The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 11-16-2016, 02:59 PM
World of Darkness Returns

I keep forgetting that Civil War II is a thing that is even going on since 99% of Marvel has already moved on.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:27 PM
Time is Luck

coming next year from our dude Tom Scioli: TRANSFORMERS VS GI JOE THE MOVIE

(which is not actually a movie, but if there were a movie, this one-shot would be the comic book adaptation)
Old 12-21-2016, 12:28 PM
Mystery Contraption

God I love that crazy, crazy man.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:45 PM
Find Your Reason

Regular TF vs movie Joes? Hama Joes vs Bayformers? Bayformers vs movie Joes? Regular TFs vs Hama Joes, movie-style?
Old 12-21-2016, 01:46 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
26 hits the Wednesday before Christmas.
(Checks calendar) HEY!

Quote:
Regular TF vs movie Joes? Hama Joes vs Bayformers? Bayformers vs movie Joes? Regular TFs vs Hama Joes, movie-style?
Yeah, this is a very,very loaded question. I presume Bayformers vs Channing Tatum and The Rock?

Not to mention that I've mostly hated IDW's Revolution stuff thus far so I don't know how to take this.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:09 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Better; Scioli Joes and TFs.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:15 PM
Time is Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
(Checks calendar) HEY!
tragedy strikes: delayed until 01/25/2017.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:49 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
tragedy strikes: delayed until 01/25/2017.
YOU HAVE RUINED CHRISTMAS

(Lark's gotta Lark, I suppose.)
Old 12-23-2016, 08:36 AM
Time is Luck

new Rat Queens book solicited for next March, pointedly without the original artist. Reckon they saw the reaction to their little trial balloon earlier this year and thought, "yeah, that's not gonna work."
Old 12-24-2016, 08:51 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
new Rat Queens book solicited for next March, pointedly without the original artist. Reckon they saw the reaction to their little trial balloon earlier this year and thought, "yeah, that's not gonna work."
On the one hand, no one else is doing what Rat Queens does. On the other, this would be the perfect time for the writer to overcorrect and have things disappear up its own ass in terms of injokes and repurposed memes.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:11 PM
Time is Luck

very possible. in the last arc of the original series he dove headfirst into backstory and never came up.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:54 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

So what comics did people get for Christmas (if any): I got The Secret Loves of Geek Girls, which looks to be a delight (especially with titles like "How Fanfiction Turned Me Gay") and Charles Burns' Last Look (which collected his three weird Tintin on Nightmare Juice books).

On the "What did you just read" list, I did a double bill of memoir comics with the Burma Chronicles (which was fine, but not as great as Pyongyang) and Displacement (which I like a tremendous amount), the later of which focuses on joining her very old grandparents on a cruise.

Oh, and I breezed through Habitat, which was a decent book. I does have that "80's era French comic" feel but doesn't exactly reinvent the wheel.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:19 AM
Mystery Contraption

Not from Santa, but for Boxing Day, I picked up the omnibus of Superior Foes of Spider-Man. But I must wait for Amazon to deliver it. So I have hope for the future!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:33 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

I got the first Hark, a Vagrant! collection today in a Boxing Week sale, having already owned the second.

This was a wise decision.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:40 PM
third

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
I got the first Hark, a Vagrant! collection today in a Boxing Week sale, having already owned the second.

I gave two Fat Ponies as gifts and both went over extremely well.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
I gave two Fat Ponies as gifts and both went over extremely well.
While I sent a copy of "The Princess and the Pony" to my old school as part of a thank you package. I think the kids will like it.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:40 PM
Zen-vergonha

I just got manga: Wedding Eve by Hozumi and The Book Of Human Insects by Tezuka. I'm really curious about Wedding Eve; the cover with people eating food reminds me of my favorite movies.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juca View Post
I just got manga: Wedding Eve by Hozumi and The Book Of Human Insects by Tezuka. I'm really curious about Wedding Eve; the cover with people eating food reminds me of my favorite movies.
This is the only book I own in both English and French. I remember thinking that it maybe didn't execute as well as some of Tezuka's other seinen work, but it's still a hell of a fascinating setup.

I hit the comic shop again and got something called Anomal. Seems like it hasn't reviewed well; but I've had good luck with Gen as a weird little indie manga publisher, it's a horror anthology, and it was like ten bucks. That's worth taking the chance, in my opinion.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:

Kate Beaton is a national treasure.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:31 PM

So while i was at Barnes and Noble last week getting Christmas gifts, I spent my Birthday Gift Card on The Flash by Mark Waid vol. 1, which is alright but felt a little like waiting to get to the fireworks factory that is the later parts of his run, The Flash by Grant Morrison and Mark Millar, where Wally fights a haunted supervillain costume that possesses people, we spend a day in the life of Jay Garrick, Wally races against his imaginary friend from childhood to keep Kirby-esq Space Gods from destroying the Earth, and then races against the Black Flash aka the aspect of Death just for speedsters. Good that collection was good, so 90's DC Comics.

I also picked The Unbelievable Gwenpool by Chris Hastings, where Gwen has to team up with Batroc ze Lepair! and MODOK. Btw, for anyone not familiar with the character, she's not a Deadpool rip off so much as she's a Marvel version of Superboy-Prime, since she's actually a comic fan from our world who got stuck in the MU. She has no real powers outside of knowing things and being genre savvy. It wasn't bad, in fact I really liked it and the art by Gurihiru is really, really great. I also liked the fact it's doing it's own thing and there's no big teamups or crossovers, outside of Thor showing up, and is content to be a comic written by Hastings, so yes something does get Ghost-Hacked.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:33 PM
Zen-vergonha

Quote:
This is the only book I own in both English and French. I remember thinking that it maybe didn't execute as well as some of Tezuka's other seinen work, but it's still a hell of a fascinating setup.
Yeah, it has an interesting premise. It seems to be both a psychological work - she's a human being that accepts the fluidity of being a human being and people just can't accept this - and a sociological one - modern society/post-war japan as creating people that can be nobody. Talking about the manga makes it seem like a pretentious work, but as usual with Tezuka, it is really fun. It has been ages since i read it and i don't remember anything about the ending - it will be nice to reread it.

My first impression while flipping throught the book was 'how did i forgot Tezuka was this good?'.

Do you have any favorite seinen work by Tezuka?
Old 12-29-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I hit the comic shop again and got something called Anomal. Seems like it hasn't reviewed well; but I've had good luck with Gen as a weird little indie manga publisher, it's a horror anthology, and it was like ten bucks. That's worth taking the chance, in my opinion.
Update: it was terrible. Like, bad stories translated badly. Weird goofs like forgetting to add translation notes to the page or text accidentally printed in 1 point font. Also, advertised as a horror manga but really just a bunch of stories about yokai and one about a gay detective. Oh well.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juca View Post
Do you have any favorite seinen work by Tezuka?
I remember Ode to Kirihito being really good and although I still need to finish Message to Adolf (aka Adolf) I remember it being a very strong piece of work. It also has a very clever use of the Star System where a certain character's loyalties are forshadowed by a surname that should be familiar to anyone who knows Tezuka's body of work well enough. Apollo's Song is so weird and psychedelic that it's mesmerizing even when it's disjointed.

Really, there's a pretty noticeable drop in quality between the Tezuka published by Vertical and the Tezuka published by DMP. Vertical was really able to pick and choose the best of his work, or at least the most interesting.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:21 PM
This Guy

I started making a Top 5 comics of the year list for my blog, but it turned out to just be a list of book written by Tom King and The Flintstones.

Also, the latest issue of The Flintstones. Oh my God, this comic.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:07 PM
Love and Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
So what comics did people get for Christmas (if any):
I got We Stand on Guard, because apparently I refuse to learn my lesson about Brian K. Vaughn.

The scene wherein a revolutionary proves to another revolutionary that they can trust one another by giving her a lovingly-rendered EATMORE chocolate bar would have been hilarious if it hadn't been written by an American who probably meant for it to be earnest, so I guess there's that.

I did genuinely think that the "ambiguous" ending worked out much better than the one in Y: The Last Man because this time, the reader was trusted to work out the details sprinkled throughout a short, self-contained story to figure out who was telling the truth about the war, rather than suddenly getting a Stupid Reason and a Stupider Reason that Involves Magic Somehow. (In fairness, I haven't read Y in years, so I may be mis-remembering the prominence of the Magic thing.)
Old 01-08-2017, 08:40 PM

On the recommendation of people here (and probably somewhere else on the Internet), I picked up Transformers Vs. G.I. Joe Vol. 1. Also, a Kate Beaton collection of her early work, which is pretty good. Especially a wonderfully loopy parody of a classic Canadian commercial.

I feel like a little more awkward lingering on the peach basket owner and he begrudging saws holes in peach baskets he JUST SAID he needed back would make his suffering all the more delicious.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:54 AM
Time is Luck

Lost Boys #4 features the triumphant return of Epic Saxophone Guy

Old 01-11-2017, 07:11 PM
Resistance

The guy in front clearly has his hands in a "holding a pistol" pose. I can't help but wonder if they edited it into a flashlight as some kind of oblique riff on Spielberg changing the guns to walkie-talkies in E.T...?
Old 01-13-2017, 07:00 AM
uncomfortable feeling

Anyone else read the original run of Kirby's New Gods? I picked up that reprint DC put out in the 80s and I'm about 2/3s in. Long story short, it's awesome. Orion is a great protagonist.

Has anyone read Forever People or Mister Miracle? Are they worth tracking down in some way?
Old 01-13-2017, 08:34 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Mister Miracle is great (there's a reason he stuck around to be the most popular of the DC Kirby characters), but what I've read of Forever People never impressed me.

Tags
comics , demon bush , detective comics , detective comics comics , manga , marvel , paid comic book day