The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 01-04-2017, 01:16 PM
Mystery Contraption

Zaryas idea of fancy dress is a three-piece track suit, and probably carrying around an entire ham, eating it like an apple. Or at least a can of Vienna sausages.

I appreciate that her dress is built around showing off her guns, however.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:39 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
it occurs to me that we got swept up into the niceties of formal wear so quickly that I don't think anybody remarked on how the ladies are drinking cosmos out of a hot dog's butt.

so that base is covered now.
Wrong thunderdome.

re: Zarya

Like, they grew out Zarya's hair and gave her a dress. I love High Femme beyond words but OW has opportunities for that and imposing femme sensibilities upon Zarya is just a really puzzling choice. Like, why?

Even if it is Tracer's haircut, it's still two orders of magnitude Less Butch. She'd rock a suit. Even without a suit, those heels wouldn't be an awesome choice for her for structural reasons alone - they're going to snap. A double slit gown with stockings makes it look like she stole something out of Symmetra's closet and had it tailored. It kind of reads like she's Renouncing The Stone (butch) and that is a little sad cause she's got a great design that should be embraced. The costume sabotages it.

Evening wear that wouldn't sabotage the design (as it is): suit. Tux might be a little much. No tie. Jacket off, over shoulder. Cuffs open and folded back. Suspenders or embroidered vest to add color besides pink. Let her butch out, show the guns off. VERY slight, chunked boot heel. I'm not blizzard but if I were designing Zarya's costumes I'd never put her in anything that she'd have to change out of in an emergency situation. Even pushing femme, I'd assume shoulderless, no cleavage, mid-thigh, no-slit, tight at the waist - i can't get reference material atm, but very mid-century. Conservative & functional.

(Note: none of this is fashion advice, wear stilettos all damn day long, rock the hell out of them no matter who you are, because fashion is a bullshit concept anyway. These are thoughts on costume design, not on fashion, and the point of costume design is to subliminally emphasize aspects of a character rather than to Look The Way You Feel Best)

I dunno enough about hanboks to talk D.Va. I guess the artist picked "Tinkerbell" over "Tracksuit" for Tracer. Mercy needs to take her damn wings off but she's maybe a nod to Winged Victory of Samothrace so points for that I guess.

Widowmaker is super fucking on point for her design, just right there, not that it's a super hard jump to where she is - the boots are basically in-game costume and the fascinator's a bit on the nose - but still, like, costume-wise that's basically everything you need to know about her, dramatic, french, obsessed with death, maybe kisses girls once in a while, goes to operas to be seen and leaves 30 minutes in.

Last edited by Kylie; 01-04-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:56 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
I'm not letting teg's selection pass without mentioning that I love Nanu being both a crazy cat lady and a renegade cop.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:36 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
Wrong thunderdome.

re: Zarya

Like, they grew out Zarya's hair and gave her a dress. I love High Femme beyond words but OW has opportunities for that and imposing femme sensibilities upon Zarya is just a really puzzling choice. Like, why?

Even if it is Tracer's haircut, it's still two orders of magnitude Less Butch. She'd rock a suit. Even without a suit, those heels wouldn't be an awesome choice for her for structural reasons alone - they're going to snap. A double slit gown with stockings makes it look like she stole something out of Symmetra's closet and had it tailored. It kind of reads like she's Renouncing The Stone (butch) and that is a little sad cause she's got a great design that should be embraced. The costume sabotages it.

Evening wear that wouldn't sabotage the design (as it is): suit. Tux might be a little much. No tie. Jacket off, over shoulder. Cuffs open and folded back. Suspenders or embroidered vest to add color besides pink. Let her butch out, show the guns off. VERY slight, chunked boot heel. I'm not blizzard but if I were designing Zarya's costumes I'd never put her in anything that she'd have to change out of in an emergency situation. Even pushing femme, I'd assume shoulderless, no cleavage, mid-thigh, no-slit, tight at the waist - i can't get reference material atm, but very mid-century. Conservative & functional.

(Note: none of this is fashion advice, wear stilettos all damn day long, rock the hell out of them no matter who you are, because fashion is a bullshit concept anyway. These are thoughts on costume design, not on fashion, and the point of costume design is to subliminally emphasize aspects of a character rather than to Look The Way You Feel Best)

I dunno enough about hanboks to talk D.Va. I guess the artist picked "Tinkerbell" over "Tracksuit" for Tracer. Mercy needs to take her damn wings off but she's maybe a nod to Winged Victory of Samothrace so points for that I guess.

Widowmaker is super fucking on point for her design, just right there, not that it's a super hard jump to where she is - the boots are basically in-game costume and the fascinator's a bit on the nose - but still, like, costume-wise that's basically everything you need to know about her, dramatic, french, obsessed with death, maybe kisses girls once in a while, goes to operas to be seen and leaves 30 minutes in.
Can we agree Mei is Bae?
Old 01-04-2017, 04:46 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Mei is hard to Play, that's for sure. If you're me and have exactly jack and shit idea what your team is doing at any given time. pfff strategy w/e

I'm an ideal zarya/mercy/hanzo because then I either get to dictate my team's actions, follow them happily and hope they save me, or ignore them completely and get play of the game when my cat jumps on the keyboard to beg for food (i never play hanzo).

I have no idea how to read her costume except it gives me (a person who understands in only the most general sense what a cheongsam is) an understanding of which portion of the world someone in her family comes from. Beyond that, it seems way colder than how she normally dresses. And way less modest. Is she comfy in that?

Because when I look at her I'm not seeing "bae." I'm seeing "D.Va saw a teen movie once and decided to give her a makeover and it's super cute but her dress is a size too small for her and she can't actually move at the knees and to add insult to injury Hana took her glasses off, cause that's the finishing touch that makes sweet goofy nerds into Pretty Girls, right? Except now Mei's legally blind and carrying a tray of booze and glass around a bunch of high-strung killers and things are about to get tragic."

None of this should obscure the fact that the artist is awesome and talented as fuck and the fanart isn't wrong or bad because there's no such thing as that. I'm a theatrical costume design junkie in repression and I have a really specific interest in what people try to say with clothing and hairstyles when they put them together in fictional creations. In this case, some of it's "this looks cool and is culturally authentic" and that's pretty amazing tbh.

Her hair's badass tho that musta taken some time.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:44 AM
King Of Space-Time

A more traditional DVa

And more birb Reapers
Old 01-09-2017, 06:13 AM

Old 01-10-2017, 07:22 PM
You barely one that one

That was awesome.

Including the sleep pictures make it look like the Charmander went from hatching to adult in 4 days. How time flies, my child!
Old 01-10-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost from Spelunker View Post
That was awesome.

Including the sleep pictures make it look like the Charmander went from hatching to adult in 4 days. How time flies, my child!
I've hatched and level-capped Pokémon in the same day before. Who knows how fast Pokémon age!
Old 01-11-2017, 10:14 PM
medical coma

Maturity and level are sometimes separate.

-fortune
Old 01-15-2017, 08:27 PM
King Of Space-Time

Old 01-16-2017, 02:05 PM
>MAGIC

I love these.

Tags
art , disney princesses , dump thread , fanart , fandom , metroid thread , my time here is ogre , random