The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-05-2017, 03:38 PM

I'm having way more fun with this than I ever thought I would. Also for being out so long it's nice that I can get all the movies and endings for all the previous games through the in game fight money. Bryan and King are still monsters and I love kings NJPW outfit because it turns his rage art into the Rain Maler which is just amazing.

I'm still struggling with learning movies and I wish it had a trials system to learn. I can go into practice and get a move list, but some visual notification besides watching the demo while I do it would be nice. I'm really happy with the story. It's something I wanted for a long time for the series.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:57 PM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

I've been watching these video series called Guilty Gear Xrd Crash Course and AirDashers Academy, and I feel like I have a way better grasp of the fundamentals now. While I might not be any good, and accidentally mash out Volcanic Viper waaaaay more than I intend to, I finally feel like I know enough to know some of the things I don't know, if that makes sense. Things like "how do I get all-up-ins as Sol," and "how do I work around I-no spamming that move with the horizontal lightning stuff."

I finally played an online match in Xrd Rev2, and unlike the first twenty online matches I played of SFIV, I... did not get smashed immediately into the ground. I still lost on the whole, but I won two matches and did so with intentionality rather than by accidentally.

Now maybe in another 12 years or so of playing Guilty Gear off-and-on, I'll be able to perform more than a three or four move combo on purpose.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:21 AM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
I've been watching these video series called Guilty Gear Xrd Crash Course and AirDashers Academy, and I feel like I have a way better grasp of the fundamentals now. While I might not be any good, and accidentally mash out Volcanic Viper waaaaay more than I intend to, I finally feel like I know enough to know some of the things I don't know, if that makes sense. Things like "how do I get all-up-ins as Sol," and "how do I work around I-no spamming that move with the horizontal lightning stuff."

I finally played an online match in Xrd Rev2, and unlike the first twenty online matches I played of SFIV, I... did not get smashed immediately into the ground. I still lost on the whole, but I won two matches and did so with intentionality rather than by accidentally.

Now maybe in another 12 years or so of playing Guilty Gear off-and-on, I'll be able to perform more than a three or four move combo on purpose.
The NovrilTataki channel on Youtube is really good about that, though it also helps that Revelator and Rev2 have MATCHUP TUTORIALS and other things to help players learn.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:25 PM

I'm not saying this is what Tekken 7 was meant for, but you can't tell me not to play it this way.

Old 06-09-2017, 01:22 PM

Arcsys is making a 2.5 (like XRD) 3v3 fighter based on DBZ. More news to come at E3.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:23 PM
Mystery Contraption

Default Is Alex the Boxing Dinosaur in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
I'm not saying this is what Tekken 7 was meant for, but you can't tell me not to play it this way.

Well...

Okay then...

Okay...

Now I want Tekken 7.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:36 PM

Alex and Roger were gonna be in it, but they said something about. Or wanting to piss off animal rights activist because of that recent thing about someone punching a kangaroo.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:38 PM

Old 06-12-2017, 05:16 AM
..and his little cat, too

Yeah, I'm into that.

Would love to try Tekken 7, too.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
Yeah, I'm into that.

Would love to try Tekken 7, too.
DO THAT.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:20 PM

So that leak list is looking more likely, new monster hunter character throw him in why not?
Old 06-26-2017, 04:08 AM
Just bear with me

Street Fighter V... really stinks. I mean, okay, it's got pretty good graphics, but the single player modes are dull. A Shadow Falls and the prologues have some of the most head-slappingly stupid plots I've ever seen, the survival mode is seemingly endless in the higher difficulty settings, and half the game has to be purchased separately with season passes or "fight money," which takes a lifetime to earn.

I can pick up KOF 14 or Mortal Kombat XL, play through the story or a tower, and feel like that twenty or so minutes was time well spent. By contrast, Street Fighter V just feels like a waste of my time and Capcom's effort. It's technically sound, but there's no hook; no magic formula that makes me want to come back for seconds.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:29 AM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Street Fighter V... really stinks. I mean, okay, it's got pretty good graphics, but the single player modes are dull. A Shadow Falls and the prologues have some of the most head-slappingly stupid plots I've ever seen, the survival mode is seemingly endless in the higher difficulty settings, and half the game has to be purchased separately with season passes or "fight money," which takes a lifetime to earn.

I can pick up KOF 14 or Mortal Kombat XL, play through the story or a tower, and feel like that twenty or so minutes was time well spent. By contrast, Street Fighter V just feels like a waste of my time and Capcom's effort. It's technically sound, but there's no hook; no magic formula that makes me want to come back for seconds.
So when're we fightin'?
Old 06-26-2017, 11:40 AM
Just bear with me

The next time Sony offers a week of free online gaming? I dunno. I don't really do PSN anymore because I don't online game much and paying for it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot.EXE View Post
So when're we fightin'?

One of these days.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:49 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
I dunno. I don't really do PSN anymore because I don't online game much and paying for it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Not that I have Street Fighter V, but personally I keep a PlayStation Plus subscription largely for the (better) deals and free games.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:09 PM
Mystery Contraption

Yeah, the deals alone means I save more than it costs.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:08 AM
Mystery Contraption

Being able to play dress-up with fighting game characters is apparently a big selling point for me, so I wound up getting Tekken 7 without waiting for it to be on sale like I thought I would.

Akuma insists that foolish panda bears perish beneath his fists while wearing a floral t-shirt and cargo pants.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:22 PM

Tekken's first DLC pack is.. TEKKEN BOWLING.. Wait what?!

Old 07-08-2017, 12:15 AM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
Tekken's first DLC pack is.. TEKKEN BOWLING.. Wait what?!

For the 4th time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Being able to play dress-up with fighting game characters is apparently a big selling point for me, so I wound up getting Tekken 7 without waiting for it to be on sale like I thought I would.

Akuma insists that foolish panda bears perish beneath his fists while wearing a floral t-shirt and cargo pants.
Funny thing is Tekken 7's customization mode is the worst it's been in the series, so it's weird to see all these people praising the hell out of it.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:10 AM

I still need to get MKX... or MKXL now, I guess? Mostly in it for the story stuff (versus for online or multiplayer, I mean), so is XL still the ideal way to go there?

I was hoping it would be a part of the current Xbox sale -- I mean, their latest game, Injustice 2, is -- but alas, no such luck.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:38 AM
Mystery Contraption

XL doesn't affect the story mode at all, so if that's all you're looking for the basic game is fine.

It does, however, add a bunch of new characters so if the Arcade Mode endings are also a temptation might as well. Baraka isn't a playable character, but one of Xenomorphs fighting styles is based on him, if that's a deal-breaker.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:02 AM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
XL doesn't affect the story mode at all, so if that's all you're looking for the basic game is fine.

It does, however, add a bunch of new characters so if the Arcade Mode endings are also a temptation might as well. Baraka isn't a playable character, but one of Xenomorphs fighting styles is based on him, if that's a deal-breaker.
Get XL. I don't even know how that's a question when it comes to fighting games. Always get the latest version. ALWAYS.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:48 PM
Mystery Contraption

Very true, but Mr. Nytetrain said he only cares about the story mode and that isn't affected by paying extra for the XL content
Old 07-09-2017, 02:20 PM

If there are more character endings, that may be incentive enough.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:22 PM
Mystery Contraption

In that case, yes, absolutely, go nuts
Old 07-09-2017, 02:25 PM

all the new XL kharacters are also pretty fun too, which helps.

Actually in general most of the cast has a lot of neat little tricks and traps to their kits, I really liked how MKX played even if it had that confusing run/stamina mechanic that no one uses.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:54 PM

Oh, right, almost forgot: Is it unforgivably cheap at the end, even on easy difficulty? I beat Injustice 2's story mode with a bit of difficulty right at the end, but at least it was kind of doable.

I thought I'd seen something saying they'd improved that on MK with the reboot or X.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:56 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Baraka isn't a playable character, but one of Xenomorphs fighting styles is based on him, if that's a deal-breaker.
I heard Baraka is in the mobile version, but of course the problem there is that it's the mobile version. =/

Also Freddy Krueger returned on the mobile game, which on the one hand it's nice to have an official outlet for Freddy vs. Jason in gaming, but on the other hand I wanted him back in the proper damn game and not the F2P touchscreen card game thing.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:02 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
Oh, right, almost forgot: Is it unforgivably cheap at the end, even on easy difficulty? I beat Injustice 2's story mode with a bit of difficulty right at the end, but at least it was kind of doable.

I thought I'd seen something saying they'd improved that on MK with the reboot or X.
If memory serves, it does the same thing as Injustice 2 in story mode where if you lose more than a couple of times it automatically drops the difficulty

Tags
#yolo , ark system works , at ease losah , capcom , capcom killed my family , cheep cheep is cheap , coffee hates casuals , dizzy stay out , fighting games , fuck conveyance , i'd like some pancakes , im getting motivated , no gurls allowed , projectiles are cheap , respect my footsies , scrubbing bubbles , shoutouts to shoutouts , shoutouts to tags , teleporting is cheap , throwing is cheap , tires don't exits , what about mega man? , with the greatest of ease , yolo