The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 07-20-2014, 04:18 AM
le petite mort

Default The Cardboard Dragon Slayers Super Fan Club: Talking about Magic: the Gathering!

This game totally deserves its own thread, too.

Who else is excited about Mongolia: the Expansion? I haven't played since early BotG and I will probably get back in for fluff alone.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:20 AM
Safe Space

Well, it'll be a mechanics-first set, so it'll probably make for a more engaging game. Even though I know they're trying to slow down the metagame, I hope the set will at least have some decent cards for formats that aren't Standard.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:05 AM
gatchapon 3*

Fuck yeah khans. But I was excited for theros too, and that ended up being hella dull. (brimaz excepted )
Old 07-21-2014, 10:27 PM
who's she

Is it just me or did they somehow suck out all the fun out of duels of the planeswalkers? I loved 2014, it was the perfect "magic-lite." But I've yet to have any fun with 2015.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:00 AM

Brimaz is awesome and the only card I liked in the entire set, however I hope Khans brings more soldier themed cards that I can combine with Preeminent Captain.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:22 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
Is it just me or did they somehow suck out all the fun out of duels of the planeswalkers? I loved 2014, it was the perfect "magic-lite." But I've yet to have any fun with 2015.
As I've said elsewhere, Magic 2015 is exactly what I wanted, but then I've been wanting a Magic game with full deck customizability for awhile. I do think you should unlock a new preconstructed deck at the end of each plane instead of just another booster, though. But I love getting a new booster per win and gradually customizing my deck, eventually having different decks.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:26 AM
TARANTUL

Yeah, I think the precons are way worse and much less fun/focused this time and the unlocking is a lot more random. The upside is that you can build decks and that's great, but it's going to take a lot of playing to get all the cards you want.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:35 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Yeah, I think the precons are way worse and much less fun/focused this time and the unlocking is a lot more random. The upside is that you can build decks and that's great, but it's going to take a lot of playing to get all the cards you want.
Unlocking is random, but at least they make sure you never get more than 4 of a card (Actually, I believe the full pool has 4 of each common, 3 of each uncommon, 2 of each rare, and 1 of each mythic) so there's that.

But yes, it took me until midway through the third plane until I had enough cards for a reasonable second deck that didn't overlap either of my initial two colors.

Although some people may not realize (I didn't until after I had finished the campaign) that you can replay the "Explore Innistrad" (or Ravnica, Shandalar, etc.) encounter multiple times to keep getting more boosters. So you're never totally stuck and you do play against different opponents.

The best quote I found about this version (in an article where Shivam was interviewed) was: "UNLIKE THE PREVIOUS GAMES, YOU WILL NOT HAVE FUN RIGHT OFF THE BAT."
Old 07-22-2014, 08:24 AM
TARANTUL

Yep, that's pretty accurate. It would have been a much better game if they had just made the upfront price like $15-20 and included five-ten solid fun preconstructed decks as a starting point like the previous games.

I'm in Innstrad still, I think, but I'm running non-synergestic curve fillers like Advocate of the Beast (with no beasts) in like a third of my slots with GU. Never mind a second deck.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:22 AM
Safe Space

I'm getting the distinct impression that Wizards is sabotaging the MTG website for some reason. The articles are showing up later and later, the functionality's in the toilet compared to the previous version, and there's no more link to the forums.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:45 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
I'm in Innstrad still, I think, but I'm running non-synergestic curve fillers like Advocate of the Beast (with no beasts) in like a third of my slots with GU. Never mind a second deck.
Yeah, I was lucky to pick U/W as my starting colors, which gives you a pretty good tempo deck to begin with and it isn't hard to get good common U/W 2-4 drops to fill it out early on.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:50 AM
TARANTUL

The description of GU made it sound like my old Eternal Witness/Ninja of the Deep Hours deck with lots of bounce and temp and graveyard recursion of cheap tempo spells.

But it's really just a pile. I mean, I wasn't expecting Aether Vials or anything but
Old 07-22-2014, 11:33 AM
gatchapon 3*

it's funny, i wrote almost an entire essay about the flaws of dotp15 for kollar and he used like five lines =)

I picked WG for my starter, and it's pretty fantastic, with all the convoke and stuff, but there are some matchups that just kick the ever loving shit out of me, like jace illusions.

i'm really curious to see wotc's reaction to this wave of bad press. when even SCG and cardboard crack are abandoning your camp, you've failed pretty badly. for my money, 2012 and the original versions were the best, because the original had the best decks, and 2012 had archenemy.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:38 PM
TARANTUL

I loved the decks in 2014. Loved 'em. Dimir and eldrazi/big green were great.

But unlocking one card at a time was painful. Especially when you unlock a bad card you've already pulled two copies of.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:58 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
I picked WG for my starter, and it's pretty fantastic, with all the convoke and stuff, but there are some matchups that just kick the ever loving shit out of me, like jace illusions.
Jace Illusions does that to almost everyone who hasn't specifically built their deck to beat it. I only won because I drew my two Niblis' of the breath and he mostly drew his "If this creature is the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it".
Old 07-22-2014, 03:00 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
when even SCG and cardboard crack are abandoning your camp, you've failed pretty badly.
Wow, Star City gave it an IGN zero? Damn.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:00 PM
who's she

It might not be so bad if I could switch to another deck. I took the black/green one and it has no way to break a stall and finish the game. And I don't want to spend any time to improve it because I don't like it to begin with. I wonder if I can reinstall the game and start over.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:29 PM
TARANTUL

Oh, god, yes. I forgot about the mana tapping AI went from 'usable' to 'worthless'. It's so bad, especially since you're forced into a two color deck right from the start.

On an entirely unrelated note, I just realized Omnath, Locus of Mana can be pumped without using the stack.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:41 PM
le petite mort

Jesus, these reviews are depressing. Were they trying to snipe Blizzard in the realm of micro-transactions or something? Because they're failing badly if they were trying to ape their business model.

All this is sad, because the DotP series has always been a mindless $10 I was happy to spend. The series has never had as much depth as the regular game, but it was a fun, breezy way to kill a few hours. I am not touching this one with a ten-foot pole.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:48 PM
who's she

I haven't been able to determine if there's an easy or even a hard way to switch decks. But I have been looking at the decklists, which makes it obvious why the decks have no synergy. Each color has half a deck's worth of cards, and the two-color decks are made by sticking those halves together. Very disappointing. This is why, if you pick a green deck, you end up with parts of a beast-centric deck and almost no beasts. Just skimming through, the white-blue and red-blue decks seem best. The red side is weaker overall, but you get a Siege Dragon which seems like the best bomb rare available.

Hmm... Since DOTP on Android is a free download that handles its own transactions, I'm nervous about uninstalling it(probably also means I can't get a refund through Google Play).
Old 07-22-2014, 04:48 PM
gatchapon 3*

that said, playing doubling season and then triplicate spirits and saproling makers and the like is just fucking insane.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:47 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Oh, god, yes. I forgot about the mana tapping AI went from 'usable' to 'worthless'. It's so bad, especially since you're forced into a two color deck right from the start.
Yeah, the interface, user experience, and stability unimprovements are just baffling. Surely they re-used code from the last version?
Old 07-23-2014, 06:56 AM
Oily Butt Thing

funny story time again. The guy I mentioned in the other thread, the L2 judge I work with with the goofy Muzzio deck. He shares a house with two other guys, also judges and big Legacy/Vintage players.

This weekend the place got broken into while they were at SCG Baltimore. Whoever it was took the TV, the PlayStation, etc., usual amateur stuff. They were luckily unaware that if they had searched the place a little more carefully, they could have taken off at a rough estimate maybe 60-70 large in cardboard.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Swag Brotagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahitsu View Post
This game totally deserves its own thread, too.

Who else is excited about Mongolia: the Expansion? I haven't played since early BotG and I will probably get back in for fluff alone.
I guess I can't join you guyses club, since I'm not a cardboard dragon slayer, I'm a cardboard dragon master.

But yeah, I haven't been playing for about as long. As much as I love it here in Seattle, it has not been kind to my desire to play Magic. Finding parking for Card Kingdom is a hell, and after a long week of work and dealing with the commute home, (and lately, the summer heat) I just haven't had it in me to spend an hour in traffic/hunting for a parking spot, with no guarantee that I'll make it in time for FNM, or that they won't have already reached capacity before I finally get inside.

There's a place within walking distance that runs Standard on monday and thursday, (but draft for FNM, bleh) but its really small, and being crammed in a space meant to fit like 1/2 the amount of people that show up just trips my anxiety, and by the time round 3 starts, I'm drained and irritable and ready to drop and go home, regardless of my record. Cramming 6 people into a table meant for 4, and having barely any room to get out, is not cool.

But anyway, I'm excited for Khans. By the time it comes out, the heat will have receded, and I'll be much more likely to force myself to go try for it. I also heard a rumor that it'll have the Onslaught fetches, because at one of the recent GPs a WotC guy was seen talking to a dealer, and after that, they lowered their buylist prices on them. But, y'know, rumors and all that.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
But yeah, I haven't been playing for about as long. As much as I love it here in Seattle, it has not been kind to my desire to play Magic.
If you don't mind going to the other side of the lake, Uncle's Games in Bellevue has Magic events seemingly most nights of the week.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:15 AM
TARANTUL

I want to talk about the mana system again. We've gone over this before, but having played a lot of hearthstone recently, then deciding I don't really like hearthstone mechanically very much has given me some more thoughts on why lands + spells is good.

It's good because lands give your opponent information. This pushes interaction and skillful reading of the game state. Do I swing my bear board when they've got an untapped lanowar elf ready? Is getting in for two worth risking the giant growth? Since most formats are fairly small (even in eternal formats only a very small number of cards see active play) you get a lot of information from your opponents lands. As a limited guy the most important thing to keep in my head during combat the costs of all the best common and uncommon tricks. It's also not just what they can do at instant, but what they can play on their next main, when I see a five lands but only one island I don't need to worry about a prescient chimera, I can run out the vaporkin I just topdecked instead of putting something down on the ground. It really helps push interacting and reading of the opponent.

It's not perfect by any means, there are plenty of times when things go pretty automatically (mountain go, forest bird, lightning bolt bird). I'm pretty sure Garfield created netrunner specially because he wanted a game with more actual bluffing in Magic. But it's something I appreciate a lot more right now.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:11 AM
TARANTUL

Anyone drafted 2015 yet and care to share opinions? I'm doing so this weekend and haven't had time to go over the set in depth.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:58 PM
who's she

Okay, DOTP 2015 is looking up for me now. I reinstalled the game and got to re-choose my starting deck. With a deck that can actually end a game instead of pointlessly stalling, I got through the Innistrad matches, after which you start earning real booster packs and can actually do something with your deck. Now I can see where they were going with this game. But that was a horrible first impression.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:57 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Anyone drafted 2015 yet and care to share opinions? I'm doing so this weekend and haven't had time to go over the set in depth.
I'm playing in a sealed league right now and was going to post another make my deck (even though I've already played two games).

It's definitely a faster format than M14 where it might have correct to draw first with some decks in sealed. Tokens/convoke is definitely a thing that white or green can pull off. Removal tends to be expensive. Mana fixing isn't great.

That's about all I've seen so far.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:18 PM
gatchapon 3*

holy shit, today's mtg announcements!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosewater
Khans of Tarkir
- Wedges! Tarkir is Bizarralara!
- Morph returns!
- Large/small/large where the small set is drafted with both large sets
- The block is a time travel story
- Khans of Tarkir is a wedge set but it is not a wedge block as the story is about change
- The five clans are based off of aspects of dragons: endurance, cunning, ruthlessness, speed and savagery (based around a single color in WUBRG order with one ally and one enemy)
- Each clan gets it’s own mechanic plus morph so there are six mechanics in Khans
- Each clan has a three-color leader (aka the khans) who were all introduced
From The Vault: Annihilation
- We showed four cards: Armageddon, Rolling Earthquake, Living Death and Cataclysm, all, except Rolling Earthquake with art either new or never before printed on a card

Speed vs. Cunning
- The two sides represent aspects of the dragon matching the clans Mardu and Jeskai.
- We showed off Zurgo Helmsmasher - 2RWB - 7/2 - Haste, Must attack each turn, indestructible on your turn, whenever a creature damaged by Zurgo dies, put a +1/+1 on Zurgo.

Duel Decks, Anthology

- New product, combines the first four Duel Decks (Elves vs. Goblins, Jace vs. Chandra, Divine vs. Demonic & Garruk vs. Liliana) all in new card frames

Commander

- Monocolor decks
- Commanders are cycle of monocolored planeswalkers (special ones allowed to be Commanders)
- We showed off Teferi - 4UU - Loyalty 5 - +1: Look at top 2 cards of library, one in hand & one on bottom of library. -1: Untap up to four permanents. -10: you get an emblem letting you play planeswalkers abilities on other players’ turns. This card can be played as a Commander
- Cycle of monocolored legendary creatures that are characters from Magic’s past that never got a card
- Showed off Ghoulcaller Gisa - 3BB - 3/4 - B, Sacrifice another creature: Put X 2/2 zombie tokens onto the battlefield where X is sacced creature’s power.

Prereleases
- Instead of five prerelease cards, one per color now forty, eight per color
- Khans prerelease will have you pick a clan, five boxes
- Activity where you fight for your clan
this is ridiculous. amazing, but ridiculous.

Tags
card games , ccg , magic the gathering , traditional games , wotc