The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Fluffy Prince

Default The WayForward thread

We all are fans here, "A Boy...", Contra, and Shantae (bad ABC analogy I know). I know there's Might Switch Force and 2D Bloodrayne coming soon, but apparently the 2D love never stops since Aliens: Colonial Infestation has been annonced for DS, and it's reminding me a lot like Alien 3 SNES.

So that a lot of stuff coming from our favorite small time developer, I'd figure I'd consolidate all the love for them in one thread.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:38 AM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

Even if this thread starts off mentioning digital games -- I think it might be able to accommodate the kind of discussion you're looking for.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Fluffy Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
Even if this thread starts off mentioning digital games -- I think it might be able to accommodate the kind of discussion you're looking for.
I'm not hoping to step on Tomm (of all peoples) thread or anything. Probably the Mighty games (and WayForwards original IPs) deserve their own thread, but their licensed stuff deserve some acclaim as well.

More info about Colonial Infestation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sega Press Release
Build your own squad of Colonial Marines
Recruit up to twenty individual Colonial Marines with distinct personalities, each designed by famed comic artist Chris Bachalo. Race to rescue captured comrades in five realtime minutes before they are implanted with Xenos.

Dynamic story system
Storyline and dialogue will change depending on who you have chosen for your team. Who will be able to stand up to the Xeno horde – and who will be dragged away to the hive?

Classic arcade feel
Aliens: Infestation features 2D side-scrolling gameplay in the style of Metroid or Castlevania with an arcade, retro feel. This couples with a deep combat system and extensive narrative to make this the ultimate in fan-service.
So multiple-ending Alien Contra/Metroidvania?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:02 AM
Bald Gendou

Yay they finally announced Contra 4's sequel.

Hope you like Metrocontravania!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Wayforward, teach me to love again in the brutal wake of MML3's cancellation!

Or something, I don't know. Either way, I got me some mad love for pixelicious side-scrolling action games.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Guycot View Post

Controidvania sounds nicer, I find.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Unreleased Beta Version

Humorous that Contra and Metroid both owe a lot to Alien(s).
Old 07-20-2011, 11:35 AM
is Earnest

Of their games, I've only played Mighty Flip Champs. I like it quite a bit! I should play some of their other stuff one of these days.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:40 PM
the :motion: stands

Quote:

Shooting draculas while grooming your impeccable eyebrows?
Old 07-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Obtuse Ham

I haven't played any WayForward games. Which one(s) should I start out with (unfortunately, can't play the new Shantae and can't afford the old one)?
Old 07-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Bald Gendou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octo Prime
Controidvania sounds nicer, I find.
Controidvania it is, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refa View Post
I haven't played any WayForward games. Which one(s) should I start out with (unfortunately, can't play the new Shantae and can't afford the old one)?
Contra 4
Boy and his Blob
Mighty Flip Champs
Old 07-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Fluffy Prince

And even though there's already a separate thread of it, here's the interview of Destructoid with WayForward about Bloodrayne: Betrayal.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refa View Post
Quote:
Contra 4
Boy and his Blob
Mighty Flip Champs
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Thor DS (DO NOT buy the XBox/PS3 Versions)
Justice League Heroes: The Flash
Lit
Ping Pals.... Just kidding
Old 07-20-2011, 05:36 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

And just because someone might see it while surfing WayForward's page -- Looney Tunes: Duck Amuck is best avoided. I happened to be reminded of it on WayForward's site & thought, Hey, this couldn't've been that bad, could it have been?

Found it half-off at a Target (a price I think it's remained at there) -- and it turned out to be worse than how others reported it. I'm going to describe things pretty generally here, due to lack of time -- but the presentation in both the interactive & non-interactive portions is pretty bungled. The interactive portions are, of course, minigames -- some which have very little to do with the surrounding topic or are segued awkwardly, and all which you're asked to play repeatedly, thereby losing the punch in the punchline.

The non-interactive portions have some occasional hints of light-chuckle-worthy writing -- but the movies are for the most part, delivered without any semblance of cleverness from the 1950s original. It might be largely the fault of the overbearing music -- but it kinda feels like the delivery of the original has been replaced by a feel that's more like someone saying, "Hey, cartoons! You like cartoons, right?! CARTOONS!" Except, of course, that Daffy talks about video games instead. Daffy also feels like he's been replaced with a more modern, bleached version of himself.

Part of it feels like ambition exceeded budget -- and the other part felt like the game wouldn't've felt satisfying with a full budget anyway. I'd recommend leaving the game in the bargain bin if you see it anywhere; don't bother picking it up.

Last edited by Warg; 07-20-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:10 PM
oh my car

I actually bought Duck Amuck. It was an interesting experiment.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 PM
SPACE DEPUTY

Yeah I had fun with Duck Amuck. I'd like to see Nintendo rip the idea off and do a Wario Ware title with an interactive Wario.

The biggest problems Duck Amuck had were length (I think there were only twenty games tops on the whole thing with not a whole lot of depth to any of them) and the fact that you almost needed a faq to find and unlock everything. And I'm pretty sure some games unlocked at random. Still! It was an ambitious idea and its TOTALLY worth trying out if you find it for like ten bucks or something.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
You are not off the hook!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:09 AM
I'm not BOY

I can't think of anything more awesome than Wayforward x Aliens
Old 07-21-2011, 12:24 AM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Sounds like a nice place to visit. I might even want to live there.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Fluffy Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzopher View Post
I can't think of anything more awesome than Wayforward x Aliens
I would say expectation might run too high, but considering the "uncanned" release, and HOLY CRAP PARISH LOVES IT, this game might indeed be the DS swansong...unless Noora and & the Time Studio comes out in the US...and gets raped by a facehugger. (Argh...The mental image...)
Old 07-22-2011, 04:34 PM
A real human being

Just finished reading Parish's preview of it. I can't wait to play this. The death mechanic is pretty awesome sounding, and I can't wait to see it in action. I'm hoping the facehugger hosts can still be rescued only to die while in the squad. Sounds like it's a possibility, but hard to tell by the wording in the preview.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointzeroeight View Post
Just finished reading Parish's preview of it. I can't wait to play this. The death mechanic is pretty awesome sounding, and I can't wait to see it in action. I'm hoping the facehugger hosts can still be rescued only to die while in the squad. Sounds like it's a possibility, but hard to tell by the wording in the preview.
I'll be curious how they're going to work around savescumming. Make it so hard that you more or less have to burn through Marines to finish the game? Demon Souls-style autosaving?
Old 07-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
I'll be curious how they're going to work around savescumming. Make it so hard that you more or less have to burn through Marines to finish the game? Demon Souls-style autosaving?
That's my biggest concern. If they have autosaving I should be fine, but if they allow savescumming I know that I'm going to reload whenever a marine dies off, since it'd have the same problem as Fire Emblem's perma-death, you can always retry. Otherwise though, this looks fantastic.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Fluffy Prince

Footage of Aliens Infestation without commentary.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Slammaster

Yeah, I need this game. Because Aliens. Because WayForward. I can die happy now.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Obtuse Ham

The game itself looks great, but that footage was kinda...meh. All the person did was walk around and talk, but all of the text is blurred.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:53 AM
Condiment connoisseur

Part of why I really like WayForward games is that I can hand my DS to somebody and say "here, play this."

And then when I come back to them like an hour later they're still playing it and enjoying it. Not many of my other games do that.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
They're not. You can roll back to a save if you want. I suggested auto-saving upon a death or abduction as the hook for hard mode, but alas, it is too late.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Obsession or passion?

Finally, a Metroid game for DS.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:13 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

A friend and I have been co-op ripping through the Wii Batman: Brave and the Bold. The first 2 episodes are down so far. Sooo good. The game is obviously aimed to not be too hard for the younger set, but basically by penalizing you only for score if you die, really, and it feels awesome to dish out tons of beatings. Plus, you can have Batman fight with a lightsaber! It feels very familiar if you've played the Konami Batman & Robin SNES game, although more combat focused than platforming.

(And the DS game is good too, albeit short.)

The game had a thread here, but it seemed to mostly be pre-release impressions and a few quick purchase impressions.

Anyway, Episode 2, which was wrapped up today, is the Grodd episode, and pretty much is a follow-up to The Fall of the Blue Beetle. Jaime is the best Batman sidekick. Even a few 4th wall jokes about them seemingly being in a video game.

I love all the little details scattered through the game, like the Red Hood costume, Booster Gold cola, super nerdy comic book jokes, etc.

BTW, the music for the first (post-cold opening) regular level of the London episode is a very gothy, almost Castlevania-ish tune. Anywhere where one can find the soundtrack or that song in particular?

It also makes me super hyped for Bloodrayne Betrayal.

Tags
barracuda moe , bozongas , contra 5? , deep cleavage , ducktales , pretty games , secret ugly babies , shantae , wayforward