The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 03-25-2017, 04:19 PM

One thing I didn't want to leave unmentioned, is that Yotaro has the most incredible/adorable dad-bod going on in the finale.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:20 PM
Oily Butt Thing

on this week's tiger mask it was great how they had like 60 seconds of pretty good animation, and it was paid for by having the rest of the episode be like:

[STILL IMAGE]

ANNOUNCER: [DESCRIBING SUPER EXCITING THING HAPPENING OFF CAMERA]!

tiger mask is fuckin sweet
Old 03-26-2017, 05:33 PM
アヘ顔と加瀬さん

see i would have started watching that show like 6 weeks ago if you'd led with 'it's the red green show but with suplexes'
Old 03-27-2017, 01:23 AM

So latest Tiger Mask I pretty much figured out who The Third is. It's the yellow devil that both Naoto and Takuma fought. My reasoning is, same voice actor.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:03 PM

Fujiko... t-that's... not how you do that...
Old 03-27-2017, 10:54 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
on this week's tiger mask it was great how they had like 60 seconds of pretty good animation, and it was paid for by having the rest of the episode be like:

[STILL IMAGE]

ANNOUNCER: [DESCRIBING SUPER EXCITING THING HAPPENING OFF CAMERA]!

tiger mask is fuckin sweet
IT WAS SO GOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
So latest Tiger Mask I pretty much figured out who The Third is. It's the yellow devil that both Naoto and Takuma fought. My reasoning is, same voice actor.
Also, this show is super lazy and it's...like...who else would it be? Also also, the preview for next week's episode shows Tiger the Dark getting the same wound on his chest from The Third that his dad got from the old Yellow Devil so...yeah...
Old 03-28-2017, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
IT WAS SO GOOD
Also, this show is super lazy and it's...like...who else would it be? Also also, the preview for next week's episode shows Tiger the Dark getting the same wound on his chest from The Third that his dad got from the old Yellow Devil so...yeah...
I actually don't watch the trailers for the next episode, but that kind of spoiled it for me. I'm like a big dumb kid when it comes to Tiger Mask.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:04 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Also, this show is super lazy and it's...like...who else would it be?
yeah I am not expecting complex triple-reverse plots from tiger mask

I am expecting pro wrestling plots
Old 03-28-2017, 07:54 PM

Default Let's be honest. I'd buy it for the OP anyway.

ACCA 13 started calm and cool and kept it up all the way to the end. I really hope somebody picks it up for blu-ray in the states.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:08 PM
Not a Beer

Yeah I just came here to post about the ACCA finale - that was an impressive number of swerves for an episode that was mostly people talking and still hangs together with everything that's come before. Good stuff, thumbs up.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:40 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

ATTENTION

ATTENTION

ATTENTION

G GUNDAM IS ON CRUNCHYROLL

If you haven't seen it before and don't watch it, I am legally required to kick your ass
Old 03-28-2017, 11:23 PM

ACCA was a class act. It was delightful to have a show full of intrigue and drama without resorting to violence or edgy nonsense. The ending was both surprising and also felt like the logical outcome of the plot and its characters. I really appreciated this show. Fascinating world, lovable characters, great stuff. Would have been my AOTS if Rakugo Shinjuu weren't a thing. Most people with inclinations for a colorful world, good drama, and josei archetypes will get a lot of mileage out of this show. If you need your media to be exciting however, it's probably not for you.

Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga - I liked this. I liked Blue Exorcist, and this show pretends the anime-original filler never existed and replaces it with a fairly formulaic but well executed story line evolving all cast and setting in satisfying directions. It's a shame it's only 12 episodes and adapting further story arcs. Thumbs up if you like typical shounen fight stories. Just make sure you watch the first 15 or so episodes of the first show, first.

Masamune-kun's Revenge started out kinda poorly, ended poorly. Not a great show. It was fun watching our loathsome PUA MC get shit on and embarrassed on a regular basis, but the 'romance' in this show as rather off-putting, and being asked to root for thoroughly unlikeable characters just created detachment for me. To top it all off, the non-ending that kinda just peters out mid story arc is just deflating and awful. I don't need stories to end definitively, but find a decent place to stop off at the very least. This was a bad show, don't watch.

Interviews With Monster Girls is largely an OK show if you can get past the occasional skeevy/creepy parts. I don't really have a lot to add here that hasn't already been said. You could do a lot worse if you wanted to watch a Cute Girls Doing Cute Things show, but it's not amazing or guilt-free either.

Gabriel DropOut - this show was kinda bad. It's telling when a side character steals the show, not because they're amazing but because the MC is boring and shitty. The show is about two angels (who aren't very angelic) and two devils (who aren't very evil) living on earth and going to a Japanese HS. Shenanigans ensue, mostly surrounding the characters not acting like they should. Gags are mediocre, and again, cast is mostly disposable. Avoid watching unless you've run out of CGDCT shows.

Seiren is basically: What if you took a generic dating VN, and made a generic anime out of it, where the show is split into thirds exploring the three different romantic routes you could go. So if that sounds like a good time to you go for it, but most people should stay away.

ēlDLIVE had some bargain-bin character designs and production values, but I largely found it entertaining? It's literally just Japanese Green Lantern Corp. It's pretty juvenile however. I don't think I could recommend it to anyone, but it was a guilty pleasure this season.

Gintama. - More Gintama. You either know what this is already or don't. I'm glad this story arc is over.

Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On - It's a show for little kids! Trying to sell videogames! It's not over yet (only about halfway through?) but I'm liking it strangely. It's just fun. And it's got lots of fan service for Monster Hunter fans. It got off to a really slow start; the first 12 or so episodes are about the cast futzing around in the starter-town. But the last 12 or so, the gang has set out to explore the world, so that's been a lot of fun. I seem to remember a few TTers enjoying kids shows; this might be one worth looking into?

Majestic Prince Movie - I liked Majestic Prince. This is a movie sequel to it. It's basically an expanded final act to what the show was. Nothing crazy from a plot perspective, but a fun diversion to spend with the cast again. Just like the show, great battle choreography and interesting mecha designs. Unlike the show, the ending here was a great team battle, that incorporated all of Team Rabbits to do their thing rather than watching Red-5 man-fight the big bad, so that was a lot of fun. It was functionally a lot like the 2nd Tiger & Bunny film in that respect. I liked it a lot, but MJP is a very YMMV kinda thing.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:57 PM

My Hero Academia season two starts this saturday. I'm not ready for this wait to be over.
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM

Default I'm sure it cut costs too

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Majestic Prince Movie - Just like the show, great battle choreography and interesting mecha designs. Unlike the show, the ending here was a great team battle, that incorporated all of Team Rabbits to do their thing rather than watching Red-5 man-fight the big bad, so that was a lot of fun.
Oh~ didn't know this was out. Normally I turn up my nose at CG because it's usually a blatant cost-saving tool but Majestic Prince used it to enhance the mecha battles. The mid-season fight where the entire team has to wail on one enemy general seemed only possible with it.
Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Yeah, that was a pretty crazy fight.
Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Easily the high point of the series, really. Though Asagi's arc afterwards was a little bit weird, as it certainly seemed during that fight that he'd got "fly around fast and stab things" down, but then his story is all about "I'm terrible at flying around fast and stabbing things"
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Blacksmith View Post
Oh~ didn't know this was out. Normally I turn up my nose at CG because it's usually a blatant cost-saving tool but Majestic Prince used it to enhance the mecha battles. The mid-season fight where the entire team has to wail on one enemy general seemed only possible with it.
It's been out for a bit? But it took a while for subs to get made because we're in the post-Crunchy world. It took an anon on /m/ to do it. Subs are pretty decent besides a few typos.

The CGI in MJP is probably some of the best in anime. Most mecha that deploy CGI is purely for cost saving measures, but the intricate battle choreography and cell-shading employed couldn't have been cheap/easy. There's also a lot of excellent manipulation of the models to emulate smearing that happens in traditional animation, so everything looks stylistic and smooth rather than herky-jerky like a lot of CGI-trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Easily the high point of the series, really. Though Asagi's arc afterwards was a little bit weird, as it certainly seemed during that fight that he'd got "fly around fast and stab things" down, but then his story is all about "I'm terrible at flying around fast and stabbing things"
I'm tempted to say this movie is the high point? If you watch it as an epic final episode rather than a standalone thing, it works really well. And the final battle is just *kisses fingers* so much fun. MJP has a lot of Anime™ shenanigans, but the way it builds Team Rabbits and its pit crews as a team is just really well executed, and there's not a lot of shows that pull off similar feats. Only thing to take note of, is that there's kind of an epilogue episode to the show/prologue episode to the movie that you may want to watch first? They aired it on TV to promote the film when it came out in theaters; it should be available on crunchyroll and other spots. I don't think it's essential to understanding the film or anything, but it explains a few things.
Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I'm tempted to say this movie is the high point? If you watch it as an epic final episode rather than a standalone thing, it works really well. And the final battle is just *kisses fingers* so much fun. MJP has a lot of Anime™ shenanigans, but the way it builds Team Rabbits and its pit crews as a team is just really well executed, and there's not a lot of shows that pull off similar feats. Only thing to take note of, is that there's kind of an epilogue episode to the show/prologue episode to the movie that you may want to watch first? They aired it on TV to promote the film when it came out in theaters; it should be available on crunchyroll and other spots. I don't think it's essential to understanding the film or anything, but it explains a few things.
Well I haven't seen the movie yet.

The epilogue episode is indeed part of the series on Crunchyroll

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road