The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-07-2017, 09:52 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Cleanse Us Of This Horrible Dream - LTTP Bloodborne

The old thread is like 60 pages long and I'm not going to dig through all that! So here's this one! Mods have special access to some extra threads to be used in case of an emergency.

I played for about two hours last night and never got out of the first area. This game is hard. Def feels harder than DS or DS3. Blocking and Parrying not being here makes a big difference! I am not a fan of the bullet parry thing. It's too finicky. I can never tell what frames I'm supposed to be aiming to shoot them at and then I've got to time it based on how far away I am. It's pretty bullshit.

I picked the transforming saw blade thing and the pistol. I kinda think I should have gone with the shotgun? Though I imagine parrying with that thing is even harder than it is with the pistol...

Let's see who did I die to last night? The big guy with the meat cleaver who is off the main path in central Yharnam. A couple of the mobs of regular people. Those two giant brick-wielding guys. dogs. Some hairy guy down a staircase. Some guy who I didn't realize was an NPC until too late.

Still enjoying it. But, I did think I would be significantly farther along than I got last night.

PS - first person to say 'get gud' gets carded =)
Old 03-07-2017, 09:56 AM
#deadfish2017

Seek pale blood, FL.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Seek pale blood, FL.
Thanks Loki! That was about as helpful the first time I saw it in the very first room right before the weakest fucking werewolf in history gutted me.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:00 AM
is Earnest

I don't even bother with the guns, I just dodge and attack my way through the whole game. Oh, except for the DLC Gatling Gun! Which is a lot of fun to use and does a bit of damage. But for the most part, just try not to get hit, and if you are hit try to hit them back to get your HP back up.

For your first playthrough, Strength or STR/DEX is the easiest way to go. Put a lot of points in HP too.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:00 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Thanks Loki! That was about as helpful the first time I saw it in the very first room right before the weakest fucking werewolf in history gutted me.
Sounds like you have to seek pale blood.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:01 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I am not a fan of the bullet parry thing. It's too finicky. I can never tell what frames I'm supposed to be aiming to shoot them at and then I've got to time it based on how far away I am. It's pretty bullshit.
Generally, you want to shoot right at the end of a wind-up, right before they actually execute the attack.

Parrying is actually really forgiving in Bloodborne, because it's a lot safer to execute. You can do it from a distance; shooting too early often still interrupts the attack; and it's so quick you have the chance to dodge if it doesn't. Visceral attacks, too, are considerably more rewarding here, as not only do they do massive damage, but you can equip runes to grant extra rewards (more echoes, recover health, etc).

It's definitely a skill worth learning, and I suggest spending a bit of time practicing. There's a good lantern in Yharnam where, after going down a few flights of stairs, you find a street patrolled by two cinderblock trolls.

For what it's worth, I took to parrying in Bloodborne despite having no luck with it in Souls.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:09 AM
Come, noble knights!

The best defense in Bloodborne is a good offense. When you get hit, you have a limited window to get your health back by attacking. Wail on some ass while trying not to get hit again.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:17 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Falselogic Pro Tipz:

- Even with Souls experience, it takes a lot of adjusting to the speed of the game. So don't be upset that you suck at it now, we all did at first. I was stuck in Central Yharnam for something like five hours before I "got" Bloodborne.

- Dodging is everything, but your dodge is SO GOOD that it's almost TOO GOOD at first...? If that makes sense? I was so used to the comparatively slower Dark Souls fast roll that I kept getting hit, at first. It takes time to adjust.

- Rally is your friend; if you get hit, FUCK IT hit them back and get your health back. BB is a game where you really need to not be afraid to take risks. All that "hold L1 to use your shield and wait for an opening" nonsense doesn't work here. Be bold! Be aggressive, or be dead.

- Every weapon in this game is BALLER AS HELL. Don't forget about transforming mid-attack, or switching up movesets. Look at a Wiki and figure out what you think is cool and build towards that. Hunter Axe (1h/2h axe) and Ludwig's Holy Blade (1h/2h sword) are crazy OP, Holy Moonlight Sword (DLC weapon) is moderately OP, Threaded Cane and Reiterpallasch are two of my Top 5 Souls game weapons, easy. Whirligig Saw (DLC weapon, mace with a giant pizza cutter sawblade attachment) is up there, too. Basically every weapon is SUPER RAD and completely viable, and the true joy in BB is finding one that jives with you and bringing it to it's fullest potential.

- You know how to build characters in Souls games, so the only thing I'll say is that arcane and bloodtinge aren't very useful unless you build specifically around it. You get items that are kinda like magic spells and Arcane affects that, and certain weapons scale with Arcane. Bloodtinge affects your guns, and it is possible to go all guns, but it's an incredibly specific build that requires specific items and is hard to do. Your guns aren't really there for damage, they're there to parry.

- That said, don't be afraid to parry in this game! As you all know, I am famously anti-shield and anti-parrying in Souls games, but...I dunno, it feels easier to do in BB? I still don't do it a ton, but there are certain enemies that are just crazy easy to parry and it gives you a free visceral, which does roughly 100 billion damage. You can parry some bosses, too! Don't be afraid!

- Seriously, don't be afraid. That's the best advice I can give. BB goes for tons of atmosphere and things get darker and more sinister and twisted the deeper you go in the game, but this is a game where you have to meet everything the game throws at you with unrelenting aggression. Don't be afraid! We believe in you!

- This game rules
Old 03-07-2017, 10:39 AM
It's all good, man

I'm surprised you would like parrying in Souls but have trouble with it in BB. It's the game that taught me how to do it, and I found that skill translated back into Souls when I tried it (sort of).
Old 03-07-2017, 12:15 PM
Spear of Justice

Hey, I got this in the recent PSN sale! Once I've finished reaming out Yakuza 0, it's next on my list.

Haven't played BB yet, but I heard a lot of good things about that there Threaded Cane, yessir. Sounds like a mighty fine weapon what for killin' abominations and such.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I'm surprised you would like parrying in Souls but have trouble with it in BB. It's the game that taught me how to do it, and I found that skill translated back into Souls when I tried it (sort of).
I guess I do have three games worth of experience with the parry in DS? it's easier to read when I sword is going to connect with you than it is a claw or a leaping attack or whatever when you're using a gun to do it?

I keep shooting characters at random times and when theyre in different animations to try and figure it out but none of the whens and why seem to line up for me. And then Im dead and I have to wait 5 minutes to be loaded back in
Old 03-07-2017, 12:34 PM
It's all good, man

Maybe watching videos will help you get a better idea for what the timing window on gun parries generally is.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:27 PM

Buy the Old Hunters DLC before you beat the game! Like the first Dark Souls, when you beat the last boss, you are automatically forced into NG+. The DLC is, in my opinion, the most satisfying content From Software has ever developed, and you definitely want to play it on the first NG cycle.

Dodging is literally everything in this game. Bloodborne expands the utility of dodging by introducing quickstepping, which you should use as an offensive tool just as often as a defensive one. Attacking immediately after a quickstep will alter your attack, just like how in Dark Souls attacking after a backstep provides a new attack.

Like Alixsar said, every weapon in this game is fucking amazing, so use whatever weapon that feels most comfortable to you. The saw blade is a pretty awesome choice, as the serrated edge does an extra like 30% damage to beasts, which is a pretty big deal, especially in the early game. There's another weapon you can get pretty early on called the Saw Spear, which has comparable damage and a pretty similar moveset, but offers a bit of variety in terms of reach and thrusting attacks.

Chalice dungeons are a neat way to extend the longevity of this game. There are set chalice dungeons that are the same every time you enter them. Then there are "root" chalice dungeons, which are randomly generated dungeons that have a theme similar to the chalice from which they are based.

Bloodborne has no illusory walls, except in a very specific chalice dungeon, and root chalice dungeons, so don't go thinking you have to go swinging at every wall you see. There is exactly one wall in Bloodborne that can be broken, which leads to an optional boss. This wall isn't accessible until pretty late into the game, so don't worry about trying to finding it too much. It's a pretty obvious breakable wall, IMO... but if you're worried about missing it, the internet is more than eager to tell you about it!

edit: forgot a thing!

Someone mentioned there aren't many weapons that scale with Arcane, which is true. The key is in what type of damage the weapon does. Physical damage (normal/thrust/blunt) will scale off STR/SKL, magic damage (fire/bolt/arcane) will scale off Arcane, and blood damage will scale off Bloodtinge. Often weapons will do one type of damage with one move, another type with another move, or sometimes a mix of both in one move. I don't believe there is a weapon that does all three types of damage (physical, magic, and blood).

If you find a fire/bolt/arcane gem, you can make your weapon do exclusively magic damage, which will then make it scale off ARC. You don't find a gem that does that until like four bosses into the game or so, I think.

As few weapons as there are that do magic damage, there are even fewer that scale off bloodtinge. I think all guns are Bloodtinge weapons, but there are a handful of melee weapons that also do blood damage, all of which are found very late in the game.

Given all this, the best (i.e. easiest) build in Bloodborne is a straight up quality build, with equal parts STR/SKL (up to 40), and plenty of VIT/END on the side. I would just leave Arcane and Bloodtinge alone completely.

Last edited by narcodis; 03-07-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:59 PM
Just bear with me

I like Bloodborne more than Dark Souls because it's faster. It doesn't feel like as much of a slog, and the extra mobility is empowering. Enemies are still dangerous, but are manageable once you understand their attack patterns and can compensate.

Enemies are more numerous here, though. It's easy to get overwhelmed, so leading one away from a crowd and finishing it off is strongly advised. When you get strong enough (finding a boss will help; you can't level up until you gain at least one insight) you can take on two or three at once, but as a general rule it's best to fight one on one. Sneak attacks are a good way to thin out crowds (hold R2 briefly, release, tap R1 once they're stunned), but I've found that the brick trolls rarely fall for them.

Oh yes, open up the shortcuts as quickly as you can. The game gets very long and very frustrating without them.

Last edited by ArugulaZ; 03-07-2017 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Heh, sorry, I think it was R1 and R2...
Old 03-07-2017, 02:03 PM
is Earnest

Oh yeah, the pebble is one of your most important tools, since you can usually pull one enemy at a time out of a pack.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Oh yeah, the pebble is one of your most important tools, since you can usually pull one enemy at a time out of a pack.
*head-smack* Man, that would make things easier!

I stalled out once I reached the second required boss but now I'm excited to revisit it once I get DS3 out of my system.

Are there offline NPC summons like in DS? I don't have PS+ so no online jolly co-op for me.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
*head-smack* Man, that would make things easier!

I stalled out once I reached the second required boss but now I'm excited to revisit it once I get DS3 out of my system.

Are there offline NPC summons like in DS? I don't have PS+ so no online jolly co-op for me.
There are, but like dark souls, the availability of most all are locked behind specific triggers, like talking with an NPC etc.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:54 PM
one zero zero one SOS

Yeah, the pebble is really, really valuable.

And yes, there are offline NPC summons. Most of them are within spitting distance of the bosses, IIRC. Best part is that you don't need to be in any human form/soul form/ember form/whatever to use it. If you have an insight and a bell, you're good.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:07 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

You've got this, Falselogic. I'm terrible at this game and it's still officially one of my favorites of all time.

Hey, so a couple of nights ago (when I was taking a break from Breath of the Wild) I made it all the way to the Orphan. I almost beat him, too, but then I died. Then I died a few more times before I gave up for the evening. He's certainly as tough as advertised, but much like Maria I think the trick will be to stick to him like glue (until he telegraphs his aoa attack, of course). After I wrap up the Orphan I still need to grab the Rakuyo from the well and beat Lawrence. After that I'm off to the Wetnurse and the true ending, and then maybe I can stop thinking about this game for a little while.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:10 PM
one zero zero one SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
You've got this, Falselogic. I'm terrible at this game and it's still officially one of my favorites of all time.

Hey, so a couple of nights ago (when I was taking a break from Breath of the Wild) I made it all the way to the Orphan. I almost beat him, too, but then I died. Then I died a few more times before I gave up for the evening. He's certainly as tough as advertised, but much like Maria I think the trick will be to stick to him like glue (until he telegraphs his aoa attack, of course). After I wrap up the Orphan I still need to grab the Rakuyo from the well and beat Lawrence. After that I'm off to the Wetnurse and the true ending, and then maybe I can stop thinking about this game for a little while.
No idea if you're using the Augur of Ebrietas at all, but it parries him. I think it has a fairly large parry window so you don't need to be as precise.

Also, when he did his mid-range leaping slam against me, I would dodge forward so as to be directly behind him when he landed. It's near impossible to get a charge attack out in his small recovery time even if you turn yourself around as quick as possible, but the Augur comes out fast enough to crumple him for a visceral.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:15 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyonion View Post
No idea if you're using the Augur of Ebrietas at all, but it parries him. I think it has a fairly large parry window so you don't need to be as precise.

Also, when he did his mid-range leaping slam against me, I would dodge forward so as to be directly behind him when he landed. It's near impossible to get a charge attack out in his small recovery time even if you turn yourself around as quick as possible, but the Augur comes out fast enough to crumple him for a visceral.
My arcane ain't high enough. :-(
Old 03-07-2017, 03:50 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Alternatively: I have never used a Pebble even one time in four playthroughs (including 1 NG+ run).

So. Eh.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Finally made it to the first boss... Maybe? There was no lamp near it. This game seems to be stingy with them, relying more on unlocking shortcuts and levels that are deeply intertwined.

Anyway the Cleric Beast fucking destroyed me and then on my way back those fucking wolves did... So I'm done for the evening.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Just bear with me

Good plan. When you return, level up a bit, explore the aquaduct for a while, and maybe fight Father Gasciogne instead. I still haven't beaten the Cleric Beast myself, but there are weapons that'll be a big help for that battle (fire, for instance).
Old 03-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Chief Servbot

The Cleric Beast is technically optional, so you can come back later if you're having a bit of a hard time.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:59 AM
It's all good, man

I didn't use them a ton but I found the NPC summons less helpful than they are in Souls.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:37 AM
Ancient Nameless Hero

I just started playing this last week, and am loving every minute. I'm currently exploring Cainhurst. I could go tackle a major boss at this point, but wanted to check out what's in Cainhurst first, since I'm given to understand that the game state changes once that boss is down, so I'm not sure I want to do that yet. NPC summons aren't super intelligent, but they can at least draw the boss's attention off of you exclusively. Be aware, though: Summoning in an area opens you up to being invaded in that area also.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I just started playing this last week, and am loving every minute. I'm currently exploring Cainhurst. I could go tackle a major boss at this point, but wanted to check out what's in Cainhurst first, since I'm given to understand that the game state changes once that boss is down, so I'm not sure I want to do that yet. NPC summons aren't super intelligent, but they can at least draw the boss's attention off of you exclusively. Be aware, though: Summoning in an area opens you up to being invaded in that area also.
Just going to say Cainhurst will remain the same regardless of how far into the game you are.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:56 AM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Good to know!

Also, I like how this game stands the Souls formula on its head in some ways. Souls is (comparatively) defense-focused, encouraging you to wait for an opening and be calculated. Bloodborne wants you to just go for it. It helps to be a little calculating (using pebbles to draw enemies away from a group one at a time to confront them more on your terms), but I like the way it emphasises raw aggression with things like the rally system, and even with more subtle things like giving your default healing item its own dedicated button, and allowing you to carry up to 20 at once right off the bat.

Also, False, if it helps you at all, I discovered early on that you can still get rally health refills once an enemy's dead. Until they actually fall, if you keep hitting them, you'll still get health back.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:24 PM

Arrow

Okay, move over DS3 (for now); I'm getting back into BB!

Started a brand new file and was this close to punching out the initial wolf beast. Two-handing my, er, hands did a pretty good job in staggering it. I got hung up on a table at the 11th hour, costing me a rally and setting me up for a chump shot. Oh well, it was invigorating to bring the fight!

I picked Saw Cleaver and Blunderbuss for starting gear. My plan is to stick with the former throughout, unless that's ill-advised.

I've unlocked the first shortcut and purchased a better hat and coat. Got a pocket full of molatov and pebbles. Time to get some insight!

Mantra: Go in smart, but don't go in scared!

Tags
beast mode , from software , seek it , that pale blood