The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 04-21-2017, 07:42 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Adequate Games Done Quick: A Talking Time Game Jam

Everyone is doing GameJams. I want to do a Game Jam. Can we call it a Gammy?

So here is the Gammy!

On second thought let's not call it a Gammy.

Wait! Wait! What is a Game Jam?

Quote:
The goal is to come together and make a game. Participants rapidly prototype game designs and hopefully inject new ideas to help grow the game industry. We share a common theme and constraints. We ask participants to create a game from beginning to end in a prescribed time (maximum of 48 hours). The brief time span is meant to help encourage creative thinking to result in small but innovative and experimental games.
What is Game?

Whatever you make at the Game Jam! Generally, it's something with a system of rules that a player interacts with in a meaningful way. Digital or not digital are both good! Play with a friend or yourself!

Do I have team?

You can! Or you can do it alone! Feel free to use this thread to find people to work with

How long do I have to Jam my Game?

48 hours!

When is this Game Jam?

Excellent question! How about we say it's May 6th and 7th!

Where do I submit?

I don't know we'll make a thread or something! The important thing is to have fun and then maybe learn something.

Do I win something?

Absolutely!

What about...?

Ask it in the thread and maybe someone can answer it!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:41 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I'm probably going to try and do a two player card game.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:43 PM
concern troll

I have zero programming skills but maybe could help with copy editing or testing. If nothing else I look forward to playing the results!
Old 04-21-2017, 09:48 PM
Outer Spacean

Ditto, but I would like to participate in some way. I'll have to ponder unearthing my ancient ideas from when I was a teenager...
Old 04-21-2017, 10:46 PM

This is a great idea!! I've always wanted to get involved in a game jam, and this would be perfect.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:38 AM
That bug is NUTS!

This would be super cool! I weirdly have more time on weekdays than weekends though. Do you think we could run two rounds with one during the week and one in the weekend? If that's too complicated or dilutes interest then that's fine and I'll wait to play the results.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:48 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

I would like to do a concept and maybe write something
Old 04-23-2017, 11:46 AM
Not a Beer

I'm intrigued by this, but I'm rating my potential for actually managing to put aside sufficient time as rather low...
Old 04-23-2017, 02:29 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornGhost View Post
This would be super cool! I weirdly have more time on weekdays than weekends though. Do you think we could run two rounds with one during the week and one in the weekend? If that's too complicated or dilutes interest then that's fine and I'll wait to play the results.
I'd say "do it in a 48-hour period of your choice from May 1 to 8" or something like that, although it admittedly is nice to know that everyone else is busting their butts at the exact same time as you.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:37 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I'm not interested in participating - I don't like knowing how the sausage is made - but I'm intrigued and interested in seeing what you come up with.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:43 PM
Don't Stop Believin'

A lot of jams like Ludum Dare and Global Game Jam take place in short time periods, but longer jams are a thing too! The local game dev community I'm part of in Philly (PhillyDevNight) has jams every month that run for two weeks, since they know people can't always fit the 48 hours into their schedule.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:28 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakupo View Post
A lot of jams like Ludum Dare and Global Game Jam take place in short time periods, but longer jams are a thing too! The local game dev community I'm part of in Philly (PhillyDevNight) has jams every month that run for two weeks, since they know people can't always fit the 48 hours into their schedule.
Something like two weeks of time with the soft understanding that everyone's not going to be working on them every minute of every day might be nice. It also gives a little more time to talk about how projects are going, etc.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Game Jam starts Tomorrow!

I know people were worried that they didnt have the time. But don't worry! This isn't going to be the first one of these! I'd like to make them semi-regular events!
Old 05-06-2017, 10:30 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

This is hard!

Im trying to come up with a two player card game using just a 52 deck of cards that mimics boxing in some way...
Old 05-06-2017, 12:18 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Ditched my theme because I couldn't come up with anything good with it that wasn't just a rip-off of something I already made

Anyone else working on something?
Old 05-06-2017, 01:56 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Okay I think I have something here.

It's like War! but with bases?
Old 05-06-2017, 04:16 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Anyone have a spouse or live-in friend, a deck of cards, and want to play test my game?
Old 05-06-2017, 04:23 PM
Outer Spacean

Man, I was out all day today, False; otherwise I'd have piped in sooner. If I had a partner I would have been happy to test it out for you, sorry. I'll see about coming up with something to contribute later on today or tomorrow. I have to sort through my old stuff.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:55 PM
An Animal of Joy

Go Go Go! I might be able to playtest tomorrow, I might see a friend of mine. Not sure though. Feel free to send me the rules but I can't promise anything.

I've been working on a game on and off for about 2 years, but can't really commit to any jammin' due to parenting and 2 jobs and all. It does make me fantasize about how much I could do if I had 48 hours to myself. That's like 2 months worth of Me Time.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:41 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
Go Go Go! I might be able to playtest tomorrow, I might see a friend of mine. Not sure though. Feel free to send me the rules but I can't promise anything.

I've been working on a game on and off for about 2 years, but can't really commit to any jammin' due to parenting and 2 jobs and all. It does make me fantasize about how much I could do if I had 48 hours to myself. That's like 2 months worth of Me Time.
Here is the rule set so far! Anyone else who has the time and is willing to test please do!

Fortify

A game for two players

Materials

52 card deck - Jokers removed

Goal

Each player is trying to "build up" their "base" while tearing down their opponent's. The first player to build up to exactly 25 points wins.

Set-up

Each player is dealt a hand of cards, 5 cards each. The remaining cards are placed face down and become the resource pile. Flip a coin to see who goes first. Players will play cards from their hands in front of them building up their base. Various actions will cause cards to be discarded. Discarded cards are put in a face up pile next to the draw pile and are the heap.

Play

On their turn a player may perform one of the following actions:

- Draw a card from the resource pile and put it in their hand
- play a card from their hand into their base
- play a card from their hand as an action effect
- play a card from their hand as a permanent effect.

The turn then passes to the other player.

If the resource pile runs out, then instead a player may draw a card from the heap or pass (do nothing that turn). The heap is runs out or if there are three consecutive passes the game ends in a draw.

Card Types

There are two categories of cards: build cards and action cards

1. Build cards - 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
Build cards are worth their face value. They are played in one of two ways:
- a build card placed in a players own base area. These cards add up to create your base total. When they add up to exactly 25 the player wins the game.
- a build card placed in the other players base area destroys their cards. This action is taken to remove a card from the other players base area. The card you play must be higher in value than the card you are removing, or equal in value with a higher suit. Suits are ranked from lowest to highest clubs<diamonds<spades<hearts.
Example: a Four of Spades can destroy Four of Diamonds or a Three of Hearts but not a Four of Hearts.
Destroyed cards are placed in the heap.
2. Action Cards - Ace, Jack, Queen, King
Ace - Reduce the point total of base cards you need to win. Place the Ace in your base area to keep track of this effect
1 Ace - player wins when they have 25 or more in their base
2 Aces - 21 points or more to win
3 Aces - 17 points or more to win
4 Aces - 14 points or more to winTransfer control of a base card. A base card may be transferred more than once. Place the Jack behind the card to keep track of transfersplace all base cards into the heap. This effects both players
Jack - Place all base cards into the heap. This effects both players
Queen - Draw two cards from the resource pile and add them to your hand OR make your opponent discard two cards at random
King - Transfer control of a base card. A base card may be transferred more than once. Place the King behind the card to keep track of transfers

Variants

Tens - Players may play the ten card in their base to make their opponent play with their hand revealed. Play the card horizontally in your base to note this effect. Players may play another ten card as an action to destroy this effect.

Jokers - Joker card may be added to the deck. When played players will swap hands.

Last edited by Falselogic; 05-07-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:40 AM
Not a Beer

False, it looks like your rules have a copy/paste error from swapping the King and Jack effects or something. Other than that, sounds intriguing, though I'm a little worried about the balance of the Ace effects.

One of these days I need to finish off the Legend of Korra Pro Bending tabletop game I was working on, but that requires reconstructing my prototype board+card set from my photos and notes....
Old 05-07-2017, 11:47 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
False, it looks like your rules have a copy/paste error from swapping the King and Jack effects or something. Other than that, sounds intriguing, though I'm a little worried about the balance of the Ace effects.

One of these days I need to finish off the Legend of Korra Pro Bending tabletop game I was working on, but that requires reconstructing my prototype board+card set from my photos and notes....
Which is why I need people to playtest! I'm a little iffy on the exact 25 part as well. No way to undo it but play and Ace and if you don't have one you can be stuck for quite awhile.

I thought about letting people destroy their own base in order to fix that.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:50 PM
Outer Spacean

I took a glance at my old VG design files...man. They are old and crusty and kind of embarrassing. I think I'll have to do some rewriting to them for the next jam (whenever that will be) if anyone wants to go that route.

Otherwise, I have some rudimentary Smash Up! fan designs for video game mashups but I don't remember if I have anything on my PC about that. I'll need to do some work on those, too. So I'll be waiting for the next one to really get involved. Sorry!
Old 05-07-2017, 06:47 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Which is why I need people to playtest! I'm a little iffy on the exact 25 part as well. No way to undo it but play and Ace and if you don't have one you can be stuck for quite awhile.

I thought about letting people destroy their own base in order to fix that.
Maybe they could use "leftover" amounts from destroying the opponent's base to do that.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:03 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
Maybe they could use "leftover" amounts from destroying the opponent's base to do that.
Oh that's a good idea!
Old 05-07-2017, 11:14 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

The First TT Game Jam ends in just under an hour!

I have a card game done.

I don't know if it is good. I'll do a final write up and post it here next week.

I want to encourage everyone to participate in the next one!

Which will either be on a weekend people can do it or will be over a longer period of time!

Let's make some games! Soon.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:36 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default My final rule set! If you can play test please do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The rules
Fortify

A game for two players

Materials

52 card deck - Jokers removed

Goal

Each player is trying to "build up" their "base" while tearing down their opponent's. The first player to build up to exactly 25 points wins.

Set-up

Each player is dealt a hand of cards, 5 cards each. The remaining cards are placed face down and become the resource pile. Flip a coin to see who goes first. Players will play cards from their hands in front of them building up their base. Various actions will cause cards to be discarded. Discarded cards are put in a face up pile next to the draw pile and are the heap.

Play

On their turn a player may perform one of the following actions:

- Draw a card from the resource pile and put it in their hand
- play a card from their hand into their base
- play a card from their hand as an action effect
- play a card from their hand as a permanent effect.

The turn then passes to the other player.

If the resource pile runs out, then instead a player may draw a card from the heap or pass (do nothing that turn). The heap is runs out or if there are three consecutive passes the game ends in a draw.

Card Types

There are two categories of cards: build cards and action cards

1. Build cards - 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
Build cards are worth their face value. They are played in one of two ways:
- a build card placed in a players own base area. These cards add up to create your base total. When they add up to exactly 25 the player wins the game.
- a build card placed in the other players base area destroy their cards. This action is taken to remove a card from the other players base area. The card you play must be higher in value than the card you are removing, or equal in value with a higher suit. Suits are ranked from lowest to highest clubs<diamonds<spades<hearts.
Example: a Four of Spades can destroy Four of Diamonds or a Three of Hearts but not a Four of Hearts.
Destroyed cards are placed in the heap.
Reminders left over may be added to the base of the player who destroyed a card.
Example: Player A plays their 7 of spades to destroy Player B's 5 of clubs. They add two points to their base total. Signify this by putting the two cards face down in Player A's base area.
2. Action Cards - Ace, Jack, Queen, King
Ace - Reduce the point total of base cards you need to win. Place the Ace in your base area to keep track of this effect
1 Ace - player wins when they have 25 or more in their base
2 Aces - 21 points or more to win
3 Aces - 17 points or more to win
4 Aces - 14 points or more to win
Jack - Place all base cards into the heap. This effects both players
Queen - Draw two cards from the resource pile and add them to your hand OR make your opponent discard two cards at random
King - Transfer control of a base card. A base card may be transferred more than once. Place the King behind the card to keep track of transfers place all base cards into the heap. This effects both players

Variants

Tens - Players may play the eight card in their base to make their opponent play with their hand revealed. Play the card horizontly in your base to notify this. Players may play an eight card to destroy this effect.

Jokers - Joker card may be added to the deck. When played players will swap hands.
I think there is the base of something interesting here. Just need to play test it more. If you have the time please do and let me know what you think!