The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 01-22-2017, 11:59 AM
Remembers Love

IIRC from the books, the Roci crew didn't really start to click until they get to Tycho, then they really start to come together after Eros (once they have Miller to bounce off of), and they're a big happy family by the second book. They've punted on that a bit, maybe, but I'm not too concerned they're going to be angry and suspicious for the entire series.

As for the depictions, I think the show actually improves Alex. Cas Anvar's performance is alright, but just the fact that he's there is an improvement over the vaguely affable presence that he is in the books. Amos on the other hand feels like a step back. Wes Chatham plays him as being visibly pissed-off all the time, and I think that the books characterization of him as a big friendly bear with an infinite potential for violence is more fun.*

I think Holden's definitely too smoldering by half. They should have found an actor that's more cornfed. Strait doesn't read like a country boy at all to me.

Naomi's aces, though.

*My fantasy casting for Amos is Domenick Lombardozzi. It's the Baltimore connection for sure, but I think he's spot on for the role.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:20 PM
Mystery Contraption

I pictured Amos as a super-jacked Aziz Ansari.

Like, his head super-imposed on a gargantuan mans body.

Also; Holden and Miller as Jim Varney and Bob Hoskins, respectively.

I don't care what the text says!
Old 01-22-2017, 12:40 PM
Remembers Love

The description of Miller's dumb hat really fucked me up and I kept picturing the character as Alex from Clockwork Orange, because I have a bad brain. Thomas Jane seems fine, but that's partially because my brain had a 404 trying to picture "bedraggled skinny detective with a stupid hat".

The show actually made a real sharp choice in casting people with Marfan Syndrome as some of the Belters, so maybe I should pay someone to take a picture of Bradford Cox in a bad suit.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:52 PM
noble beast

Done. I liked the back half of the book more than its front.

Now to chow down on some prequel salads before I get to Caliban's War. (maybe the prequels are worthwhile, although the Anderson flashbacks felt a bit like dead weight on the show)

I still have a much more positive impression of book Miller than show Miller. Not sure how much of that is attributable to Jane, or how much I disliked book Holden in the beginning. (so much) Little of both, I'm sure.

Wes Chatham can stay, IMO. The actor who plays Holden is also fine. Not that bothered that they're different from the books. (I have read one book in this series)(I still don't think I'll care if I read more)
Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM

I just started Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM
is Earnest

Michael Moorcock's Elric series.
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM
Invincible Spinning Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Michael Moorcock's Elric series.
I've had several of these bumming around in my collection for years, intending to read them due to their influence on D&D and other stuff, but still haven't. Let us know what you think.
Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM
Time is Luck

I loved the Elric yarns when I was younger. Nowadays they more sorta remind me of when I was younger. Still pretty interesting reads though.
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I've had several of these bumming around in my collection for years, intending to read them due to their influence on D&D and other stuff, but still haven't. Let us know what you think.
I'm about 95% of the way through the first book and it's super good. The main characters are demon worshipers who have pet dragons. Everyone is on drugs. There's lots of cool magic and supernatural entities. It's like Earthsea if everyone was evil.
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM
Remembers Love

I recall the first book having some fun ideas, but the writing being really purple. Sailor on the Seas of Fate really worked for me, though.
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM
Invincible Spinning Skull

I'd probably enjoy it, then. I have much Clark Ashton Smith on my shelves and that sure sounds like something he'd write.
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
Time is Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
Sailor on the Seas of Fate really worked for me, though.
It's been a long time since I knew the chronology backwards and forwards but Sailor is some of the last material he wrote for the series, when he was older and mellowed out a little. The earliest stories were written by Moorcock the 22-year-old mean drunk.
Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM
Evocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
It's been a long time since I knew the chronology backwards and forwards but Sailor is some of the last material he wrote for the series, when he was older and mellowed out a little. The earliest stories were written by Moorcock the 22-year-old mean drunk.
Have you read The Whispering Swarm? It's kind of a mess of a novel, but it's Moorcock's account of his own time in his life, though probably with more excursions into alternate universes and adventures with the Three Musketeers than actually happened. I'm not sure I would recommend it, but it's interesting.

Current reading: The Secret History of Twin Peaks by Mark Frost. It's good!

Other recent reading: I read some more R.A. Lafferty so I could write about him.
Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM
Time is Luck

No, I haven't gone back and read any of his new stuff in...15 years? 20? I'll check it out.

I did recently take another crack at Gloriana, which is a book I only vaguely understood or appreciated as a teenager. Man that's one weird novel. Good shit.
Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM
Evocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
No, I haven't gone back and read any of his new stuff in...15 years? 20? I'll check it out.
I actually just edited my post - It's interesting, but not necessarily the book I'd recommend for getting back into his work. I think it could have been a much better book if it were much shorter.
Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM
oh my car

I expected to be long past done with Pharaoh by now, but it seems like every dew dozen pages I'll read a passage that's so good that I have to stop right there, come back after a few minutes, read it again, and then shut the book. And every once in a while it'll be an entire chapter that's just so beautiful that I can't even bring myself to read the next one for a couple of days. And this with me knowing pretty much the whole story!

I do not at all regret holding out for the contemporary translation.

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book