The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 04-24-2017, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the heads up on hobby wave, got a lot of paint and a couple of kits on the way.
Built an MG hiyaku shiki 2.0. Have a little Z gundam display now.

Also did an MG rick dias. It was pretty good until I got to the leg armor. I had trouble getting seams on the right leg to seal. resorted to thin cement, but it left it kinda ugly. Gonna try to fix it up with the paint eventually. What's with the gunpla evolution thing? I haven't seen a review of that z gundam yet.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:03 PM
Not a Beer

Shiiiiiiny. Is there paint on that Hyaku Shiki or is the metallic plastic nice on its own?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s p a c e f o l d View Post
Built an MG hiyaku shiki 2.0. Have a little Z gundam display now.

Also did an MG rick dias. It was pretty good until I got to the leg armor. I had trouble getting seams on the right leg to seal. resorted to thin cement, but it left it kinda ugly. Gonna try to fix it up with the paint eventually. What's with the gunpla evolution thing? I haven't seen a review of that z gundam yet.
Everything looks real swell! Love the Argama/AEUG team! Now you just need a Mk II and a Nemo to complete your AEUG team.

Those are some thicc seams on the legs, but I bet some careful sanding with increasingly finer grain would solve the problem after you used your plastic cement.

As for your question about the Gundam Evolution thing: it's a branding line for Gunpla meant to build up to and celebrate Gunpla's 40th anniversary.

Quote:
The “GUNPLA EVOLUTION PROJECT” is a project leading up to 2020 that will target all Gunpla brands including HG, MG, RG, PG, and more and will establish an “EVOLUTION POINT.” Mobile [action], an easily assembled [build], and colored molding [color]; this is a project that proposes to users trials that aim to further evolve Gunpla from various angles for its 40th anniversary.
I don't know if that means anything cohesive. But the Zeta Evolution Project specifically is basically just a potential HG Revive Zeta, but rebranded, which is overdue since the old HG Zeta is showing its age very poorly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Shiiiiiiny. Is there paint on that Hyaku Shiki or is the metallic plastic nice on its own?
That's the color of the plastic out of the box. It's a really great color gold. I have the same kit sitting in my closet waiting to get built one day. It's actually a relatively expensive kit, and a lot of that added cost is from the gold plating. Kirin you seem more like HGs are your thing. There's a Revive Hyaku Shiki that's very recent, and it's a great looking kit sans the bad choice of gold for it. However, you can get "Hyaku Shiki Gold" Mr. Color paint that looks like the above MG, and painting that HG with that paint makes it look super svelte. IIRC I wrote about it a few pages back maybe?
Old 04-25-2017, 08:06 AM
LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY

Yeah I keep meaning to pick up some of that gold for my HG Hyaku-Shiki, who will remained imprisoned in his box until the awful swirly gold plastic can be covered up.

Spacefold, your only choice now is to buy four Nemos. That way, you can have one on each side of your room so that you can always gaze upon its beautiful teal no matter which direction you are facing.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:32 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
That's the color of the plastic out of the box. It's a really great color gold. I have the same kit sitting in my closet waiting to get built one day. It's actually a relatively expensive kit, and a lot of that added cost is from the gold plating. Kirin you seem more like HGs are your thing. There's a Revive Hyaku Shiki that's very recent, and it's a great looking kit sans the bad choice of gold for it. However, you can get "Hyaku Shiki Gold" Mr. Color paint that looks like the above MG, and painting that HG with that paint makes it look super svelte. IIRC I wrote about it a few pages back maybe?
Haha, honestly I prefer MG buuuuut I have no steady income right now, so. (Which is why I jumped on several of the IBO 1/100 line, since they're relatively cheap.)

I actually have a really nice gold paint marker (I think I posted an IBO mobile worker I painted with it just for fun sever pages back), but I don't think I'd trust that to last through trying to paint most of an entire kit. Fantastic for highlights though.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:03 AM

Silver and gold sharpies are clutch for model kit details. All the chipping effect on my Grimgerde I did with a silver sharpie:

Old 04-25-2017, 06:01 PM
Not a Beer

Yeah, I remember that from a long ways back and it looks fantastic. I should try it myself on something, just haven't decided what. The 08th MS Gouf Custom might be a good candidate since all the mechs in that show are beaters, though I'm not sure how well silver would show on the light blue. Could probably dig out some spare pieces to test it...
Old 04-28-2017, 10:10 PM

I picked up all of the modern HGFC G Gundam kits a while ago and decided to start building them after getting hype on the G Gundam blurays. And they're largely pretty great kits. They look better than the old MGs, the engineering on them is light years better, and are almost as poseable. They all require some amount of painting to make up for the lack of color separation, but it's nothing that's out of the ordinary for a HG.

HGFC Shining Gundam:

I like this kit, but it takes a lot of extra work and painting to make it look right. And the transforming bits are flimsy. But the end product looks good. There's still a few pieces I need to paint gold or grey here and there, but I think it turned out good.

HGFC Master Gundam:

This kit has almost zero color separation problems, besides the yellow stickers on the wings/cape, so it was a very pleasant build. Also, the Master Gundam is probably my favorite villain mobile suit in the franchise. The HG also comes coupled with stuff to make Fuunsaiki, but I'll make/show that later.

Unlike the MG, the HG Master Gundam's wings unfold into a cape. Well, it's not so much 'unfold' as it simply comes with swappable parts to put a cape on. It's still super rad looking, and nice to have the option. The back here of the Shining Gundam I'm particularly proud of. The rectangular vents on the backpack were molded blue and connected to the rest of the backpack, so it took very careful/delicate hand painting to get it to look right, and I think I did a good job. The blue stickers on the sides of the calves however look bad. I plan to go back and hand-paint that, but I'll need to get my hands on some top-coat if I want to both paint and panel line it there.

Both the Master & Shining Gundams come with these comically oversized shining/darkness fingers. They look cool, but they're very flimsy, and mostly only for weird perspective photography.

Up next is the God Gundam, Fuunsaiki, and a Nobel Gundam...!
Old 04-29-2017, 08:38 AM

Is the Nobel back in print? IIRC for a while it was stupid expensive.

Congrats on the detail of the Core Fighter. I had to paint similar details on the MG Shining and it looked like shit! That was the kit that got me back into Gundam modeling circa 2013, though. Are you fully painting these kits, or are you just doing lining/top coat and painting where detail is necessary?

I love that the HG Master can pull of the "arms folded" look pretty well. I've handled the Fuunsaiki, by the way, and it's basically a glorified flight stand - it's still an awesome robot horse, but don't expect it to DO much.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:28 AM

Yeah, it's been back for a while. Bandai has been stocking reprints pretty consistently month after month, so it should be easy to get a hold of now for cheap. I picked up both a Nobel and a Berserker-mode Nobel Gundam a while back for relatively little. Both are in stock on Amazon at reasonableish prices.

I'm only doing details right now. I haven't built up the courage/equipment to do full-on paint jobs. Someday.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:46 AM
Not a Beer

Both Shining and Master look great, and I have plenty of paint markers in the needed colors - dangit Wist, you keep tempting me with kits I'd like to own. Backlog first though... gotta find some time.

I almost picked up a Nobel super cheap recently from some web site, but it turned out shipping would've more than doubled the price. Ah well.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Both Shining and Master look great, and I have plenty of paint markers in the needed colors - dangit Wist, you keep tempting me with kits I'd like to own.

Being a responsible adult is pretty tops, so wasting money is never good. I do look forwards to every time you can crank a kit out of your backlog though!

I picked up a Space Backpack for my G-Self for a reasonable price and put it together last night:

I've wanted this for a while. It looks ok. It needed a few detail paintings, and in hindsight I probably should have painted a few extra details instead of relying on stickers. Not really sure why it's so expensive (MSRP is ~same as the G-Self) but it's nice to have since I love the G-Self so much. Also, the shield it comes with is super dope. The clear blue plastic bits don't stay down at all, but that wasn't anything plastic cement didn't solve.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:09 AM

Yeah, most of the time custom parts seem to require more paint than suits do, and I've always scratched my head on the price tag for the jetpack.

G-Self is such a cool mech design, though.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:52 PM

Biiiiig update post incoming! I've been making a lot of kits.

Here's the HGFC Fuunsaiki, with the God Gundam on its back:

You were right Dracula, it's basically a statue. But it looks OK. The lack of color separation was diappointing however. I had to paint all the yellow and grey there, and it wouldn't have been much for Bandai to just mold those things the right colors. Did I ever show off the God Gundam? I can't remember. Just like the rest of the modern HGFC kits, it's really good. Better looking than the MG even. It needed some light paint touch ups, but not nearly as much as the Shining Gundam.

Majin Bone: Iron Dragon Bone

I really liked Majin Bone, so I sprung for one of the kits when it went on clearance. This here is about the complexity/size of a HG, with tons of stickers to boot. Majin Bone was a kid's show, so the kit itself was pretty simple. All the gates were the easy-snap variety you find on modern SDs. In fact, this kit had a kinda neat gimmick where you snap out the runners, and then sandwich them together. And the pieces line up and connect, and then you basically snap out whole body parts. It made the kit less interesting to build TBH, but it's a gimmick that seems designed around getting little kids into the hobby. If I had little tykes of my own, a kit like this would probably be pretty cool to give them to try out. It's too bad Majin Bone didn't take off like Bandai wanted; I'd have liked to see the its plamo line fleshed out so that there were Iron and Rare Metal variants of the main cast, as well as a few more villains too.

HGBF Lightning Backpack Mk II

This is actually the second time I made this kit, but the first time I stepped on it and broke it irreparably. It was cheap enough that I just bought another instead of attempting to fix the first one. It makes the Lightning Gundam look real dope, but an action base is basically required if you don't want it falling over backwards.

HGBF Gundam Fenice Rinascita

This was a nice kit. Probably my favorite version of the Wing Gundam. Pretty solid for a Build Fighter variant as well.

Bonus couple pic:

Figure-rise Bust Reina Prowler

In the last year or two, Bandai has been pumping out "Figure-rise busts" of characters from its properties. At first, it was focusing on major protagonists like Kira Yamato, Mikazuki, and Setsuna F. Seiei. I remember seeing prototypes for Amuro and Char, but those have yet to materialize, and lately they've gone full waifu-bait. Bandai made a bunch of Gundam heroines (including TWO Fumina variants), the entire Walkure group from Macross Delta, and a whole boatload of Love Live ones. I picked up a couple out of curiosity to see how they'd go. I got the best Walkure girl from Delta to put with my VF-31. From what I've seen, the kits can have some really bad color separation problems where you need really heavy and bad stickers if you aren't going to paint them, but the Reina Prowler one seems like it's mostly escaped that fate. The only major stickers there are the blue stripes on the sleeves and the black and white cuffs. Some of the Figure-rise busts have proportions and poses that are of questionable taste, but this one is IMO not bad. Dunno if I'd buy more of these, but they make nifty little ornaments for the action bases of your larger kits.

HGFC Nobel Gundam

This was a small, but cute kit to build. Again, pretty well made, I can officially recommend all of the HGFC kits. It's got some good gimmicks like the peace sign hand and the beam ribbon (pics below). It's a pretty small mobile suit so it's not too complicated to build. Which also makes me hard to recommend it unless you really like the Nobel Gundam[/i] or can get it at a decent price. This shouldn't be a $20+ kit for the amount of plastic that comes in the box. It also comes with a set of hands for the God Gundam to equip so it can princess-carry the Nobel Gundam, but I gave up on fiddling with the poses for that and it wasn't working out. The only problems I had with it, besides the normal grrrr color separation issues (the inside of the hair should be grey; couldn't they have simply molded an insert for that?) is the fact that while putting it together I split the mouth-guard piece on the face in half, but I think I repaired it and did a good enough job that you'd never know. Also, I like how the white highlights on the blue part of the shirt are grooves - the kit included white stickers for those stripes, but since it's a nice deep groove, I just poured a little white paint in there and it looks great. So ya, if you like G Gundam, it's worth looking into. I really dunno why Bandai never made a MG of this though. It would sell like hotcakes.

Just as a side note, newly announced gunpla has me -ing. The Revive Blue Destiny, proto-Burning Gundam, HBGF GM, ZZ Ver Ka, and Mega Size Unicorn all look fantastic. The RG Unicorn looks like it's going to be a total grenade though. And man, Bandai is going really hard on the waifus. To add to all the Figure-rise busts I mentioned earlier, they're making a 5th Super Fumina, a "Hyper Gyanko", Gyanko and Fumina Petitgguys, and a China in a Beargguy III costume. I guess that sells, huh? I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen the same thing for some of the IBO girls.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:09 AM

Lightning Gundam with the MK II backpack is such a cool kit. It was the first kit I ever fully airbrushed:

It looks fabulous, but the Tamiya paint chips easily and it's hard to pose it without feeling like I'm going to ruin all my work. The backpack also broke in such a way that it can still hold together attached to his back, but it can't transform into its other mode.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:29 AM
An Animal of Joy

Are you airbrushing directly on the plastic without priming first? Because that would be contributing a lot to your chipping problem. Also doing an all-over clear coat at the end will help too.

Very cool kits!
Old 05-11-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
Are you airbrushing directly on the plastic without priming first? Because that would be contributing a lot to your chipping problem. Also doing an all-over clear coat at the end will help too.

Very cool kits!
I primed with Vallejo (not a good choice for articulated models) and I did a clear coat with Pledge.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:20 AM
An Animal of Joy

Wow, I had to google using Pledge as a clear coat and I got hits for just about every segment of hobby-dom so I guess that's a thing. What's so much more desirable about it than Acrylic, is it just to prevent movable parts from being glued together?
Old 05-11-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
Wow, I had to google using Pledge as a clear coat and I got hits for just about every segment of hobby-dom so I guess that's a thing. What's so much more desirable about it than Acrylic, is it just to prevent movable parts from being glued together?
1. You can get a huge bottle of it for a few dollars that will probably last you forever

2. You can spray it directly out of an airbrush with no need for thinner

3. You can combine it with Tamiya Flat Base to create a matte finish

4. Many other benefits. Here's a good summation of the wonders of Pledge
Old 05-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Not a Beer

Drac, that airbrushed Lightning looks fantastic.

Wist - Man, I love the Fenice. Our Barnes&Noble had one built on display for a long time, but never actually had the kit in stock for me to impulse-buy, alas.

It is weird that there's no MG Nobel.

The Reina looks good, but yeah, some of the other Figure-Rise busts I've seen have some questionable sculpts. On Reina it seems like getting those thick blue stripe stickers to lay right on the wavy sleeve surface would be a pain - was it?
Old 07-28-2017, 03:30 PM

I've taken a relatively long hiatus from building. I think I'm ready to dig back into more kits though. Well, as soon as a few momentary circumstances clear up.
Quote:
The Reina looks good, but yeah, some of the other Figure-Rise busts I've seen have some questionable sculpts. On Reina it seems like getting those thick blue stripe stickers to lay right on the wavy sleeve surface would be a pain - was it?
I can't believe I didn't respond to this back when it was asked. Yeah, it was pretty annoying, but not nearly as annoying as the black and white bandings at the bottom and top of the sleeves. I imagine most of these older figure-rise busts would look a lot better if you paint them, and were really good at painting too so you could add stuff like blush realistically. But they seem to be pretty hit or miss. The Fumina ones look like they'd be really nice OOB and have great engineering, but then you're also left owning a busty bust of a 14 yo girl.

Speaking of Fumina, can you tell yet that the HGBF Super Fumina sold really well for Bandai?

Old 07-30-2017, 02:05 PM
Not a Beer

Lol. The "Winning Fumina" actually calls to mind some seriously old-school mecha girl designs (like stuff from 80s zines), but... yeah, not gonna spend money on any of that.

I also need to get back to my kit backlog one of these days... always too much to do somehow, even when I'm not full-time employed.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:41 PM

I may end up getting one out of morbid curiosity if the price goes down enough and reviews come in that they're good builds. The neat thing about the Winning Fumina is that, if I'm reading things right, is that all of the Winning Gundam armor is removable and makes a functional SD Star Winning Gundam. That's actually really neat! Especially if it ends up being better quality than the regular potato that is the SD Star Winning Gundam.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:24 AM

Yeah, Star Winning was a frustrating build to say the least.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Yeah, Star Winning was a frustrating build to say the least.
It's like the designers said, "Yo, I heard you hate color separation and poseability!"
Old 07-31-2017, 06:34 PM

And it was such a shame, too, because Fumina was great and all the parts with the Star Winning were great.

I went to the trouble of fully painting mine:

Like, it looks pretty fuckin' good, but you can't do all the fun combination stuff without scratching the hell out of the paint!

And then this happened, during the very same photo shoot:

Just look at all this trouble

I kinda backed off of kits for a while after that. Like it was such a weird feeling to be disappointed in a successful build. I liked looking at it but that's all I could do.

I haven't fixed the leg, either.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:15 PM

Damn, that's actually heartbreaking. You did such a good job, too!

I'm going to echo your sentiments too, Fumina and the Winning Gundam were amazing. Best parts of that show, easy. It's really too bad Fumina couldn't have been the actual MC, but we've gotta give boys their self-insert!
Old 08-07-2017, 05:38 AM
Not a Beer

Oof, yeah, that's tragic right there. Looks amazing, though!

Tags
gunpla , gunpla is freedom , model building , plastic-crack