The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 10-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
I'm currently reading Heirs to Forgotten Kingdoms: Journeys Into the Disappearing Religions of the Middle East by Russell, and it's absolutely fantastic. The author is a former british diplomat who lived and traveled in the mideast, and is fluent in arabic, pashto and farsi. He does incredible research on minority religions fighting for survival under the dominant Islamic culture, and it's a fascinating look at a hidden universe. I found this book because i was interested in learning about the Yazidi when ISIS started destroying them, and it really does a great job.
This sounds right up my alley. Thank you for sharing Shivam.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:27 PM

Anno Dracula was awesome. Definitely will look into reading the rest of the series

On to Reincarnation Blues by Michael Poole
Old 10-12-2017, 01:41 PM

Finally diving into Meddling Kids by Edgar Cantero
Old 10-14-2017, 07:59 AM

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
Old 10-14-2017, 02:31 PM
Nonplussed

I just finished The Obelisk Gate by N.K. Jemisin. It was fantastic (as was the previous book, The Fifth Season), and it won a Hugo as well (perhaps these things are related). On to the final volume, The Stone Sky.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:36 PM

Apparently, Russian literature and I don't get along too well. Instead, going to get lost in Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb. They say this trilogy is better than the first one
Old 10-15-2017, 08:20 PM
is Earnest

I recently read through the Lyonesse trilogy by Jack Vance. It's incredibly inventive and interesting, but also unfocused and scattershot. I would almost recommend it, but it's also incredibly misogynistic. Like, the heroes are very proud of themselves for not raping women, but they still harass them constantly. It's a huge disappointment.

I also recently read about 25 issues of Delicious in Dungeon. It's magnificent, and I can't recommend it highly enough. It's basically Etrian Odyssey, but the adventurers can't afford supplies so they cook & eat the monsters they kill. It's hilarious how excited they get about cooking monsters, and they actually have recipies, anatomies, and ecological data about each one. The dungeon design and art are solid too. The end of the first big adventure gets overly serious and cheesy, but it's definitely worth reading through their adventures in the first four levels.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:33 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
I'm currently reading Heirs to Forgotten Kingdoms: Journeys Into the Disappearing Religions of the Middle East by Russell, and it's absolutely fantastic. The author is a former british diplomat who lived and traveled in the mideast, and is fluent in arabic, pashto and farsi. He does incredible research on minority religions fighting for survival under the dominant Islamic culture, and it's a fascinating look at a hidden universe. I found this book because i was interested in learning about the Yazidi when ISIS started destroying them, and it really does a great job.
I finished this today and damn it was good. It's been a while since i read a nonfiction book i immediately wanted to start over and reread with wikipedia and reference books at hand.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:06 PM
noble beast

Finished Sapiens, then read Homo Deus right after. Fascinating and thought-provoking, they left me with more wonder and curiousity than dread about the future. (not the case with all reviewers) The future's always kind of horrifying, but so was the past and so is present.

Harari references Stanislas Dehaene. I recently read his Consciousness and the Brain. Would also recommend. It's definitely a more hopeful work than Homo Deus because the former's wildly enthusiastic about consciousness (which I agree is very cool and personally important) while Homo Deus argues might not matter much in the future. (hope it will!)

From Shame to Sin is a compelling history of Roman sexual history and switch from pagan to Christian sexual ethics.

On a much lighter note: Dave Holmes' Party of One is a very fun memoir, particularly if you're gay.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:45 PM
gatchapon 3*

new Steven Brust book came in! super stoked to start reading it.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:55 PM

Origin by Dan Brown
Old 10-20-2017, 09:45 PM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterthes View Post
Origin by Dan Brown
why
Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Finished Book of Three and begun Black Cauldron (the Kindle edition has the whole series as one book). Itís easy to see how this series earned its reputation. Itís a pretty (well, excessively) by-the-numbers fantasy plot, but very accessible and the entire cast is made up of easily recognizable characters. Also, again, the first main villain is Skeletor.

On the downside; I donít have a damn clue how to pronounce almost any given name in this. Welsh is not a very clear dialect, guys! Itís a good thing itís so easy to tell characters apart by their personalities because their names are no help!
Aaaand done. Got used to most of the names after a while, thankfully. Whole series did an excellent job of telling a coming of age story, focusing on Taran going from a dopey kid to a somber dude (though, unfortunately, too somber for the goofy companions to mitigate) through the course of four books, and with the fifth the author said ďOh, right... the villain... he hasnít actually... done anything through this whole series. Might want to do something there...Ē

And whatís with mid-century fantasy series always ending with every single character metaphorically dying and ascending to heaven? With Lord of the Rings Iím willing to give it a pass because there were, like, eight different endings there and you could choose your favorite. But it seems to happen often enough that everyone must have thought ďSo the entire cast volunteered to perishĒ is a perfect finale.

Anyway, I enjoyed the series, though a little less as it wore on, and am lead to understand that because I enjoyed the series I should avoid the movie at all costs. I doubt the visuals would live up to my imagination anyway.

Anyway, Iíve had enough sweeping epic fantasy for the moment. Think Iíll go for publisher fanfiction; The Hound of the DíUrbervilles
Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
why
It's book crack. With the exception of The Lost Symbol, most of the Langdon books have been pretty fun to read

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book