The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 01-03-2017, 04:26 PM
is Earnest

It just needs some good moderation and a handful of people setting a good example. But right now lots of people launch personal attacks whenever there's a disagreement, and if anyone speaks up they do it in the form of a personal attack against the instigator. Things spiral out of control at the drop of a hat. There's still interesting discussion here and there, it just gets derailed really easily.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:53 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
Question! If I hold a hand in front of my face, can I be seen clearly? This is important.

EDIT: If I have a greatsword large enough to cover half of my body when I hold it up, can I be seen clearly?
I wrote out a MM entry for the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal, it lets players work by Rya's stealth rules. Anyone else, there has to be enough ambiguity in what you're doing to move from "total concealment" to "hidden", the difference being whether you're not visible the instant you leave concealment to make an attack.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:58 PM

Honestly, I get a lot more often insulted and trolled here than on ENworld, so I'm having a hard time seeing that complaint. I didn't join ENworld until after the official WotC forums closed, so I can't really compare to earlier, though.

The only problem I have in ENworld is whenever I have a question on a rule or behavior people always just reply with "You are the DM and can do whatever", rather than giving me useful references. Ever since official forums closed, there doesn't seem to be a real forum for rule lawyers anymore.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:24 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
True!
At this point, I'm not sure who's trolling whom.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
At this point, I'm not sure who's trolling whom.
He wrote a true sentence and I replied with "true!". Mentioning it might be silly, DMing so strictly that no items exist that are not mentioned might be silly, but how can it be trolling if it's just the truth.

I'd call it having fun being funny instead.

It's like the discussion whether a torch still emits light if thrown in the water or not, because nothing in the rules says that it no longer emits light when thrown in the water.
The discussion might be silly, but it's still fun to read.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:29 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
He wrote a true sentence and I replied with "true!". Mentioning it might be silly, DMing so strictly that no items exist that are not mentioned might be silly, but how can it be trolling if it's just the truth.

I'd call it having fun being funny instead.

It's like the discussion whether a torch still emits light if thrown in the water or not, because nothing in the rules says that it no longer emits light when thrown in the water.
The discussion might be silly, but it's still fun to read.
Oh, rules-as-written. So many arguments.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:16 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

"I Charmed the orc! Charm Person says right there that it treats me like I'm its best friend!"
"Yeah, but does it say how orcs treat their friends? That's 5 damage from its sucker-punch."
Old 01-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

I'd rule that the rogue can get away with that depending on the situation. Like, in a sufficiently large fight, he might not be noticed firing that arrow, seeing as the turn structure is an abstraction of a six second period. I mean, dudes don't have damage direction indicators or a radar or something. If it's a smaller engagement, they would be more likely to notice. I'd probably roll an active check instead of using their passive in that case. If I forgot to provide cover, then the rogue would also get a lot more leeway.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:47 AM
is Earnest

Today's UA introduced a whole new class: The Artificer. It looks like 1/3 Wizard, 1/3 Rogue, and 1/3 (mechanical) Beastmaster. They can also create a bunch of magic items and they can infuse mundane items with magic. Subclasses are Alchemist or Gunsmith.

I can't say I'm not a little tempted to scrap my Wild Mage and build one of these for tomorrow night.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:59 AM
Inherently Stealthy

It's recreating a class from Eberron in 3.5e. They'd tried once before in the Eberron UA, but the result was lackluster to say the least. This version actually looks fun! I'm really hoping we get an Eberron campaign book with the Artificer, psionics, and Eberron's original races - mostly because I love Eberron.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:02 PM
TARANTUL

How the hell would a concentration spell work when infused?

I love the 3E artificer a lot and I thought the 4E version wasn't bad (wasn't great). This one is missing a bit of what I'd want (no option to do a melee build based around putting magic in your spear/armor) but it doesn't look bad as a starting point.

The alchemist is terribly terribly fiddly with the weird duration and limitations to all their effects and I'd miss having a good attack that doesn't allow a save if I played one. In a game where monks have ki points and warlocks have spell slots that are effectively encounter powers I don't see why they can't just let you brew a limited number of formulas during a short rest and call it a day.

The Gunsmith is a very loud rouge. They actually look pretty decent in combat and I don't mind the ammo limitations per say, but they should have given them a maximum to how many rounds they can carry.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:23 PM
is Earnest

Mearls said on Twitter that he has a finished Psionic class called the Mystic. It has like 6 subclasses, and it should come out in the next few weeks.

Also per Twitter, the person using the infused item has to concentrate.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:15 PM
Inherently Stealthy

They've also said that there's more Artificer subclasses they want to try, so there will almost certainly be a Meleeficier option. IIRC it was far and away the most popular Artificer build in 3.5e, so it'd be a surprise if they didn't include it.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:28 PM
TARANTUL

Magic Weapon was the best At Will in 4E, too (in the game, not for the class).
Old 01-09-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
The Gunsmith is a very loud rouge. They actually look pretty decent in combat and I don't mind the ammo limitations per say, but they should have given them a maximum to how many rounds they can carry.
The thing that jumps out at me about the Gunsmith is that, as written, there's no limitation on what's otherwise referred to as their "special attacks." Starting at 3rd level when you get Thunder Monger, you're doing at least 3d6 damage every round, and it only gets sillier from there. Rogues at least need advantage on the attack or a flanking ally for their bonus damage, neither of which is hard to provide, but the Gunsmith doesn't appear to need anything. I feel like they meant to make these "special attacks" take extra ammo, or put wear on the gun (why else give them the Mending cantrip?), or have a limit per short/long rest, but there's just nothing.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:50 PM
TARANTUL

The limitation is ammo.

Which will run out about as often as a rogue will not have sneak attack in a well functioning party.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:56 PM
is Earnest

It seems like you get a lot of ammo. The biggest downside I can see is that they can't try for a second attack if they miss, and they can't use it for damage on their reaction. Otherwise, it's pretty comparable to a Sneak Attack.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
It seems like you get a lot of ammo. The biggest downside I can see is that they can't try for a second attack if they miss, and they can't use it for damage on their reaction. Otherwise, it's pretty comparable to a Sneak Attack.
Well, except they don't get extra attacks without sacrificing Artificer progression to MC. And Sneak Attack's all about fishing for those juicy crits with your extra attacks and dual weapon.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:01 PM
is Earnest

Yeah, that's why it's a downside for the Gunsmith. Maybe I didn't write that clearly enough.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:16 PM

Finally got a small campaign going with some friends that started a while ago but had to stall until winter break (one is a teacher and just didn't have the time). It took a couple years to organize in the first place because I just do not have the aptitude to DM myself, and we've had to tone down the campaign book we're using because it was written with four or five people in mind... and also the closest thing we have to a healer is our GM paladin. But we're doing it!

We made it out of the opening onslaught and managed to reach level 4 and as a little reward our DM set up a festival at a plot stop for us to enter games and competitions and maybe win some stuff (and maybe get a handful of experience because we didn't encounter anything on the road there). We did really well on the whole, had a ton of fun. The competition I entered though went so far beyond the DM's expectations that he looked for a better reward for it and gave me Boots of Speed. I'm playing a Monk and I had to ask if he realized he was giving that to a Monk (and at level 4) because holy crap, but he's alright with it for now. Strong start so far (probably too strong with those boots now, but no way am I convincing him to take them away).
Old 01-12-2017, 09:41 PM
is Earnest

Congrats on getting a game going! Monks are fun, we had one in our first game. And don't be so sure that you can't DM. Not everyone is going to be a full time DM, but it's worth trying out a one shot some time to see if it's a good fit. If nothing else, let your DM have a break and play a character after you've been playing for a while.

Our game was cancelled again this week, so I still haven't been able to play as a character. I'm hoping that everyone will be able to make it next time.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:30 PM
is Earnest

Our session was cancelled for the third time in a row. I waited over a year to play as a character and now we can't work out a time to play. This is frustrating.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:36 PM
Disco time!

Quote:
Our session was cancelled for the third time in a row. I waited over a year to play as a character and now we can't work out a time to play. This is frustrating.
That's too bad, eh. Also dangerous; once people lose the habit of showing up regularly, the game's doomed.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:09 PM
is Earnest

Everyone's still excited about playing. We're in our 30's and 40's, so life gets in the way. It was just bad luck that different people couldn't make it each week, and that it's happening right when I'm about to play. I'm just being kind of whiney and impatient.

One of my friends came over and made me dinner anyway, which was super nice. She's been listening to The Adventure Zone recently and now she also wants to run a short adventure too. She's not in to games usually, but she's the funniest one in our group, so I'm really looking forward to what she comes up with.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:18 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Everyone's still excited about playing. We're in our 30's and 40's, so life gets in the way. It was just bad luck that different people couldn't make it each week, and that it's happening right when I'm about to play. I'm just being kind of whiney and impatient.
There are tricks you can use to make games work even with irregular attendance, though they usually need to be "baked in" to the campaign from the start, and require commitment from the GM. Not sure if they'd help or not here?
Old 01-18-2017, 09:39 AM
is Earnest

I've been thinking about that, but our current group only has three players. One time, in our old game, the Bard and Monk wanted to keep playing after everyone else left, so they ran off into a forest and picked a fight with some magic shrubs. Due to some bad luck the Bard was immediately knocked unconscious, and the Monk barely won the fight with single digit HP. Ever since then they have been terrified of playing with a group of 2.

We may add some more people down the road, but I don't want to drop new players on a new DM.

e- I've also had an idea in the back of my mind about starting up a West Marches style campaign using "here's some fuckin D&D" rules. This would be one where anyone can jump in whenever, and it could be easier to get new players started since rules are extremely simple.I feel like it would distract a lot from our current campaign though, so I'm just gonna hold on to it for now.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:59 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Ah, yeah, that's much harder to do with a smaller group; in particular, encounter building is much harder to do.

EDIT to expand a little: the basic encounter building math still works okay, but you run into big problems with special abilities, spells, or attack riders on monsters. (See: Ghoul, Mummy, Scarecrow) These things often aren't accounted for well by the encounter math, and it tends to assume you've got a reasonably big party (4-5 people) that can absorb the consequences of a few bad rolls and has a reasonable spread of resources to counteract fatal conditions. 3p parties are kind of rough, and 2p parties require incredible amounts of attention to things the game tries to tell you don't matter.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:08 AM
is Earnest

Someone ended up cancelling again, but we played anyway and created a third character. We made a Dwarf Champion Fighter of indeterminate gender named S. Fillion, PhD who we called Doc. We wrote up a table of actions (stuff like "help party member," "attack," and "DM's Choice") and rolled on it every time their turn came up. Doc mumbled a lot and basically went along with what we were doing. They were mostly a big HP bag that sometimes hit enemies so that the DM didn't have to change up any of their combat math.

The DM made a neat little keep for us to explore. We were on a mission to retrieve a brooch for an old adventurer whose party had been killed. I got to use lightning on a whole row of Hobgoblins, levitated a corpse, teleported to the Astral Plane, and at one point I turned into four potted plants. I also got a sentient dagger which is looking for its owner, so we'll potentially have another adventure down the road. Since our Rogue was absent we missed out on some treasure, and I think some of the rules were a little off, but it was really fun.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:24 PM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

Quote:
e- I've also had an idea in the back of my mind about starting up a West Marches style campaign using "here's some fuckin D&D" rules. This would be one where anyone can jump in whenever, and it could be easier to get new players started since rules are extremely simple.I feel like it would distract a lot from our current campaign though, so I'm just gonna hold on to it for now.
This is some hot shit right here.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:56 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
This is some hot shit right here.
Thanks! I'm gonna keep letting it marinate for now.

We played again today, so two weeks in a row. I didn't know where the party was going to go, so of course they picked the path that I had prepared the least. They joined some halflings on a quest to reclaim their town from a dragon (I know, very original). They're on the way to meet up with someone on an island and they fought a Hydra. It made for a really great solo monster fight since they thought each of the heads counted seperately. I described them landing on the island and seeing a path leading deeper inland, then ended it there so I could take some time to think about what's next. I think they're going to have to save the island dude from something, then pull off a library heist before fighting the dragon. Oh, and I'm gonna have a ton of Kobolds all over the place. This is gonna be a lot of fun.

Tags
concentration , edition wars , gith racism , tasha's hideous slaughter