The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 12-29-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
I got the first Hark, a Vagrant! collection today in a Boxing Week sale, having already owned the second.

This was a wise decision.
Kate Beaton is a national treasure.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:31 PM

So while i was at Barnes and Noble last week getting Christmas gifts, I spent my Birthday Gift Card on The Flash by Mark Waid vol. 1, which is alright but felt a little like waiting to get to the fireworks factory that is the later parts of his run, The Flash by Grant Morrison and Mark Millar, where Wally fights a haunted supervillain costume that possesses people, we spend a day in the life of Jay Garrick, Wally races against his imaginary friend from childhood to keep Kirby-esq Space Gods from destroying the Earth, and then races against the Black Flash aka the aspect of Death just for speedsters. Good that collection was good, so 90's DC Comics.

I also picked The Unbelievable Gwenpool by Chris Hastings, where Gwen has to team up with Batroc ze Lepair! and MODOK. Btw, for anyone not familiar with the character, she's not a Deadpool rip off so much as she's a Marvel version of Superboy-Prime, since she's actually a comic fan from our world who got stuck in the MU. She has no real powers outside of knowing things and being genre savvy. It wasn't bad, in fact I really liked it and the art by Gurihiru is really, really great. I also liked the fact it's doing it's own thing and there's no big teamups or crossovers, outside of Thor showing up, and is content to be a comic written by Hastings, so yes something does get Ghost-Hacked.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:33 PM
Zen-vergonha

Quote:
This is the only book I own in both English and French. I remember thinking that it maybe didn't execute as well as some of Tezuka's other seinen work, but it's still a hell of a fascinating setup.
Yeah, it has an interesting premise. It seems to be both a psychological work - she's a human being that accepts the fluidity of being a human being and people just can't accept this - and a sociological one - modern society/post-war japan as creating people that can be nobody. Talking about the manga makes it seem like a pretentious work, but as usual with Tezuka, it is really fun. It has been ages since i read it and i don't remember anything about the ending - it will be nice to reread it.

My first impression while flipping throught the book was 'how did i forgot Tezuka was this good?'.

Do you have any favorite seinen work by Tezuka?
Old 12-29-2016, 03:35 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quote:
I hit the comic shop again and got something called Anomal. Seems like it hasn't reviewed well; but I've had good luck with Gen as a weird little indie manga publisher, it's a horror anthology, and it was like ten bucks. That's worth taking the chance, in my opinion.
Update: it was terrible. Like, bad stories translated badly. Weird goofs like forgetting to add translation notes to the page or text accidentally printed in 1 point font. Also, advertised as a horror manga but really just a bunch of stories about yokai and one about a gay detective. Oh well.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:43 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quote:
Originally Posted by juca View Post
Do you have any favorite seinen work by Tezuka?
I remember Ode to Kirihito being really good and although I still need to finish Message to Adolf (aka Adolf) I remember it being a very strong piece of work. It also has a very clever use of the Star System where a certain character's loyalties are forshadowed by a surname that should be familiar to anyone who knows Tezuka's body of work well enough. Apollo's Song is so weird and psychedelic that it's mesmerizing even when it's disjointed.

Really, there's a pretty noticeable drop in quality between the Tezuka published by Vertical and the Tezuka published by DMP. Vertical was really able to pick and choose the best of his work, or at least the most interesting.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:21 PM
This Guy

I started making a Top 5 comics of the year list for my blog, but it turned out to just be a list of book written by Tom King and The Flintstones.

Also, the latest issue of The Flintstones. Oh my God, this comic.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:07 PM
Love and Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
So what comics did people get for Christmas (if any):
I got We Stand on Guard, because apparently I refuse to learn my lesson about Brian K. Vaughn.

The scene wherein a revolutionary proves to another revolutionary that they can trust one another by giving her a lovingly-rendered EATMORE chocolate bar would have been hilarious if it hadn't been written by an American who probably meant for it to be earnest, so I guess there's that.

I did genuinely think that the "ambiguous" ending worked out much better than the one in Y: The Last Man because this time, the reader was trusted to work out the details sprinkled throughout a short, self-contained story to figure out who was telling the truth about the war, rather than suddenly getting a Stupid Reason and a Stupider Reason that Involves Magic Somehow. (In fairness, I haven't read Y in years, so I may be mis-remembering the prominence of the Magic thing.)
Old 01-08-2017, 07:40 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

On the recommendation of people here (and probably somewhere else on the Internet), I picked up Transformers Vs. G.I. Joe Vol. 1. Also, a Kate Beaton collection of her early work, which is pretty good. Especially a wonderfully loopy parody of a classic Canadian commercial.

I feel like a little more awkward lingering on the peach basket owner and he begrudging saws holes in peach baskets he JUST SAID he needed back would make his suffering all the more delicious.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:54 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Lost Boys #4 features the triumphant return of Epic Saxophone Guy

Old 01-11-2017, 06:11 PM
Safe Space

The guy in front clearly has his hands in a "holding a pistol" pose. I can't help but wonder if they edited it into a flashlight as some kind of oblique riff on Spielberg changing the guns to walkie-talkies in E.T...?
Old 01-13-2017, 06:00 AM
poisonous thread snake

Anyone else read the original run of Kirby's New Gods? I picked up that reprint DC put out in the 80s and I'm about 2/3s in. Long story short, it's awesome. Orion is a great protagonist.

Has anyone read Forever People or Mister Miracle? Are they worth tracking down in some way?
Old 01-13-2017, 07:34 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Mister Miracle is great (there's a reason he stuck around to be the most popular of the DC Kirby characters), but what I've read of Forever People never impressed me.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
Anyone else read the original run of Kirby's New Gods? I picked up that reprint DC put out in the 80s and I'm about 2/3s in. Long story short, it's awesome. Orion is a great protagonist.

Has anyone read Forever People or Mister Miracle? Are they worth tracking down in some way?
The original Fourth World stuff was collected in a series of Handy Omnibuses in the same way Grant Morrison's 7 Soldiers. That is to say, it's in order of release, rather than series. Just a personal preference, but that's how I like to read them. Forever People, Mister Miracle and Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen are all great. Though it can be distracting that they had someone else draw Superman alone in those issues.

I only got the first volume but I fell in love with it, and even wrote a long article about it that I was going to post somewhere but never did. If you read all the series, there's definitely an interesting theme throughout: Kirby loves the kids today. I feel like he completely loves the younger generation, which is explored in all the series but very specifically Jimmy Olsen (and the Newsboy Legion) and Forever People. It's like he knew he liked the hippie generation, but didn't entirely get them so made up a few characters that seemed to represent what he liked best about them. I only got the first volume (which was pretty big) but never got the following ones.

Sadly, the story thread between the four books never got resolved the way they were supposed to. Kirby eventually did in a story called "The Hunger Dogs" (which I never read), but a lot of people commented that it didn't quite feel like the proper ending for it.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:52 AM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Mister Miracle is great (there's a reason he stuck around to be the most popular of the DC Kirby characters), but what I've read of Forever People never impressed me.
The Forever People are boring characters, but that book also has the best Apokolips/Darkseid stuff in it (like Glorious Godfrey or Happyland).
Old 01-13-2017, 07:59 AM
Mystery Contraption

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being a particular fan of Forever People, except for Happyland.

I didn't read much of the Kirby-penned Fourth World stuff myself (except for the first dozen-ish issues of Jimmy Olsen, which were amazing), but I did read through the Walter Simonson run on Orion which is positively dripping with Kirby. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:59 AM

I agree. I think I like Forever People more than Sven but the leads are the big weakness of the series. Which is a damned shame, because there's other great stuff in there and I think from a thematic stand point ("This new generation is going to save us.") it's pretty great. And as AJ said, it had great villains for it. Glorious Godfrey is fun (in fact, I love a great number of the Apokalyps villains from each series), but Mantis works to as a force of pure consumption (like of resources, not tuberculosis). They are great "these are humanity's ills" for these god-teens to come together and become a force greater than the sum of it's parts (The Infinity Man).

Yet, sadly, even Captain Planet, which is a preachier version of the Forever People, had arguably stronger characters.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:36 AM
There he is!

Much as I love Happyland, I have to give my highest Forever People villain approval to the Justifiers.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:03 AM
This Guy

Mr Miracle is goddamn amazing. If I were posting this from my computer I would post the panel of Barda promising that they "will go down that old shark's mouth together and beat her to death from the inside" as proof that the love story of Scott Free and Big Barda is greatest romance in the history of comics.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:18 AM
Mystery Contraption

That and the (much more recent) page of her learning about Pokemon and being thrilled about it make Barda one of the Secret Best DC characters
Old 01-13-2017, 10:21 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Don't forget about the JLI panel where Barda says "wait, I need to get you something" to J'onn and Rocket Red, going into the next room, Red speculating that she's packing them a lunch, and then Barda coming out in full battle gear, ready to kick ass.

Barda is the best.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:22 AM

Big Barda series NOW please.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:23 AM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Big Barda series NOW please.
People (well, me at least) have been clamoring for that for decades.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:53 AM
poisonous thread snake

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I hate big hardcovers so I probably won't dig the various Omnibii, but I'll try to track down the Mister Miracle TPB somehow (unless it has terrible modern recoloring, which it probably does).

I love Simonson but I don't wanna read anything about these characters by anyone but Kirby. It boggles my mind that people can read New Gods and still think Stan Lee had any major part in Marvel's silver age stories. Dude is a hoax! Kirby rules
Old 01-13-2017, 01:02 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Stan brought very important elements to the Silver Age stuff - specifically, the soap opera elements. Kirby never could do those types of stories (or, at least, he didn't care to try) during his DC years.

Kirby was, honestly, a better fit for Silver Age DC than Stan's Marvel. It's a pity that he was too humble to take anything more important than Jimmy Olsen; for fuck's sake, imagine what a Kirby-helmed Green Lantern would've been like!
Old 01-13-2017, 01:57 PM
This Guy

Stan Lee brought a humanizing element to both Kirby and Ditko that was necessary to make those stories work, but the ideas that kept them around were mostly from the artists.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:11 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Stan Lee brought a humanizing element to both Kirby and Ditko that was necessary to make those stories work, but the ideas that kept them around were mostly from the artists.
In certain ways I agree with you, but I think my standards are wildly different from a lot of people. I'm willing to be very alienated by a strong artist.

Speaking of awesome classic Kirby/Marvel stuff, is there a cheap way to read the original Lee/Kirbs run of FF on paper in color? Or are those omnibuses my best bet?
Old 01-13-2017, 04:16 PM
Mystery Contraption

I think they're out of print and therefor expensive, but the Essentials are definitely the way to go. Colouring techniques in the 60s tended to be pretty bad, so black and white really improves things.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:24 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I think they're out of print and therefor expensive, but the Essentials are definitely the way to go. Colouring techniques in the 60s tended to be pretty bad, so black and white really improves things.
I think those Essentials started coming out when I was in middle school, and I blew any spare money I had on them for years. My pile of 'em must have reached above my waist before I sold them. So I'm pretty familiar with most of the early Marvel stuff, in general. However, I only ever had the very first Fantastic Four volume, which only slightly dug into that sweet, sweet era (and those first handful of issues are pretty rough, I tell ya. Woof!). But for whatever reason, now I can't shake the feeling that Kirby's art just looks perfect in that 60s color palette.

Speaking of: my surprise favorite of all the Essentials were the Captain America ones. Such great fight drawing! The first fight between Cap and Batroc really flipped my lid when I was young. I don't think I had read such exciting fight comics at that time (from America, at least).
Old 01-15-2017, 06:00 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
The guy in front clearly has his hands in a "holding a pistol" pose. I can't help but wonder if they edited it into a flashlight as some kind of oblique riff on Spielberg changing the guns to walkie-talkies in E.T...?
My guess is a little more prosaic: the artist couldn't find photo reference of someone holding a military-style anglehead flashlight with both hands and went off a picture of someone holding a gun instead.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:09 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Do people even generally hold those in use? I've only even seen them clipped on a vest or propped on something.

Tags
comics , demon bush , detective comics , detective comics comics , manga , marvel , paid comic book day