The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-20-2016, 10:48 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Columbo is middle class at best, with a disheveled appearance and a run down car, but almost all of the culprits are rich.
Million Dollar Listing of all places had a gag about that this week, as they were looking over a John Woolf house and Josh Flagg said "this is the type of house you'd see in the last scene on Columbo."

(Woolf famously was an architect to the stars in the 40s - 60s and his houses show up in a lot of movies.)
Old 12-21-2016, 07:15 AM
Smudged

Man, season two of Scream Queens was pretty disappointing, even for a show that likes to be as vapid and stupid as possible. The "someone dies every episode" gimmick doesn't really work if most of the victims are introduced in the same episode they die in, or if the show just straight-up tells you that the only reason a character exists is because the writers need a body count and they don't want to kill off anyone they like. Radwell's death is the only one that had any impact. Also most of the twists were just carbon copied from last season.

It's a shame, because the first season is a lot of fun, and ended perfectly. The show's ratings have been low, so I doubt it'll get renewed for the Blood Island season they clearly want to do. Why do Ryan Murphy shows always spin off the rails so quickly?
Old 12-21-2016, 11:29 AM
so exciting!

he has adhd and he's all like "oh man i have a cool idea for a thing" and then he does the thing but loses interest halfway through to start working on a new thing he had a cool idea for
Old 12-21-2016, 04:46 PM
Mystery Contraption

Just discovered Comedy Bang Bang, years and years after everyone else did.

Should have let that genie out of the bottle before now!
Old 12-21-2016, 05:02 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Just discovered Comedy Bang Bang, years and years after everyone else did.

Should have let that genie out of the bottle before now!
I'm hesitant to mention that it is based off a podcast that has been around forever.

I can't think of a bad episode of the TV show (the Kid Cudi episodes weren't great) but I think I liked the first one they aired with Amy Poehler the best.

"I asked for dry cleaning, Mavis, this is sopping wet!"
Old 12-21-2016, 05:17 PM
Mystery Contraption

Now you might think that news would discourage me.

But now look at all this stuff I can enjoy! Christmas done come early!

I also skipped ahead to the Christmas Special. A wise idea.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:24 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Now you might think that news would discourage me.

But now look at all this stuff I can enjoy! Christmas done come early!

I also skipped ahead to the Christmas Special. A wise idea.
Did you ever catch Kroll Show when it was on? A lot of those characters started on the podcast (the too much tuna guys, for one).

If you didn't watch Kroll show, put it on your list. Starts out fairly hit or miss, but got much better after the first season and ended pretty much on top. The Degrassi parody "Wheels Ontario" is particularly delightful every time it shows up.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:56 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
I can't think of a bad episode of the TV show (the Kid Cudi episodes weren't great) but I think I liked the first one they aired with Amy Poehler the best.
No co-host ever matched Reggie Watts but I will say the first Kid Cudi episode is pretty damned strong, thanks in no small part to Michael Cera's comedy skills.

"Why are you so mean to him?!"
"Why are you so good in Arrested Development."
"Oh, thank you."
Old 01-03-2017, 05:26 AM
Gesundheit!

I'm pretty immediately hooked on Westworld. I didn't realize going in that the show is basically about video games, but it makes so much sense.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:45 AM
noble beast

Apparently, Catastrophe's second season aired a few months after its first. (so it's been more than year) It's fantastic.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:37 PM

Apparently The OA is a love it or hate it show (I'm on the love it side of the hill), but it bears watching for its sense of weird-seemingness if you can stomach the horror bits.

As for Columbo, it has an episode with Robbie the Robot. I'm totally not kidding about that, and that is not a knock on the show.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:11 AM
noble beast

The Young Pope is my generation's The Slap. Not gonna watch, but keep the tweets coming, everybody. I might watch
Old 01-07-2017, 06:38 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
The Young Pope is my generation's The Slap. Not gonna watch, but keep the tweets coming, everybody. I might watch
Your generations turn over very quickly. Are you a mayfly?
Old 01-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Goodbye!

It's kind of funny that Max Landis made one of the villains in Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency Harry Plinkett, given his weird history with Red Letter Media.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:43 PM

I watched Emerald City yesterday. I'll be shocked if the rest of the mini series airs. I just don't know what audience this is for.

Its way darker than Wizard of Oz. There is a fatal gunshot to the head of the Witch of the East. The Witch of the West heads up a brothel. I'm not sure network television is the ideal place for this version of the story.

I thought Emerald City was okay. It reminds me of the Cell, the visuals are interesting, but the story is not super compelling. I imagine a lot of people tuned out quickly.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:52 AM
Gesundheit!

I just watched the first season of Chewing Gum on Netflix in a week or so (only six episodes). It's kind of like a British working-class Broad City, focused on sex and religion, but that undersells what a distinct identity and voice it has. The lead (Michaela Coel) is one of the most expressive, talented comedic actresses I've seen in a while. As a ruddy American, I admit I found the accents a bit tough to understand at points, though.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:06 AM
It's all good, man

I'm two episodes into the British House of Cards. It's easier to follow that I expected and mostly good, but it seems weird that the PM doesn't suspect Francis for a second? Is this addressed in the US version?
Old 01-09-2017, 07:17 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

The Whip is a position generally thought to be filled by your most loyal, yet least ambitious, MP. That's kinda what makes the whole thing work.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:31 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
Wait, The Slap earned more tweets than whatever it got during its premiere episode? I thought it vanished into obscurity within seconds of that episode's closing credits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voncaster View Post
I watched Emerald City yesterday. I'll be shocked if the rest of the mini series airs. I just don't know what audience this is for.

Its way darker than Wizard of Oz. There is a fatal gunshot to the head of the Witch of the East. The Witch of the West heads up a brothel. I'm not sure network television is the ideal place for this version of the story.

I thought Emerald City was okay. It reminds me of the Cell, the visuals are interesting, but the story is not super compelling. I imagine a lot of people tuned out quickly.
My impression of Emerald City is that someone dug up all the fantasy books and tabletop RPGs they enjoyed in high school, set to work for months on world-building and sketching out details of tribes, cultures, settings, and politics, pitched it as a Game of Thrones for primetime TV, and... forgot to actually include any characters or storytelling in their richly-defined world, so they grabbed whatever license was cheapest and shoehorned it into their fantasy campaign.

You ever read a fanfic where the author clearly has their own ideas for a story, but isn't confident enough to sell it as standalone so they use pre-existing characters to appeal to readers? Except they only use the names and the vaguest descriptions of those characters? Emerald City feels exactly like that. I watched all the way to the end of the 2-hour premiere, and might watch one or two more episodes, just to see how far it gets from anything Wizardly or Ozzian.

(Bets on the Tin Man being an ancient robot created by a Final Fantasy-style hyper-advanced culture that has long since vanished? Ooooh, I bet that'll be the Nome Kingdom.)
Old 01-09-2017, 07:36 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
The Whip is a position generally thought to be filled by your most loyal, yet least ambitious, MP. That's kinda what makes the whole thing work.
I guess it's sort of a Breaking Bad thing, where he gets snubbed for the cabinet seat he wanted and says "all right, fuck being loyal". He just never comes across as unambitious in the show.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:38 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I'm two episodes into the British House of Cards. It's easier to follow that I expected and mostly good, but it seems weird that the PM doesn't suspect Francis for a second? Is this addressed in the US version?
The US version portrays every single person in DC except FU & wife as a gormless innocent on the level of young Homer Simpson in NYC.

Not Francis: Let's meet at the abandoned warehouse where I will show you the only copy of this devastating evidence I have on you.

Francis: Come alo-wun, ah'm nawt gawnna keeeul yeeeuw.

Not Francis: What am I, a fucking idiot? Of COURSE I'm coming alone!
Old 01-09-2017, 07:40 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

He's outwardly unambitious - he has to be "pursuaded" to run for the leadership in the first place - but it's clearly his (or, hell, his wife's - although she was more prominent in later years from what I recall) intent from the moment Maggie resigns.

Francis knew he'd never have a shot at winning a power struggle against Thatcher, so he subsumed any desires he had and played the loyal soldier. When the wets portrayed in the series as her successors were in line to take over, Francis didn't have to show loyalty any more (although since Thatcher is still clearly alive when the series kicks off it's always a bit odd that she's not portrayed as having much of an influence on the Tories).

That's what I love about the UK version: there's no ambiguity that the preceding PM was Thatcher, and contrasting their legacies drives the majority of the third series. US political shows tend to shy away from that (EG, West Wing's #1 rule being to never name any president after Kennedy).
Old 01-09-2017, 07:50 AM
It's all good, man

Yeah I get that he presents himself that way but it still comes across to me as Hiding Something. It mostly works, but when the PM asks him who leaked the internal poll and he blames the party chairman, and the PM just takes his word without question, I was like, what?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:08 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I think that's just the omniscience of the viewer coming into play. The PM doesn't suspect anything because why would he suspect the Whip? The Foreign Secretary or the Chancellor, sure, but not the Whip....
Old 01-10-2017, 09:59 PM
This Guy

Did anybody else watch Taboo? Is it worth its own thread? I liked the first episode quite a bit. The setting was great, Tom Hardy Tom Hardied all over the place and probably banged his sister and it revealed just enough to keep me anticipating the next episode. I just really liked it.

I also watched Netflix's 8 episode Tarzan & Jane CGI animated show. The animation was occasionally frequently terrible, but the concept of "what if Tarzan was also Spider-Man" worked well enough for me. If the show wasn't so miserably ugly I think I would have really enjoyed it.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:38 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Tom Hardy Tom Hardied all over the place and probably banged his sister
So it's like that other Taboo
Old 01-11-2017, 07:59 AM
Mystery Contraption

I'm not sure if I'd forgotten, or because of the scatter-shot method it was aired in syndication is never realized it before, but there's a Seinfeld two-parter that deals, in part, with Kramers inability to poop.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:29 AM
is Earnest

He missed his chance!
Old 01-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Mystery Contraption

What's weird is I recognize and have frequently used the term "Dreaded Apparatus" in the interim years many times.

Not in the same context, mind. It's just a good name for things I try not to use.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:07 PM

I saw this series trending on Netflix called The Eighties. I wasn't alive in the eighties, so it's cool to get perspective on the cultural touchstones of the decade. I've already finished the series and have started moving backwards into the seventies. While I know of Watergate by cultural osmosis, it's interesting to see how it impacted the public consciousness in America. Riveting stuff.

Tags
bingewatch purgatory , fear of new threads , sex house , television