The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-11-2017, 11:56 AM
whatever it takes

Default Game Boy Classic, maybe

Game Boy Classic, maybe:

Nintendo Just Registered A New Game Boy Trademark In Japan

This got me thinking about other possible Classic editions of Nintendo consoles, and while it's unlikely to ever become a reality I am suddenly overwhelmed at the thought of how adorable a GameCube Classic Edition would be

*bites trembling lip, eyes welling with tears* that tiny handle...!
Old 10-11-2017, 12:11 PM
Life depends on change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
Game Boy Classic, maybe:

This got me thinking about other possible Classic editions of Nintendo consoles, and while it's unlikely to ever become a reality I am suddenly overwhelmed at the thought of how adorable a GameCube Classic Edition would be

I want a Gamecube Classic as much as I wanted the SNES Classic, so I'll be there day 1 if they ever make one. Love that console.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:17 PM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

A game boy classic is an interesting idea but maybe of the bunch of these the ones I'd be most...suspicious of? Like in the sense that with GB/GBC/SGB stuff it can be a real matter of taste what the definitive means of playing a game is. DK94 is a Super Game Boy game. Metroid II is excellent on a GB Color. Pokemon Red and Blue don't have their SGB palettes in GBC mode but Pokemon Yellow does. And all of them are just plain ol' green or gray on the 3DS.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:22 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
Game Boy Classic, maybe:

Assuming the Game Boy Classic is really happening, I hope that Nintendo can temporarily get the rights to publish the Game Boy Tetris again. They'd be stupid not to have it.

Also hope we'll see some Square love. Like, get Final Fantasy Adventure and one or more of the Final Fantasy Legend games on there. They never made it to 3DS Virtual Console.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:25 PM
Mystery Contraption

I don’t think there’s anything that they could put on a Gameboy Classic that I don’t already have on my 3DS...

Mmmmmmaybe Operation C, Ghost Babel and Belmont’s Revenge.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:33 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
A game boy classic is an interesting idea but maybe of the bunch of these the ones I'd be most...suspicious of? Like in the sense that with GB/GBC/SGB stuff it can be a real matter of taste what the definitive means of playing a game is. DK94 is a Super Game Boy game. Metroid II is excellent on a GB Color. Pokemon Red and Blue don't have their SGB palettes in GBC mode but Pokemon Yellow does. And all of them are just plain ol' green or gray on the 3DS.
Agreed. I don't mind the lack of options (too much) on the 3DS VC, but if they're going to release a standalone, lovingly-recreated system with a curated library, I'd want it all: SGB support, GBC palettes, the works.

Kind of curious how a GB Classic would even play out, though. Would it be a GB micro-sized console? I mean, I'd be down for that, but it certainly seems like it'd be a real niche product. Or maybe I underestimate Nintendo fans.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:33 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I would buy a GameBoy Classic for Metal Gear Solid (Ghost Babel) alone. Loved that damn game. I also wouldn't mind late-life NES ports like Crystalis and Shadowgate.

But if pie-in-the-sky is what we're doing, a GameBoy Advance Classic - probably too recent to be a classic? - would be a goddamn dream.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:34 PM

Ghost Babel is so good. I have very fond memories of burning through that at the end of my trip to Europe. (I bought it in London and played through most of it on the plane back.)
Old 10-11-2017, 12:37 PM
Come, noble knights!

It'd never happen, not when Mega Man V and Belmont's Revenge, a Castlevania that's crappier than all the NES games but still better than the garbage both preceding and succeeding it, exist, but I'd buy a Game Boy Classic with Metal Walker and Survival Kids on it. Assuming Game Boy Color support's included, of course.

The Game Boy Color may have been a dumping grounds for crappy licensed games, but there was also plenty of neat experimental stuff, like robot billiards RPGs and survival games before they were cool.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:41 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
I also wouldn't mind late-life NES ports like Crystalis
You monster.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:49 PM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

Also, if we put in stuff like Belmont's Revenge on here -- GBC version from the Europe-only Konami GB Collection?!
Old 10-11-2017, 01:29 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
I also wouldn't mind late-life NES ports like Crystalis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
You monster.
I'm with Destil on this. Crystalis on the Game Boy was nice in theory, but the liberties NST took with the script, the omission of the original soundtrack, and the expected resolution cuts make it a much lesser game than the classic NES experience.

Was nice they removed the "Enemies are invincible until you're X level" thing though, I'll say that.

Quote:
...and Shadowgate.
Totally cool with this, though. Shadowgate was basically "like NES but looks better" and the only real downside of the less resolution thing was a bit of screen scrolling when doing menu stuff.

Deja Vu 1 & 2 would be nice, too. Though they still sadly feature the NoA style censorship* from the NES localization of the Famicom adaptation, particularly syringes being changed to pills and the creepy skull Game Over screen being replaced with the post-reveal Ace Harding's tombstone.

* Deja Vu 2 wasn't on NES, but it had an adaptation in the works. Probably a safe bet the Game Boy Color version of 2 was based on it.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:58 PM
Life depends on change

Crystalis on Game Boy was the first time I was disappointed in a remake/reimagining, since I loved the game on NES as a kid and was thrilled to be able to play it portably. I remember mostly being fine with it until I got to the vampire boss, who I couldn't always see because THE FUCKING SCREEN SCROLLED rather than display the whole room on one screen.

God that port sucked.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:20 PM

I tried the GBC version out right after beating the NES version, and yeah, the changes are terrible. The story was worse, and the music was... well, let's just say out of place even if it wasn't entirely awful.

This is also one of those cases where emulation saved me some money. I had been looking forward to the remake, but after trying it, the game was a hard pass.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:23 PM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

I do enjoy the kinda upbeat overworld theme in the GBC version but overall yeah especially now that the average modern handheld device can play most NES games without breaking a sweat there's not a lot of reason to go with it over the NES version.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:59 PM
Life depends on change

I forgot they changed the music. The NES stuff is way better...

Anyway I beat Spikey in Secret of Mana, so I'm farther than I've ever been in it before. Really wish the AI wouldn't stand around and get hit so much, but I guess positioning these idiots is on me.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:29 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
I forgot they changed the music. The NES stuff is way better...

Anyway I beat Spikey in Secret of Mana, so I'm farther than I've ever been in it before. Really wish the AI wouldn't stand around and get hit so much, but I guess positioning these idiots is on me.
I always set the AI to approach/attack.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:47 PM
actually an eevee

I hope the gameboy classic has Mythri. I need those rock guitars
Old 10-11-2017, 09:02 PM
A smoothing criminal

Location: Somewhere between a rhetorical question and a punchline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Assuming the Game Boy Classic is really happening, I hope that Nintendo can temporarily get the rights to publish the Game Boy Tetris again. They'd be stupid not to have it.

Also hope we'll see some Square love. Like, get Final Fantasy Adventure and one or more of the Final Fantasy Legend games on there. They never made it to 3DS Virtual Console.
Yes to both of these.

Quote:
Belmont's Revenge, a Castlevania that's crappier than all the NES games but still better than the garbage both preceding and succeeding it,
Of course it won't match up to the first Castlevania or III, but I have qualms with the idea that Belmont's Revenge is worse than Simon's Quest. Aside from being nearly different genres and thus inapt for comparison, Simon's Quest (in its original localized release as included on the VC and in the NES Classic) halts your progress by being literally unintelligible during various portions of the game.

Anyways, I think using the Game Boy Pocket form factor would be pretty neat. There was even a version that was in the same grey color as the original GB, so they could just do something like that for a Classic version.

Also, it's definitely incredibly unlikely, but I'd love to see Power Quest on the thing. It's definitely one of the better implementations of a fighting game on a handheld with its leniency in reading inputs and that wacky RPG story mode they included. Restore points would also help a lot with not having to enter in a password to load your save every time.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:25 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

Link's Awakening is all I need.

It's all I've ever needed.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:53 PM
Life depends on change

If they do a Game Boy Classic, even if it plays color games, it will have the original gray brick form. I'll bet my SNES Classic on it.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:50 PM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

Probably, but it'll probably be closer to gb pocket / gb color size, I would imagine. I'm less excited about this than the NES/SNES classic unless it has TV out because I have one of those fancy backlit GBA models; maybe the selling point on the other two besides being scale models of the original hardware is that you can plug them into a modern TV without any hassle.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:01 AM
Armor Guardian

The thing is, if you make the GB Classic have both a screen and a TV out then by that point you'd basically have an 8-bit Switch.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:21 AM
Just bear with me

(cough) Game Boy Advance Classic (cough)
Old 10-12-2017, 02:29 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahamkara View Post
Of course it won't match up to the first Castlevania or III, but I have qualms with the idea that Belmont's Revenge is worse than Simon's Quest. Aside from being nearly different genres and thus inapt for comparison, Simon's Quest (in its original localized release as included on the VC and in the NES Classic) halts your progress by being literally unintelligible during various portions of the game.
Simon's Quest was flawed for sure, but I felt it was also a whole lot more interesting as a game. Like, it's a Proto Metroidvania that's got some killer art design and music. It'd be better if half the people didn't lie to you, of course.

Belmont's Revenge is better than the other Game Boy Castlevanias, but it never really felt like it found its own voice like Link's Awakening and the latter two Game Boy Mega Mans did.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:21 AM

Dang, ya’ll, October 1st this year was the ten year anniversary of Crystalis’ END DAY!
Old 10-12-2017, 05:46 AM
A smoothing criminal

Location: Somewhere between a rhetorical question and a punchline.

Quote:
Simon's Quest was flawed for sure, but I felt it was also a whole lot more interesting as a game. Like, it's a Proto Metroidvania that's got some killer art design and music. It'd be better if half the people didn't lie to you, of course.
I too felt that Simon's Quest was interesting and weird in a good defining way, but the way it's weird tends to affect its playability negatively, making it a lot clunkier and more bloated (especially when coming back to it). But then again, that's part of the jank of being effectively the prototype for the Metroidvania branch of the series, which also suffers from bouts of bloat that kills general gameplay flow and momentum at times.

And yes, the soundtrack is aces (The Silence of Daylight is so underrated). I just need to say that I'm incredibly sick of Bloody Tears. But that's mainly because the Castlevania teams at the time felt the need to shove it into nearly every other game after that.

Quote:
Belmont's Revenge is better than the other Game Boy Castlevanias, but it never really felt like it found its own voice like Link's Awakening and the latter two Game Boy Mega Mans did.
That seems like such a strange thing to say when a lot of what Belmont's Revenge does is uncharacteristic for Classicvania, moving away from the gothic influences of the previous games and going all in on a combination of progressive power metal and David Bowie-esque new wave synthpop soundscapes with appropriately themed floating castles to accompany them.

Alongside that, the game is mechanically concise in a way that makes each element more essential. Even with only two subweapons available, both are included specifically to address what your upgraded fire whip cannot. The axe nails those high angles and jumping targets while the holy water handles trapping, DPS, and eliminating enemies that respawn or explode. I haven't played the EU version, so I can't say how effective the cross is at its role in place of the holy water. Each of the early stages are crafted around testing your ability to effectively use these tools when they hand them to you. It's honestly very refreshing for a Classicvania to not intentionally hinder you with a bad subweapons like the knife or watch on a frequent basis.

The game also has a lot of vertically-oriented areas that play a lot more smoothly because of how they're meaningfully built around rope-climbing, which has far more flexibility in speed and mobility (i.e. fast sliding or jumping from rope to rope) and significantly fewer chances of wrong inputs that drop you to your death compared to stair-climbing. While both Adventure and Legends also featured rope-climbing, neither of them had any interesting stages built around it.

Plus, spikes don't kill you in one hit. It's amazing and does wonders for the level design accounting for that.

People might complain about the slowness of the game, but enemy behavior and platforming obstacles are all built around that. It's got a nice mellow feel and pace to go along with the soundtrack of the game.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:46 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
(cough) Game Boy Advance Classic (cough)
Oh that I’d be totally on board with.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:52 AM
Life depends on change

If they do a GBA Classic, please, please let it have the original form factor but with a backlight
Old 10-12-2017, 07:37 AM
I. Love. It.

I'm honestly not sure what a GB Classic would have to have to get me to bite, since I have nearly every classic GB game I could want on my 3DS, barring a few outliers like Final Fantasy Adventure/Legends II, and I don't know if they'd be enough to get me to bite.

But we'll see what they come up with, I guess?

Tags
game boy , nintendo