The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 02-11-2017, 01:08 PM
Not a Beer

Haha, I love the old-school arcade announcer voice you've got going on there. Dat reverb nostalgia.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:11 PM
Mystery Contraption

I am ready to buy that already!
Old 02-14-2017, 12:20 AM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Cross posted from the Book forum (and semi-related since it's from an Island Official team member...'s sister)

Hey TT parents of young children! My good friend and colleague's sister is officially a published author and illustrator today with the release of Not Quite Narwhal! I got to read an proof copy and it's got a lot of heart and charm, along with a great message about alternative families. If that sounds like something you're interested in, I hope you'll check it out!

UNRELATED EDIT:

Also a big thanks for the kind words on RPG Arcade! It's still a ways off but we're doing everything we can to make it special so hopefully you'll be seeing a lot more soon!
Old 07-21-2017, 08:52 AM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

So two weeks ago I started on two separate game jam projects - both of which I finished up yesterday! One of them isn't up publicly yet but I'll let you all know as soon as it is. The one that is though is Dead Rising 2600 - a reimagining of Dead Rising for Atari 2600. I made it for the Retro Remake Jam, where you had to remake a game that was at least ten years old (and yes, Dead Rising came out eleven years ago. We're all so very, very old).

It's only for Windows and doesn't support controllers at the moment. More details at the game's dev log. Let me know what y'all think!
Old 07-21-2017, 07:18 PM
supportive burger wife

That was fun! Loved coming across a room full of TVs. I kept forgetting about my food bar though :/ My only comment would be that I had no idea which items the guns were - I thought they were silver cowboy boots or something.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:46 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

It's probably something on my end but it's not responding to keyboard input.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:00 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
It's probably something on my end but it's not responding to keyboard input.
This is gonna sound dumb but do you have a PC controller attached? I was working on getting controller support working but never did nor did I have time to take out the old code, so it may be over riding the keyboard for the controller if that's the case.

Also Kate, thank you for the comments! The gun is a very slightly modified sprite from another Atari game, but it was one I spent a lot of time on and was never really happy with it. Deciphering what Atari sprites are supposed to be is a game in and of itself.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:07 AM

I've played around with this a bit and it's pretty cool! I appreciated thew way that the different areas of the mall were distinguished by their own garish color palettes, which really brought home the Atari 2600 experience!

While I was playing I did suffer a couple of bullshit deaths where I got killed on my return trip through a room by zombies that were unavoidably lingering by the entrance. Aside from that, a lot of the challenge seemed to stem from the number of things the player needs to do at any one time: avoid enemies, protect survivors, navigate the map, and keep track of both the food meter and the locations of food items. This all became even harder in light of most of the weapons seemingly being one-shot items. Then again, it's not like old-school Atari games were known for being easy.

If i had to level one real complaint about this game, it's the same one I'd level against a lot of Atari 2600-styled games I've seen: it's just too darned big. Your dev blog says there are 110 rooms, which is a lot, especially when most of them are very similar-looking intersections. Quite a few 2600 games would create mazes by sub-dividing screens into multiple sections. For example, the mazes in Adventure were four or five screens each, with the entire game clocking in at 30 rooms. Similarly, Solaris had 16 single-screen quadrants to navigate, but used obstacles and inconsistent entry/exit points to make the game more difficult to navigate than the relatively low number of screens would seem to imply. Plus, having fewer screens but more obstacles can be a useful way of allowing the player to notice areas they haven't been able to access yet, providing an impetus for further exploration.

Granted, that kind of fancy design might not make sense when your game is set in a shopping mall. So at the risk of being that guy who's always like "this is how I would have done things completely differently during the two week game jam I didn't participate in," I think the premise of the game would lend itself to more of a Venture style design, with a series of screens representing the mall's corridors and depicting shops that can be zoomed into when the player enters them. The way, among other things, you could use the same selection of weapons and enemies to present the player with a couple distinct sets of challenges: fighting or avoiding zombies and psychos in open areas to navigate from place to place, and having to deal with those same enemies in more confined or obstacle-strewn stores in order to pick up items or rescue survivors.

Actually, now that I think about it, you could probably get much of the same effect by including obstacles in the stores or in a few of the corridor locations; that might make it easier to navigate the otherwise similar-looking corridor areas, as well as making making the stores more distinct from the corridors.

Anyways, those were just some of the thoughts that came to mind while I was being repeatedly killed by zombies. Congrats on making a rad super-retro style game, and thanks for posting it here!
Old 07-22-2017, 12:55 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASandoval View Post
This is gonna sound dumb but do you have a PC controller attached? I was working on getting controller support working but never did nor did I have time to take out the old code, so it may be over riding the keyboard for the controller if that's the case.
That was it. I liked it, I thought the 2600 interpretations of different items was hilarious. My only gripe is that if you start going in one direction and start going diagonally and let go of one of the buttons, you keep going diagonally.

Tags
game development