The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-10-2017, 12:01 PM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Gone back to finish up Spectre of Torment and man alive it's so frigging good. The level design is just astonishing in places. The ways they find to make gimmicks seem fresh again. Great game
Old 10-11-2017, 07:46 AM
King Of Space-Time

They added the Battletoads fight to the PC versions.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:55 AM
Sudden chomper

I've been replaying this for my son (who is obsessed with all things Mega Man-related) and it's driving home my one real gripe about the game: the levels are way too long. They're mostly filled with cool stuff, but every time I die and see how many checkpoints are left in the level, I just get discouraged. As a wise man Alixsar once said, it's like too much steak.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:41 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I'm pretty sure that most of the SK levels are in line with classic MM level lengths though?
Old 10-11-2017, 08:46 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
I'm pretty sure that most of the SK levels are in line with classic MM level lengths though?
Not even close. Take it from someone who has played a whole dang lot of Mega Man over the last year. I'd say they're easily twice as long on average.

Admittedly, some of the extra length comes from Shovel Knight's fondness for bottomless pits and spike traps. Lots of instant deaths, which is mitigated by the unlimited lives, but which stretches the levels out a lot unless you're really good.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:48 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Huh, alright then. I always felt most MM levels were a bit long, so SK being the same didn't really bother me.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:50 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Huh, alright then. I always felt most MM levels were a bit long, so SK being the same didn't really bother me.
It also just occurred to me that a bit chunk of every SK level is optional stuff. If you were making a beeline for the boss, you'd finish them in probably half the time. But I know that I can beat a MM level in 5-7 minutes for the most part, whereas a SK level takes me a good 15-20 most of the time. Which is partly because I'm always trying to clear out the hidden sections to get more money and items.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:51 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Yeah, Shovel Knight's stages are long. I personally really like that aspect to it, because it feels like the levels really get to develop themselves and their gimmicks to a greater degree than most platform games allow, but there's no denying it's exhausting. Each time I've played the game (and expansions), I've had to take a break after a level or two.

This may also be why I like Specter's mode the most; between his movement speed and the mode cutting out the world map, I find it plays much breezier.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:44 AM
Not a Beer

Yeah TBH I think that's a big part of why I kinda burned out about 2/3 of the way through the original campaign. I'll get back to it at some point...
Old 10-11-2017, 09:50 AM
Chief Servbot

To me Shovel Knight's stages are about the perfect length for a platfomer
Old 10-11-2017, 12:20 PM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

I usually only play one per session. They are long, but dense.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:00 PM

I think they're long because they're so dense. If you played Shovel Knight like a Mega Man game, you'd blow through them very quickly. But because you're always poking around for treasure and secrets, the stages take a lot longer.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:22 PM
Space dad

My son loooooooves to have me play through multiple Shovel Knight stages on his behalf, and even though I'm acclimated I still find a full stage a lot to bite off at once sometimes. Some more than others (King Knight? No problem! Tinker Knight? Hooboy).

Tags
aharddays knight , butt butt , butt mode , dig in! , justice in spades , mobile gear?! , now with plague knight! , prime thy potions , propeller rats , shield butt , shovel knight , shovel ware , shovelry , stay thy fork , strike the earth , who asked for battletoads , yacht club