The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 10-11-2017, 01:18 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Say what you will about Claremont, at least you could distinguish the characters' voices from one another.
I think Claremont's actually pretty underrated. Much like the Lee/Kirby FF's or the Lee/Ditko/Romita Spider Mans, Claremont's run of X-Men is sort of the only one that really matters, in that everything that came afterwards was derivative of those ideas and character relationships he developed.

Also, his own weird tics and obsessions made him a perfect bronze age successor to Stan Lee's attempts at fusing romantic drama and costumed action.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:09 PM
noble beast

In the X-Men's 4th annual, Wolverine gives Nightcrawler a giant framed headshot of himself in costume.

Anyway, I'm up to the New Mutants now in my readthrough of X-Men from the beginning. I actually read (most of?) Claremont's New Mutants when I was young, (never read his X-Men before) and I'm looking forward to revisiting it. Really enjoyed the Magik miniseries.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:10 PM
Safe Space

Hey, maybe it's a painting.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:13 PM
Safe Space

But really, who gives someone a polka-dot shirt with a striped tie for their birthday?
I bet it was Cyclops.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:20 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
In the X-Men's 4th annual, Wolverine gives Nightcrawler a giant framed headshot of himself in costume.
Say what you will, but how many people have seen Wolvie deliver a perfect DC Comics-style wholesome smile, let alone have a framed version of it?

Quote:
But really, who gives someone a polka-dot shirt with a striped tie for their birthday?
I bet it was Cyclops.
Damn, your cleverly hidden white text beat me to the answer.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:52 AM
oh my car

They actually got Actual Jim Davis to contribute some content to the guest art featured in an unspecified (probably imminent) issue of Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:01 PM
noble beast

Love it. Always a thrill to see JD~
Quote:
Well, I just came across another drumstick in the canon.

Karma's fat, therefore evil and much larger than her drumstick than Wolverine is, which further compounds her villainy.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:07 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
They actually got Actual Jim Davis to contribute some content to the guest art featured in an unspecified (probably imminent) issue of Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.
This is unbelievably epic.
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM
..and his little cat, too

I am stoked for the Galactus thing.
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Karma's fat, therefore evil and much larger than her drumstick than Wolverine is, which further compounds her villainy.
Karma was such a wasted character. I guess they had to get rid of her, because she was too powerful against anything that wasn't a robot?
Old Yesterday, 10:38 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Wait a tick, I thought Karma was a founding member of the New Mutants. Petite Vietnamese girl? Standard array of psychic powers? No?
Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Wait a tick, I thought Karma was a founding member of the New Mutants. Petite Vietnamese girl? Standard array of psychic powers? No?
Briefly, until a very questionable Shadow King storyline. She loses the weight during a trip to Asgard, but isn't really around all that much after that. Karma was really underused.

(Less importantly and more of a nerd triva thing, her powers are mostly laser focused on possessing/controlling people, with a dash of other telepathic stuff on the side. You can kind of understand the urge to quickly write her out, because her powers break a lot of stories...)

Last edited by estragon; Yesterday at 11:30 PM.
Old Today, 04:22 AM
noble beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Karma was such a wasted character. I guess they had to get rid of her, because she was too powerful against anything that wasn't a robot?
Magik’s way more powerful, but she’s also a more engaging character. Karma just had a less compelling gimmick/look/phonetic accent/personality than the other characters to whoever was writing both times she was written out. (haven’t gotten to the second time yet; I assume in Simonson’s run)

When she first appeared, her possession power was supposed to be v. good, but normal telepaths gained such power creep that she just seems like a shitty telepath. (bad telepaths are still powerful things imo) At this point, (issue 53 or so) Karma gets her possession victims’ knowledge, too, but she still has to possess them first.
Old Today, 08:16 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Magik’s way more powerful, but she’s also a more engaging character. Karma just had a less compelling gimmick/look/phonetic accent/personality than the other characters to whoever was writing both times she was written out. (haven’t gotten to the second time yet; I assume in Simonson’s run)

When she first appeared, her possession power was supposed to be v. good, but normal telepaths gained such power creep that she just seems like a shitty telepath. (bad telepaths are still powerful things imo) At this point, (issue 53 or so) Karma gets her possession victims’ knowledge, too, but she still has to possess them first.
I think the problem for writers is that Magik is very powerful in a way that creates interesting situations (teleportation discs, sorcery, and magic sword/armor are very cool). Karma is very powerful in a way that breaks traditional superhero stories ("oh, a supervillain? lol i control you completely, we win"). If Karma's around, she ruins your story.

Telepath power creep means that now basically everyone has to write around this, but in her context Karma was uniquely good at completely mentally dominating a single person.

Tags
excelsior! , marvel , super heroes