The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 01-28-2016, 10:55 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
The advent of photography didn't stop people from painting pictures.
What are you trying to say? You're right... except photography shifted the course of painting away from literal representation and towards a greater focus on "painterly qualities," which reinforces Eno's point.

If you really need to be like "people still paint realistic pictures," fine. But who cares?
Old 01-29-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
The advent of photography didn't stop people from painting pictures.
No one is recording music directly on to tapes or vinyl. These are simply formats for different music.

A more appropriate analogy would be to say "the advent of the compressed PNG image format didn't stop people from using BMPs." Except that it absolutely did, of course.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
Don't forget to check out Record Store Day in April. Every year there's something really cool for cheap and something crazy expensive to ponder.
I have mixed feelings about record store day. It's cool that a lot of stuff gets new pressings and its creation did a lot of good for record shops, and it's always around my bday so that's fun. But there's some legitimate criticisms against how large and corporate they've gotten so idk. I guess my stance is good they exist, but I won't really participate.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:46 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
No one is recording music directly on to tapes or vinyl. These are simply formats for different music.

A more appropriate analogy would be to say "the advent of the compressed PNG image format didn't stop people from using BMPs." Except that it absolutely did, of course.
Except in certain technical circles revolving around RPG Maker, romhacks, and various other bits of technical wizardry, where most of the allure was in dealing with withered tech and customization thereof. Which may be a similar theme as vinyl, at least until hipsterdom seized upon it.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:03 PM
Your life is forfeit

Hey, here's a cool thing about vinyl. Last night the stylus slipped from my fingers and dug a 15-second skip scratch into an absolutely pristine copy of an album I love. Rad! Lesson: Vinyl is not a medium for stupid, clumsy people.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:27 PM
Chief Servbot

I only own two vinyl records. They are:

-- A Big Black single I bought in college as a memento;
-- A copy of The Vibrators' Pure Mania that I acquired in the most hipster method of all: by having a record store employee trade it to me in exchange for buying him a fish sandwich from the local diner after a party

I do not own a record player.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:27 PM
crazy sniffable

We had a Victrola and a bunch of 100+ year old records - those suckers were made of shellac and would shatter if they were dropped/bumped etc.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:40 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
I have like 50 LPs and 45s of old bollywood hits that my dad brought over in the 70s. its super cool to go back over those again.
Interesting! I'd love to read a book about the history of the Indian record industry.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:21 PM
MEGADRIVE OVERDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Hey, here's a cool thing about vinyl. Last night the stylus slipped from my fingers and dug a 15-second skip scratch into an absolutely pristine copy of an album I love. Rad! Lesson: Vinyl is not a medium for stupid, clumsy people.
My lessons from a pretty sizable vinyl collection of my parents' that I've dug into bits and pieces of from time to time:

1. It's hard to queue up a song on a record if you lack good fine motor skills
2. Vinyl ages terribly
Old 01-29-2016, 06:37 PM
Your life is forfeit

I wasn't even queuing up a track; my fingers slipped while I was cleaning the stylus. You know. To prevent damage to the record.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:00 PM
Your life is forfeit

I picked up a nearly pristine copy of my all-time favorite live album this weekend. I'm listening to it now, and it's so good. Two-LP set cost me $6, so I guess there are still good deals to be found out there.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:35 PM

So did I fuck up by getting my sis a Crosley cruiser?
Old 12-09-2016, 04:57 AM
Your life is forfeit

Crosley makes cheap garbage, but how much do you think your sister will be using it? If she's going to listen to LPs constantly and strive for good sound, yes, you blew it. If it's going to be a stylish little novelty to sit in the living room and look retro-cool, and maybe she'll occasionally put on a scratchy old album for a laugh, you're cool.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:30 AM

Well I'll be goddamned.

And I just saw this video, too:

Old 12-09-2016, 06:27 AM
Find Your Reason

In this case, if I'm a bit of an audiophile in regards to clarity and fidelity, have spent way too much on trying to find the perfect headphones, and am considering starting a vinyl collection, what IS a good recommendation for an LP player that won't break the bank but will still give me a pleasant entry-level experience?
Old 12-09-2016, 06:33 AM
Your life is forfeit

Audio-Technica's AT-LP120 runs for $200-250 and seems to be regarded by audiophiles as a good balance between price and performance. I have the lower-end model (LP60) and it's great as an entry model but definitely lacks some features I would like to have (and supposedly its tracking pressure is higher than recommended per the video Dizzy posted).
Old 12-09-2016, 07:56 AM

Is the tracking pressure not adjustable on the AT-LP120? That's one of the five players that dude recommended and it's the one I'm looking at now as the one I'll get after I drop off this kid's meal toy at the Target I got it from. I really don't want to be blowing too much money here. (Dunno why technology that's been around over a century has to be this costly.)
Old 12-09-2016, 10:15 AM

FYI: I'm considering this one. If only because it won't burn a hole in my wallet.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:22 AM
Your life is forfeit

LP60's the one I have, and it's good but it doesn't allow you to adjust tracking pressure. (Though the guy in the video says its pressure is OK, contradicting some comments I've seen on audiophile forums.) The LP120 does allow for adjustments, and I'm hoping to upgrade to it when I can afford it.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:53 AM
Butternut Squash

I only buy vinyl if it's either really cheap or a special record to warrant the price. I was at a record fair the other day and picked up some albums for £1 (mostly 80s stuff) that were nothing special, but I dropped £22 on The Cure's Disintegration after seeing them live in November. I was only a casual fan but they've really left an impression and Disintegration is such a gorgeous album. For whatever reason I felt like I needed to own it on a real record, so now I do.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:30 AM

Alright, so I've managed to return the Crosby and get the Audio Technica AT-LP60. My sister got the Stranger Things soundtrack (dunno why) and the Nat King Cole Christmas songs (seasonably appropriate) and the latter was the best one to test the sound.

Goddamn was I relieved at how great it sound, at least in comparison to the Crosby which was ridiculously warpy. So, I think this is about as close as it will get for me to hitting that price-performance sweetspot until I'm willing to cough up more money. Not likely since I don't think my sister will be using that much.

I will give the LP60 a soft recommendation to newbies.

Two things: I'd like to figure out how to change tracks without tearing into the record and clearly better speakers are in order. Although even through the Circuit City-era speakers she was able to use, the sound was pretty good.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:50 AM
Find Your Reason

That price does look attractive. I'm not very much inclined to purchasing another set of speakers, though, so I'll have to research whether/how it can connect to my home theater --and I have a set of Audio-technica M40x cans with a three-meter cord anyway.