The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 10-28-2008, 11:20 AM
A No.1

Default The Metal Thread \m/

We had one of these on the last Talking Time, but it's time to renew the thread for talking about the most kick-ass music in the world.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:23 AM
A tasty beverage

There are so many types of metal...aghhh

My favorite band is Primus. They're funk metal...and thus a type of metal.
I think they're...you know...Primus sucks.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:27 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Albums I've Picked Up Recently
Death Magnetic - Metallica
I think this band needs no introduction, and we've discussed the album plenty around here.

将軍 (Shogun) - Trivium
A band on the fringe of hardcore and heavy metal, Trivium mixes growly/screaming vocals with melodic interludes.

Album I'm Buying Today

Deadache - Lordi
Finnish monster metal band Lordi's fourth studio album. I honestly didn't even know it was coming out today until I randomly searched for them on that MTV music video site that was linked to today.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Level 10 Roustabout/Knave

I like grindcore...

I'll see myself out, thank you.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Inscaper

Grindcore tried to destroy the metal. But it was Cast to the ground!!

You can't kill the metal!

In all honesty I'm not as much of a hesher as I used to be. I'll still go to the occasional show, but I really only ever listen to Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, System Of A Down and Rob Zombie.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Nonplussed

I didn't really like the last Trivium album and the video I saw from the new one didn't convince me to pick it up.

Yesterday I picked up the following:
The March - Unearth: Not bad so far, but there's no "Giles" here that I've yet heard
Versus - The Haunted: Seems better than The Dead Eye, but maybe not as good as rEVOLVEr
angL - Ihsahn: I'm not generally a fan of Black Metal, but comments I'd seen about this one and some song snippets I checked out convinced me to give it a try.

Later this week I'll be getting the latest release from Enslaved (Vertebrae).
Old 10-28-2008, 12:33 PM

Sometimes I listen to death metal and progressive metal. Now... I don't know.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
I didn't really like the last Trivium album and the video I saw from the new one didn't convince me to pick it up.
I liked their album before last a lot more than The Crusade. This one is definitely closer to that, but not quite there, in my opinion.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:53 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead Junkie View Post
I'll still go to the occasional show, but I really only ever listen to Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, System Of A Down and Rob Zombie.
Rob Zombie is metal? Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, his music just never struck me as such. Maybe I just fail at musical differentiation.

Anyways, zombie aside, I listen to a fair deal of Metallica, Hoods, Mastodon, Dethklok and AC/DC. Does AC/DC count? I'm a punk first and foremost, so my knowledge of metal is rudimentary at best.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:53 PM
For blood and gold

Pffft, metal.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
I liked their album before last a lot more than The Crusade. This one is definitely closer to that, but not quite there, in my opinion.
Now that I've checked the name, I can say that we agree on Ascendancy. Stuff like "A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation", "Ascendancy", and "The Deceived" were definitely better than what I found on The Crusade.

By the way, can we bypass the taxonomy bullshit here? I'm happy to talk about whatever aggressive music people want to here without going down a rathole as to whether this or that is "True Metal (tm)" or not.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Banned

Matchstick has the right idea. I haven't listened to much metal since '94 or so, and all these new distinctions mean nothing to me. What I want to know is:

1) Is it really, really heavy?
2) Is it good music?

That's pretty much what I want out of metal.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:45 PM
I like Starman.

I like metal, mainly in such forms as Metallica, Megadeth, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, and I also like what most consider to be "hard" hard rock like AC/DC. My biggest problem with metal is that I really don't like bands that featuring a ton of screaming in their songs. An occasional roar or scream is ok, but whole songs filled with screamed out words don't do anything for me. In the end this gives me problems with most modern metal and I tend to stick to the 70s and 80s versions of metal with bands such as Blue Oyster Cult, Zepplin, and Def Leppard which are to most modern metal listeners strictly un-metal.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:48 PM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bungle700 View Post
Matchstick has the right idea. I haven't listened to much metal since '94 or so, and all these new distinctions mean nothing to me. What I want to know is:

1) Is it really, really heavy?
2) Is it good music?

That's pretty much what I want out of metal.
This is the #1 rule in my Metal thread. I don't like all of the bands mentioned, but damn if I'm going to bother trying to categorize them. If you think it's metal, you may mention it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Awesome View Post
I like grindcore...

I'll see myself out, thank you.
If you mean something like, say, Aborted, then you are welcome here, sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead Junkie View Post
Rob Zombie.
Rob Zombie makes me sad, because he seems like he has really, really awesome taste in music and movies, but hadn't been able to translate that over to making anything good (the sole exception I can think of being The Devil's Rejects).

I'd bet I'd be the same way, though; I love metal, but just because I do doesn't mean I'd be able to write any.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:49 PM
A No.1

Also: I would definitely classify AC/DC as "hard rock" (or, as I like to put it, "dudes playin' fuckin' rock 'n' roll"), but not metal. They still rule, and I'm totally up for discussing them anyway.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:58 PM
I like Starman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
Also: I would definitely classify AC/DC as "hard rock" (or, as I like to put it, "dudes playin' fuckin' rock 'n' roll"), but not metal. They still rule, and I'm totally up for discussing them anyway.
With that being said then....what do people think of the new album?
Old 10-28-2008, 02:01 PM

I still haven't heard it because I was waiting on some impressions of it first. :/
Old 10-28-2008, 02:06 PM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholai View Post
With that being said then....what do people think of the new album?
I haven't heard all of it yet, but it's...y'know, AC/DC. I tend to agree with the "AC/DC was way better with Bon Scott" sentiment, so I probably wouldn't love it anyway, but it seems to me that AC/DC never really put out an awful record, just...the same record. All of their releases sound very similar, and this one is no different. I guess it's one of those gift/curse things.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:10 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
I like metal, mainly in such forms as Metallica, Megadeth, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, and I also like what most consider to be "hard" hard rock like AC/DC. My biggest problem with metal is that I really don't like bands that featuring a ton of screaming in their songs. An occasional roar or scream is ok, but whole songs filled with screamed out words don't do anything for me. In the end this gives me problems with most modern metal and I tend to stick to the 70s and 80s versions of metal with bands such as Blue Oyster Cult, Zepplin, and Def Leppard which are to most modern metal listeners strictly un-metal.
A-buuuhhhhhhhh?

Hard rock, sir! I don't know if Blue Oyster Cult even counts as that. I mean, I don't mean to get too hard into taxonomy here, but I think if we rummaged around for a common definition of Metal, we'd be hard-pressed to apply it to Zeppelin.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:20 PM
I like Starman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
I haven't heard all of it yet, but it's...y'know, AC/DC. I tend to agree with the "AC/DC was way better with Bon Scott" sentiment, so I probably wouldn't love it anyway, but it seems to me that AC/DC never really put out an awful record, just...the same record. All of their releases sound very similar, and this one is no different. I guess it's one of those gift/curse things.
I probably should have posted my impressions on my previous post, but I'll do it now. I think it is the best they've done since The Razor's Edge, but that isn't saying much. While I don't agree that AC/DC was better with Scott, though they certainly were quite good and I do love Highway to Hell, I'm one of those people who think that Back in Black is one of the finest pure "rock" albums out there. The few tracks I've heard off the new record are good, but I haven't heard the whole thing yet. It reminds me of Death Magnetic in that it seems the band is hitting on what made them great.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:26 PM

I like Decapitated. Best drummer ever, may he rest in peace.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:26 PM
A No.1

Let There Be Rock is my favorite AC/DC album, if that means anything. I think it's the best collection of "dudes playin' fuckin' rock 'n' roll" that they've produced.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:27 PM
I like Starman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
A-buuuhhhhhhhh?

Hard rock, sir! I don't know if Blue Oyster Cult even counts as that. I mean, I don't mean to get too hard into taxonomy here, but I think if we rummaged around for a common definition of Metal, we'd be hard-pressed to apply it to Zeppelin.
A lot of taxonomies (although I won't fight you too much as I do agree most people now don't agree with these) have both these bands as metal and many point to Zeppelin as one of the main starting points of metal. A friend of mine was amazed when his professor in a music class discussed Zeppelin as the precursor, but the professor hit on something that did strike my friend and that is that many bands in that era had sounds that could be radically different from song to song or from album to album and while much of Zeppelin may not be metal there is definitely the beginnings of metal there. Most people prefer to place bands such as Black Sabbath and Deep Purple as the starters because their sound is a much more consistent "heavy" sound.

In other words as some would argue bands such as Led Zeppelin are hard to categorize and influence several genres because unlike (say AC/DC as Calorie Mate said) their sound varied greatly from one album to the next.

Edit: Enough with the taxonomy though as I don't particularly care about putting things in their respective genres (movies are often even worse).
Old 10-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
While I don't agree that AC/DC was better with Scott, though they certainly were quite good and I do love Highway to Hell, I'm one of those people who think that Back in Black is one of the finest pure "rock" albums out there.
But would you say that any of the Johnson era stuff comes anywhere close to Back in Black? I usually say "I love the Bon Scott stuff plus Back in Black".

Re: grindcore - at this point, I invoke Godwin's law and say join in the discussion.

Re: vocals - that's a big sticking point for a lot of people. I can totally understand people that can't abide a band because of their vocal stylings, especially since it's a major sticking point for me as well. I will admit, though, that the differentiations can be slippery. I used to say I hated death metal because of the vocal approach, but I've grown to enjoy some bands that would have been put in that bucket before. I can't even claim that it's an issue of whether the vocals are intelligible or not, because with a lot of the bands I enjoy, I barely pay attention to what the lyrics are, and if I did, I probably couldn't understand them anyway.

Those caveats aside, I find the extremely low cookie monster style (cf: Cattle Decapitation - who I wish I could enjoy, because a band filled with militant vegetarians grunting about cows taking revenge is hilarious) or the screechy black metal style both pretty much unlistenable.

The other thing that will disqualify a band for me is if they play too fast. Let me clarify that, though. I enjoy fast songs, but a lot of metal that came out starting in the 90s and continuing today is played so fast and recorded so poorly that I think it loses all impact. What I enjoy about metal is the rhythm and the impact of the riffs. Songs like "Ride the Lightning", "Piece by Piece", "Refuse/Resist", and "My Last Words" have this in spades. There's a sense of space and syncopation that is lost in something like the Cattle Decapitation song I linked above. Couple what is essentially just 16th notes played at 300bpm while the guitarist moves up and down the neck with irritatingly low-fi production that is all mids and no bottom and you have a recipe for me reaching for the eject button.

I believe hard rock should be fair game here and that Zeppelin is grandfathered in as proto-metal.

Last edited by Matchstick; 10-28-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:57 PM
These Stars Are Monsters

I think metal is one of the very few genres of music I'm not much into. I have a little, I guess. I do like Dream Theater on occasion, though I wouldn't be surprised if metalheads scoff at them for not being hardcore enough or something.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:37 PM
I like Starman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
But would you say that any of the Johnson era stuff comes anywhere close to Back in Black? I usually say "I love the Bon Scott stuff plus Back in Black".
Not usually. There are a few non-Back in Black songs I enjoy such as "Who Made Who" and such, but largely it isn't as good as the Scott stuff. I still prefer Back in Black to the earlier stuff.

In terms of vocal styles I just can't abide by endless screaming. There are a ton of bands that people I know enjoy which I simply can't listen to because after a few good riffs and a smashing guitar solo there is some screaming unintelligible stuff I can't understand. I don't ask for lyrical wonders in my metal/hard rock, but I'd at least like to understand what they're saying otherwise I'd have preferred an instrumental piece.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

I heart Devin Townsend. I don't listen to a whole lot of metal these days, but I can always listen to Devin Townsend.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:09 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

the new Dir en grey album comes out exactly two weeks from today (simultaneously US-Japan release, no less)! I preordered it! it was nice to spend $15 on a new album by a Japanese band instead of $30-$40, and this really shitty quality radio rip of one of the new songs has me optimistic.

also MUCC's goddamned great album Shion is finally coming to the US on November 25th, eight months after the Japanese release. (well, it's been available in the iTunes store since then, but that's not real music.) seriously you guys this is a really really good album, you should maybe buy it.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:25 PM
PROF. VIDEO GAMES, PHD.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the PURE METAL of Mastodon yet? Their drummer is the most metal of metal drummers. But beyond that I'm mostly into the "classic metal" of the 1980s and early 1990s. Metal these days! I just don't understand those kids.

Also am I going to be ostracized for liking Napalm Death? Come on guys, Scum is a really good album.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:26 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopinks View Post
the new Dir en grey album comes out exactly two weeks from today (simultaneously US-Japan release, no less)! I preordered it! it was nice to spend $15 on a new album by a Japanese band instead of $30-$40, and this really shitty quality radio rip of one of the new songs has me optimistic.

also MUCC's goddamned great album Shion is finally coming to the US on November 25th, eight months after the Japanese release. (well, it's been available in the iTunes store since then, but that's not real music.) seriously you guys this is a really really good album, you should maybe buy it.
you should come to california and see DEG in concert with me.

Tags
koЯnsyrup , music , \m/