The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 08-15-2007, 12:36 PM

I've been reading the Nixon tapes off and on because you can only take so much in one sitting.

I'm almost done with Brothers: The Hidden History of the Kennedy Years by David Talbot. It's basically an outline of all the events and policy changes that made people hate the Kennedys. It also gives in-depth profiles of the Band of Brothers that does nothing more than make me a bit sad when I slowly realize that we may never see a US government that pure and optimistic ever again. Plus learning about all the bat shit generals in the Joint Chiefs is scary as hell. It's amazing how close this country was to a bloody coup after the Bay of Pigs.

The big surprise though is how not evil Fidel Castro is and was. Oh silly US media and your anti-communist propaganda.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:03 PM
clean cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobservo View Post
It took me forever to get through a monstrosity of a Wilkie Collins book (NOT WORTH IT...
I have read one Wilkie Collins book and it created the same sentiment in me.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:13 PM
This is what happens!

I've just started reading the second volume of The Demon Princes by Jack Vance. This is actually the first of his series that I've read and I quite liked the first volume. Also, Michael Swanwick totally stole the idea of the Institute for Stations of the Tide.

Next I think I'll read the fourth Halo book, Ghosts of Onyx, probably followed by Pale Fire by Nabokov.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:15 PM
professional bog man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Bavis View Post
I have read one Wilkie Collins book and it created the same sentiment in me.
Which one? I read The Woman in White and was honestly surprised that it sucked so much because I really dug one of his short stories.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:39 PM
who's she

Alternating between two books...

"A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson which is quite interesting and as a bonus contains many reasons to fear imminent apocalypse.

"Thud" by Terry Pratchett. I'm not sure if I'll finish this. Please understand, I'm about as big a Pratchett fan as anyone around here, but after twenty-odd books I think I'm kinda done with Discworld.

My favorite book that I read recently was "The Man Who Folded Himself," which pretty much takes the time-travel story to its logical extreme.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Time for singing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post

"A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson which is quite interesting and as a bonus contains many reasons to fear imminent apocalypse.
Ooh, that sounds pretty interesting. What kind of reasons?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:22 AM
who's she

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Ooh, that sounds pretty interesting. What kind of reasons?
Well, there's the usual reason of "An asteroid could be on its way to hit us right now and there's a good chance we'd miss it, and by the way you'll have about a second to see it coming before you're dead."

There's also apparently a ginormous pressure bubble under Yellowstone that explodes the hell out of the Earth's crust every few hundred thousand years.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:22 AM

Quote:
"Thud" by Terry Pratchett. I'm not sure if I'll finish this. Please understand, I'm about as big a Pratchett fan as anyone around here, but after twenty-odd books I think I'm kinda done with Discworld.
Man, I'm the same. I liked Going Postal, but other than that the last few books have just left me cold. The Tiffany Aching ones have been alright, though.

I am reading the Count of Monte Cristo right now.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:05 AM
Me Gorgar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
Alternating between two books...

Good! Now I don't feel quite so bad that this happened to me at "Monstrous Regiment".
Old 08-17-2007, 07:34 AM
HellCorgieが倒せない!

I have to admit, I'm not a Prachett fan. I appreciate his writing, but I just never got into it. I was never a fan of Douglas Adams, either.

Hey avid readers who hold jobs that include noontime feedings in office / retail lunchrooms, have you given up reading during lunch hour? I know I did when I worked retail. People would either constantly ask "WHATCHYA READING??? IS IT GOOD? THE MOVIE WAS GOOD!!!" or they'd make fun of you for being a bookworm.

In one instance, I worked with people who got angry with me because I read through lunch hour and was obviously "trying to be smarter than them." WTF.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:54 AM
Soul searching

I'm reading Rayuela (Hopscotch), from Julio Cortazar. He would be happy doing videogames, I think.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia View Post
Hey avid readers who hold jobs that include noontime feedings in office / retail lunchrooms, have you given up reading during lunch hour? I know I did when I worked retail. People would either constantly ask "WHATCHYA READING??? IS IT GOOD? THE MOVIE WAS GOOD!!!" or they'd make fun of you for being a bookworm.

In one instance, I worked with people who got angry with me because I read through lunch hour and was obviously "trying to be smarter than them." WTF.
I read during my lunch hours, but I work at a library, so no one really bothers me. The co-workers are all fairly understanding.

And it seems you don't have to "try" to be smarter than them, because you already are.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:36 AM
Obstinate Observer

I've been reading a lot lately. The machines that are necessary for me to accomplish my work goals are down which leaves me eight hours of free time to spend it as I see fit; that is to say, as I see fit as long as my chain of command doesn't think it's spent frivolously. Therefore, I've been given the A-OK to push through a few books. I just finished "IV" by Chuck Klosterman; not his best work to date, but I've never been much for editorial compilations of published stories and essays. I really enjoyed "Sex, Drugs & Cocoa Puffs" but this just left me a little underwhelmed.

I'm currently wrapped up in "The Curse of Chalion". I decided that because I've read many of the so-called classics of literature, that I'd delve into another area of fiction that receive or are nominated for Hugo Awards. I had previously read "Jonathon Strange & Mr. Norrell" as well as "American Gods," both Hugo recipients, and I quite enjoyed them both. Since Ms. Bujold is held in great esteem with that organization, I decided her book would make a great notch to my fantasy bed post. So far, a little dry. "American Gods" it is not. But, then, little is.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia View Post
To echo sraymonds, the perfect response to that statement is "apparently, I don't have to try very hard."
Old 08-17-2007, 09:10 AM
clean cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobservo View Post
Which one? I read The Woman in White and was honestly surprised that it sucked so much because I really dug one of his short stories.
Same here. It's the only one of his I've read. It was decent at the start, but then became obvious that he didn't know where the story was headed and he was just trying to get more "episodes" in the serial. I remember thinking that "The Secret" that was talked up from the beginning was very weak.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_marten_abortion View Post
I'm currently wrapped up in "The Curse of Chalion". I decided that because I've read many of the so-called classics of literature, that I'd delve into another area of fiction that receive or are nominated for Hugo Awards. I had previously read "Jonathon Strange & Mr. Norrell" as well as "American Gods," both Hugo recipients, and I quite enjoyed them both. Since Ms. Bujold is held in great esteem with that organization, I decided her book would make a great notch to my fantasy bed post. So far, a little dry. "American Gods" it is not. But, then, little is.
Her two other books set in the Chalion universe are a bit livelier I suppose, but Cazaril's always had a soft spot in my heart. Not often you get mains who are washed-up middle-aged noblemen.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Obstinate Observer

Sometimes I need some reinforcement with books: It took one Shawn Elliot to get me to pull "The Road" off of the shelf after I originally dismissed it for it's peculiar style. Turned out to be one of my favorite books last year, despite the little Oprah seal of approval. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Time for singing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraymonds View Post
I read during my lunch hours, but I work at a library, so no one really bothers me. The co-workers are all fairly understanding.

And it seems you don't have to "try" to be smarter than them, because you already are.
I used to read during lunch break my entire senior year of high school, which led passerby to say nice things about how I was apparently retarded.

It was very strange. And it wasn't as though I was reading something like "Hey, I'm a Retard: For Dummies" or anything. So who knows.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Obstinate Observer

Are you sure it wasn't the fat tongue or the Pete Rose hairdo that tipped them off?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:21 PM

Currently i'm wading my way throught "Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerfyl Mercenary Army" beacuse I saw it on the Colbert Report and, well it seemed interesting. I'm stuck in the beginning and haven't touched it in weeks.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Time for singing

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_marten_abortion View Post
Are you sure it wasn't the fat tongue or the Pete Rose hairdo that tipped them off?
That was cool back in my day! Was a sign of status, I tell ya.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
I used to read during lunch break my entire senior year of high school, which led passerby to say nice things about how I was apparently retarded.

It was very strange. And it wasn't as though I was reading something like "Hey, I'm a Retard: For Dummies" or anything. So who knows.
Well, if it helps, most teens are dicks.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Obstinate Observer

Quote:
That was cool back in my day! Was a sign of status, I tell ya.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Not Actually Larry

I'm kicking myself for not having picked up the Dune series earlier now. I just flew through the first two books, and the ending of Dune Messiah made it one of the few books that has moved me to tears. Granted, I'm a sucker for that type of resolution, but still, two beautifully crafted books. I'm starting on Erickson's Malazan series and another Discworld book before I dig deeper into Dune.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:24 PM
gatchapon 3*

no, dont do it! the first two books are masterworks of literature. the rest are not.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:12 PM

As poor as the latter Dune books are, they are masterworks of literature compared to the Kevin J Anderson-penned tie-ins.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:57 PM
I Can Do Magic Things

Catching up on 100 Bullets in TPB, starting Drifting Classroom after all those mentions by Parish, and The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:23 PM
Run Trombe!

BSCI

/kills thread with heavy textbook
Old 08-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpy View Post
Catching up on 100 Bullets in TPB, starting Drifting Classroom after all those mentions by Parish, and The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon.
Trumpy!? Would... would you care for a winged potato?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:13 PM
I Can Do Magic Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Nicolai View Post
Trumpy!? Would... would you care for a winged potato?
That potato would be even better with Smucker's raspberry preserves.

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book