The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-11-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
The heavily starched cape, the Colossus/Cable-like metallic bands on his limbs, the preposterous arm cannon(s), and the unfortunate spikes that would cut him to ribbons before hurting anyone else, miiiight not spell "Liefeld" (he has feet and his crotch isn't speedlined) but they do spell "early-90s Liefeld wannabe".
I do believe that is the work of Jim Valentino, who is indeed one of the Image founders alongside the Robgoblin (Shadowhawk, whose gimmick was that he paralyzed criminals for life by breaking their spines instead of just killing them, was his). Like many superhero artists in the 90s, he was going through A Phase.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:51 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Are you all saying that picture is an amalgam?
Old 05-12-2017, 02:43 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Hey I saw Guardians 2! I wish it didn't have a villain. For a while there I was expecting it not to, until it started hinting at a twist. So that was a bit of a bummer, but I still liked this one more than the first. Just felt like it was able to focus more on the characters this time, even though the pacing was a bit off during the middle third.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:24 PM
We just don't know.

Guardians 2 was GotG all right. It was fun. I can't say it was better or worse than the first. Drax was good comic relief but it felt like he had more of a "sense of humor" in this one instead of his deadpan straight-faced stuff from the first. ("Nothing goes over my head. I am too fast. I would catch it." is still one of my favorite lines.) I dunno if that felt worse or better or anything, just different.

My secret favorite line, for some reason: "I DON'T KNOW WHAT CHEERS IS!"

I thought Gamora and Nebula had a nice arc, and the whole thing with Yondu was pretty well done.

I felt like the final battle where they're ostensibly fighting an entire planet and it turns into punch-mans was stretching a bit. He's just an extension of the planet, right? That's not him, is it? Like, it didn't make sense that doing anything to Kurt Russell would have even the slightest point beyond stopping that specific kurt russell from punching you. Like cutting a hair off a giant. Squishing him with the spaceship shouldn't have bought them even a moment of time, or stopped the tendrils from draining Quill,
should it have?
Old 05-12-2017, 10:01 PM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Drax was good comic relief but it felt like he had more of a "sense of humor" in this one instead of his deadpan straight-faced stuff from the first. ("Nothing goes over my head. I am too fast. I would catch it." is still one of my favorite lines.) I dunno if that felt worse or better or anything, just different.
It's character development! He's learning to let down his guard a bit and enjoy things that aren't directly related to murder. I took some of his more over-the-top moments (like screaming with laughter when Mantis revealed Peter's love for Gamora, and demanding she "humiliate" him next) as him trying a little too hard to fit in with the rest of the Guardians, and still not quite having a handle yet on what's funny and what isn't.*

Quote:
I felt like the final battle where they're ostensibly fighting an entire planet and it turns into punch-mans was stretching a bit. He's just an extension of the planet, right? That's not him, is it? Like, it didn't make sense that doing anything to Kurt Russell would have even the slightest point beyond stopping that specific kurt russell from punching you. Like cutting a hair off a giant. Squishing him with the spaceship shouldn't have bought them even a moment of time, or stopped the tendrils from draining Quill,
should it have?
I get what you mean, but earlier in the film Ego mentions that he needs to return to the planet every so often or else his Kurt Russell avatar would wither and die. That wouldn't be a concern to him if he had an infinite supply of expendable Kurt Russells, so I would guess he actually doesn't. Also, they're not real clear about this, but I got the sense that he didn't send out thousands of clones of himself to plant seeds across all the worlds, but rather that a single Kurt Russell did it one by one over the course of many centuries. All of this suggests to me that a significant portion of Ego's essence is invested in the Kurt Russell avatar, making him a point of vulnerability.

EDIT:

* I just realized that Rocket may have accidentally had more of an influence on Drax than he realized in the first movie, where he theatrically fake-laughs at Peter's 12% of a plan and then insists that it was the most real, authentic, hysterical laugh of his entire life. No way would GotG1 Drax have the capability to discern Rocket's sarcasm in that scene. "This is how people laugh when they find something genuinely funny! I will emulate this."**

** I also just realized that I'm vastly overthinking the motivation behind Drax's weirdly loud laughter
Old 05-13-2017, 01:01 AM
EMOJO JOJO

So this character they teased, you say that
he's basically Devil Homura, or at least the fandom interpretation of her?
Old 05-13-2017, 05:05 AM
Fifth Business

I saw this as well! I found it quite a bit less funny than the first one, but found it worked MUCH better as a cosmic adventure, so ended up actually liking it more, and it definitely functioned on an emotional level towards the end that the first movie never even attempted. Yondu's death itself didn't hit me that hard, but when the Ravager funeral began? MOVED. VERY MOVED. And agreed with other folks that this also had one of the few examples of a genuinely good MCU villain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
It's character development! He's learning to let down his guard a bit and enjoy things that aren't directly related to murder. I took some of his more over-the-top moments (like screaming with laughter when Mantis revealed Peter's love for Gamora, and demanding she "humiliate" him next) as him trying a little too hard to fit in with the rest of the Guardians, and still not quite having a handle yet on what's funny and what isn't.*
That scene struck me as forced at first, but when Mantis started 'reading' Drax's emotions and it caused her to turn and ALSO just start pointing and laughing at Peter uproariously in the same frame as Drax, I found it goddamn hilarious. I was a fan of Mantis and Drax's interactions in general; I like it when comedy works by having two characters that are weird in different ways bounce off each other and escalate the weirdness rather than having a Straight Man present who just strangles every joke's momentum with an 'OH, YOU ARE SO SILLY', and Drax and Mantis was a very good case of the first type.

(Gamora was way too much of the second type in the first movie as its designated Straight Man, and was thus my least favorite character in it, though I liked her much more in this one)

I also found the humor itself to be a bit more sci-fi in Vol. 2, as if more of the humor came from playing with sci-fi concepts than the first one's jokes did. This quality actually gave it a bit of a Futurama feel at times to me...both the joke above, and others, like the arcade war-room of the Sovereigns, really seemed like gags that could have come straight from there.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:19 AM
EMOJO JOJO

I agree with Deptford. A very rocky start with some iffy jokes that got better and became one of the most thoughtful and affecting films in this entire goddamn franchise.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:44 PM
Mystery Contraption

Now that I've seen I Hate My Space Dad, I can finally click on all those inviting blue bars! Yay!

The short version is that it didn't work quite as well as the first one did as a comedy, but it definitely told a much better story. I strongly agree that Ego is one of the best MCU villains, and would even if there were more than one that was worth commenting on and, honestly, I think that's just as much on Kurt Russels personal charm as it is on the script. And while they were mostly used as comedy relief again, Drax and Rocket got some of the most emotionally affecting scenes.

Well, behind the one-two punch of Ego causally mentioning killing Meredith and then smashing the walkman. That one got some visceral reactions from the audience.

Everything about the Sovereign felt like a jokier Star Trek episode, except when it veered sharply into Futurama.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:30 PM
Just bear with me

As I said on my Twitter page... boy, for an omnipotent super being, Space Kurt Russell sure is a dumbass.

"Son, together we will absorb the galaxy! Also, I killed your mother. You know, the woman who gave your life meaning and purpose."
"BWA?!"

Amazing special effects at the beginning, though, huh? He looked five years away from The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes. Bet he's asking his agent how he can make that permanent.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:47 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Well, Ego. He assumes that Peter, being his son, is exactly like him; he may love his mother, but the mission is more important. Turns out that's not the case. You can see this all over the place in 1 as well.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:38 AM
Just bear with me

It just struck me as an odd bit of hubris from a being who's lived for millions of years and traveled across the universe. Maybe he can't fully experience the emotions of other life forms, but he should at least be able to understand them.

Eh, I dunno. Whatever greases the wheels of the plot, I guess. I was kind of surprised by all the product placement in this film. That really annoyed me about Man of Steel ("quick Zod, let's have a fight in the IHOP!"), but it was more fitting here. A major element of the Guardians series is childhood nostalgia, so it makes sense to see an old Brazier Dairy Queen at the start of the movie. They really took it too far with the Pac-Man reference, though... what are you, that guy from Psych?

Seeing the Zune at the end was a little weird, but I guess that was their way of giving Quill a more convenient way to play music while still making it feel antiquated. "This is what everyone on Earth is using now!" Says Steve Ballmer and absolutely nobody else.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:20 AM
Mystery Contraption

I think I was the only one in the theatre to laugh at the Zune joke.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I think I was the only one in the theatre to laugh at the Zune joke.
I was laughing in mine. I'm currently hoping that in Avengers 3 Peter shows it off to Tony Stark, trying to impress him.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:37 AM
noble beast

The zune joke... was funny.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:53 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Seeing the Zune at the end was a little weird, but I guess that was their way of giving Quill a more convenient way to play music while still making it feel antiquated. "This is what everyone on Earth is using now!" Says Steve Ballmer and absolutely nobody else.
Yeah, that's the joke
Old 05-15-2017, 07:19 AM
Find Your Reason

On the one hand, giving Peter a "no-skip" CD Walkman would've probably fit the world better (and would've opened a realm of gags as the damn thing skipped even when sitting absolutely still) but, on the other, the audience appreciated the Zune joke better.

I just hope Peter's Zune isn't hit by the leap year overflow bug

Also, my parents are in town and are hyped to see this movie with me. This... is probably THE comic-bookiest movie in existence and I don't even know if I got all the references, but all I know is I was the only one in a packed theater to laugh in recognition of the Watchers, so it's gonna be interesting trying to explain everything to them!
Old 05-15-2017, 07:23 AM
Mystery Contraption

My favorite part of the Watcher cameo is that Stan Lee is referencing all his other cameos. He's been the same guy each time.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:37 AM
It's all good, man

That's actually not possible unless his character is not human, which is unconfirmed, so I don't see it as canon.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:42 AM
Are You Sure About That?

He's still talking about it, so....?
Old 05-15-2017, 07:51 AM
Mystery Contraption

I mean, this same movie had an entire planet that looked exactly like Kurt Russel so it's not exactly out of the realm of possibility.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:21 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
He's still talking about it, so....?
Huh?

What I mean is that he played a general in The First Avenger, and he's still alive 70 years later in the current day movies. If you think they're all canonically the same man, then he's not a human.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:30 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Huh?

What I mean is that he played a general in The First Avenger, and he's still alive 70 years later in the current day movies. If you think they're all canonically the same man, then he's not a human.
When he sat among the Watchers and said "This one time I was a Fedex guy" (emphasis mine) I interpreted it to mean he was something of a parody of the Watchers themselves, and he had taken many different jobs just to, well, watch various events, that's why they were so unimpressed with him. So the joke to me was that "Haha, Watchers!" + "Haha, he IS an alien! That explains everything!"
Old 05-15-2017, 08:42 AM
It's all good, man

I mean, what I'm getting at is I took it as a joke about the fan theory that Stan Lee is the same person in each cameo, not a confirmation of it.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:47 AM
whatever it takes

The funniest part about the possibility of him being the same person is that he met Tony Stark face-to-face at two Stark Enterprises events (IM 1&2) but still can't get his name right in Civil War
Old 05-15-2017, 11:03 AM
Highway To HFIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I mean, what I'm getting at is I took it as a joke about the fan theory that Stan Lee is the same person in each cameo, not a confirmation of it.
It was a joke, about that thing, but it was also in the movie proper, so it is now canon.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:28 AM
Interstellar Private Eye

I took it as Stan Lee himself (or a MCU version of himself) talking about his cameos, in-universe. Like, there are comic books about the Marvel characters in the print universe.

It's just a funny gag and not meant to be analyzed. I don't think, at least.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:34 AM
It's all good, man

No, let's keep talking about it
Old 05-15-2017, 11:34 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanfrugalj View Post
It's just a funny gag and not meant to be analyzed. I don't think, at least.
Hi, you must be new here. Welcome to the Internet!
Old 05-15-2017, 11:36 AM
whatever it takes

Stan Lee's cameos are the Rosetta Stone to unlocking true understanding the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe and I am uninterested in hearing opinions to the contrary

Tags
brodude cinema , car door shield , cheadlicious , horny for lewis tan , horny for spider-man , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , mehhumans , movies , parker posey as , stan lee cameo