The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-05-2017, 10:17 PM
Toxic Boots

I'm so sorry, RR. It's just a poorly considered fight, no bones about it.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:09 AM
Furniture

On the other hand, Dagda tempts you into Dark Boy route by trying to convince you your friends are useless. The ones who cheese fights for you whether with their individual abilities (Gaston aside) or with the stupid overpowered team attack that you can't even opt out of. Even Persona lets you cancel All-Out Attacks!

Only the darkest (or most jaded) boy may go down this path.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Family Man

I couldn't stay away! I bumped the difficulty down to Conflict, and got through it the first try. The fight is still difficult, but manageable, unlike on War where an unbuffed Supernova can kill most demons and the Samurai Squad at full health. I also noticed that the Compendium prices are effected by the difficulty. My Matador full of Nulls, Repels and Draconic Reaction went from around 188,000 macca to 65,000 macca.

I feel bad I couldn't bear the whole game on hard, but from what I've read the last battle is simply not balanced on the harder difficulties.

The fact that nothing changes after killing YHVH makes me wonder what the point of fighting him was?
Old 01-09-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
I couldn't stay away! I bumped the difficulty down to Conflict, and got through it the first try. The fight is still difficult, but manageable, unlike on War where an unbuffed Supernova can kill most demons and the Samurai Squad at full health. I also noticed that the Compendium prices are effected by the difficulty. My Matador full of Nulls, Repels and Draconic Reaction went from around 188,000 macca to 65,000 macca.

I feel bad I couldn't bear the whole game on hard, but from what I've read the last battle is simply not balanced on the harder difficulties.

The fact that nothing changes after killing YHVH makes me wonder what the point of fighting him was?
The point was killing him off so that humanity doesn't get caught up in another Law vs. Chaos conflict. Of course there's nothing stopping Tokyo-chan from becoming egocentric and powerful, or Danu for that matter.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:46 PM
Toxic Boots

Yeah, yeah, yeah!

The point of fighting YHVH was that they needed to escalate the conflict scale compared to the previous game's final bosses, and, building off of the traditional Law and Chaos schema seen in SMT4, YHVH is literally the only option the series has that would fulfill that escalation. And I'm being pretty kind here. I'll leave it to you, now that you've experienced it, as to whether or not they were successful at integrating him into the plotline.

I had no idea you were playing on a higher difficulty. I always play games on normal and had no clue about the increased compendium prices. Wow. It's probably to discourage abusing it to pass broken skills around, but it might convey the wrong message to some considering the money DLC set.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:06 PM
meowgician (chateleur)

guys please stop posting in this thread. my crops are dying, my animals have fallen ill, snakes are physically manifesting in my home
Old 01-09-2017, 07:22 PM
Are You Sure About That?

So, you live in Arizona?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:53 PM
MOE~

Now that the dust on this has settled a bit, what's the consensus?

I really, really liked SMT IV in spite of itself and its problems. It's systems felt so fluid, and rewarding. But the UI is really dense at times navigation leaves a bit to be desired. The storyline is structured as a series of fetch quests and errends, and by the time it starts to get interesting e.g. Nocturne, the black and white morality kicks in and you aren't given any time to explore the moment between that space. Because most of the screen time was spent on talking about manga, or seeing Jonathan and Walter interact in predictable fashion.

So, uh, with all that said and what I've seen and heard of this game outside of its context I'm thinking on skipping this.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Toxic Boots

Bite on it for $20 or less. You will like the way they rebalanced the gameplay. That's what I'm waiting for. It's currently $20 too much.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:51 PM
Find Your Reason

Meanwhile, I just got a digital copy of the original SMTIV so I don't have to switch carts to hunt Black Rider in between Pokemon sessions (update: still no Rider. If my cart was bugged, so was the download. Maybe the save file itself is bugged.) If anyone wants a clean copy of IV in excellent condition let me know!
Old 01-12-2017, 10:34 PM
MOE~

when you lock some of the best content in your game behind RNG that makes gacha look fair.

"1/256 chance to pull Black Rider"

but then, you know, needing all the other 1/256 fiends to fuse him. because you only unlocked his fusion, and not the unit itself.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:23 PM
Toxic Boots

Dijeh translated YHVH's profiles from the artbook. I didn't think they'd have much of interest, but they do confirm some of the theories we had about the second form (only stupider....somehow). Check them out on the blog, or right here:

YHVH 1: The actual One God of monotheism. The One God praised by Judaism, Christianity and Islam. He is the omnipotent existence that created heaven and earth and made man in his own image, but this also means that together with the angels, his bunrei*, he also gave birth to demons. By giving humans bodies of flesh and bone, their lives and fears were repeated in the endless cycle of death and rebirth, restricting their range of observation.

*the division of a god into separate "parts"; however, it's completely off-base when it says that YHVH is directly responsible for birthing demons. It's only true from a certain perspective, if you consider the existence of demons to be dependent on him effectively condoning them.

YHVH 2: The first form was the head of the first man, Adam, created in his own image. However, the second form turns into a strange chimera that resembles a demon. The goat wanted by god in the Scriptures, the snake that tempted Eve in Eden or the swarm of locusts that appeared in the Exodus, threatening the Pharaoh if he refused to free the Jews, all can be seen in this form. Each part of the chimera is connected to the other.

This is canon, folks:

Old 01-28-2017, 03:55 PM

And here I thought that YHVH made a deal with Set to help him free the Jews, then demonized him when the deed was done.

Mostly because no one in the game ever makes mention to the Bible, except for Shesha Flynn. I honestly thought most of the world's art, literature and religious texts were destroyed in the nuclear fire.

Last edited by Rising Force; 01-28-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:56 PM
Toxic Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Force View Post
Mostly because no one in the game ever makes mention to the Bible, except for Shesha Flynn. I honestly thought most of the world's art, literature and religious texts were destroyed in the nuclear fire.

Pretty rotten sign when even an Incubus is saying you need to hunker down and read the Word.

Plus:

I wrote a long analysis about Dagda: Dissecting Dagda

Here's what to expect:
  • Comparison between mythic Dagda and 4A's Dagda
  • I mention Ellio's pizza slices once
  • A total embarrassment and waste of space
  • Myriad self-contradictions
  • Friedrich Nietzsche
  • The greatest demon from Strange Journey
  • No mentions of Cu Chulainn
  • Many people will only skim the article and argue at me over groundless assumptions
  • Lots of exclusive, kewl members-only info
  • Billy Mays here with Hostess Turtles Pies
  • Lots of bias towards the value of myth and culture, when the game clearly says HIJIRI IS MAGUS
  • Meh, a few other things

Tags
atlus , bustin makes me feel good , cu chulainn , ejaculating sea cucumbers , forbi , megaten , rpg , shin megami tensei , slimer navarre