The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-09-2017, 08:10 AM
Mystery Contraption

I did like that little tidbit; your hometown is the only place in the MH world where people befriend monsters, and try to avoid other regions because their pets and best friends will invariably be killed and converted into pants as soon as they see any other living human.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:03 PM
An Animal of Joy

Wait, were we the monsters being hunted all along?
Old 09-09-2017, 09:58 PM
?!

Q: 20XX is to Mega Man as ??? is to Metroid
A: A Robot Named Fight!
Old 09-09-2017, 10:19 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Speaking of Monster Hunter, half our D&D party wasn't available today, so instead like... ten hours of MonHun Generations happened. Got my High Rank Volvidon helm, maxed out my helm, pants, gauntlets, and one of my waist pieces. Just need to get a... nakarkos soul gem and some Gore Magala parts to max out my Astral Suit and my Deviljho-based championship belt. I'm sitting at 580-600 defense now. My gear is 90% cosmetic - the helm and a three-slot talisman together gets me Focus so I can charge my greatsword swings faster. The rest of my gear is all "look as cool as possible while also having as many slots as possible." I've got a set up using a Nargacuga waist that has Attack Up M, and using my Deviljho waist that can go with either Recovery Level Up or Sheathing. Probably going to go for a Mind's Eye version too; for more heavily armored monsters.

But the most important thing: I look like a Kamen Rider.

Once I'm done becoming the ultimate Kamen Rider, I'm probably going to max out my Sexy Cowboy gear. It's 100% cosmetic, and it's goal is to show as much dude-flesh as possible while being as cowboy as possible. If even one teenager tells their friends about this crazy cowboy they saw online, that outfit has accomplished its goal.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:24 AM

I am no Monster Hunter expert, but I put a few hundred hours into Monster Hunter Generations and I feel like at a certain point, farming your awesome cosmetic gear becomes the endgame.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:35 AM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
I am no Monster Hunter expert, but I put a few hundred hours into Monster Hunter Generations and I feel like at a certain point, farming your awesome cosmetic gear becomes the endgame.
Either that or making builds that kill monsters in as few hits as possible.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:10 PM
disguised king of surfing

Hmm...

...nah, it's definitely the glamour.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:34 PM
Video Monster

Guys, I know this might be an unpopular hot take, but I think, maybe, Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild might be a really good game.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:51 PM

I didn't think I was into playing another JRPG right now, but the Monster Hunter Stories demo has convinced me otherwise. It's so great!
Old 09-11-2017, 03:05 PM
Daber.txt

Yakuza is still good.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:52 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

I'm having way more fun with Paladins than I expected! I lucked out and love the first two characters I tried, Barik and Pip. I might have a panic attack if I get dropped into a team that somehow needs a Damage or Flank character, though.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:30 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Jumped back into Rise of the Tomb Raider. Man they packed a lot of stuff into this one.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:15 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Everyone else is excited about Etrian Odyssey V, but in typical JBear fashion I am currently excited about Etrian Odyssey III! I started it up during my week off and now it's 30 hours of play time later and I'm currently obsessed with it. I was lying in bed playing it until after 2AM last night. I loved both previous EO games, but this one has really got its hooks into me. I want to be home playing it right now!

I love my sailing ship. Whenever I get bored or fed up with the dungeon, I go sailing, and when I've had my fill of that, I dive back into the dungeon, and the two feed into each other. I just can't put it down.

Oh, and I love how I can give back-benchers XP via quest rewards. Is that new? I'm making extensive use of it, anyway, and it's a really nice mechanic. I've make a few skilling mistakes, but only one major enough that I felt compelled to rest (I gave my Hoplite some spear attacks, but she's way too busy defending to hit things, so I'd rather she be better at that, and she's already caught back up).

Also, I get to be a pirate.

ETA: I never had as much problem settling on a party in previous games. I just can't decide here for some reason. I've finally decided to just bench the Ninja/Zodiac (she was good early on for setting up chasers to her AoE sleep attack with low skill investment, which I leaned on heavily to clean up groups in the first stratum, but knives kind of suck and she just doesn't hit hard enough any more), and I had decided to relegate my Farmer/Buccaneer to the B/Farm team, but now this new lava stratum has a bunch of damage floors so she's back on the A team to prevent floor damage. My Hoplite/Ninja and Zodiac/Arbalist are the core, but the other slots are fluid. My other two front row slot alternate between 2 of 3 of my Buccaneer/Prince, Gladiator/Hoplite, and Monk/Gladiator, while my spare back row spot alternates between my Arbalist/Princess, Princess/Monk, and the aformentioned Farmer/Buccaneer. I should really just firm things up so I stop spreading my experience so thin, but I can't. I can't even decide on a healer. The Monk/Gladiator was just supposed to be a stop-gap until I got my monster of a Princess/Monk up and running (which requires a heavy skill point investment), but now I just find myself wanting to specialize them both differently. Anyway, these classes/talent trees are super fun and it's a fun problem to have. The sub-classing in particular was a fun/pleasant surprise/optimization challenge!

Last edited by JBear; 09-18-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:47 PM
TARANTUL

EOIII has the most diverse and interesting class set of the series, locking youself down to 5(/10) is a major undertaking.

Easily my favorite of them, even if IV is technically a better game.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:49 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Easily my favorite of them, even if IV is technically a better game.
I don't understand why people say this. By EO III we already had the quality-of-life improvements that the first game lacked. Is there something mechanical about IV that you prefer? Because for me, III has it beat on every level. The original is still my favorite, but I think EO III is the best the series has ever been.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I don't understand why people say this. By EO III we already had the quality-of-life improvements that the first game lacked. Is there something mechanical about IV that you prefer? Because for me, III has it beat on every level. The original is still my favorite, but I think EO III is the best the series has ever been.
The boat segments in EO3 are horrible. EO4 has the airship stuff, and while it isn't exactly exciting or anything, it's at least tolerable.

That's all I got.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:11 PM
TARANTUL

EO3 is an unfocused, broken, hot mess in a lot of places. Class balance is all over the place, there's a ton of sprawl, the boat is a puzzle (it's not bad but it's not as cool as the airships). Multiclassing is just silly.

EO4 has really solid classes and a much more reasonable multiclass system. Poison Circle is a little off but everything else is pretty much right where it should be. The only thing it actually does wrong is not having a fun new game + option where I can take the two classes introduced into the game out at level 1. It's also a little bit easier, and while I don't really get much out of that I would recommend it to other people for that reason alone unless you're already a serious first person RPG type.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:12 PM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

I want a remake of EO3 just because god damn is that FOE theme amazing
Old 09-18-2017, 02:13 PM
Love is OGR

EOIII has the best classes, best character art overall, best writing, best setting, best music, best labyrinth themes, best difficulty level, the best text font... the series is still great, but the particular style of presentation that existed on DS definitely shifted when the games moved to 3DS.

As far as interface, they keep tinkering with it every game, so I don't think it ever really reaches a point where you can call it over and done with and perfected. IV added the function of checking enemy weaknesses during battle with the press of a button, which made the elemental caster type classes fun to use for the first time, personally. There's stuff like that every time.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:14 PM
disguised king of surfing

EO4 is also the only one to-date that realized that not every single skill had to eat up ten skill points.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:23 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
EO4 is also the only one to-date that realized that not every single skill had to eat up ten skill points.
Yep, that's huge. EOIV's general class design is rock solid, and while it starts out a little boring the three unlocked classes are all cool and interesting.

There's nothing as wild as the Ninja and .. well the Wildlings of III (and I do miss the extra party slot as a resource) but you don't have any really weird gimmick classes like the Ninja or the Yaggdroid either.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:53 PM
Spear of Justice

I'd completely forgotten what a charming little platformer the original Sly Cooper is until finally replaying it today. Although I can certainly understand the "Master Thief Sprint" challenges being frustrating to some players, I'm having a grand time perfecting my speedruns of the individual stages. Decided to grab a PS2 copy because I'd heard the newer PS3 HD collection was a tad buggy, especially with audio.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
I'd completely forgotten what a charming little platformer the original Sly Cooper is until finally replaying it today. Although I can certainly understand the "Master Thief Sprint" challenges being frustrating to some players, I'm having a grand time perfecting my speedruns of the individual stages. Decided to grab a PS2 copy because I'd heard the newer PS3 HD collection was a tad buggy, especially with audio.
Would be one of my favourites if not for that frickin racing mission. I can't even remember if there's more than one, I just know it was infuriating.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:19 PM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Would be one of my favourites if not for that frickin racing mission. I can't even remember if there's more than one, I just know it was infuriating.
The awkward left-analog-stick-only control scheme for driving the van certainly doesn't do it any favors! Fortunately it only required a handful of attempts until I got the hang of taking corners more smoothly, and then it was back to the delightful platforming.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:33 PM

Over the last couple days I've had some good times with Heat Signature, a game about hijacking procedurally generated spaceships. I'd imagine it probably gets repetitive after a while, but there are enough different gadgets you can use (and enough different enemies you can use those gadgets on) that I've found it to be pretty entertaining.

The launch trailer does a pretty decent job of explaining what's going on with this game.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:48 PM
Just bear with me

The mini-games are generally not great in the game. I also hated the last fight with the owl, because that little obstacle course you have to go through is the stuff of broken game controllers.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:42 AM

Cuphead is magnificent. Mag frickin nificent.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:38 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Cuphead is magnificent. Mag frickin nificent.
Good luck selling it as an Xbone exclusive (on consoles). A neat art style only goes so far for Contra/Metal Slug type kill-ya-dead shooters, and Camp Sony has a much bigger userbase (and by extension a larger pool of indie fans who may buy such a thing) than the Microsoft Shed-Out-Back. And while it's still too early to tell how things will pan out, the Nintendo Switch is looking a lot like it'll be the Vita 2.0...in regards to having great indie support I mean, not in the "left for dead in a ditch by its own creators" way.

Infinite lives is definitely a nice feature, though.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:57 AM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Wait, you can't get Cuphead on PS4?
Old 09-30-2017, 11:10 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Wait, you can't get Cuphead on PS4?
Nope. This little indie's been billed as an Xbox One exclusive for ages, and it ain't got *For a limited time only tacked on the end like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dead Rising 4, and Thimbleweed Park did. Likely a case of "Microsoft threw money at us to help us finish this."

Frankly Xbone needs any exclusives it can get, but I just don't see the words "Cuphead" and "System Seller" coupling together all that well, even with the retro animation stylings.

Tags
everything is awesome , fear of new threads , good games , just make a new thread , making threads is better , repulsive positivity