The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 05-31-2009, 07:46 PM
professional bog man

From what I'm reading on here and NeoGAF, it sounds like ListenUP is in need of an intervention.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:51 PM
Sunkist fruit snacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobservo View Post
From what I'm reading on here and NeoGAF, it sounds like ListenUP is in need of an intervention.
What do you mean? Like, a change of cast?
Old 05-31-2009, 08:12 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintomordor View Post
What do you mean? Like, a change of cast?
They could do without the alcohol, for starters. Used to be "Hey, we're having a couple of drinks because it's a relaxed podcast and we're all responsible adults, nothing wrong with livening things up a bit." Nowadays it's closer to "We're hella drunk here and hey John's eating someone's notes FUNNAY." They REALLY need to step back and cut down, because the relaxed attitude is transforming into a hostile atmosphere.

I love how Giant Bomb uses horrid energy drinks as its signature. The one where they had that sleep-inducing drink was hilarious.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:31 PM
professional bog man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
They REALLY need to step back and cut down, because the relaxed attitude is transforming into a hostile atmosphere.
Yeah, we've had two guests completely hammered on ListenUP this year, along with more than a few instances of people slurring/making no sense by the end of the show. Add in all of the hostility and purposeless bickering, and you've got yourself a podcast that's incredibly uncomfortable for the listener. I enjoyed the friendly rivalries/arguments of the old 1UP Yours, but you could tell that people genuinely enjoyed each other's company despite their differences; now they seem genuinely angry with each other, whether that's the way they really feel or not (the booze obviously magnifies this). There were a lot of ugly moments on the last show, but when David Ellis started yelling at Garnett about sequels (though David was right), it really felt like they were about to start fighting physically.

I'd really love for the show to get back on track, because it used to be the highlight of the end of a long week. Maybe they should pass a bong around and record in someone's garage or something?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:50 AM
Spelunker Die

As much as I wish sometimes for longer Retronauts with less editing I've gotta say that listening to a lot of other podcasts lately have made me appreciate what is being done with the show. It's only taken a few months of terrible ListenUPs for me to realize Parish is right.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:21 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
It took me a while to figure it out but RebelFM has nothing that I look for in a podcast. I'm generally looking for one of the following: a well researched discussion of a singular subject where I will learn something, a unique, different and interesting perspective on a subject I am familiar with, a discussion of something where distinct well-reasoned conclusions are reached or a podcast of entertaining personalities where the subject matter doesn't uh, matter. RebelFM's best shot is at the 3rd or maybe the 4th options. It just falls into the same trap as a lot of other gaming themed podcasts where it's just a bunch of dudes talking without any unique insight.
You are listening to Idle Thumbs, right? Those guys have some really great insights into how games are made, plus they spend a lot of time talking about cool indie games. It helps that they're also totally fucking hilarious, as evidenced by the recent episode Shadow and Colossus (or the insanely hilarious Featuring Joe Pesci).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobuyuki View Post
Drinking on a podcast is a bad idea in the same way that I don't want anyone to record me when I'm drunk. Listen Up is getting unlistenable because everyone seems to be going in with the thought that "we're on 1up Yours, that means we can yell and argue!" which translates into a lot of talking over eachother and derailing interesting conversations for the sake of arguing over pointless minutia.
When I used to listen to 1Up Yours, the attitude towards drinking didn't seem all that immature; often they would be partaking of a fine single-malt whiskey, which suggests that their motivation wasn't just to get blotto. But even before 1Up Yours ended, the attitude on the show was getting worse and based on what I'm reading here I don't have too much trouble imagining that things are out of hand. For my part, I listened to the first episode of ListenUp, but with Shane gone, one of the "nicer" voices was lost and it couldn't hold my interest.

These days, my podcast lineup consists of Idle Thumbs, Retronauts and whatever Penny-Arcade puts out (although I have yet to listen to their D&D casts). If I felt the need for another 'cast, I'd probably just start listening to the Bombcast, but right now I have too much to listen to as it is. Which, by the way, is why I'm extremely happy that Parish generally keeps the show from running over an hour and a half per episode. Edit on, you crazy diamond.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobuyuki View Post
The mix of Sharkey and Tina on a podcast is such a bad idea that it becomes brilliant.
Wow, thanks for this recommendation. I just listened to the latest episode and dichotomy is amazing.

29:27 - 30:24
38:22 - 39:30
50:08 - 50:55
51:22 - 51:51

These parts of the 05/26/2009 episode were particularly enlightening.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:37 AM
There's no thread shortag

So...

I want to add some "new" gaming podcasts to my playlist. By rummaging around this thread, I ran across some names. But I still have some questions.

First of all, what I already have and therefore don't need anymore is the type of "What new AAA games are coming out, which of them are you "playin' ", and what do you like or don't like about them?"

What I like:
- discussion about different topics, as in Bitmob or 1up Yours second segment "Community discussion"
- talk about features
- general higher level discussion
- talk about NICHE games (Note: Not especially games by Nich, but also a good thing)
- talk about retro/vc/etc. games
- talk about older games, meaning games older than a year
- talk about PC games, mods, maps, etc.
- talk about Indie games
- funny tangents

What I don't like:
- discussion about NPR and sales numbers, what Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft is doing right/wrong
- Rebel FM (I don't know, the whole show reeks of marihuana, Anthony is always so self-deprecating, FAT PENIS)

I'm currently hooked on
ListenUp (Guilty Pleasure?)
Good Grief
Retronauts (Hell yeah!)
Bitmob (topic discussion woo!)
A Life Well Wasted (so few episodes :-/ )
at1up
Geekbox

So which of the following podcasts would you recommend me?

Gamers with Jobs
Giant Bombcast
Idle Thumbs
Out of the Game (I know, not really gaming related, but Robert Ashley)
Player One
Video Game Outsiders
What They Play

It would also help if you listen to one of them if you could summarize the diversity of topics somehow, that is if one can do that.

Bonus Questions:
When do these podcasts get "good"? Are there special, meaning very good, episodes?

Addendum:
If you can recommend another podcast not on that list, go right ahead. :-)
Old 09-06-2009, 06:08 AM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

Looking at the list of things you like, Idle Thumbs seems like the best bet. Lots of talk about PC games, gameplay mechanics, current news, and more often than not they'll go off on wild tangents. They spread their talk pretty evenly between older, more niche PC games and whatever current games they've been playing. They don't have any structure, which is a shame because it would probably reel them in a little bit, but I enjoy listening to them each week.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:25 AM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

Also; Out of the Game is fun, and I love some of the discussions they get into, but it's rarely gaming related. Giant Bombcast is great too, but they mainly stick with current, popular games, and there's no real in depth discussion. It's one of the funnier podcasts out there though.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:00 AM
GO!

Another podcast you might want to try is Drunken Gamers Radio - I listened to their EGM tribute episode, and it was surprisingly good enough to get me hooked. They tend to drink a bit on the show, but it's not to the Listen UP levels of sloshing and drunken bickering - plus they cover a lot of what you specified (niche, retro, older). There's a weekly Retro games segment where they dig out a classic game and review it, ranging from Atari 2600 to Intellivision to NES up to N64. There's also a weekly "Feature Presentation", which is more of an in-depth look at something in games - last week it was on Nazis in games and why they make such great villains, the week before had Trickman Terry and Sushi-X giving a strategic overview of Street Fighter 4 and their thoughts on it.

DGR is more of an every-man's podcast than an industry-type one but the mixing and audio quality is excellent. Most important to me, they're hardcore shoot 'em up fans and will actually discuss them on air once in a while, which on its own is enough to make me listen :P

Give it a shot, they have episode summaries for each one.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Not-That-Austin-Austin

I love Out of the Game! Also, I think the point is that they talk about topics aside from games, so I'm fine with it. I'm surprised people even find that podcast, though. I just stumbled upon the minimalist page myself.

I'm in the same boat as far as Listen UP; it's just unpleasant to listen to drunk people get annoyed with another for two or more hours.

But hey, if anyone is looking for the opposite of that, very playful and spunky, you should listen to Retro Force Go! It's a Destructoid podcast. [quoting my blog here out of laziness] Its members arenít equipped with the knowledge or research that Retronauts exemplifies, but theyíre not too concerned about that anyway. Retro Force Go is (oddly enough) about laughing, friendship, and the love of games. And guess what? Itís extremely refreshing! The crew genuinely seems to enjoy one another, making for an immensely satisfying listen. They may not know the minutia, the dork trivia ó such as how to properly pronounce Cait Sith (itís KET-SHE) ó but honestly, while listening, I really donít give a shit.

And itís so full of energy!

So full of life!

Most of the liveliness is due to the forever cheerful and quirky Chad Concelmo. Thereís a surprising honesty in his effeminate ďBEST GAME EVAR!Ē proclamations, and even in his frequent, over-the-top laughter. Topher Cantler is also a highlight, with a deep voice thatís monotone yet quirky. He also has a simple, refreshing candor when speaking of his favorite games.

You'll be happy.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:36 AM

Is Drunken Gamers Radio a relatively young podcast? There are so few episodes on there, the earliest is 17.04.2009.
I'll listen into it ;-)

Retro Force Go at least looks very interesting. I'll try and listen to some ;-)
Old 09-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

I couldn't get into Retro Force Go. I guess I just find the cast annoying.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:57 AM
GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danowar View Post
Is Drunken Gamers Radio a relatively young podcast? There are so few episodes on there, the earliest is 17.04.2009.
I'll listen into it ;-)
I think DGR just passed the 300 episode mark - I started listening in January of this year. I think their show notes and such just go back to April when they went through a major format change (from "3 guys around a table talking about news", to what it is now). If you check their posts on the site, you can find them pretty far back. (EGM tribute episode, 01/11/2009)
Old 09-06-2009, 05:49 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

I'll admit, I not to listen to gaming podcasts these days. It's nice to have a break on the bus when I'm otherwise immersed in gaming all day everyday.

To that end, I really enjoy Bill Simmons' B.S. Report and the BBC World News podcast. One has a guy who can make anything interesting, and the other is just a good way to keep up on news, which is something I've been bad about lately.

Back in the day, I listened to 1UP Yours, Retronauts and 1UP FM pretty religiously. Times change, I guess!
Old 09-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Getting Equipped

Quote:
So which of the following podcasts would you recommend me?

Idle Thumbs

Player One

What They Play
Those are the 3 from your list that I listen to.

Idle Thumbs has already been covered.

Player One is a fun version of Listen Up. Every so often they do a segment called Game Club where they play a retro game for a few weeks and then discuss it, along with contributions from their forums and voicemail.

What They Play is short, usually 30 minute episodes. There is some discussion of new games, but it's mostly a discussion on gaming/parenting. A bit of a different spin than you get from the others.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Banned

Idle Thumbs for sure. Honestly, download the entire backlog and start at episode 1. You'll appreciate the in-jokes later and the material isn't particularly dated (no 'this month in NPD's' or anything).

I can't recommend A Life Will Wasted, personally. It doesn't do anything for me, but the production values are incredibly high and it's popular with a lot of people, so it's worth a try. Only four episodes out, so pick the one that sounds most interesting and give it a shot.

Retroforce Go! from Destructiod is hit and miss. 100 episodes, so pick a couple on games you like. I second the comment on the sheer personable chemistry of the group, unlike the alcohol-fuelled uncomfortable stuff that's been going on in ListenUP at times.

I'll also recommend Bill Simmons' podcast, but again, pick and choose which you listen to. He makes basketball sound relatively interesting to me, which means I don't immediately delete the episode out of hand.

Econ Talk, guys. ECON TALK. almost four years of weekly backlog. It's better than multiple classes in economics, you have a large set of guests to go along with the host (I recommend Robin Hanson and Nasim Taleb for starter guests). He's even interviewed sports ticket scalpers and used/new car salesmen for the podcast at times, not just professors. Historical markets, monetary policy, game theory...oh man, is it hot in here?
Old 09-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Banned

I really disliked Idle Thumbs, and all of the "download them all and start from the beginning" comments are pretty damning. A podcast episode should be able to stand on its own.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:32 AM
www.RetrowareTV.com

I've actually been listening to fewer and fewer podcasts lately. I used to listen to a bunch, but now I've paired down to like 5 and a few of those are on thin ice for me....

I think podcasting has a lot of potential, but they all seem to be a bit same-y right now, especially in the gaming space.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:35 AM
and ermine, too

Idle Thumbs is my Brodeo methadone. Lots of PC exclusive talk. Even though I haven't been in that world for a while, I like to hear about the smaller indie PC projects that are always showing up on Steam and other download services.

It's possible that the podcast has crawled too far up its navel with inside jokes by this point, I can't really say. But when I started listening cold around episode 10, it wasn't a problem.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:47 AM

So are there particular episodes of these podcasts which stand out and are a must-listen?

And do those podcasts have a "golden age", a time where they get real good?
Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 AM
concern troll

I've been pruning my podcasts, as I no longer have a job where I can listen to them during the day. I cut out Rebel FM, Good Grief (never "clicked" for me), Infendo radio (got really crappy after Scott Johnson left) and Geekbox (not a computer gamer).

I agree with Listen Up getting kind of shitty. I feel like the trouble in the industry (media, not gaming) is still affecting those guys, and they are drinking too much, and it's getting way too bitter and angry. I think they need a break and maybe a recast. I like John. Maybe I should try his other podcast?

So if you like a person/group, but you just don't have time to listen to their podcast anymore, is it better to keep the subscription and not listen to it, or just delete it? What I mean is, from a podcast provider perspective, would it be better to have the number of subscribers, or is it not worth the bandwidth to have someone downloading who isn't listening regularly? I was just thinking about that as I was deleting feeds.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:49 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
So are there particular episodes of these podcasts which stand out and are a must-listen?

And do those podcasts have a "golden age", a time where they get real good?
GFW Radio was always great, but I remember the latter half of 2007 being kind of amazing. I've listened to a lot of those episodes more than once.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben1842 View Post
I've actually been listening to fewer and fewer podcasts lately. I used to listen to a bunch, but now I've paired down to like 5 and a few of those are on thin ice for me....

I think podcasting has a lot of potential, but they all seem to be a bit same-y right now, especially in the gaming space.
Yep. I don't even listen to non-Retronauts gaming podcasts anymore. I get more lulz from the same content just bullshitting on XBL.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:01 PM
who's she

Gaming podcasts in general are incredibly boring. It's like listening to D&D nerds talk about their favorite campaigns - and I have been a D&D nerd, but I don't expect anyone else to want to hear stories about cool stuff that I make-believed I did.*

*One time I stared down a T-Rex. It was awesome! And I tried to skin a necromancer to get the spells that were tattooed on his body, but the DM wouldn't let me.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

The Penny Arcade podcast is an exception. I enjoy every episode of that one :I
Old 09-07-2009, 06:35 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
The Penny Arcade podcast is an exception. I enjoy every episode of that one :I
I think this is a case, though, where rarity increases its value. I like it too, but I might get bored of it if they just pumped one out every week. (Or, hey, every strip.)

I don't know what their standard is for what does and doesn't become a podcast, but I appreciate that they have one.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pence View Post
Idle Thumbs is my Brodeo methadone. Lots of PC exclusive talk. Even though I haven't been in that world for a while, I like to hear about the smaller indie PC projects that are always showing up on Steam and other download services.

It's possible that the podcast has crawled too far up its navel with inside jokes by this point, I can't really say. But when I started listening cold around episode 10, it wasn't a problem.
You don't get ALL the inside jokes if you don't but that's not the POINT.

The POINT is that Idle Thumbs is SO GOOD you want to start at the beginning so you don't miss one.

PS: even if you hate the inside jokes, do listen to their first PAX standalone. They interview/talk to Ron Gilbert, the PAX keynote speaker.

Last edited by dwolfe; 09-08-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:53 PM
A No.1

I love Idle Thumbs and I don't play PC games at all. The Brodeo was the same way.

I should hang out with more PC gamers, is what I'm telling you.

Tags
podcast , recommendations , whats up hot dog