The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-09-2017, 04:13 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Playing Mother 3 on actual hardware is paramount, yes. The rhythm system adds a lot to the battle system, and makes the rolling HP counters matter more.

It's definitely my favorite of the Mother games, but then I love anything steeped in whimsical melancholy.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:42 PM
Sega CD version is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
How does the RetroArch loading work? Does it replace the existing BIOS and file system, or run in parallel? How does it handle loading the different modules, like NES/GBA?

Can I turn this into an Mother 1/2/3 box, and keep the nifty default front-end?
Yes, the front-end stays the same, and they even routed Retroarch's save states to work the same as the default emulators on the cores I tried it with (the SNES, Genesis, and GBA ones). There are no borders and the display modes are replaced with approximate modes from the cores. Also, the SNES core doesn't have the top and bottom borders to keep the aspect ratio correct, so best to only use it when you have to.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:52 AM
Sudden chomper

Oh man, I hakchi'd mine last night and now it is amazing. I had a friend over who only plays games casually, but I had loaded up stuff like TMNT IV and Tetris Attack and we had a great time with it. I've obviously added essentials (Chrono Trigger) and personal favorites (UN Squadron!), but I also got a little creative. I put a few translated games on, like Front Mission: Gun Hazard, Final Fantasy V and Rockman & Forte - in my brief testing, they all seemed to work properly. I tried to do something crazy by installing the Ancient Cave mod for FFV, but I forgot that it depends on loading a save state, which of course I can't do here. I also found that Out of this World seems to crash at the opening cutscene, but I haven't tried bypassing it via password to see if I can actually play the game. Overall, though, I now have an amazing collection of games on a cute lil' box with some great controllers. I shouldn't be surprised, because I already did this with my NES Classic, but the Super Nintendo is so much more important to me as a system and I'm definitely more excited about this one. I can't wait to show this off to my son!

Really, the only downside to this system is the pain of finding one to buy. Thankfully, I'm not a big fan of the N64, so I should be able to skip the next round of Classics and avoid the headaches of hunting one of these things down.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:27 AM
To the Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Oh man, I hakchi'd mine last night and now it is amazing. I had a friend over who only plays games casually, but I had loaded up stuff like TMNT IV and Tetris Attack and we had a great time with it. I've obviously added essentials (Chrono Trigger) and personal favorites (UN Squadron!), but I also got a little creative. I put a few translated games on, like Front Mission: Gun Hazard, Final Fantasy V and Rockman & Forte - in my brief testing, they all seemed to work properly. I tried to do something crazy by installing the Ancient Cave mod for FFV, but I forgot that it depends on loading a save state, which of course I can't do here. I also found that Out of this World seems to crash at the opening cutscene, but I haven't tried bypassing it via password to see if I can actually play the game. Overall, though, I now have an amazing collection of games on a cute lil' box with some great controllers. I shouldn't be surprised, because I already did this with my NES Classic, but the Super Nintendo is so much more important to me as a system and I'm definitely more excited about this one. I can't wait to show this off to my son!

Really, the only downside to this system is the pain of finding one to buy. Thankfully, I'm not a big fan of the N64, so I should be able to skip the next round of Classics and avoid the headaches of hunting one of these things down.
I used Hakchi last night too, and it is indeed awesome. The vast majority of games work perfectly and even support the rewind feature, which I wasn't expecting. I had to use the Retroarch workaround for a few random games like Super Street Fighter 2 but that wasn't a hassle. I even got random things like BS The Legend of Zelda (with the fan translation and time limit removed) to work flawlessly!

I'm debating if I want to add some GBA games at some point...I like having the mini dedicated to only one console, but I've always thought of the GBA as a pocket SNES...
Old 10-10-2017, 07:53 AM
Find Your Reason

So how well do the custom-chip games work on this? I assume Stunt Race FX would work fine if Star Fox does, but what about, say, Mega Man X2?

I'm also wondering if there's a way to play Battleclash on this...
Old 10-10-2017, 08:01 AM
To the Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
So how well do the custom-chip games work on this? I assume Stunt Race FX would work fine if Star Fox does, but what about, say, Mega Man X2?

Mega Man X2 was one of the games that I ran through Retroarch. Apparently it works but with significant sound issues. After setting up the workaround it runs pretty well, and as Becksworth said the save state functionality works but it's missing some of the SNES Mini's features (no custom borders, rewind function, etc.)
Old 10-10-2017, 08:21 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I want to say that X2 used its custom chip for music alongside the wireframe bits, same with X3.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post

I think it depends on the game. X2 seemed to work perfectly fine for me with the default emulator, but I don't know that game too well, so there might be some audio missing that I'm not noticing or something.

I thought I heard somewhere that all the super scope games crash on the default emulator. I'd imagine they would load fine in Retroarch, but I'm not sure how you would control them without something that can approximate the super scope like a mouse, touch screen, or wiimote.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:13 AM
Life depends on change

Default heads up

According to Gamestop's Twitter, they'll be getting more stock of SNES Classics this week for anyone who hasn't gotten one yet.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:48 PM
BAG

Think Geek is going to sell some at can unknown time Wednesday afternoon.
I just got an email from them.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:07 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

ThinkGeek is owned by Gamestop so that makes sense. Going to try to fetch one as a stocking stuffer for the kids. The little one discovered Super Mario World and he thinks it's the bee's knees. Because it is.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:07 PM
HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?

Well, I'll be stopping at Gamestop for the codes for the new legendary Pokemon and probably to pre-order the new games. So I'll probably get one and make it the present for my brother.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:34 PM

Okay, I just had a scare with trying to add a new retroarch core to mine. Fortunately, I was able to get back to where I had it after messing around with it for another 90 minutes. I think all I ended up losing was a two hour save in Secret of Evermore. I think I'm done modding this. My fiancé bought this for me, so she'd probably be understandably upset if I bricked it...
Old 10-10-2017, 08:05 PM
oh my car

The last interview, Kirby Super Star, is up.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:01 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Managed to get one on ThinkGeek today, provided they don't cancel the order. They were all gone in less than a minute. Website crashed literally a few seconds after I submitted my order but I got the confirmation email so here's hoping.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:37 AM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Today I had half a day at work, got out, went to the Gamestop in the mall attached to my workplace. They had two (extras? I dunno.) sitting on the counter, and I asked if one would be available to buy. Immediately a guy called in looking to get one. So looks like they're sold out there now.

I still need to make a spot for it, which shouldn't be too hard, but fired it up and working great! I apparently lost a little progress, since hitting the home button on the controller boots you to the game select and doesn't take you to a menu to create a restore point like on virtual console.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Sudden chomper

Last night I updated the firmware on my Retro Receiver and now I can use my 8BitDo SFC30 controller with the SNES Classic. It's pretty neat, but the ones that come with the SNES Classic are so good that I'm not convinced it's worth making the switch. Going wireless is pretty nice, though... Maybe I'll use the official controllers for fast-paced games and switch over to wireless if I'm playing an RPG or something that doesn't require precision inputs. Either way, it's really cool that I have this option and I didn't have to buy anything new to make it possible.

What's also really cool is Tetris Attack. Man, this game is fun! Simple to pick up, very challenging to master. I've already converted a couple of my friends over to it and I think it may become a go-to game whenever they're around. I've also added Tetris Battle Gaiden, which is a SFC head-to-head Tetris game where each player has super moves they can use. That one's a little harder to pick up and play, so I don't know if we'll bust it out quite as often.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:03 PM

GAMESTOP RIGHTN OW

edit ITS GONE
Old 10-11-2017, 12:05 PM

Not anymore.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:32 AM
I'm kind of over memes.

My rabbit bit the cable on my controller and snapped it clean in two. I'm devastated.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:45 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
My rabbit bit the cable on my controller and snapped it clean in two. I'm devastated.
It's a call for attention. Go out and play with your rabbit before it does something more foolish like alcohol or drugs.

(If the cable's clean cut then it's not that hard to fix, and any electronic repair shop should be able to do it for you - or use a classic controller, with the bonus that the home button makes interacting with the SNES mini so much friendlier)
Old 10-12-2017, 12:12 PM
hidden in snow

I would contact Nintendo first, they are really good on hardware repairs for new systems, and may not even charge for a repair or replacement.

You may be able to fix it yourself, too, as long as the wires are color coded. Strip back the insulation from both the cable and the individual wires, wrap them together, and use electrical tape to bind it all. There may be a shielding mesh around it too that you may need to bridge with a short piece of wire, but they're usually there for interference and not for actual button signals.

If the wires aren't colored, it's a bigger job, and you'll have to check pinouts with multimeters. Leave that to a repair site.

Edit: http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/...imote_plug.jpg
This pinout shows there are 5 wires in the cable, and others show they are all different colors. Should be easy to repair, probably don't even need wire nuts.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:37 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

ThinkGeek sent my tracking info, so I guess the order went through. My 7-year-old will be pleased as punch on Xmas morning.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Curious Young Gent

I thought these would be more readily accessible here like the NES classic still is, but hasn't counted on no-one stocking many of the PAL ones. The purple brick is enough of a turnoff to dispel the haze and remind myself that the retropie already has everything I'd want on it anyway.

But if I do find another PAL one going for under 1k rmb...
Old 10-12-2017, 08:38 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becksworth View Post
I think it depends on the game. X2 seemed to work perfectly fine for me with the default emulator, but I don't know that game too well, so there might be some audio missing that I'm not noticing or something.

I thought I heard somewhere that all the super scope games crash on the default emulator. I'd imagine they would load fine in Retroarch, but I'm not sure how you would control them without something that can approximate the super scope like a mouse, touch screen, or wiimote.
Well, there are original SNES-to-SNES Mini adapters now, so it would be an interesting experiment to get one of those, hook it up to the Super Scope 6 sensor, and see if the bazooka registers on the corresponding games on the Mini
Old 10-13-2017, 08:04 AM
hidden in snow

The Super Scope used functions of CRT technology to work, so without extensive hardware and software changes, it will never work on modern TVs. Even if you have a CRT with HDMI input, it probably wouldn't work due to resolution differences. SNES would be expecting a 240p or 480i signal, so the timing on the raster gun would be different on a 720p signal, especially one with the added borders.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:33 AM

Makes me wonder if a HDMI-to-composite/component adapter would work for putting it on a CRT, or if it would just make a complete dog's breakfast out of the timing and precision.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:44 AM
To the Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I have heard about Gun Hazard for years but never bothered to play it until I added it to the SNES Mini. I played it for the first time last night and wow, it is pretty great! I wasn't expecting the soundtrack to be so good, for one thing.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:35 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willm View Post
I have heard about Gun Hazard for years but never bothered to play it until I added it to the SNES Mini. I played it for the first time last night and wow, it is pretty great! I wasn't expecting the soundtrack to be so good, for one thing.
Heck yeah! The game has some pretty striking scenes, too. There's a boss fight in a desert at sunset that is at least as "holy shit" as iconic scenes from Xenogears.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:37 PM

I don't know if it has brought up here, but it has only came to my attention today that the version of Rock and Roll Racing found on Blizzard's legacy freeware page (https://us.battle.net/account/download/?show=classic) is just the old snes rom packed with ZSnes, if you're looking for something to add to your modded SNES Classic. Lost Vikings and Blackthorne are the DOS versions, unfortunately.

Also, it appears to be a paired down demo version according to read me that comes with it. Still interesting.

Tags
a whiner is you , chip shortages , emulation , f-zero chance to get one , kirby's dream crusher , link to the preorders , lucy holding the football , nintendo , play it never , sadism , scalp fox 2 , scalp it loud , snes , snes classic edition , star fox 2??? , super stock tracker bros. , tinyconsole.com , why no chrono trigger?