The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-09-2017, 06:55 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
The hell? What did you do to grind levels?
I actually just explained my strategy to someone over discord, so lemme just copy that over.

[8:35 PM] aturtledoesbite: first, you have to be able to run down to B3F, surviving until you can pick up the Dragon armor
[8:35 PM] aturtledoesbite: you stick those on cecil
[8:35 PM] aturtledoesbite: then you run back up to B1F
[8:35 PM] aturtledoesbite: revive kain if needed, save your game, then look for a Warlock x1 battle
[8:36 PM] aturtledoesbite: Cecil's first action should be to cast Mute
[8:36 PM] aturtledoesbite: you have to pray 1) that the warlock's opening attack doesn't kill kain
[8:36 PM] aturtledoesbite: and 2) that the follow-up Death does hit kain
[8:37 PM] aturtledoesbite: a warlock alone alternates between Fight and Death
[8:37 PM] aturtledoesbite: There's no surviving Death
[8:38 PM] aturtledoesbite: Cecil with the Dragon armor in the back row is taking 1 damage from most physicals
[8:38 PM] aturtledoesbite: so at that point, with Death muted and Fight effectively neutered
[8:38 PM] aturtledoesbite: you can slowly chip away at the warlock, ~20 damage at a time
[8:39 PM] aturtledoesbite: RedGiant enemies are also fine, since all they do is Fight, and that's just 1 damage to Cecil
[8:39 PM] aturtledoesbite: (Kain is presumed to not survive to get EXP)
[8:40 PM] aturtledoesbite: eventually, once cecil's fast enough to get mute off before warlocks can take two turns
[8:40 PM] aturtledoesbite: you can punch a bit higher, with the warlock+kary encounters
[8:41 PM] aturtledoesbite: eventually; the dragon armor neuters Pale Dim, which lets you earn the Hades Plate off him
[8:41 PM] aturtledoesbite: so you can put that on cecil and give kain the dragon plate
[8:42 PM] aturtledoesbite: you'll want to dive deep for the Dragon Lance before too long; i don't recall off-hand what encounter that chest is trapped with, maybe a behemoth?
[8:42 PM] aturtledoesbite: behemoths are pretty easy if you stay to the back row
[8:43 PM] aturtledoesbite: the most i ever saw one punch cecil for was ~50 damage, but the grand majority hit for 1
[8:44 PM] aturtledoesbite: once kain can survive a fight to get exp, it won't be very long before he's jumping dragons for 9999
[8:45 PM] aturtledoesbite: if all else fails in keeping kain alive, cecil picks up Death at level 48
[8:45 PM] aturtledoesbite: Silver D.s and Gold D.s are both susceptible, as are Warlocks, Trickers, and FatalEyes
[8:46 PM] aturtledoesbite: eventually once you get a decent hp buffer (4000+ on Cecil, about 2000 on Kain), you want to bring a couple of Elixirs with you and go fight the D. Lunars
[8:46 PM] aturtledoesbite: After you poke them, they cast Reflect on themselves, then start bouncing Ice 3s off each other
[8:47 PM] aturtledoesbite: If you survive four volleys, Reflect will wear off
[8:47 PM] aturtledoesbite: and they will happily Ice 3 each other to death
[8:47 PM] aturtledoesbite: (though you'll need to finish off the one that survives, of course)
[8:47 PM] aturtledoesbite: with that, you get the Ribbons, so go ahead and clean up Plague next door
[8:47 PM] aturtledoesbite: who can't touch you
[8:48 PM] aturtledoesbite: this also gets you the hades gauntlet (from the D. Lunars), so you can put that on cecil and move the dragon gauntlet to kain
[8:48 PM] aturtledoesbite: After a bit more grinding, it's time to fight Wyvern
[8:49 PM] aturtledoesbite: Kain will almost certainly die to the opening Megaflare
[8:49 PM] aturtledoesbite: that's fine, just pick him up with a phoenix down and x-potion him
[8:49 PM] aturtledoesbite: you only need to get off three Jumps
[8:49 PM] aturtledoesbite: if cecil has dispel at this point, hit Wyvern with it when he tries to put up reflect, then laugh as he flares himself
[8:50 PM] aturtledoesbite: once you kill him, you get the Deathbringer for Cecil, which is his very first weapon upgrade from the Shadow blade from the start of the game
[8:50 PM] aturtledoesbite: unless you were lucky with an icebrand or flame sword drop from blue/red d.s
[8:51 PM] aturtledoesbite: at this point, you can just murder everything
[8:51 PM] aturtledoesbite: pick up the hades shield from ogopogo and move the dragon shield over to kain, and now both should have their full set of gear, except with ribbons instead of headgear
[8:52 PM] aturtledoesbite: from there, it's a short jog to zeromus
[8:52 PM] aturtledoesbite: have cecil berserk himself
[8:52 PM] aturtledoesbite: kain timing his jumps over the big bangs, popping elixirs on cecil when needed
[8:52 PM] aturtledoesbite: and that's pretty much it
Old 10-09-2017, 09:35 PM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

I beat every level of Rondo of Blood as Richter. Then I went back again and beat it all with Maria but without using any continues. This is the first time I've played it all the way through without lots of savescumming and relying too much on Maria. On revisiting the game, it's clear that Maria is quite broken. And also that the clock tower especially could be the length of two levels if not for the lack of a boss in-between them, which is funny because the game right before that throws 5 bosses in a row at you.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:59 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Bayonetta 2 is indeed an improvement in every respect over Bayonetta. There's no cheap QTEs during the cinematics, I swear the witch time trigger is more generous, there's fewer variant control segments (and for once no Punch-Out segment), and you start with most of the abilities Bayonetta doles out. The story is still surprisingly sweet.

Plus you get to beat up angels in a gigantic witch-mech.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:11 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
I actually just explained my strategy to someone over discord, so lemme just copy that over.

[8:35 PM] aturtledoesbite: first, you have to be able to run down to B3F, surviving until you can pick up the Dragon armor
[8:35 PM] aturtledoesbite: you stick those on cecil
[8:35 PM] aturtledoesbite: then you run back up to B1F
[8:35 PM] aturtledoesbite: revive kain if needed, save your game, then look for a Warlock x1 battle
[8:36 PM] aturtledoesbite: Cecil's first action should be to cast Mute
[8:36 PM] aturtledoesbite: you have to pray 1) that the warlock's opening attack doesn't kill kain
[8:36 PM] aturtledoesbite: and 2) that the follow-up Death does hit kain
[8:37 PM] aturtledoesbite: a warlock alone alternates between Fight and Death
[8:37 PM] aturtledoesbite: There's no surviving Death
[8:38 PM] aturtledoesbite: Cecil with the Dragon armor in the back row is taking 1 damage from most physicals
[8:38 PM] aturtledoesbite: so at that point, with Death muted and Fight effectively neutered
[8:38 PM] aturtledoesbite: you can slowly chip away at the warlock, ~20 damage at a time
[8:39 PM] aturtledoesbite: RedGiant enemies are also fine, since all they do is Fight, and that's just 1 damage to Cecil
[8:39 PM] aturtledoesbite: (Kain is presumed to not survive to get EXP)
[8:40 PM] aturtledoesbite: eventually, once cecil's fast enough to get mute off before warlocks can take two turns
[8:40 PM] aturtledoesbite: you can punch a bit higher, with the warlock+kary encounters
[8:41 PM] aturtledoesbite: eventually; the dragon armor neuters Pale Dim, which lets you earn the Hades Plate off him
[8:41 PM] aturtledoesbite: so you can put that on cecil and give kain the dragon plate
[8:42 PM] aturtledoesbite: you'll want to dive deep for the Dragon Lance before too long; i don't recall off-hand what encounter that chest is trapped with, maybe a behemoth?
[8:42 PM] aturtledoesbite: behemoths are pretty easy if you stay to the back row
[8:43 PM] aturtledoesbite: the most i ever saw one punch cecil for was ~50 damage, but the grand majority hit for 1
[8:44 PM] aturtledoesbite: once kain can survive a fight to get exp, it won't be very long before he's jumping dragons for 9999
[8:45 PM] aturtledoesbite: if all else fails in keeping kain alive, cecil picks up Death at level 48
[8:45 PM] aturtledoesbite: Silver D.s and Gold D.s are both susceptible, as are Warlocks, Trickers, and FatalEyes
[8:46 PM] aturtledoesbite: eventually once you get a decent hp buffer (4000+ on Cecil, about 2000 on Kain), you want to bring a couple of Elixirs with you and go fight the D. Lunars
[8:46 PM] aturtledoesbite: After you poke them, they cast Reflect on themselves, then start bouncing Ice 3s off each other
[8:47 PM] aturtledoesbite: If you survive four volleys, Reflect will wear off
[8:47 PM] aturtledoesbite: and they will happily Ice 3 each other to death
[8:47 PM] aturtledoesbite: (though you'll need to finish off the one that survives, of course)
[8:47 PM] aturtledoesbite: with that, you get the Ribbons, so go ahead and clean up Plague next door
[8:47 PM] aturtledoesbite: who can't touch you
[8:48 PM] aturtledoesbite: this also gets you the hades gauntlet (from the D. Lunars), so you can put that on cecil and move the dragon gauntlet to kain
[8:48 PM] aturtledoesbite: After a bit more grinding, it's time to fight Wyvern
[8:49 PM] aturtledoesbite: Kain will almost certainly die to the opening Megaflare
[8:49 PM] aturtledoesbite: that's fine, just pick him up with a phoenix down and x-potion him
[8:49 PM] aturtledoesbite: you only need to get off three Jumps
[8:49 PM] aturtledoesbite: if cecil has dispel at this point, hit Wyvern with it when he tries to put up reflect, then laugh as he flares himself
[8:50 PM] aturtledoesbite: once you kill him, you get the Deathbringer for Cecil, which is his very first weapon upgrade from the Shadow blade from the start of the game
[8:50 PM] aturtledoesbite: unless you were lucky with an icebrand or flame sword drop from blue/red d.s
[8:51 PM] aturtledoesbite: at this point, you can just murder everything
[8:51 PM] aturtledoesbite: pick up the hades shield from ogopogo and move the dragon shield over to kain, and now both should have their full set of gear, except with ribbons instead of headgear
[8:52 PM] aturtledoesbite: from there, it's a short jog to zeromus
[8:52 PM] aturtledoesbite: have cecil berserk himself
[8:52 PM] aturtledoesbite: kain timing his jumps over the big bangs, popping elixirs on cecil when needed
[8:52 PM] aturtledoesbite: and that's pretty much it
This is really cool and impressive. How much game time did it take (I assume you were fast-forwarding through most of it)?
Old 10-10-2017, 04:33 AM
one zero zero one SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Bayonetta 2 is indeed an improvement in every respect over Bayonetta. There's no cheap QTEs during the cinematics, I swear the witch time trigger is more generous, there's fewer variant control segments (and for once no Punch-Out segment), and you start with most of the abilities Bayonetta doles out. The story is still surprisingly sweet.

Plus you get to beat up angels in a gigantic witch-mech.
I thought it was better in pretty much every way too. I played the pack-in version of Bayonetta 1 and, while still a very good game, made me excited to get back into the better flowing and much prettier Bayo 2.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:20 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Well, its October, the ghosts are washing their bedsheets and the witches are polishing their warts, and that means its time for me to replay the Gargoyles Quest series.

And since the first one is super short, that means I beat Gargoyles Quest in one sitting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Gargoyles Quest 2 is twice the game, so it took two sittings.

Both games end with Firebrand being given dominion over the Earth after having saved Hell from Breager and his army. I don't know exactly how he went about losing control each time. Speaking from personal experience, no human being has the skill needed to beat him.
And one sitting for Demons Crest as well.

Went for the Middle Ending, where Phalanx winds up convinced he's going to lose so, instead of using the Demons Crest to transform into a more appropriately final-bossy form, he uses its power to kill himself and deny Firebrand a victory. Firebrand, in turns, scatters the Demons Crests around hell, hoping some other demon will find them and become strong enough to give him a challenge, because whupping the tar out of someone as tough as Phalanx was super-fun.

I love Firebrand.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:48 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyonion View Post
I thought it was better in pretty much every way too. I played the pack-in version of Bayonetta 1 and, while still a very good game, made me excited to get back into the better flowing and much prettier Bayo 2.
I did the same; while I love Platinum Games, Bayonetta had a lot of rough edges, even compared to something really experimental like the Wonderful 101. Bayo 2 had better moment-to-moment gameplay and better structure.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
This is really cool and impressive. How much game time did it take (I assume you were fast-forwarding through most of it)?
I ended with around 18 or 19 hours on the game clock. I don't think Kain gained a single level past 16 (the level he entered with) until after 14 hours.

EDIT: wait duh I took a pre-Zeromus screenshot

Will be a little big.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:32 PM
#deadfish2017

Amazing. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2017, 06:04 PM
An Animal of Joy

Wow, not much faster than playing through the game normally, that's amazing.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
Wow, not much faster than playing through the game normally, that's amazing.
yeah pretty much

jbear mentioned wanting to read an lp of it, and honestly, i'm considering going for it
Old 10-10-2017, 08:17 PM
It's all good, man

Resident Evil 7 is the best Resident Evil since Resident Evil 4!
Old 10-10-2017, 09:46 PM
Life depends on change

Quote:
yeah pretty much

jbear mentioned wanting to read an lp of it, and honestly, i'm considering going for it
I would like to read this, too, even if you already hit the highlights
Old 10-10-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
I would like to read this, too, even if you already hit the highlights
oh man

i haven't even gotten started at some of the weird things the hack does

okay then! no promises it'll get updated often, but i could totally start on it.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:59 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Digimon Links! As everyone knows, you beat a Digimon game when you have Metal Greymon. Everything else is just post-game content. Much to my surprise, Digimon Links gave me a Metal Greymon for completing its third fight. Warehouse Server restored and my job complete, I happily uninstalled the game.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:47 PM

So, continuing in the vein of romhacks, about six days ago, a new hack for Chrono Trigger, called Chrono Trigger +, was released.

it's not very good

here is about 70% of what's changed

the rest is bad fanfic

that said, the base game is there in its entirety, so much like the DS version, the additions can be safely ignored
Old 10-12-2017, 01:48 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Mmm, yes, look at those cut-off and not properly matching tiles.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:53 PM
#deadfish2017

I like the half-assed dome base around the castle.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:56 PM

YUP

every added line of dialogue doesn't understand what 'punctuation' is

i didn't take screenshots...wait, no. i took a picture of this.

guys referencing real-world events is so great you guys

at least they'll get a lavos real soon and won't have to deal with the aftermath~
Old 10-13-2017, 03:10 PM
Video Monster

Cave Story + (good ending) is DOWN. Yes, in the decade or more since I first played Cave Story, I'd never gotten past Hell, and doing it for the first time ever today felt AWESOME.

Especially unloading all my missiles into Ballos' face and watching his life bar drain like water.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:51 PM

Man, the Hell run in Cave Story is brutal. I banged my head on that particular wall for quite a bit when it came out on WiiWare. I kinda wish I'd done the normal route to some degree; if I ever revisit it, that's what I'll do.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:54 PM
Life depends on change

Wow, that Chrono Trigger hack, jfc

Glad you played it so I didn't have to, turtle
Old 10-13-2017, 04:03 PM
Gesundheit!

I always thought the one extra thing Chrono Trigger needed was sprawl.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:06 PM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Man, the Hell run in Cave Story is brutal. I banged my head on that particular wall for quite a bit when it came out on WiiWare. I kinda wish I'd done the normal route to some degree; if I ever revisit it, that's what I'll do.
My heart rate was thunderous there at the end. I'm glad I learned the trick for Ballos' final form, because I think my shaky hands would have saddled me with another 5-10 runs through the whole thing otherwise.

Still, I had several no-damage runs through the stage a couple times, at least up until Heavy Press, so I felt good about that.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:11 PM

Yeah, I think I'd repeated it enough times that I had, maybe not no-damage runs, but near to it. It's been quite a while, though. That final boss, though... yeah, to say I had the jitters each and every time was an understatement. I almost did it without the trick you're referencing, but the boss got me with just a sliver of health left. I was a mess at that point, so I decided to go see if there was a better way, and ended up cheesing my way out of it.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
oh man

i haven't even gotten started at some of the weird things the hack does

okay then! no promises it'll get updated often, but i could totally start on it.
Oh, just reading all this stuff about the FFIV hack and it sounds really neat. I would read a Let's Play.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:17 AM
It's all good, man

Night in the Woods is one of my favorite games this year.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:49 AM

Castlevania 64 is an imaginative and extremely fun game. I wish more games took cues from the combat, which works really well and has tons of depth within its simplicity. It does have some hiccups but at least there is Magic Nitro to help soothe my wounds.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:49 AM
The metal babble flees!

"Beating" is an odd way to describe it, but I've finished Gone Home. Nice little thing. Talking about it with my brother, it seems I missed a story element or two, but as usual with this kind of game I'm content with my experience and not inclined to go back to pare it down to the core.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:03 PM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
Castlevania 64 is an imaginative and extremely fun game. I wish more games took cues from the combat, which works really well and has tons of depth within its simplicity. It does have some hiccups but at least there is Magic Nitro to help soothe my wounds.
One of us!

Tags
a winner is you , backloggery , beat it , completed games , congraturation , fear of new threads , go and rest our heroes , hoooooraaayyy for you! , i've wasted my life , true end , victory cry , you feel strongth welling , you got the touch , you're the best around , you're winner