The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

View Poll Results: Just how much fuckery should we subject the game to?
Routing changes and/or combat changes (diff enemies, spells, AI, etc) 13 76.47%
Go all in and potentially add new dungeons with brand new content 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2017, 02:03 PM
Fuckin' Crystals, maaaaan

How so? There are plenty of NPCs that give you a thing and then poof. If we can have eight TITANs, why not DOOR REPAIR CHARGEs?

also GENDRID is a great idea, especially if we have Princess SARA teleport the LIGHT WARRIORs to the far end of PRAVOKA.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:28 PM
TARANTUL

Because those NPCs are giving you items. No NPC gives you gold.

Maybe you could reskin a chest as an NPC? Would still need to program it to have negative gold (if that works go with that, actually).

PIRATEx7, GENDRID, BRINN.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:28 PM
Set phasers to hug

Just have a Key Item called 20 RUPEES. There'll be a blocking NPC saying PAY ME FOR THE DOOR REPAIR CHARGE, and Brick'll find 20 RUPEES some time after that.

EDIT: If we want to be really trolly about this, the same dungeon where you find 20 RUPEES could also have things like 300 ZORKMIDS, 50 COINS, and so on. Everything but the 20 RUPEES would just be a gold amount that gets added to your money total. We'll see if he actually checks his Key Items.

Last edited by dtsund; 10-12-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:31 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsund View Post
Just have a Key Item called 20 RUPEES. There'll be a blocking NPC saying PAY ME FOR THE DOOR REPAIR CHARGE, and Brick'll find 20 RUPEES some time after that.

EDIT: If we want to be really trolly about this, the same dungeon where you find 20 RUPEES could also have things like 300 ZORKMIDS, 50 COINS, and so on. Everything but the 20 RUPEES would just be a gold amount that gets added to your money total. We'll see if he actually checks his Key Items.
oh my god ... can we make EVERY road block item work like that? The TNT, ROD, RUBY, and just change the currency?
Old 10-12-2017, 05:11 PM

I was just going to make the NPC give an item that's a negative gold amount, instead of having it come out of a chest (because the code is the same as far as the game is concerned, whether an NPC gives gold or an item, it's still an "item")

but this idea is SO MUCH BETTER.

Incidentally, my current project is mapping out which NPCs use which dialogue options precisely, and the conditions associated--I've noticed that not only do certain plot triggers (e.g. rescuing Princess Sara) cause various NPCs to change their dialogue, but certain NPCs don't even appear until after their associated plot triggers (e.g. defeating PIRATEs in Pravoka). Having a tighter knowledge on how the events adjust NPC dialogue will give me more freedom to convert NPCs into gags, like the Door Repair Charge guy.

Coincidentally, from my brief forays into the pertinent menus as part of the FFHackster In A Nutshell post, I theorize (but have made no attempt to validate) that the code used for the TITAN can be reused on other NPCs who demand different key items--a 20 RUPEES item, for example. And yes, since the gold objects have their names decoupled from the actual gold values, it would be easy enough to implement the suggested 300 ZORKMIDS gag.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Monsters can't get value from ALIT, because the routine for their elemental defense reads from ROM instead of RAM. Which is a shame, I like that more than intrinsic lightning resist.

We could fix that bug, though. Would actually make XFER good because it can strip all resists, not just dispel magic defenses.
So I'm already working on the first pass of changes. I would love to know if this proposal has any chance of working, because I love making the Anti-Element spells functional for monsters, as well as making XFER a useful spell. I fear that if too many changes get made, someone will have to take apart whatever version we've got and apply manual hex edits, which sounds terrifying.

So far I've done a couple minor dialogue tweaks, added some walls to the Temple of Fiends that force a full trip around the ring (until you come back later with the KEY), and changed the PIRATE fight to GENDRID, PIRATEx5. The new PIRATEs have 24hp instead of a measly 6, and are lead by GENDRID, the vile necromancer.

Code:
GENDRID
Defensive stats: HP 100, ABSORB 10, MORALE 255, AGILITY 10, Resistant to Ice + Status + Death + Poison, Weak to Fire, UNDEAD-family, MAGE-family
Offensive stats: DAMAGE 10, Hit% 16, Crit% 1, 1 hit/round, Sleep on hit (though he'll never use those stats, as right now he only ever casts magic), Spell threshold 128/128, Spell list MUTE SLEP FOG2 HEAL ICE ICE STOP LOK2
Rewards: 500gp 1000xp
I'm thinking I might take one of the useless direct damage monster skills and turn it into a single-target MUTE, since I was mistaken in my original claim that MUTE is single-target. It most definitely is not, and it seems to stick to every party member pretty reliably.

Tags
ff misfit quest , final fantasy , romhack