The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 01-11-2017, 12:15 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I assume that the locker room bonuses have gone away since the changeover, but have we seen confirmation?
Since Conor cashed his usual giant cheque, I'd bet they're still there.

Oh, and as a reminder since none of the stories mention it: Brock passed his first five drugs tests after his re-instatement.

Last edited by Sven; 01-11-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:31 PM
Remembers Love

Quote:
the locker room bonuses
Old 01-13-2017, 04:00 PM
Time is Luck

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. finally signs to fight Canelo Alvarez in May. Should be great spectacle even if it's nothing much of a fight. This is a cash-out bout for Chavez Jr., who long since pissed away any of the credibility he got from daddy's name on a series of mismatches, blown weigh-ins, shitty catchweight fights, and questionable decision wins. Alvarez will stop him even if he misses weight, which he probably will.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:50 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. finally signs to fight Canelo Alvarez in May. Should be great spectacle even if it's nothing much of a fight. This is a cash-out bout for Chavez Jr., who long since pissed away any of the credibility he got from daddy's name on a series of mismatches, blown weigh-ins, shitty catchweight fights, and questionable decision wins. Alvarez will stop him even if he misses weight, which he probably will.
It's not that JCC, Jr. grew up wealthy - Barrera came up in an affluent family and he's one of the toughest sumbitches ever to draw breath. Jr. was sheltered too early and for too long. He didn't spend any time in the meatgrinder of the Mexican amateur circuit, and he made so much money knocking over tomato cans that he went right to the hookers, blow and buffets without even a layover at "great fighter".
Old 01-14-2017, 07:32 PM
Is there not one thing

As a rule I don't recommend Joe Rogan Experience but this is Mauro and Bas (who is looking better than he has in years.)
Old 01-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Time is Luck

Quote:
It's not that JCC, Jr. grew up wealthy - Barrera came up in an affluent family and he's one of the toughest sumbitches ever to draw breath. Jr. was sheltered too early and for too long. He didn't spend any time in the meatgrinder of the Mexican amateur circuit, and he made so much money knocking over tomato cans that he went right to the hookers, blow and buffets without even a layover at "great fighter".
update: first line I've seen has Chavez +600 and Canelo -900.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:18 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
update: first line I've seen has Chavez +600 and Canelo -900.
Hold if you want to make money on the upset. That'll shift even more to Canelo for the first bit.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:39 PM
Time is Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Hold if you want to make money on the upset.
Shit, you may as well go down to the mini-mart and blow it all on scratch tickets.

I wanna say the recent report was that 94% of Golden Boy's income in 2016 came by way of Canelo. They're not putting him in spitting range of a fight he has any chance of losing.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:53 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

I know, but that's going to end up +1500 or more.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:00 PM
Time is Luck

Now, it still might be a canny move to bet the over on rounds, because unless Chavez is drained to the point of semi-consciousness by the weight cut he may still be too big and resilient for Alvarez to knock him out.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:25 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Tito and Chael have apparently made it to fight's eve without either being popped for PEDs or pulling out due to injury.

I think some people around here owe others significant money.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Time is Luck

my prediction: three-quarters of the way through his ring walk, tito's head tips over and falls off his neck.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Is there not one thing

Raider it is [i]physically imposstable[/b] for such a thing would happen.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:05 PM

Damn, didn't see that coming.

Also that flying knee by Paul Daley was brutal.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:42 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Tito by submission moved from +1250 to +850 before the fight. Let's just call that smart money and move on.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:10 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Tito by submission moved from +1250 to +850 before the fight. Let's just call that smart money and move on.
PRIDE never die
Old 01-23-2017, 07:56 AM
OUT HERE SHINING

I swear one of you guys once did a massive effortpost on the fucking nightmare that is Tito's Existence, but I can't find it.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:58 AM
Time is Luck

I don't think we ever did, actually. We've done lots of little things at various points, e.g. the infamous photo of Tito's fridge full of drugs and diet A&W root beer, but I suspect anyone attempting a grand summation of Electric Titoland "quailed at the bulk," in the words of my old thesis advisor...
Old 01-23-2017, 08:00 AM
OUT HERE SHINING

I hunger for the knowledge and I will contribute to your patreon.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:50 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

In short: Tito blew a fight that he should've won against Frank Shamrock earlier in his career because he gassed out. So he swore to never be the worse-conditioned fighter in any of his fights, which led to an insane training regimen that wreaked havoc on his body as time passed.

Which would have been fine, but when UFC was in the process of setting up Tito to fight Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture wound up getting the match instead due to a series of contract disputes. While Tito was a good, big wrestler, Randy was a better, bigger wrestler. The fight memorably ended with Randy spanking Tito in the middle of the ring.

He never really was the same after that, as the game had evolved to the point where conditioning alone wasn't going to get it done. He got stopped by Chuck the next time out, and then, while he ran off a decent little win streak (Forrest, Belfort, and Patrick Cote), beating Ken Shamrock twice somehow earned him a rematch with Liddell. He lost that one and you could tell he was kinda broken in the process (I recall him turning to the camera after the KO and saying "I tried").

As his career went on, he turned into something he seemingly hated: someone who could get some early offence but didn't have staying power.

Oddly, Tito will go out winning three of his last four fights.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:03 AM
Time is Luck

scattered thoughts...

- The basics of Tito's story repeat themselves over and over in MMA. He was a fucked-up kid from a fucked-up family (both of his parents were drug addicts) who found a fucked-up solace in amateur wrestling. As AV has noted in the past, wrestling is a largely solitary sport that has a calming effect on certain kinds of damaged people. He took the training regimen he'd learned there -- Tito was one of the first guys in MMA to gain a serious advantage from committed weight management, as a for-instance -- and picked up the skills and conditioning he'd need in the cage as he went along.

- Tito's rise to fame in the early Zuffa era is in a lot of ways an accident of history. He became a star because the promotion decided that he was the guy they were going to make into a star, and because most of the guys who could give him a run for his money were in PRIDE (Vanderlei Silva, the Ruas, Quinton Jackson) or sitting out the boom years like total idiots (Frank Shamrock). Randy Couture fought him (and unexpectedly kicked his ass) because the promotion had pretty much run out of anyone else in the 205 weight division to fight him.

- You can come up with a million punch lines about Tito's relationship with Jenna Jameson, but I feel like I can maybe see where the kinship there comes from. They both became famous because they brought some small but measurable amount of star quality to the sort of embarrassing pop-cultural backwaters that society at large tries not to admit to noticing. Then they spent the rest of their lives in the public eye wondering whether the whole world was laughing at them behind their backs when it wasn't simply laughing right in their faces. There's probably a less awkward way to make that point, but I don't have an editor anymore.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:26 AM
Is there not one thing

Tito's hot-and-cold relationship with Dana White also affected his career in ways that will never be fully understood by the public. Dana started in MMA as a manager, handling Tito Ortiz and Chuck Liddell in the sport's dark ages. When the Fertittas installed White as the UFC president, Dana cut his official ties with both Ortiz and Liddell. Chuck handled things well and got the full promotional weight of the company behind him for years - long past the point that he had any business being in the ring with prime fighters.

Tito saw White's move up as a betrayal and spent the remainder of his career openly antagonizing White (though as with most things in the fight game it's hard to tell what's kayfabe and what's real. Ortiz is famously a stupid guy who thinks he's a smart guy, and may have milked a minor resentment for what he thought was box office heat.)

That said, White can't have been too pissed off about Tito's theatrics: Tito had to lose seven of his last nine fights (over a five year stretch) before his UFC career came to an end.

Tito Ortiz has tried and failed to do things that didn't involve fighting. He's nightmarish on the mic: He trips over his own tongue, loses the thread of sentences about a third of his way through them, spits malapropisms like he was working a Honey Boo Boo taping, and treats every gig like an infomercial for Tito Ortiz. He took over Cris Cyborg's management contract and negotiated away a chance at millions by slapping down a Rousey superfight that history has shown Cyborg would likely have won. Rumor is that Tito even tried his hand at training young fighters in southern California, and managed to burn every bridge he came across.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:43 AM
OUT HERE SHINING

You guys are wonderful. thank you so much.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:48 AM
Time is Luck

Quote:
In short: Tito blew a fight that he should've won against Frank Shamrock earlier in his career because he gassed out. So he swore to never be the worse-conditioned fighter in any of his fights, which led to an insane training regimen that wreaked havoc on his body as time passed.
One other example of this theme: in Tito's second UFC bout he lost to Guy Mezger because he didn't know how to defend a guillotine choke. Nobody caught him in a submission again until 18 years later, in his second to last fight.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:21 AM
Is there not one thing

One final note: Chael Sonnen was the perfect final opponent for Ortiz, as he is a reasonably intelligent* man who plays an idiot on TV.

*Reasonably intelligent. He ate a conviction on money laundering, avoiding the slam only by agreeing to testify against his own mother. His pizzeria investment ended in lawsuit, counter-suit, and a confidential settlement. Also blew a lucrative gig in the UFC booth by pissing hot for everything under the sun while training for a freakshow bout with Wanderlei Silva. As ever, taking punches to the dome for a living is negatively correlated with good life choices.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:25 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

It should be noted that Tito and Dana's relationship was so messed up that, at one point, they agreed to a four-round boxing match.

Dana apparently trained his ass off... only for Tito to no-show the weigh-ins.

It's complicated.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:19 AM
Time is Luck

Quote:
*Reasonably intelligent. He ate a conviction on money laundering, avoiding the slam only by agreeing to testify against his own mother.
As I understand it Chael was popped for the kind of penny-ante mortgage fraud that literally every realtor in the country committed during the housing bubble. One wonders if he was mainly guilty of having a high enough public profile to get noticed.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:34 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

That was my understanding of it as well.

One thing about Tito: I don't think he's ever been mentioned anywhere NEAR PED allegations other than when Jenna went nuts on Twitter that one time (and which has been pretty much disproved)
Old 01-23-2017, 11:53 AM
Time is Luck

Quote:
One thing about Tito: I don't think he's ever been mentioned anywhere NEAR PED allegations other than when Jenna went nuts on Twitter that one time (and which has been pretty much disproved)
Which leaves us to wonder how on earth his head got that way.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:27 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

He always kinda looked like that, though.

(Weren't you at that one? You can tell how Tito worked the weight game early in his career better than anyone else - he looks no less than 220 in the cage, Elvis is probably exactly at his listed 200.)

Tags
best thread on the forum , concussion discussion , fight sports , guy in your mma