The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-12-2017, 04:55 PM

Default Can't Get Enough of That Psycho Break: The Evil Within 2

So hey, Bethesda's idea of promoting this game is releasing in October on Friday the 13th, not exactly stellar but it's their money to burn. Early impressions (what few there are, thanks for that too Bethsoft) seem to indicate it's a marked improvement on the interesting but uneven original. Anyone taking a shot on this one? RE7 was great, but more attempts to iterate on the RE4 formula are always welcome in my mind.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:26 PM
120 Days

I loved pt1, so Iíll get this sometime. Broke af and busy these days so itíll have to wait!
Old 10-13-2017, 02:31 AM

Wow I had no idea this was coming out this year, much less... TODAY?! Probably won't be picking it up for a bit. The first one was good enough that I'll definitely give it a shot though. All I really want to be improved is for the camera to be farther behind the character. I might even be okay with letterboxing if they did that much.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:46 AM
Outer Spacean

I've been watching a LPer play it, and from what I've seen it's a marked improvement in every way. I didn't care much for the original, but this one is actually catching my interest. If you wanna get an idea of how the sequel works without a bunch of spoilers (there will be a few as it's from the third chapter and the two hosts recap some of the narrative up to that point), here's a vid from Polygon that's pretty solid.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:25 AM
It's all good, man

I ordered it after the early impressions were better than I expected. The Evil Within was very close to being a good game, so when people are saying the sequel improves on basically everything they got wrong before, it grabs my attention.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:13 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

I loved the original so I'm a bit concerned that the changes made to this one will ultimately harm the esoteric experience that TEW offered. Still gonna do some trading in tomorrow and try to pick up the sequel with credit.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:09 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I loved the original so I'm a bit concerned that the changes made to this one will ultimately harm the esoteric experience that TEW offered. Still gonna do some trading in tomorrow and try to pick up the sequel with credit.
AGreed - I liked how theme was reflected in stage design and progression. Walking through someone's memory and horror, then eventually just living out your own (false) power fantasy. It's incredible, really.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:05 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Traded in a bunch of shit, as I threatened to, and have ordered a copy of this. Excited to see how it turned out.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:42 PM

Played a few hours tonight, some quick notes.

Matches are gone, but otherwise the game is balanced fairly similarly, Sebastian just can't hold terribly much so you have to pick approaches and battles.

The open environment means there's side quests now, some have had weapons as prizes which means a determined player can be kitted out much faster than TEW1. Union as an environment doesn't feel terribly large, but it does feel dense with things to find and interesting setups for combat and stealth scenarios.

They've attempted to write a story that has a bit more of an emotional throughline, but Sebastian has still shown a remarkable capacity to completely deadpan at some pretty fucked up stuff ("Tough luck Ryan") so I guess that was absolutely intended. Mostly it's just generic, but it seems less like sleepwalking through a Silent Hill fanfiction so onthe whole It's better so far.

Game is still, on standard, a cut above most games in the genre in terms of difficulty, even though the game advises Nightmare as the difficulty for people that liked how tough TEW1 was. I've noticed some.. questionable checkpoint placement, but it might also be just that I've been playing too risky. There are some concessions to kindness, some save points have coffee pots nearby that offer a full health restore, it seems to take some time before you can drink more coffee but it isn't seemingly based on any sort of story progress, so if you get desperate and wander back you might find a full heal waiting.

Overall it feels like a general improvement on the first and like it has a bit more identity, am digging it.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:06 PM

You can get multiple weapons of the same type, upgrades apply to the type and not the individual weapon, nice.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:13 AM
It's all good, man

I explored in chapter three for a couple hours last night. I'm on the middle difficulty, and I'm having more trouble that I did in the early going of the first game. All the tools are there for a fun action horror game, I just wasn't having a very good time doing it yet. I think Sebastian might be too weak to start off - having skill trees is fine, but without a baseline of competence it's frustrating. He goes down in a few hits, the weapon aiming is loose, and it's tough to reliably get stealth kills if there's more than one enemy around.

Tags
horror games , shinji mikami