The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-23-2017, 08:51 AM
Issun's Avatar
Issun Issun is offline
Gosh It's Hot!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sad Lesbian Capital of the World
Posts: 12,780
Default Would You Kindly Nominate The Top 50 Video Games of the 21st Century (so far)


We've done NES games. We've hit the 16-Bit Era. Now it's time to decide TT's Top 50 from the current century. I'm looking forward to seeing how this list shakes out Not only have a ton of great games been released in the last 17 1/2 years, but while it's easy to get an idea of what a lot of the front-runners will be, it's going to be hard to say for sure where they'll place and what #1 will be (Feel free to guess in your heart-of-hearts but please don't post your guesses until it's all over).

Now,before we get into the specifics of this list, let's go over the basics of any top 50 submission for those who may be new to the format:

Each tyrant lists and orders their top 25 (or fewer) entries and submits it to the person running the contest (me, in this case) by PM. You can order it by your most favorite, what you consider to be most best, or some combination of the two. Once the deadline arrives, I'll assign a point value: 35 for the #1s, 34 for the 2s, down to 11 for the 25s. After lots of math I'll turn out the final list and post it day by day with commentary, and then everyone discusses how awesome that day's entries are/what an atrocity said entry's placement is. If you need to change an entry after submitting, just PM me the change and where you want it on the list and I'll just knock off the bottom most entry (unless another entry is specified).

The deadline for entries will be midnight PST on June 7th.

Now for specifics. I'm going to do these questions about your games lists in an FAQ format. A Game FAQ, if you will (anyone who pronounces it "fak" is automatically disqualified [not really])

Q: Is 2000 part of the 21st Century?

A: Wikipedia says "no" but fuck Wikipedia. My answer is: It's up to you. If you want to include games from 2000 go ahead, but said game must have an original release date on or after January 1 2000, which means something like Chrono Cross is right out. Personally, my list is going to exclude games from 2000 because it's going to be hard enough to narrow it down already, but it's up to each individual person whether to include games from 2000. Just know that enough others may not list games from 2000 that Vagrant Story/Jet Set Radio/ what have you may not make it. I do have a contingency plan if a lot of games from that year get voted for but don't place high enough to make the final list.

Edit: Some concerns have been expressed about this rule, and I see the point. So what I'd like to say is: if you love a game released in 2000 then please go for it. If you really feel that games from 2000 shouldn't count no one can make you include them, but there are some great games from that year. Judging by early returns the point is moot anyhow, but my goal is for this thing to be fun for everyone so I wanted to address the concerns.

------

Q: So how far is "so far?"

A: Eligible games must have had their original release date between 1/1/2000 and 6/7/2017. Sorry, no Frog Fractions 3.

------

Q: What about ports/remakes?

A: Most I would not count. As good as FFV Advance was, it's basically a 90s game with some tweaks. Some remakes might be different enough to count on the list, but people had better have a pretty good argument why it should count as a different enough game that it could be counted as originally released this century.

------

Q: What about mobile games?

A: They're video games, aren't they?

------

Q: What if a game I really hate makes the list?

A: No one likes every game (not even Loki), and constructive criticism of any entry on this list is fine. But like all Top 50 lists, this is a celebration of its subject matter, so please try and be civil in your disagreements about the games on the final list.

------

Q: I don't wanna submit a list.

A: Obviously you don't have to. But if a game you love doesn't place for lack of a few points, you have no one to blame but yourself. Besides, the more lists we get, the more accurately the final list will reflect all of TT. Even if you've only played one game from the last several years that you really liked, you can submit it!

------

Q: When is the deadline for submitting my list?

A: Well I can see you just skimmed everything, but just to make sure everyone is aware, I'll say it again: Midnight PST on June 7th. I'll grant an extension of a couple of days if anyone has a pressing reason for not getting their list in. The final list will start soon after, once I tabulate and order everything and write up the first entries.

------

Q: How do I submit a list again?

A: Now you're just being ridiculous, person I made up for this post.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to post them. Okay, Go!

Last edited by Issun; 05-23-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-23-2017, 08:52 AM
Issun's Avatar
Issun Issun is offline
Gosh It's Hot!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sad Lesbian Capital of the World
Posts: 12,780
Default

Also I realize I left JRPGs off the first paragraph. That was because I was going for a chronological thing, not because DD's list wasn't awesome (it was).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-23-2017, 09:14 AM
Adrenaline's Avatar
Adrenaline Adrenaline is offline
It's all good, man
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 17,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Q: Is 2000 part of the 21st Century?

A: Wikipedia says "no" but fuck Wikipedia. My answer is: It's up to you.
I think it would be better if you just made a ruling.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-23-2017, 09:15 AM
Nodal's Avatar
Nodal Nodal is offline
:O
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,440
Default

Quote:
Most I would not count. As good as FFV Advance was, it's basically a 90s game with some tweaks. Some remakes might be different enough to count on the list, but people had better have a pretty good argument why it should count as a different enough game that it could be counted as originally released this century.
So FFV Advance is out, but FFIV DS is in.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-23-2017, 09:25 AM
Patrick's Avatar
Patrick Patrick is online now
is Earnest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 17,446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I think it would be better if you just made a ruling.
His ruling is that it counts, but you can opt out of including games from that year. it's a fair ruling!

I like this contest, looking forward to putting together a list.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-23-2017, 09:30 AM
Positronic Brain's Avatar
Positronic Brain Positronic Brain is offline
Out Of Warranty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Posts: 8,146
Default

Wait, so games from up to 6/7/17 count?

Man, I'm so tempted to nominate a game from The Future just because.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-23-2017, 10:21 AM
Adrenaline's Avatar
Adrenaline Adrenaline is offline
It's all good, man
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 17,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
His ruling is that it counts, but you can opt out of including games from that year. it's a fair ruling!

I like this contest, looking forward to putting together a list.
There are great games that came out in 2000 and I don't think their placement should be affected by whether the voters think they count or not. They either should or they shouldn't.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-23-2017, 10:25 AM
Vaeran's Avatar
Vaeran Vaeran is offline
whatever it takes
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
A: Eligible games must have had their original release date between 1/1/2000 and 6/7/2017. Sorry, no Frog Fractions 3.
Frog Fractions 3 may already be among us and you can't prove otherwise
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-23-2017, 10:48 AM
Issun's Avatar
Issun Issun is offline
Gosh It's Hot!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sad Lesbian Capital of the World
Posts: 12,780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
There are great games that came out in 2000 and I don't think their placement should be affected by whether the voters think they count or not. They either should or they shouldn't.
I figured the people who firmly believe the 21st Century started with 2001 weren't going to put anything from 2000 on their lists anyways, so I just sanctioned what was going to happen regardless. Honestly I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other, but I understand a lot of people do. I've given it a lot of thought since I first nominated this thread and this, to me, was the optimal solution. I'm pretty sure at least a couple of games from 2000 will make it on the list though. And if they don't, like I said I'll make sure they get their day in the sun.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-23-2017, 10:54 AM
spineshark's Avatar
spineshark spineshark is offline
forbidden noise
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,618
Default

i'm going to vote for 25 games and maybe two of them will make a top 50
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-23-2017, 11:12 AM
Adrenaline's Avatar
Adrenaline Adrenaline is offline
It's all good, man
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 17,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
I figured the people who firmly believe the 21st Century started with 2001 weren't going to put anything from 2000 on their lists anyways, so I just sanctioned what was going to happen regardless. Honestly I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other, but I understand a lot of people do. I've given it a lot of thought since I first nominated this thread and this, to me, was the optimal solution. I'm pretty sure at least a couple of games from 2000 will make it on the list though. And if they don't, like I said I'll make sure they get their day in the sun.
I don't see how someone's thoughts on when a century "starts" has any bearing on their opinion of games that came out in 2000, but whatever
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-23-2017, 11:19 AM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is offline
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 41,175
Default

Would Shovel Knight count as one game or three? Because, if nothing else, Specter is sold separately and is entirely unique...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-23-2017, 11:58 AM
breakman's Avatar
breakman breakman is offline
do-do-doo do-doo
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,117
Default

Dang it, the NGPC SNK vs. Capcom games came out in November 1999.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-23-2017, 12:06 PM
Kishi's Avatar
Kishi Kishi is offline
Little Waves
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 26,062
Default

Match of the (Old) Millennium.

I'm including 2000 since I assume other people will.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Would Shovel Knight count as one game or three? Because, if nothing else, Specter is sold separately and is entirely unique...
It's all Shovel Knight if you ask me.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-23-2017, 12:10 PM
Taeryn's Avatar
Taeryn Taeryn is offline
-ryn
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 2,386
Default

man, going back to 2001 up to now feels a lot more difficult for me. I had an NES, but I only had like 5 games for it because I was a kid with no money.

2001 for me marks an era of expansion. I expanded my horizons by meeting people that had a lot more exposure to games. I expanded my budget by having pretty steady income. I expanded my game time by not being limited by parent induced bed times or limits on game time. I expanded the games I could purchase by upgrading to modern PC for the time and buying a modern console.

As a result, looking at games released from 2001 to 2005 represents vast quantities of time I spent on games. The list is fairly limited, because I focused on putting a lot of hours into a few games. I've still got 20 games that I could make a case for putting on my list of 25.

I expect the pace will slow considerably once I get beyond 2007. At that point, I enter the workforce and get married. When the financial crisis hits me in 2009, I'll find myself returning to the games I spent time with in 2001 to 2005. Comfort food for my lost soul, plus they don't cost money.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-23-2017, 12:11 PM
conchobhar's Avatar
conchobhar conchobhar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Snowy climes of Canada
Posts: 2,208
Default

This is going to be very difficult! Just a quick rattling off of games has put me at 33.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-23-2017, 12:16 PM
Tanto's Avatar
Tanto Tanto is offline
Fishing for Felbloom
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NoVA
Posts: 9,239
Default

What's the ruling on regions? For example, Skies of Arcadia came out in 1999 in Japan, but 2000 in the US, and I've only ever played the latter version.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-23-2017, 12:20 PM
Issun's Avatar
Issun Issun is offline
Gosh It's Hot!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sad Lesbian Capital of the World
Posts: 12,780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I don't see how someone's thoughts on when a century "starts" has any bearing on their opinion of games that came out in 2000, but whatever
Oh, I'm sure for most people wanting to see a game they love on the list would win out over dying on a particular hill but I've seen arguments over the subject in other threads get pretty heated so I figured the option should be there. I do understand your point of view though.

Also re: Nodal

FFIV DS was the exact example that came to mind of games that were rebuilt enough that if enough people went to bat for it there was no reason not to include it, Mega Man Powered Up beung another.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-23-2017, 12:30 PM
Issun's Avatar
Issun Issun is offline
Gosh It's Hot!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sad Lesbian Capital of the World
Posts: 12,780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
What's the ruling on regions? For example, Skies of Arcadia came out in 1999 in Japan, but 2000 in the US, and I've only ever played the latter version.
I used Chrono Cross as an example because I figure it's pretty well known that it came out in Japan in 99 and here in 2000. After BEAT's writeup in the JRPG thread there's not much left to say about Skies of Arcadia anyways.

Edit: I'd also like to say that I had a much better title for this thread but it wouldn't fit.

Now is the Winter of Our Downloadable Content
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-23-2017, 12:48 PM
estragon's Avatar
estragon estragon is offline
この世の最も無智なる者
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I don't see how someone's thoughts on when a century "starts" has any bearing on their opinion of games that came out in 2000, but whatever
Yeah, this is not a complicated qualitative category like "JRPG" where it makes sense to let votes determine the bounds of the category.

Just establish an arbitrary starting date for the purpose of this list, and remove the rules text hedging about it.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-23-2017, 01:04 PM
Issun's Avatar
Issun Issun is offline
Gosh It's Hot!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sad Lesbian Capital of the World
Posts: 12,780
Default

I've added some text in the OP to address this. That's as much as I'll do because I don't want to keep adding/subtracting things and further muddy the waters.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-23-2017, 01:13 PM
Destil's Avatar
Destil Destil is offline
TARANTUL
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 20,417
Default

Chrono Cross is right out because the Japan (first) release date is 1999? Is that what you mean?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-23-2017, 01:23 PM
Falselogic's Avatar
Falselogic Falselogic is offline
Threadcromantosaurus Rex
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Posts: 29,260
Default

Goddess! Y'all a bunch pedantic a-nerds! If you didn't play the version that came out in the 21st century you dont nominate it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-23-2017, 02:42 PM
Kirin's Avatar
Kirin Kirin is offline
Not a Beer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 19,095
Default

False, I think you're reading this wrong, I'm pretty sure Issun is saying you can't nominate *any* version of Chrono Cross, because the game was originally released (in Japan) in 1999, and the US release is not a substantially different version.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-23-2017, 02:53 PM
Taeryn's Avatar
Taeryn Taeryn is offline
-ryn
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 2,386
Default

so, in looking at the years on what ive got so far (34 games), I was surprised how many I've got in the period between when i enter the workforce and when the financial crisis hits me. I certainly played games in that phase of my life, but I had a lot of life changes going on.

I didn't come up with anything to nominate in the last few years. I'm sure there's things I'm just not thinking of yet. maybe its just because I can't really keep up anymore. I don't know why. I work similar hours. I don't have kids, but somehow I find myself playing fewer new games than ever in the past 3-4 years since moving.

This list encompassing the majority of my adult life is resulting in a bit more introspection too...
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-23-2017, 04:12 PM
Issun's Avatar
Issun Issun is offline
Gosh It's Hot!
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sad Lesbian Capital of the World
Posts: 12,780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
False, I think you're reading this wrong, I'm pretty sure Issun is saying you can't nominate *any* version of Chrono Cross, because the game was originally released (in Japan) in 1999, and the US release is not a substantially different version.
Exactly. I felt there needed to be a cutoff somewhere and figured that was about right.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-23-2017, 04:13 PM
Falselogic's Avatar
Falselogic Falselogic is offline
Threadcromantosaurus Rex
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Posts: 29,260
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
False, I think you're reading this wrong, I'm pretty sure Issun is saying you can't nominate *any* version of Chrono Cross, because the game was originally released (in Japan) in 1999, and the US release is not a substantially different version.
Naw, I'm pretty sure y'all are pedantic a-nerds.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-23-2017, 04:20 PM
Kirin's Avatar
Kirin Kirin is offline
Not a Beer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 19,095
Default

Well, yes, of course we are, we're just getting on the same page of pedantic nerdery.

Incidentally, I've just confirmed that both Legend of Mana and Misadventures of Tron Bonne run afoul of the exact same situation as Chrono Cross. Just as well, though; those really seem on the other side of some "modern" cutoff from most of this list.

Edit: initial unsorted draft list: 42 entries. Well. This'll be interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-23-2017, 04:36 PM
LancerECNM's Avatar
LancerECNM LancerECNM is offline
Not A Low-Level Life Form
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Space Virginia
Posts: 7,278
Default

Anyone know of a good tool for sorting ranked lists like this? I've got a huge pile of a draft, but I'd rather not do a bunch of copying and pasting until it looks right.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-23-2017, 04:48 PM
aturtledoesbite's Avatar
aturtledoesbite aturtledoesbite is offline
hi there
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 14,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Anyone know of a good tool for sorting ranked lists like this? I've got a huge pile of a draft, but I'd rather not do a bunch of copying and pasting until it looks right.
You could use a spreadsheet. Column A for ranks, B for names, then just periodically sort by A.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
delicious noms

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts İyou, 2007