The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 06-10-2017, 12:46 PM
Not a Beer

Yeah, I was actually looking into doing that sort of thing for car decals at one point, though I got distracted and never followed through on the project. But once you find a place that prints vinyl decals, they'll be used to handling custom orders, so just call 'em up and have a chat about what you need and they should be happy to give you an estimate.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:52 PM
Just bear with me

I actually did get some decals from some guy, but that was for an entirely different project... one which I'm happy to say was a success. Let me dig that up real quick...

(takes a lot longer than he planned to find the image)

Basically the dude took the inverse of the image I wanted to make and turned it into a vinyl stencil. I then spray painted over it, peeled off the vinyl, then added a clear coat to hold it in place. It turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself!

(The Game Boy Advance was purchased as-is from a member of CAG, and holy geez was it in bad shape... scratches everywhere. I took it apart and swapped the case for an orange one I purchased from a Chinese seller. It works fine now, and it's even the extra bright model!)

Maybe I should contact this guy again and see if he works with printed vinyl, not just single color stencils. I don't know if his prices would be any better than a sign shop or online service, though.

EDIT: Er, how do I make images not-so-gigantic here...?
Old 06-10-2017, 04:45 PM
crazy sniffable

Woah, that looks fantastic! And totally worth a shot to see if he does printing too.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:55 AM
Just bear with me

Much appreciated! And yeah, I just contacted the guy about this. He thinks he can do it, but he hasn't quoted me a price. We'll see how things work out.

Oh, by the way! Here's the joystick as it currently stands. It's... not pretty, because as it turns out the wooden box that I purchased from a thrift to use for this project is a lot cheaper than it first appears. It's not so much solid wood as an amalgam of wood, plywood, cardboard (???), and felt disguised as velvet. This thing was a mess to cut into, let me tell you.

I screwed tiny buttons into the case for start, select, et al. I wanted to have a larger metal button in the center for Home, and it's there, but I had to brace it with a circle of black plastic because the hole I made for it was too large. I'll substitute it with metal washers or SOMETHING later.

The joystick is just for show right now. I may wire it up tomorrow, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea if I'm going to make the box look more presentable (and oh lord does it need it).
Old 06-11-2017, 07:11 AM
Safe Space

But where do you put the cockatiel food?
Old 06-11-2017, 07:32 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
>implying ArugulaZ isn't a cockatiel
Old 06-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Er... into my cockatiels, typically. Sorry, my table is ridiculously cluttered. I could probably use a more season-appropriate tablecloth, too.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:42 AM
le petite mort

I know that wasn't the intention, but I can't unsee the Magic colors from your arcade console.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:27 AM
Just bear with me

I had to look up MTG to know what you meant. Yep, definitely a coincidence. I wanted to use primary colors to match the ones on Xbox systems, even though the stick isn't Xbox compatible by default (it needs an adapter for that).

But since you brought it up, you know what really seems weird to me? The colors used by the Playstation controller. Instead of red, green, blue, and yellow, it's... pink, cyan, seafoam, and vermillion? They usually don't cover the whole buttons so people don't think about it much, but still.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:54 AM
actually an eevee

I would call it more of a periwinkle
Old 06-19-2017, 10:01 AM
MEGADRIVE OVERDRIVE

it's not pink it's fuchsia the playstation colors are weird. I have a lot of trouble distinguishing between the pink and red in general. awful for QTEs
Old 06-19-2017, 11:14 AM
Just bear with me

This is what I'm talking about! The colors on Playstation buttons are so esoteric we're having debates about just what colors they are!

Tags
making time