The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-08-2017, 04:41 PM
is Earnest

The Saw Cleaver is a solid choice. Alternatively, the Saw Spear can be found in the first area and it's a Dex version of the same thing with better scaling. The animation is a bit stiffer, and the difference in damage is not huge so go with whichever feels better to you.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:52 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I picked Saw Cleaver and Blunderbuss for starting gear. My plan is to stick with the former throughout, unless that's ill-advised.
Go for it. The Saw Cleaver was my weapon of choice during my first playthrough, and I had no issue.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:21 PM
one zero zero one SOS

It also has a "serrated" property that only a few other weapons have. It does a bit of bonus damage to beast-type enemies such as werewolves and people!

Also good call on buying a new hat. This is good operating procedure even IRL.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:25 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Like I said before, Hunter Axe and Ludwig's Holy Blade are probably the "best" weapons in the game but Hunter Saw isn't far behind. And everything is good, so use whatever feels comfortable.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:11 PM

Personally my favorite wound up being the Kirkhammer, but I also grew very fond of the Whirligig Saw, and the Amygdalan Arm.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:16 PM
is Earnest

Did anyone else ever use the Boom Hammer? It's not the most powerful weapon, but damn if it isn't satisfying to use.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:22 PM
bunch of bozos

Quote:
I picked Saw Cleaver and Blunderbuss for starting gear. My plan is to stick with the former throughout, unless that's ill-advised.
I played through the entire game, including DLC, with this setup. Loved the Saw Cleaver, but felt the Blunderbuss lost its effectiveness about halfway through the game. Is that true of all guns, or just this one in particular?
Old 03-08-2017, 10:00 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Did anyone else ever use the Boom Hammer? It's not the most powerful weapon, but damn if it isn't satisfying to use.
My roommate loved it. I know you loved it. I wanted to use it but I never got around to it.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:17 AM
Bald Gendou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
And then Im dead and I have to wait 5 minutes to be loaded back in
Install the update.

Who let you play without the update!?

Never play without the update.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:49 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dracula View Post
I played through the entire game, including DLC, with this setup. Loved the Saw Cleaver, but felt the Blunderbuss lost its effectiveness about halfway through the game. Is that true of all guns, or just this one in particular?
Effectiveness at what? The pistol never does much damage but parrying is almost always useful.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:41 AM

Progress: Saw Cleaver +2. Defeated Father Gascoigne by a comfortable margin on my first try. Feelin' like a champ.

It's probably just me, but I seem to be having an easier time popping parries with the Blunderbuss than with the Pistol. Then again, my time with the latter was during my fumbling hours in my other save file, so I probably just really sucked.

Next up: backfill the dry docks, try my luck against the Cleric Beast, and then move on to Cathedral Ward.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Guycot View Post
Install the update.

Who let you play without the update!?

Never play without the update.
I have the update. And yeah I was exaggerating but the load times are still a thing.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Next up: backfill the dry docks, try my luck against the Cleric Beast, and then move on to Cathedral Ward.
If you were able to take down Father Gascan, you can definitely take on the cleric beast. The trick for taking on the cleric beast is to not use lock-on. Just try to keep behind him around his feet, make sure you dodge his generously telegraphed attacks, and you should be fine.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:11 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Cleric Beast is another example in a long line of From making bosses the camera just isn't equipped for. If you find it a frustrating experience, just don't bother-- it's an optional boss anyway, and the rewards are minuscule.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:12 AM
contains words & diagrams

OTOH if you find Cleric Beast too annoying to beat you're gonna have a hell of a time with his older sister down the road a little.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:13 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I didn't play last night. Hoping to sink some time into it tonight though and maybe, just maybe get somewhere.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:17 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefari View Post
OTOH if you find Cleric Beast too annoying to beat you're gonna have a hell of a time with his older sister down the road a little.
Who's that, Amelia? Blood-starved Beast? I didn't find Cleric Beast to be indicative of their fights.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I didn't play last night. Hoping to sink some time into it tonight though and maybe, just maybe get somewhere.
YOU CAN DO IT! Believe in yourself!!
Old 03-09-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
Who's that, Amelia? Blood-starved Beast? I didn't find Cleric Beast to be indicative of their fights.
Big A. I found her to be identical to Cleric Beast with her fighting style.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
You're my inspiration for jumping back into BB; I believe in you!

Quote:
I'm hoping I've improved; I beat it on my old save but it took a lot of attempts and I was getting frustrated and felt like maybe I just got lucky when I finally succeeded. I felt relief but not triumph.

And I agree that older sis feels similar; that's where I stalled out last time.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:49 PM
Bald Gendou

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyonion View Post
No idea if you're using the Augur of Ebrietas at all, but it parries him. I think it has a fairly large parry window so you don't need to be as precise.

Also, when he did his mid-range leaping slam against me, I would dodge forward so as to be directly behind him when he landed. It's near impossible to get a charge attack out in his small recovery time even if you turn yourself around as quick as possible, but the Augur comes out fast enough to crumple him for a visceral.
It is indeed possible to charge attack! With the Rakuyo
Old 03-09-2017, 08:28 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Made some more progress. I'm level 17. Killed a big pig. Getting my head slowly wrapped around attacking instead of maneuvering and such. Maybe.

I also found my way to Father so and so. Got him down to half health to on the first fight. Is there a closer lamp to him though than the first one you come across in the game? I rather not have to deal with three Quasimodos and a horde of fanatical farmers every time I fight him...

I feel like I'm missing things too but I'm not sure what. Maybe it's just cause things aren't clicking yet.

What do I do with insight? If I spend it do I lose the privileges getting it gave me? Can I not level up if I don't have at least one insight?

Any other random leveling up tips is appreciated. I started as a professional and as I already said I got the cane and the blunderbuss.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:39 PM

You can spend insight on items from the bath messenger located outside of the top of the workshop, and no you can't level up without at least one to activate the doll. The only major privilege is leveling up, the rest are subtle aside from lowering your frenzy resist.

Don't spend points on bloodtinge or arcane unless you know exactly what you're doing. Focus on your attack stat and Stam and Vit.

That's the best lamp for Big G, just run past the mobs, you'll figure it out, you've played these games before.

This game has way less clutch missable stuff than Souls games do. I spent the entire game wearing the hunters garb for example.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
You can spend insight on items from the bath messenger located outside of the top of the workshop, and no you can't level up without at least one to activate the doll. The only major privilege is leveling up, the rest are subtle aside from lowering your frenzy resist.

Don't spend points on bloodtinge or arcane unless you know exactly what you're doing. Focus on your attack stat and Stam and Vit.

That's the best lamp for Big G, just run past the mobs, you'll figure it out, you've played these games before.

This game has way less clutch missable stuff than Souls games do. I spent the entire game wearing the hunters garb for example.
Oh yeah I found that Hunter garb in the sewer too.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:49 PM

Another tip! Aside from certain parts where you want to stack specific resistances and don't have a rune for it, gear is something you can almost completely ignore, as it makes a negligible difference gameplay wise. Fashionborne is all there is.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:51 PM
Family Man

Armor doesn't mean much in Bloodborne, aside from giving a little added protection against fire, poison, etc. You gain physical defense with every level, so grinding isn't a bad idea if you're having trouble.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:32 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

The second time I fought him he transformed into a wolfman. I hate wolfmen. I was doing okay and had him down to maybe a 5th or less of his life when I got caught on a tombstone or something and then the camera was shitty.

The third time I fought him he somehow one hit killed me in I guess it's his second form? He transforms his weapon. But, it seems bullshit. One hit kills? come-on.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:03 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

He doesn't have a one hit kill. Also the werewolf means he's almost dead and that form is SUPER easy to parry so SHOOT HIM
Old 03-10-2017, 06:46 AM

If enemies catch you in at the end of your dodge invincibility or during your attack animation they get the same rules a player does. You take extra counterhit damage. So if you haven't increased your health much it happens, though usually only against two specific early bosses.

I'm pretty sure his extended axe does have one attack that can OHKO with counter damage. If not it can get damn close so a little health missing might've made the difference. His werewolf form can't OHKO to my memory.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:01 AM

Ha, I defeated the Cleric Beast on my very next attempt. Not using lock-on helped, as everyone mentioned. The only time I tried it was to chuck molotovs but even that missed a lot, which was pretty annoying. Maybe I was too far away. At any rate, triumph achieved!

Later, while reconnoitering the dry docks, I had a small lightbulb moment: I can shoot in the middle of a melee combo. I was getting sleepy when this idea came to me so I didn't play around with it too much. It might be helpful; might be a waste of time/stamina/bullets; might actually be a bad idea. But, in theory, it seems like another tool for bringing the fight to the enemy.

Up next: Cathedral Ward.

@Falselogic: Keep it up, and shoot that padre!

Tags
beast mode , from software , seek it , that pale blood