The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 04-04-2017, 06:23 AM
-ryn

so, i did a raised garden bed.
- I purchased some pre-made aluminum corners. They're hollow so, I used a piece of PVC pipe to act as a stake and left the top off that I plan to use as a receiver for a demountable fence post.
- last time I had a lot of problems with adjacent grass, especially centipede worming its way into the beds from the bottom side. This time, I lined the edges with a weed block fabric. Really determined centipede could still get around it, but I didn't want to prevent the plants inside from putting roots deeper if needed.
- i found a local dirt guy and hauled several pickup truck loads full. My wife stands in the back and pushes it on to the tailgate and then I push it off in the the wheelbarrow and then dump it in the bed. I expected it to be more effort, but it really wasn't too tough.

I planted a bunch of different types of beans and all the pinto beans have sprouted and I've never tried pintos so I'm super excited!
Old 07-17-2017, 01:08 PM
-ryn

Pintos are all harvested and shelled. Final tally was 2 quart bags dried for a 12ft row.

Green beans resulted in 24 12 oz jars canned plus 2 quart bags snapped and frozen and about 2 gallon bags of fresh eaten and given to family from 2 12 ft rows. The plants and dead leaves are totally infested with bean bugs (like lady bugs but yellow)

Lima beans started to dry out. A first pick got me maybe a cup of beans. They just didn't grow into vines. Probably the only "failure" in my crops and I'll still end up harvesting more than I planted, just a really low yield. I wanted to pick some fresh, but had a hard time figuring out which ones to pick.

Purple onions harvested and chopped. I got about 2 1/2 quart bags chopped and frozen. Would have been a full 3 bags but I let a couple of the onions sit too long and they got mushy.

And 10 ears of corn are chilling in the fridge. Hoping for another 20 to be ready soon.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:37 PM
actually an eevee

Thinking about having a yard again after so many years has me kind of nerding out on thinking about gardening. Researching winter/fall vegetables and thinking about seeds to buy.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:42 PM
actually an eevee

been playing the save the seeds and transplant everything games with my dad

wisteria cuttings

tomato seeds

cucumber seeds

cucumber transplant

watermelon seeds

basil seedlings

some kind of hot pepper seeds

four o'clock seeds (these grew well in so cal and I actually brought some back with me, but now I'll have for-sure color combinations)

hydrangea cutting
Old 08-27-2017, 03:45 PM
actually an eevee

checked the tomato and cucumber seeds today, and it seems like some of the tomato seeds had begun to germinate, so I drained them and took the ones that showed the most development and stuck them in a container of peat moss; we'll see whether the rest that I'm saving for drying will still be OK after disrupting their slumber.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:58 PM
beech i told u

I love your updates on this Lady! Please continue to show us your budding garden!

It's making me wish I had access to some good soil again. One day, perhaps...
Old 08-28-2017, 02:49 PM
gatchapon 3*

this summer, i've gotten 20 lbs of zucchini, 40-50 lbs of tomatoes (sungolds, early girls, and san marzanos), 30 lbs of potatoes, about 15 of onions and garlic, and my stuff is still going. gardening is the best.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:54 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
this summer, i've gotten 20 lbs of zucchini, 40-50 lbs of tomatoes (sungolds, early girls, and san marzanos), 30 lbs of potatoes, about 15 of onions and garlic, and my stuff is still going. gardening is the best.
I really miss it. Also, fantastic haul!
Old 08-28-2017, 04:32 PM
the :motion: stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I really miss it. Also, fantastic haul!

Tags
..."bitches"? , bitches , herbs , vegetables