The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 01-01-2017, 09:37 AM
23 ski-dook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
How is Firefly in general? The local B&N has some 30% off copies that I was thinking of adding a 25% off coupon to.
I'm pretty sure you need to be a fan of Firefly to enjoy it. It's an overly long pick-up-and-deliver game with a lot of luck-based movement that can really bone you at the worst times. I don't really care for it.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoWeasel View Post
I'm pretty sure you need to be a fan of Firefly to enjoy it. It's an overly long pick-up-and-deliver game with a lot of luck-based movement that can really bone you at the worst times. I don't really care for it.
I'm not a real fan of Firefly. But I also haven't played a lot of pick-up-and-deliver games so I also don't have a huge basis for comparison.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Finally got to play Codenames at a New Year's party.

Vlaada remains my waifu.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:43 PM
Invincible Spinning Skull

Codenames is fantastic. The only party game that I will almost always agree to play.

Codenames: Pictures is super fun too.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:22 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Spyfall is also a great party game, more of a social deduction game to Codenames's puzzle game. My wife does not want to stop playing it.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:24 PM
Bertolli?!?...

I actually brought my copy of Spyfall to last night's party! I wasn't able to get it to the table, though. I love it, but it's a slightly harder sell, and can be very intimidating to play at first.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:33 PM
Crabjörn

I think I'm making the Startup Funding module a constant thing in Alchemists.

Also here's me rambling about strats for starting/hidden artifacts in that module, spoilerpopped because how many people even play this regularly anymore? (Answer: me)

Startup Funding lets a player choose from a random pool of things to begin play with, effectively letting players with different loadouts compete to see who can use their toolkit better. There's more than a few ways to simulate the base loadout of two ingredients, two gold, and a favor, but that's not what I'm here for.

Starting Artifact lets the player begin play with a tier 1 artifact, which is AMAZING, but also hits them with a huge reputation penalty right out of the gate because everyone else is jealous of their swag (5 reputation on a 3 gold artifact, 7 on a 4 gold one). So choosing this is basically limited by whether you think it's worth it to start with a huge penalty, both the overt one of reputation and the implicit one of, say, not having ingredients or favors instead.
  • Periscope: Absolutely worth it, no questions asked. You will get all the information right out of the gate and will barely have to test anything, more than making up for the deficit in ingredients. Plus, you can debunk like a champ to make up for the reputation loss, and you'll be able to sell potions incredibly easily.
  • Discount Card: Also strong. It's not so much that you need to abuse it, but that you CAN abuse it. You can basically always threaten people on buying artifacts ahead of them. Of course, hitting the ground running and declaring to everyone that you're GOING to buy one of those artifacts on the table and ending round 1 with two artifacts? That's plenty strong without needing to bluff it.
  • Magic Mortar: Not really a bad option, but taking this without knowing your starting ingredients is a great way to exacerbate the existing problem of the Magic Mortar, i.e. grabbing lots of duplicate ingredients and never being able to shed them. I guess if the Feather in Cap or Thinking Cap is on the table, grabbing this gives you a good chance at them.
  • Boots of Speed: About as strong as the Magic Mortar. The Boots of Speed are great to get as early as possible, but you need to have the resources on hand to double up on any action worth taking, and having this potentially means not having the gold for publishing/buying, or the ingredients for testing. But hey, foraging and transmuting are still there and more attractive than ever.
  • Replicator: Congrats on reaching reputation 1 for the first time ever. Don't get me wrong, having lots of artifacts is attractive (and if you also started with the Secret Artifact option, you can snag the Discount Card AND the Crystal Cabinet and still have room for others, and that is almost sexually good). But is that REALLY worth tanking your reputation THAT hard? I know I'd be willing to try it at least once, but I don't know about twice.
  • Printing Press: While it's by far my favorite artifact to start with, I don't know that I'd want it as a Starting Artifact. You'd have to publish a lot, and accurately, to get over the reputation hit early on. It might be attractive if you know other players will be aggressive about selling potions, but personally I'd rather just buy this and not have a huge reputation loss to work around.
  • Robe of Respect: Basically a worse Printing Press for starting out. Now you not only need to publish a lot, but you also need to earn the gold to make the publications in the first place. The reputation hit isn't as bad and you'll make it up more easily, and I GUESS the Barmaid can help out here or there, but frankly, I'd just as soon buy this, and use Starting Artifact for literally anything else.

Secret Artifacts, though, are tier 3 artifacts you begin play with, but they are hidden. At the end of the game, they're worth victory points equal to 5 minus their price. In short, you're giving up starting with more stuff for a hidden victory condition, or an approximation. The nice thing is that you are guaranteed this artifact. Someone else can always sneak out a tier 3 artifact from the shopkeeper before you, denying you lots of points if you're going another route, but nobody can deny you your Secret Artifact.
  • Altar of Gold: God tier. Getting lots of gold is not hard at all once you know the game, you can dodge the usual pitfalls of this item (spiking reputation only to lose it to a screwup at the exhibition or a debunk, or overspending when you buy it and not having enough to publish), and just having it as a Secret Artifact is worth 4 victory points. The only trick is that once it becomes apparent you're here to hoard, you'll be competing against people selling for potions constantly, so don't be afraid to rely on transmuting here or there.
  • Wisdom Idol: A boring but solid option. You can publish much more safely with hedged seals in the early rounds, and get rewarded more for publishing lots (which you should already be doing) in later rounds. I mean, you have to be right in the process, but that's never been an issue for you, has it? The only problem is you're still starting with less overall, but hey, just play the game as you normally would and you'll do fine.
  • Feather in Cap: It was only just today that I actually bought the Feather in Cap normally. I usually don't even bother with it when I could be publishing, not least because you need to make it to the final round with lots of ingredients AND know what they do. But having this at the start of the game makes hoarding ingredients considerably more attractive. I'll rarely buy it, but as a Secret Artifact? Maybe I'd take it.
  • Magic Mirror: Same deal here. I find if you're actually considering the Magic Mirror in normal play, you've already basically won. As a Secret Artifact, you can try to amplify reputation gain even further, especially with some of the other Startup Funding Cards. It really depends on what other artifacts you can get a hold of, though. Same as ever, honestly, but this one's a sneakier option than the others. Keep an eye out for the usuals: Amulet of Rhetoric, Robe of Respect, Seal of Authority, Printing Press, and Replicator (cuz hey, why not start the game with 20 Reputation and this plus an Altar of Gold in your back pocket).
  • Crystal Cabinet: If you can secure the Discount Card early, you can more or less ignore the theory board with this. But you really need either the Discount Card or loads of cash to buy artifacts with, and it's less attractive if other players are quick about going for artifacts. And once you grab the Discount Card, they WILL be more aggressive there. Effective, but it won't be easy.
  • Mahogany Bookcase: I'll admit that I haven't actually used the Golem Project module yet, but I'm seeing a lot of comparisons to the Crystal Cabinet here. Instead of ignoring the theory board for artifacts, you're ignoring it for playing with the golem. Which means you'll be spending fewer ingredients and needing less conventional testing, but you're ALSO bound to the king's whim more. Could be a strong option, but I really need to play the Golem Project to see.
  • Bronze Cup: If you're honestly taking the Bronze Cup as a Secret Artifact, I'm going to assume you have severe confidence issues, or are just flat bad at the game.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:19 PM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
I think I'm making the Startup Funding module a constant thing in Alchemists.

Also here's me rambling about strats for starting/hidden artifacts in that module, spoilerpopped because how many people even play this regularly anymore? (Answer: me)
Not regularly (certainly not enough to own the expansion) but I did play it in 2016 and I still enjoy it.

Since I keep stats... the games I played the most in 2016:

81 Netrunner
22 Codenames
21 Race for the Galaxy (about half of these were with the newest expansion)
13 Mottainai*

8 Stellar Conflict*
7 1846*
7 6 nimmt!
7 ButaBabel*
7 Deep Sea Adventure
7 Fabled Fruit*
7 No Thanks!
7 Schnappchen Jagd*
7 Witness*
6 Bohnanza
6 Mage Knight
6 Mamma Mia*
6 Ricochet Robots*
6 Russian Railroads*
6 T.I.M.E Stories*
5 Age of Craft*
5 Factory Fun
5 First Class: Unterwegs im Orient Express*
5 Fuji Flush*
5 Gauner Raus!*
5 Ginkgopolis
5 Innovation
5 Isle of Skye*
5 Jambo
5 Junk Art*
5 Linko!*
5 Stockpile*
5 Ticket to Ride
5 Kardinal & Konig*
5 Wings for the Baron*
5 Wizard Extreme*
5 Wyatt Earp*

(And 297 games played 1-4 times)

(*: games I played for the first time in 2016)

The last game I played in 2016 was Speculation (2017 arrived about 10 minutes before the end of the game)
Old 01-03-2017, 03:02 PM
and ermine, too

The next update will be 100% MAGFest games, but I got plenty of gaming in over New Year's Eve weekend:

Dungeon Petz - Last played a year and a half ago. Unlike Dungeon Lords, Dungeon Petz isn't as proactive about ruining your position, which makes teaching it much easier.

Caverna - Last played two years ago! Caverna is still enjoyable, but no longer my favorite of Rosenberg's resource conversion games. That would be Glass Road. Or Le Havre if you don't think Glass Road is "big" enough.

Factory Fun - Real-time is a dealbreaker for a lot of the gamers in the Friday group. But new guy Josh threw himself into the deep end with an expert factory board and did really well. We told him to keep coming back. ;]

First Class: Unterwegs im Orient Express - Now I've seen a number of strategies work well. On Friday, I managed to get six cars upgraded to 12... but not fast enough to keep up in the second scoring round.

Familiar's Trouble - We got a score of 41 after three attempts. Oh yes, and we played three times in a row, which might be considered an endorsement.

Clod (new to me) - I was gifted an excellently-produced custom deck of Foppen cards by Combstranger. It was good with four, but I suspect it plays best at 5-6.

Speculation - The last game of 2016...

Trick of the Rails - ... and the first game of 2017! I wanted to try a second hand to close out the evening, but we ran out of time.

Scythe - So far, every game after the first has been unsurprising, but enjoyable. I am kind of looking forward to playing on the tremendously-oversized expansion board just for the experience of it.

Fresco - I was not enthusiastic about the expansion modules, specifically the extra colors. The small number of options for brown and pink fresco tiles lead to some nasty blocking that make the difference between 0 and 25 points with a single worker. Also thoroughly exacerbated by the decision to make a player's paint hidden trackable information.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:04 PM

Finished out 2016 playing Splendor, Star Realms, and good old Carcassonne with Bride of Dracula.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:35 PM
Dumps Like a Trump, Trump, Trump's Avatar
Dumps Like a Trump, Trump, Trump Dumps Like a Trump, Trump, Trump is offline
Ailes Shake Your ButtButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
The biggest downside is that the game takes forever. There's tons of different decks to shuffle and set up. Our friends had bought a big wooden box with removable deck-holders for each deck; that sped up setup a lot.
Everyone at the table needs to understand that they should be examining the various decks and planning their next move while other players take their turn. And I would never play with the expansions again, base game only. I like it (I think the random movement is a hoot), but only with the right crowd. I hate the show, FWIW.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:36 PM
Dumps Like a Trump, Trump, Trump's Avatar
Dumps Like a Trump, Trump, Trump Dumps Like a Trump, Trump, Trump is offline
Ailes Shake Your ButtButt

Bios: Genesis

I got boned for a while but finally catalyzed some amino acids into a bacterium inside a fumarole. My brain hurts, but it was fun.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:15 PM
and ermine, too

Magfest this weekend was an opportunity to stay up until 2AM playing games - often a lot of short games. I observed one game of 1846 and two games of Food Chain Magnate which I didn't get to play. I did play two games of Tigris & Euphrates, which I'm quite happy about.

Magfest Highlights:

Power Grid: the Card Game - Played three times this weekend. We even played a 5p game in 45 minutes and it just... feels like Power Grid.

Wyatt Earp - This weekend I won a 13 point hand, which is the highest I've seen. On Thursday, I unintentionally played a variant because I forgot to draw two instead of one. I'm happy to report the game still works fine (although it makes bad hands worse)

Orléans (new to me) - This is a board game with a similar feel to a dice game; limited interaction that comes down to completing separate tasks earlier than the other players, and decisions limited by the hand you draw. Worth another play.

Chicago Express - I did much better the second time, because I didn't make the mistake of investing all my money ('shares' don't appreciate, they only pay dividends). The system is unintuitive but the game is still interesting (for now).

Honshu - Still holds up. A good amount of decisions in a short amount of time.

Junk Art - Playing all three games ("cities") actually feels wrong sometimes, especially if the last game is longer and there's already a clear leader. We may experiment with playing individual games or a two game series.

Foppen - There's a lot of interesting interactions that don't normally show up in trick-taking games, because not every hand is in every trick. I also can't imagine it without the custom Steven Universe deck, now. Also interesting: every game so far has seen only one player end with a positive score. This may improve over time, because a lot of muscle memory needs to be relearned.

Fuji Flush - Along with Foppen, this was a perfect fit for Magfest. I played it every day of the convention.

First Class - I'm still happy with this after 6 plays. Even playing the same modules there's a lot of variety depending on which rounds certain cards appear.

Carcassonne: The City - The benefits of the walls often create unusual incentives to score or avoid scoring features, which changes some of the patterns common to other Carcassonne games. I'm still interested.

Tigris & Euphrates - I love teaching T&E, and it often means I don't get resistence toward playing with open scores. On Sunday we played a game where there were no conflicts until the board was nearly full. I was amused by the unfolding ancient cold war.

Saint Petersburg - When I rediscovered board games in 2012, Saint Petersburg was the first German game I played. I've played at least once in every year since, which is only true of three other German games I played in 2012 (Bohnanza, Carcassonne, and Puerto Rico).

PitchCar (new to me) - More enjoyable if you construct a course with less built-in entropy. Unfortunately no one could make the first turn for five minutes. The potential for more fun is there ;]

Old 01-10-2017, 02:17 PM

I played Orleans at BGG.con 2015 and really liked it. I'd love to own the one that comes with all the wooden pieces.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:00 PM
King Of Space-Time

You want to see a droolworthy special edition?

Old 01-14-2017, 09:45 PM
23 ski-dook

It looks pretty on a surface level, but it's pretty bad clarity-wise. I need to be able to clearly see who has placed their pieces where without having to try and pick player bits out from molded scenery.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:04 PM
Time for mandatory yoga

Holy shit. I wonder how that stands up to actual play, though?

I want to learn the Exceed fighting game before actually committing to purchasing a few sets. Would anyone be willing and able to teach me via Tabletop Simulator?
Old 01-14-2017, 11:17 PM
Fun Club Agent

oh shit what have I done

Old 01-15-2017, 12:18 AM
Dinger!

Jeeeeeaaaaaallllllllloooooooouuuuuuussssssssss.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:47 AM
King Of Space-Time

Not gonna lie... that looks boring as hell.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:06 AM
Bertolli?!?...

I've never played Virgin Queen, but I'm heading to a friend's in an hour for our 3rd session of 6-player Here I Stand (the game that I gather Virgin Queen is essentially the sequel to), and it's been pretty fun, even though I'm not faring well (the Protestant reformation is... not proceeding apace).
Old 01-15-2017, 10:02 AM
Inherently Stealthy

We played the prelude game of SeaFall.

I'm already hooked.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:41 PM
Space dad

Played at X-Wing regionals in Sacramento yesterday and bahahahaha I did so bad you guys. Way worse than my last regionals.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:11 PM
Time is Luck

How many people in the field there? Our second regional hereabouts didn't draw quite as many people as the first one (not a bad thing, since the first one was a 120-player madhouse).
Old 01-15-2017, 06:22 PM
Space dad

It was capped at 80, I think we started with 79? Something close to that. Lot of drops throughout the day. I stuck it out to the bitter in for a 2-4 record, one of those a bye. Had fun by the end but three losses right off the bat to stupid mistakes and my list just not working as well as I'd hoped were demoralizing. I almost left when I got the bye right after the third loss; I hate wandering around while everyone else plays.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:33 PM
Indecisive Epicure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
How is Firefly in general? The local B&N has some 30% off copies that I was thinking of adding a 25% off coupon to.
LttP, but I wanted to chime in and say that while games do veer pretty long, I don't think it's so bad once you learn the rules. That said, I would encourage not playing the game without the Pirates and Bounty Hunters expansion. That expansion adds the option for PvP to the game, which not only makes play more exciting, but also prevents a situation my friends and I often run into without the expansion, in which one player gets ahead of the others and they simply can't catch up.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:25 PM

Here are some of the games I've played in the past few months!

Castles of Burgundy is my friends and my current obsession. It feels like the most carefully balanced game I've ever played, where there are truly multiple viable paths to victory.

Lords of Waterdeep is a fun and fast game. It's wearing down however a little bit for us. The Mandatory Quest cards are controversial among us because they feel cruel to play. There's something to be said about the Euro Game formula. I've also myself settled upon a single strategy I use every game, with good success, so it doesn't feel like it has much flexibility for different play styles.

Sushi Go! had worn thin for me. It's just too simple.

Bang! The Dice Game is very much like Lords of Tokyo with a twist of hidden character identities. A nice appetizer game.

Above and Below has charming artwork but my friends and I can only find one viable path to victory: Save your money for the expensive high VP cards and explore underground as much as possible to gain resources without spending gold. I can see myself trading this one in in a couple months.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:39 PM

Burgundy is great. I especially love how the rules seem to subtly apologize for the use of dice. How very euro.

Waterdeep I think is an excellent introduction to the euro game style but there are plenty of other games that allow for deeper strategy. I think I could play it about 1,000 more times before getting tired of it though
Old 01-16-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Burgundy is great. I especially love how the rules seem to subtly apologize for the use of dice. How very euro.

Waterdeep I think is an excellent introduction to the euro game style but there are plenty of other games that allow for deeper strategy. I think I could play it about 1,000 more times before getting tired of it though
Yeah, Waterdeep isn't perfect but it's definitely fun. I've read on BGG about folks buying "Meeple" type pieces to substitute for the colored cubes, as a better representation of adventurers. It's a good idea!
Old 01-17-2017, 10:58 AM
and ermine, too

Re: Virgin Queen, just looked it up. Seems like you really want a full table and a free evening for the full campaign scenario.

Between office stuff and icy weather I only played a single tabletop game in the past week.

The Princes of Florence (new to me) - I've encountered a lot of Wolfgang Kramer designs in the past year, but somehow never played this game from the year 2000. The Princes of Florence was in the BGG top 10 before falling out sometime around 2009. We had to settle for a 2p variant, but what can you do.

Tags
afk , bard games , board dames , board games , board james , broad games , dice , face to face , penalty for being board , tabletop games , traditional games , wait whose turn is it