The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-01-2017, 12:13 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
That event is happening now and they're...playing it...like, it's a real game...but...I dunno, it doesn't say that it's Street Fighter anywhere. There's no logo or anything. I wonder if they just made this demo thing and that's all they're gonna do with it, and maybe try to get Capcom to agree to making a REAL EX 4?
Well, you have to remember that Arika was supposed to come out with a 3DS fighting game called, Fighting Sample, that featured only their OC's for the Street Fighter EX games. That game never came out...it might've become this.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Mystery Contraption

You mean we were denied the return of SKULLOMANIA?

This damn industry!
Old 04-01-2017, 12:32 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
You mean we were denied the return of SKULLOMANIA?

This damn industry!
Maybe. I have no idea why Fighting Sample never dropped on 3DS. There was footage, and then...NOTHING.

Last edited by Riot.EXE; 04-01-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:18 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Apparently it's a real game, and it's only got the SF EX characters and the characters from some JP only game called Fighting Layer, and it's basically Fighting Layer 2 and they're trying to find a publisher? I GUESS?!?
Old 04-02-2017, 12:46 AM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Apparently it's a real game, and it's only got the SF EX characters and the characters from some JP only game called Fighting Layer, and it's basically Fighting Layer 2 and they're trying to find a publisher? I GUESS?!?
See above.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:29 PM
Spear of Justice

I had completely forgotten just how much Tekken 3 I used to play until the My Life in Gaming channel did a stream last Sunday which featured the bleemcast! version of the game, and suddenly those memories all came flooding back at once.

As a total casual regarding the fighting genre, I'll just ask: do people still talk about/play Tekken anymore? To an outsider it feels like that series was blowing up huge around the late nineties and early 'aughts, but totally fell off a cliff at some point and everyone just kinda forgot about it.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:34 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Bought all the new KOF stuff, just counting the minutes until I can go home and play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
As a total casual regarding the fighting genre, I'll just ask: do people still talk about/play Tekken anymore?
I think Tekken 7 comes out in...June? I'm beyond casual when it comes to Tekken since I could never really figure out the flow of it.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Spear of Justice

I never played much SFII or its successors/derivatives, which probably helped me learn Tekken's weird four-button controls more easily. It's definitely got a more deliberate sort of pace to movement and attacking because of its 3D nature; it isn't nearly as quick or flashy as something like SF. I'd say Tekken more or less splits the difference between SF's crazy speed and the ultra-meticulousness of Virtua Fighter (which I also only have minimal experience with, so take all my comments with a huge grain of salt here).

Borrowed a friend's copy of T3 and I'm really enjoying rediscovering the characters and their redonkulous ending cutscenes. Can't wait until I unlock Dr. Bosconovitch and Gon the tiny farting dinosaur.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
As a total casual regarding the fighting genre, I'll just ask: do people still talk about/play Tekken anymore? To an outsider it feels like that series was blowing up huge around the late nineties and early 'aughts, but totally fell off a cliff at some point and everyone just kinda forgot about it.
Are you kidding? Of course people still play it!
Old 04-05-2017, 01:28 PM
Spear of Justice

Glad to hear it! I don't follow any kind of fighting community stuff and don't know anyone personally who plays Tekken anymore, so I wasn't sure how popular it still is. I think 5 on PS2 was the last one I played.

Is Tag 2 any good? I'd been considering trying it out for awhile since I've got this Wii U just sitting here collecting dust.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:30 PM
forbidden noise

it's the best version
Old 04-05-2017, 01:47 PM

The hell is the context for that? Is it like, Kazuya and Jun the Musical, now on Broadway?
Old 04-05-2017, 02:11 PM
forbidden noise

it's from the wiiu exclusive tekken ball mode
Old 04-05-2017, 06:30 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Glad to hear it! I don't follow any kind of fighting community stuff and don't know anyone personally who plays Tekken anymore, so I wasn't sure how popular it still is. I think 5 on PS2 was the last one I played.

Is Tag 2 any good? I'd been considering trying it out for awhile since I've got this Wii U just sitting here collecting dust.
All of the Tekkens are good...except the Tekken Advance and the now-dead Tekken Revolution. Most of the FGC doesn't like Tekken 4, but that's because Tekken 4 had a significantly smaller roster and tried something different with the fighting system (Virtua Fighter 3 suffered the same fate for the same reason) but it's actually still okay despite that. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is fun, but it's about time for us to get Tekken 7 in our hands...

(If anything though, one thing that's consistently great about the Tekken franchise is its music. Seek it all out.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
it's from the wiiu exclusive tekken ball mode
That explains why I had no idea what the hell that track was. I never played the WiiU version.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:39 AM

TTT2 is great and a huge, comprehensive celebration of the series up to that point. Depending on what console you have, you can even buy the soundtracks to the old games and customize when they key up (this is great for me, as Tekken 2 is my favorite soundtrack of the bunch).

It's also extremely dense and intimidating and everyone has a million moves and there's tag mechanics on top of it all (though you can do solo matches).

I hope you have a wiiU pro controller! D:

T7's overdue, I'm not really liking what I see in most of the redesigns, but played the game at PAX and it felt pretty good.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:55 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
It's also extremely dense and intimidating and everyone has a million moves and there's tag mechanics on top of it all (though you can do solo matches).
Solo matches was my most-requested feature for original TTT! Tag battles always take so damn long, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot.EXE View Post
(If anything though, one thing that's consistently great about the Tekken franchise is its music. Seek it all out.)
TTT has such good music

Old 04-06-2017, 06:57 AM

Vanessa and Rock both feel really good, but its going to take a lot of work to overcome people who have been playing since launch with particular characters.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:07 AM
This Guy

Is KoF14 any good? I recently purchased a PS4 and have been hankering for some KoF.

TTT2 for WiiU is a special game. There is so much weird junk in there. It is also a game that gets better the drunker you are.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Is KoF14 any good? I recently purchased a PS4 and have been hankering for some KoF.
Gameplay isn't far off from XIII as far as the feel and flow of moves, though its slightly simplified. Art design is all over the place and is definitely a step down from the beautiful sprites of XIII.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:10 AM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Gameplay isn't far off from XIII as far as the feel and flow of moves, though its slightly simplified. Art design is all over the place and is definitely a step down from the beautiful sprites of XIII.
Nah, KoF XIV is EXTREMELY simplified compared to previous entries...this is the easiest one to play, but that also means it's unfortunately the easiest for veterans to get godlike at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Yeah, it's good!

Quote:
TTT has such good music

Oh I know. I have an old episode of my fighting game podcast, "HyperComboCast" entirely devoted to Tekken's music.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:42 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

FWIW I played the KoFXIV demo and thought it was shit, but I've only been a casual KoF fan so idk what that really means

Tekken I could never get into. Tekken 7 looks like a legit as heck good Tekken game. Tekken just has a weird feel to it that I've never been into, personally.

Soul Calibur, on the other hand? If Soul Calibur VI came out, and they ditched a bunch of the nonsense from Soul Calibur IV/V that I didn't like (Make Guard Impacts Like They Were in SCII/SCIII Again™, no more super moves or meter, no clothing damage stuff...which they ditched after IV but still), I would drop SFV in a second. Even if they didn't I would still play a ton of it. I gotta get my Siegfried stomp on. It's been 5 years since the last one, and that one didn't really catch on, and the series' 20 year anniversary is this year (or last year?) so...like, Namco? Please? Just do a dream match or something and throw in SCII Nightmare and let me ruin fools.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Mystery Contraption

Tekken never clicked with me, but even a casual glance at the roster will show you how very badly I wanted it to.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Spear of Justice

In Tekken you can be a robot, a bear, several varieties of demons, a kangaroo who wears boxing gloves or a raptor who also wears boxing gloves.

Or you can be a human dude or lady I guess, whatever floats yer battlin'-boat
Old 04-06-2017, 12:09 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Roger and Alex weren't in enough games. Mokujin is the greatest character ever, but was only in one of them. Jack is a robot, but he is lame. And therein lies the problem with the Tekken roster. Most characters are lame, and then they introduce someone AWESOME and take them away. At least Tekken 7 lets you dress everyone up in silly outfits. And Yoshimitsu is there, bless his heart.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Highway To HFIL

Quote:
Make Guard Impacts Like They Were in SCII/SCIII Again™
But this was terrible!
Old 04-06-2017, 12:53 PM
forbidden noise

Quote:
(Make Guard Impacts Like They Were in SCII/SCIII Again™,)
there's already a current game for you
Old 04-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Most characters are lame, and then they introduce someone AWESOME and take them away.
This sort of thing usually doesn't bother me except when Tekken 4 radically changed Jin's moveset. Why even include the character at all if he's going to play completely differently?
Old 04-06-2017, 01:44 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Mokujin is the greatest character ever, but was only in one of them.
blood type: sap

dislikes: evil, chainsaws

also he inspired professional wrestling legend mokujin ken, aka ken the box

Old 04-06-2017, 02:19 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
But this was terrible!
It was awesome! You are crazy, literally insane. Getting in impact wars and making the right read to get out was fun as HECK. SCV made them cost METER, which was an insane and crazy thing to do. I miss my Raphael counter moves too and punishing the opponent being predictable. God, SCIII was so fun...I'm fiending for some SC right now.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:35 PM
d.o_o.b

Quote:
This sort of thing usually doesn't bother me except when Tekken 4 radically changed Jin's moveset. Why even include the character at all if he's going to play completely differently?
I dunno, this is something I kinda love about KoF.

Tags
#yolo , ark system works , at ease losah , capcom , capcom killed my family , cheep cheep is cheap , coffee hates casuals , dizzy stay out , fighting games , fuck conveyance , i'd like some pancakes , im getting motivated , no gurls allowed , projectiles are cheap , respect my footsies , scrubbing bubbles , shoutouts to shoutouts , shoutouts to tags , teleporting is cheap , throwing is cheap , tires don't exits , what about mega man? , with the greatest of ease , yolo