:
beem: inner flame[5/5]: <laularukyrumo> inner flame is not the strongest spell in the game, but it IS the best spell
Old 12-24-2016, 01:28 AM

It's that time of year so I thought I'd post...

.19 CHRISTMAS CHALLENGE!!!

Gather presents from the dungeon! Who ever escapes with the most presents wins.

The rules:

Add this to your RC file: tile_player_tile = mons:antaeus

If anyone knows how to make that the Santa sprite, please tell us.

Pick any class/race you want. The sprite looks kind of dumb with a weapon and shield coming out of it's thighs so you might want to go unarmed without a shield. But it's up to you.

Escape the dungeon with presents!

Presents are artefacts.

Scoring:
1 point per randart removed from dungeon.
+1 if the artefact has an awesome or hilarious name
+1 if the artefact is extra awesome (or really terrible)
2 points per unrand removed from dungeon.
3 bones points for most coal ("stones") removed from dungeon
+1 points per enslaved elf that you can bring out of the dungeon

Mulligan until you find two presents in a run (presents in shops don't count to this).
Old 12-24-2016, 08:05 PM

For sprite choice, could Crazy Yuif be a better option?
Old 12-24-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBlasto View Post
For sprite choice, could Crazy Yuif be a better option?
Sure! Do it up!

Or if you can find the sprite of the elves with the little red hats!
Old 12-25-2016, 04:44 PM

rip haste/tele/HW wands =(

Also question: you know those vaults that spawn with randart books with fixed spells in them? Do those count as presents? Like the Vehumet's Book of Conjuration that has only Magic Dart and nothing else.

Not that it MATTERS because I got punked before I found anything else that even could be considered a present, so I'm still in mulligan mode, but it's good to know!

Double edit: For that matter, do the gift books from Sif Muna count as presents?

Last edited by LaularuKyrumo; 12-25-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:51 AM

[uninformed scream of the tragically self-absorbed deleted]

Last edited by Westerhof; 12-26-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:09 AM

They did up the rate of HW/tele/haste potions/scrolls and replaced the Deep Dwarf recharge ability with an ability that just dispenses an instant potion with a chance to eat a point of max MP, with about the same rate as you'd get from the recharge ability. But yeah. That's a thing that they did.

also for some reason, just kinda thinking back, it seems like new additions to trunk may or may not make it in, but removals basically always end up in stable releases. Hmm.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
rip haste/tele/HW wands =(

Also question: you know those vaults that spawn with randart books with fixed spells in them? Do those count as presents? Like the Vehumet's Book of Conjuration that has only Magic Dart and nothing else.

Not that it MATTERS because I got punked before I found anything else that even could be considered a present, so I'm still in mulligan mode, but it's good to know!

Double edit: For that matter, do the gift books from Sif Muna count as presents?
Yes, those count as presents. Terrible presents. If you give any self respecting wizard a book with only Magic Dart in it they will probably polymorph you.

However, if you find a book with only "Apportation" in it I'll give you a bonus point for dungeon crawling acumen.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:59 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
They did up the rate of HW/tele/haste potions/scrolls and replaced the Deep Dwarf recharge ability with an ability that just dispenses an instant potion with a chance to eat a point of max MP, with about the same rate as you'd get from the recharge ability.
That is not the same thing
Old 12-26-2016, 11:15 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Heal Wounds wands are stupendously rare (or at least, were, outside of DD starts)? What's there to fix?
Old 12-26-2016, 12:36 PM
index not found

* regret-index sighs heavily to herself.

From previous dev channel discussions about the topic, going as far back as Pakellas dissections, this was supposed to be a focusing away "can nearly do everything for investment in one skill, limited by a trickle of floor drops" nature of the "make every item viable" design path of Evocation items. None of the three top-tier utility needed Evo skill to be super useful, either, and it was floated that top-tier wands should actually involve said uses instead of using recharging scrolls as another way to get a whole bunch of fundamentally useful basic tools.

Like, an alternative top-tier wand of Fire Storm with a max of three charges, or something, to reserve for uniques and branch ends. Something still super interesting and valuable, but not effectively redundant strength. Unifying rods and wands was also supposed to tap into this, and help clean out how the majority of wand types are floor trash after Lair. This was also meant to address complaints about the 52-item inventory limit in a game with nearly-always-available backtracking and what not.

But as always, the main remaining devs don't bother with essay writing or compensational presentation and present reasonably-intended moves in ways that'll just feed the flames of [the loud, rarely informed audience]. Problems are easy to slice at instead of solutions, and a great slice of active devs seem to never quite address how the bloated classical roguelike format can't be entirely converted into modern streamlined conceits without tearing out those who enjoyed the mystique of scale and the comfort of the unchanged. Many times, removals and additions have technically stayed near equal, anyway (though player options are usually squirreled off into the mutually-exclusive gods). [Personally, the innate awkward nature of the format's difficulty curve and my own hyper-familiarity with this mess makes me fine with lategame player nerfs, and there are always interface / medium issues that simply can't be solved with removals and automation instead of restructuring... but whatever.]

[This is why during the holidays I've been screwing around with SMBX instead of doing Crawl work (ugh, even if my own projects were smarter fundamental restructurings). Wanted some platformer medium practice for when 20XX starts soliciting for vault submissions. Didn't want to think about how the best future-proofing would be maximums of three floor branches, or how removals would be received.]

Last edited by Tatterdemalion; 12-26-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:53 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Gerad: I want to talk about trunk.

Me: Enh.

Gerad: Eurghhh.

Me: Don't worry, I'm sure Laula will post something in the thread.

Me: *is right*

P.S.
Me: *is also very druynk*

At my currently level of sobriety, I am litearlly completely unable to parse Tattler's post.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:42 PM
index not found

I started writing a cleaner, jot-notes version of my previous screed. Yeah, no. I've sunk once more into a morose rotting state where I just hover over old un-refuted reasonings on how everything from this game to the devteam to the players are all cursed and how I want to gnaw at my own limbs when I realize I'll be posting in this thread again in less than a month. Fucking inability to ignore threads.

I don't care if I've got horrible writing skills, I've vomited enough words on this topic as is. As my brain starts to boil on a quick cross-reference just spitting out memes, I will tell people to do their own research.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:26 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
I will tell people to do their own research.
K

Quote:
19:02:35 <purge> Is there anything being done to balance the difficulty change of the trunk removal of the wands? Or is the difficulty increase one of the goals?
19:04:25 <minmay> it's not much of a difficulty increase since very few games found those wands before lair
19:04:41 <minmay> and you already get more haste potions in compensation, which makes the game easier if anything
This is pretty much true (at least the first statement; can't speak to the second), and I'm fine with the lategame difficulty increase.

Quote:
16:17:05 <LordSloth> Query related to the removal of wands of heal wounds:
16:17:39 <LordSloth> Anything to be done about randarts similar to Kryia's mail coat (DeviceHeal*2) or the that one vine robe whatever it was
16:25:31 <gammafunk> well we might want to remane the property
16:25:34 <gammafunk> and the mutation
16:26:06 <gammafunk> but yeah those artps seem less relevant
16:26:48 <gammafunk> you'll have more heal wounds pots now on average, and you weren't guaranteed to get the wand before, so I guess nothing has to change
"DeviceHeal" is pretty misleading if !hw counts, honestly

Quote:
<Brannock> https://www.reddit.com/r/dcss/commen...sting_removed/ reasoning within
Quote:
The top-tier wands (heal wounds, hasting, and teleportation) all share multiple
problems. They all provide effects that work best in a limited form (as per
Haste and Teleport Self spell removals in the past), but finding any of the
wands results in a very large boost to the amount available - with recharging
scrolls often to the point of no longer being practically limited. They also
don't require/reward Evocations investment like damage/hex wands, and can't
really be changed to do so without making them provide a new version of the
effect compared to the potions/scrolls.
This is a good rationale that doesn't take mummies or deep dwarves into account -- which is not to say that balance should take a backseat to the oddball races, but this really does feel like the nail in the mummy coffin.

But the real change is that you will never again acq wands

Honestly, I think I'm on board with this change. The "yellow wands" are super swingy, and DD never realistically recharged anything besides HW anyway. I do wonder about the flavor change there, but "dudes that can't naturally heal but can supernaturally heal" makes a little more fantasy-sense than "dudes that can't naturally heal but can supernaturally charge wands," so I can live with that at the end of the day, too.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:22 PM
Red Mage

You could just make the HW wand only avilable in the DD starting inventory and call it a day, it's not like crawl has item destruction (acquirement may need a code tweak).
Old 12-27-2016, 12:54 AM
index not found

oh right one last note

especially fuck how one of the loudest non-dev voices (as in someone consulted and despired regularly for design remarks by other devs) says the entirety of Crawl is won by Lair
Old 12-27-2016, 09:23 PM

welp, I get zero points. Sif gave me two shitty books with nothing good in them, and I got punked in the bottom of lair. =(
Old 12-28-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
oh right one last note

especially fuck how one of the loudest non-dev voices (as in someone consulted and despired regularly for design remarks by other devs) says the entirety of Crawl is won by Lair
Isn't this an aspect of old-school Roguelike design? If you know the system enough to gather the important items and the RNG throws you a bone or two, I think a lot of early Roguelikes are "won" early. Most of my Nethack wins were pretty much won by the end of Gnome, for example. I've never beaten ADOM, but it seems from my experience that by the time you get the Ring you're probably set.

It's fascinating watching Crawl try to incorporate modern balancing techniques on top of the old-school formula.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:00 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crut View Post
I've never beaten ADOM, but it seems from my experience that by the time you get the Ring you're probably set.
ADOM can still throw some late-game curveballs your way. It's easy to say that the Tower of Eternal Flames is the win/loss breakpoint, but if you're going for an ultra win, then all bets are off, and even if you're not, it's easy enough to die in the Mana Palace or D:50 (or even to the corruption timer, if you're taking your sweet time).
Old 01-11-2017, 08:30 AM
Holy Swine

Not that there's a whole lot of heat on the Christmas challenge, but I lost.

I'm actually fairly happy with the run, as ogres are tough, but was done in by a good ol' damage spike.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
Not that there's a whole lot of heat on the Christmas challenge, but I lost.

I'm actually fairly happy with the run, as ogres are tough, but was done in by a good ol' damage spike.
Code:
the +5 giant club of Foul Odors {holy, Stlth+}
I love this. It just the sort of sick irony a Holy God would go for. TSO says, "Smite thine enemies with my holy wrath, but be forewarned that you must carry the burden of BO forevermore to remember thy sacrifice."

I am curious how the Foul Odors increase your stealth. Maybe enemies just want to keep away? Combined with that Ratskin Cloak, you were probably the stinkiest character in the dungeon.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:55 AM

Maybe it's holy, but short for "holy crap, go take a bath and buy some deodorant."

Tags
+72 club , because crawl loves you , carry the black torch , chei of staff , cheigoyle too stronk , chief of staff , dungeon crawl , hubris is smite-targeted , italo disco , jorgrun , line of sight hell , orbit of destruction , orc jesus , roguelike , rougelike , rouse the idle dead , there is no hrm , there is only plaay , xom notices you , zot traps