The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-05-2017, 07:00 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
It's weird how many beats in Sunset Boulevard I know ahead of time because of that one episode of Tiny Toon Adventures.
I remember watching the Tiny Toons bit when I was a kid and wondering why my dad was laughing at all kinds of things that didn't seem to be funny.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:31 PM

I watched Rogue One with my niece while I was in the US: It's pretty good! I do have a huge, huge problem with it, but it isn't an acting/direction/technical problem.

I also watched about 6 movies on my flight back to Japan, because the asshole in front of me would not let me sit comfortably, let alone sleep (though I still crashed for about 3 hours):
Jurassic World - yeah this is entertaining enough. I can see why the director is in charge of SW Episode 9. Though I think SW Episode 9 will be an even heavier "hey remember the original trilogy?" nostalgia movie, considering how this movie was.
Deadpool - decently funny and appropriate to the character, but I agree with the reviews when it came out saying it's just a typical superhero origin story movie sandwiched between some more unconventional, actually entertaining pieces.
Terminator Genisys - I slept through like all of this after they got to 2017 and John Connor came back as the nano-terminator. It was pretty stupid and got too confusing at that point, and wasn't really entertaining at all before that. I am so glad this movie bombed.
Ghostbusters - I also slept through part of this one but I promise it was just exhaustion. I want to watch it again because of a few things: Holtzmann (every single thing I saw her say or do was hilarious) and I liked most of the rest of it as a general story, too.
Shin Godzilla - holy shit you guys they made a Godzilla movie that's like a genuine work of cinema again. It isn't perfect, but it's further proof that the only thing Japanese media knows how to get right is movies. I don't mean to bag on other Godzilla movies, because they're fun and crazy, but this is one that's a lot like the original in terms of how it transcends genres and has some really powerful political statements to be made. It also uses an excellent mix of found footage and other media sources early on.
"Rotten Women" (the plane translation called this Desperate Sunflowers, but the Japanese title is 嫌な女 and when they actually call each other this, the subs say "rotten woman") - another case where a pretty standard 2-hour Japanese movie has some powerfully simplistic messages. It's a character study of two women who are cousins. One is a straight-laced, outwardly cold lawyer, and the other is a potential scam artist. It's got a kinda funny setup, but is mostly a typical 2-hour character study with a pretty simple, yet powerful message: You're fine just the way you are.
Chongqing Hot Pot - this movie was sort of interesting at first, but the ending ruined it for me. Chinese cinema pretty much always demands a happy ending where everyone is united in harmony, and that's what happened here, in spite of the movie going in a totally different direction before that. It clashed in tone remarkably, and treated the few women characters that got names or speaking parts horribly.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:26 AM

Saw La La Land over Christmas and really enjoyed it. The songs are really catchy and I've been listening to the album pretty regularly while working. I wonder if the upcoming Blade Runner film will lean on its critical success if Ryan Gosling ends up winning any awards. Could make for some some interesting marketing... "Come see a gritty sci-fi movie starring the actor who won the *insert award here* for a movie in which he sings, dances and plays piano." Speaking of piano, I was impressed to learn that it is indeed Gosling actually playing in the movie, especially since there's a lot of improvisational Jazz pieces.

Hidden Figures was also excellent, though you'd probably need at least a passing interest in NASA and the history of the US Space Program to get the most out of it.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Not a Beer

I was *going* to see Hidden Figures tonight, but now it's supposed to snow like eight inches sooooooo here's hoping that clears up before it leaves the local art house theater in like a week. :P
Old 01-08-2017, 12:23 AM
gatchapon 3*

Hidden Figures was phenomenal, uplifting, and left me with hope and happiness. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:43 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
Hidden Figures was phenomenal, uplifting, and left me with hope and happiness. I can't recommend it highly enough.
How was Janelle Monáe? I was completely blown away by her in Moonlight. She had a very striking Audrey Hepburn golden age of cinema type presence that I did not expect out of a musician crossing over into acting. I love her music but if she can pull a few more performances like that again I think she might be an even better actress.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:28 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Saw John Wick on the weekend.

A very good and fun action movie. It doesn't rely on a high concept premise (which is funny, because there totally is one lurking in the background of the film involving a secret criminal community that has its own currency), simply an exciting action thriller where the hero just kills everyone. By the time the police show up at John's door, see the murderfest in his house and politely walk away from the whole deal, I realized it was essentially a serious Brock Sampson movie. While it was great, I got to admit I'm not super-hyped for the sequel. It's an exciting movie, but it's also kind of dour. In a way that works for the movie but not in a way that says "YAY! MORE PLEASE!" Still, I might catch it and enjoy it some time and I hope they explore the secret crime society a little more, as long as they don't make the mistake of miring themselves in mythos, a mistake many sequels make.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:00 PM
Remembers Love

The fact that they refer to John Wick as Baba Yaga is either lazy writing* or opens the movie up to all sorts of interesting readings.

*"I guess I only know one Eastern European mythological figure?!"
Old 01-08-2017, 10:01 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Underworld: Blood Wars sure was a movie that got made. To its credit it was better than the 4th movie. But now Selene is even more of an unstoppable badass and they left another goddamn sequel hook. What the hell else do they want from this silly franchise?
Old 01-09-2017, 12:13 AM

I kept seeing ads for that and the supposed final RE movie together, so that's some really competitive marketing.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:02 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Saw John Wick on the weekend.

A very good and fun action movie. It doesn't rely on a high concept premise (which is funny, because there totally is one lurking in the background of the film involving a secret criminal community that has its own currency), simply an exciting action thriller where the hero just kills everyone.
"A guy gets violent revenge after gangsters kill his dog" is unique enough that I'd call it high concept.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:25 AM
Penalty Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
Underworld: Blood Wars ... What the hell else do they want from this silly franchise?
More of those sweet, sweet, foreign BO currencies.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:17 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
More of those sweet, sweet, foreign BO currencies.
foreign BO stinks just as bad as domestic BO
Old 01-09-2017, 11:48 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I kept seeing ads for that and the supposed final RE movie together, so that's some really competitive marketing.
It was definitely shown before Underworld. And that got me thinking they should just soft reboot a bunch of B/C-tier action franchises into a low budget shared universe series of action movies. Just getting Kate Beckinsale and Milla Jovovich in the same movie together be a good starting point. AFAIK, Sony owns both of them. Come on guys, make it happen.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Penalty Box

They chopped the budget on this Underworld down to $35 million, so I'm guessing no one's paying Mila and Paul's respective salaries over at Sony for a crossover if they can help it.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:36 PM

I know this would be a huge waste of his time and talent, but I would love to see Paul Thomas Anderson's take on a Resident Evil movie, and watch it and Paul W.S. Anderson's increasingly absurd/stupid/bad stuff in some kind of head to head double feature.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:54 PM
Oily Butt Thing

watched War On Everyone, the new picture from John Michael McDonagh (The Guard), which is very strange; unlike his past movies, which featured recognizably human characters, this is a buddy cop picture set in a parallel universe inhabited by only superficially human-like aliens. About 10 percent of the humor works as satire, another 10 percent as conventional broad yocks, and then the other 80 is like an inside joke where you're not quite on the inside. I wasn't bored, though. Probably the only movie that will ever feature both "Ante Up" and a bunch of Glen Campbell singles on the soundtrack.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:15 PM
Conquers the World

Last night I finally watched my copy of Hideaki Anno's live-action Cutie Honey adaptation and... I kind of loved it. It's a cheap, weird mess, but it's also super inventive and kinetic - it feels like one the goofy Ultraman student films the Aoi Honno version of Anno would have made. There are a couple of scenes where Honey is animated frame-by-frame using digitally manipulated photos of the actress so that she moves like, well, a Gainax anime; there's one fight where they keep cutting to shots of ragdoll goons being thrown into the air whenever Honey punches them, the whole thing is just a hoot.

Also, the cool laptop girl from Shin Godzilla is in it as Honey's angry cop friend, and there's a scene where she gets drunk and sings karaoke.

ALSO also, the Making Of feature on the DVD is hilarious - my favorite moments being 1) Hideaki Anno awkwardly coaching Honey's actress Eriko Sato (who is wearing only a bath towel) through her Honey Flash pose; and 2) Sato being introduced to the film crew while in-costume for the scene where Honey runs through the streets of tokyo wearing nothing but underwear and a garbage bag
Old 01-11-2017, 05:50 PM
This Guy

I think Ratchet & Clank might be the best video game movie, and I mean that to be damning with faint praise.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:04 PM
oh my car

I've just been to see Ocean Waves (1995), one of the Studio Ghibli movies that never made it out of Japan. It's a nostalgic romance with an emphasis on the psychology of the leads, in the vein of Whisper of the Heart or From Up on Poppy Hill, but without even the minor twists of those respective films' fiction segments or historical setting. Not, I think, as visually interesting as a Miyazaki or Takahata joint, but the watercolors backgrounds and the distinctive white-background windowbox effect for the transitions nicely complemented the subdued and distant tone.

It does hold the distinction, I think, of being the only Ghibli ever to contain a giant robot.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:21 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
It does hold the distinction, I think, of being the only Ghibli ever to contain a giant robot.
*ahem*

Old 01-11-2017, 08:32 PM
oh my car

Pardon me. A mecha. Some Gundam knock-off or other.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Family Man

How come there is a robot with laser eyes fighting people with civil war era weaponry?
Old 01-11-2017, 09:13 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
How come there is a robot with laser eyes fighting people with civil war era weaponry?
The question you should be asking is, How come I, R.R. Bigman, haven't watched Castle in the Sky yet?
Old 01-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Family Man

I don't like Ghibli movies much.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:24 PM
oh my car

Quote:
I don't like Ghibli movies much.
Then the answer to your first question will disappoint you anyway.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:24 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Last night I finally watched my copy of Hideaki Anno's live-action Cutie Honey adaptation and... I kind of loved it. It's a cheap, weird mess, but it's also super inventive and kinetic - it feels like one the goofy Ultraman student films the Aoi Honno version of Anno would have made. There are a couple of scenes where Honey is animated frame-by-frame using digitally manipulated photos of the actress so that she moves like, well, a Gainax anime; there's one fight where they keep cutting to shots of ragdoll goons being thrown into the air whenever Honey punches them, the whole thing is just a hoot.

Also, the cool laptop girl from Shin Godzilla is in it as Honey's angry cop friend, and there's a scene where she gets drunk and sings karaoke.

ALSO also, the Making Of feature on the DVD is hilarious - my favorite moments being 1) Hideaki Anno awkwardly coaching Honey's actress Eriko Sato (who is wearing only a bath towel) through her Honey Flash pose; and 2) Sato being introduced to the film crew while in-costume for the scene where Honey runs through the streets of tokyo wearing nothing but underwear and a garbage bag
I felt much the same way. It was one of the only times I think "live action anime" was done well.

There is also a 3-episode series called Re: Cutie Honey by Gainax that was fun, and could potentially have been intended to follow after the movie. It's...very Gainax. More latter-day, extremely cartoony Gainax, but Gainax all the same.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:45 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Straight answer:

Because the robot originates from the floating city of Laputa, a hyper-advanced civilization that has fallen into ruin and is now abandoned. During its wars with other countries, Laputa razed the surface kingdoms, so they were much further behind in technological development and barely have combustion engines and flying machines at this point.

Also because Miyazaki basically invented the sword vs laser setting that birthed Final Fantasy. The Floating Castle and its wayward robot are direct homages to Laputa.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:04 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Yay, I managed to catch Moonlight. I think it's as good as everyone is saying it is. The first two chapters were good but it's in the third where this movie became excellent for me. I was surprised when it ended.

The one element that didn't work for me was Naomie Harris and her character. One, she could not pull off that accent. Two, I had no idea why her character was so messed up or why she was fundamental to the story, even though she's the kid's mom. It seemed like she was there to add more misery to the proceedings as a stereotypical drug-addicted Bad Mom. I felt she needed to be fleshed out more.

Granted, a lot of things are not fleshed out in this movie (why does the drug dealer decide to mentor the kid?) and it felt like certain parts were meant to be ambiguous, including the main character himself.
Hey I just got back from this. So so(?). Still ruminating.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:13 AM
Not a Beer

I don't even remember the mecha cameo in Ocean Waves (that's the english title of Umi ga Kikoeru, right?), were they watching one on TV or something?

(One could also argue the God Soldier in Nausicaa is a robot, though it's clearly mostly organic and now I'm just nerd-picking.)

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road