The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-21-2011, 05:43 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

The Wii and DS Batman: Brave and the Bold games are superb.

Can't get behind the Thor DS recommendation, that is a supremely tedious game. Nice looking, but just the same thing over and over. Which accurately describes the lesser end of the Wayforward spectrum (Where the Wild Things Are, Spongebob etc). They're overall pretty great, though. Haven't yet tried A Boy and His Blob, but I will have to do so.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:11 AM
VGM is updated yo!

I hate WayForward. Somehow they haven't bothered to make the game everyone wants them to do: a remake of Castlevania 3.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:23 AM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Can't get behind the Thor DS recommendation, that is a supremely tedious game. Nice looking, but just the same thing over and over. Which accurately describes the lesser end of the Wayforward spectrum (Where the Wild Things Are, Spongebob etc). They're overall pretty great, though. Haven't yet tried A Boy and His Blob, but I will have to do so.
I loved Thor. Repetitive, yes, but I love me action/beat 'em up games, and it was a slick, slylish interpretation with massive, memorable bosses. Could have probably used more time, but that also sums up dozens of other promising licensed games. I hope the 3DS game that was apparently pushed back is a unique game.

I'll admit not every game they make is going to be amazing--often constrained by time or the limits of a license. However, usually you know when it's going to be good by looking at it. It's also heartening that they have begun to build game recognition among hardcore gamers at large. We're long past the "lol PingPals" from GAFtards days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyVGM View Post
I hate WayForward. Somehow they haven't bothered to make the game everyone wants them to do: a remake of Castlevania 3.
That would require Konami to add more money to the budgets for the 2D CV games. Team IGA already is going over their allotted $500 as it is!
Old 08-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Obtuse Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyVGM View Post
That would be pretty boss.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:35 AM
VGM is updated yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
That would require Konami to add more money to the budgets for the 2D CV games. Team IGA already is going over their allotted $500 as it is!
Modern Konami = sucks
Old 08-21-2011, 01:24 PM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I loved Thor. Repetitive, yes, but I love me action/beat 'em up games, and it was a slick, slylish interpretation with massive, memorable bosses.
It's likely that I missed something, but it really did seem the epitome of repetition to me. Every level was just the almost exact same, with no unique gimmicks or changes besides the background. The fighting mechanics in themselves weren't bad.

Sigma Star Saga, anyone? Thought not.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:39 PM

From WayForwards Facebook page:

Quote:
“Attention Shantae fans! Keep an eye on TouchArcade for a very special announcement, coming soon!”
Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 PM
King Of Space-Time

TouchArcade? Whazzat?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Little Waves

iPhone; move along.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

I don't have an iPhone, but I'd buy a Shantae thing on my Android if it were inexpensive and could keep me occupied for a little while.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Mad Overlord

The news is out -- Risky's Revenge is getting an adaptation to iOS in a couple of weeks. I never upgraded from my old reliable DS Lite to one of the newer models, so I'm happy to finally have a chance to play it.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Getting Equipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojum View Post
The news is out -- Risky's Revenge is getting an adaptation to iOS in a couple of weeks. I never upgraded from my old reliable DS Lite to one of the newer models, so I'm happy to finally have a chance to play it.
It looks like crap and probably controls like it too.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:47 PM
MOE~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
iPhone; move along.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:14 PM

Well I think this is great news. I often get asked by non-gamer relatives "What's a good game for my iPad?". Now I'll have a good answer!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Getting Equipped

It is a good game and it is available for iPad, but I don't think that necessarily makes it a good game for the iPad.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:29 PM
MOE~

Right.

I don't think Kishi would even play a port of Contra 4 on iOS.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordian View Post
Really? 'Cause the HD character portraits look really nice in those screens, and the game is put in a border to keep the resolution from getting to out of hand.

I won't be getting this because I already own the game on a different platform, but I'm going to withhold judgement on controls until I play it or at least, hear what people who do play it have to say. That seems like the reasonable thing to do.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:59 PM
Come, noble knights!

Even with tweaks for the format I wouldn't want to play Risky's Revenge on a format without buttons, but I can't blame WayForward for wanting to get the game available to a wider audience than DSiWare.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:38 AM
Getting Equipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASandoval View Post
Really? 'Cause the HD character portraits look really nice in those screens, and the game is put in a border to keep the resolution from getting to out of hand.
There being a reason for the border doesn't make it any less hideous.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Mystery Contraption

I could see One of the Mighty games working on iOS easily easily enough, but not Shantae
Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Nothing is more powerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordian View Post
Hard to port.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Too Much TV Game

So...I played the BloodRayne demo. I'm...not sure about this one. I think I agree with some of the side criticism that there is too much animation in this game. I never felt like I had full control over Rayne, and that's a problem when the enemies can just overwhelm you.

I know the game is meant to be difficult, but I feel it is difficult for the wrong reasons. Why can't I slash while moving? What is with the pointless exploding embryos? If you're going to use a "natural" light gimmick to make the character more mortal, why do you place them everywhere and effectively slow the game down? I also don't like the gun-wielding enemies, because there is effectively no way to dodge them unless you have eagle eyes and can spot the gunners from within the crowd of similar-looking enemies. (I would have accepted being able to speed dash through gunfire.)

I finished both levels in the demo and felt like I was getting better at grasping the concepts, but I'm not sure I want to pay full price for this. I could imagine it being frustrating for all the wrong reasons.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceTalk View Post
So...I played the BloodRayne demo. I'm...not sure about this one. I think I agree with some of the side criticism that there is too much animation in this game. I never felt like I had full control over Rayne, and that's a problem when the enemies can just overwhelm you.

I know the game is meant to be difficult, but I feel it is difficult for the wrong reasons. Why can't I slash while moving? What is with the pointless exploding embryos? If you're going to use a "natural" light gimmick to make the character more mortal, why do you place them everywhere and effectively slow the game down? I also don't like the gun-wielding enemies, because there is effectively no way to dodge them unless you have eagle eyes and can spot the gunners from within the crowd of similar-looking enemies. (I would have accepted being able to speed dash through gunfire.)

I finished both levels in the demo and felt like I was getting better at grasping the concepts, but I'm not sure I want to pay full price for this. I could imagine it being frustrating for all the wrong reasons.
Yea, I dunno. I never had a problem with the animation - it cut out at the right times so (when I actually figured the combo system out) I was pretty much able to do what I wanted when I wanted. As for the gun weilding enemies, they have a really (really) long animation letting you know "HEY WE'RE GOING TO SHOOT IN THE NEXT 5 SECONDS SO YOU MIGHT WANT TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT OKAY? OKAY!". If I was in the middle of an ultra sweet combo it could be a problem, but generally speaking I could either perform a dash attack to keep the enemies I was already hitting at bay while still hitting the gun enemy, or shoot them before they could shoot me as a last resort.

It did take me some time to figure it out, but once I need, the game was pretty smooth sailing. I might put down the 15 bucks at some point... when I have 15 bucks to give anyway.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Fluffy Prince

New Aliens: Infestation video includes Loader and APC action and ludicrous Alien gibs.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Little Waves

Old 09-17-2011, 03:49 AM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfried View Post
New Aliens: Infestation video includes Loader and APC action and ludicrous Alien gibs.
When is that coming out again? Because I need to remember to buy that.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Little Waves

Says "AVAILABLE OCTOBER 11, 2011" at the end, there.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Little Waves

Just watched Aliens on Outer Heaven, then watched the Infestation trailer again.

I could not be more ready.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Mystery Contraption

Been playing Infestation all day. Well, most of all day. And there is a LOT I like about it. Like how well a lot of the Xenomorphs blend in to the background, and how they unfold from it to attack. Or how they have different death animations depending on what weapon you use. Or how the extra marines basically work like 1-ups except with personalities. Or the boss fight that managed to be a combination homage to the Crocomire fight and the climax of Aliens while still being distinct from both.

There are a few oddities though, like storerooms full of items right next to save-points which refill your health and ammo anyway. Also all the marines sprites look identical, except for the pallate, despite what their portraits would indicate. Usually its not that noticable, but when the only difference between waifish goth-girl and burly, quiet guy is the color of their skin, its kind of hard not to notice. Also, a fully upgraded weapon isn't noticeably different from a starting one.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:48 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

I thought Aliens was coming out next week. Bah. Another game I don't have much time to play.

*shakes fist*

"Peeeeeeeeeersoooooooooonaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!"

Tags
barracuda moe , bozongas , contra 5? , deep cleavage , ducktales , pretty games , secret ugly babies , shantae , wayforward