The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 02-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Default The "Not worth its own thread" thread - Creative Edition

I'm currently trying to redesign one of my old comic characters so she looks black without cheating with skin tones or turning her into a horrible caricature. Kind of difficult, actually. Racially distinct cartoon characters are tricky.

When I grow up I want to be Alison Bechdel:
Old 02-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Dinger!

That does a pretty good job, I think. And it does look a lot like Bechdel's stuff.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Crazy Old Bird

It is Bechdel's stuff.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
It is Bechdel's stuff.
Oh! I was confused! I thought that was an example of your work. Nevermind then, you can ignore me.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:14 AM
Better be the real thing.

I'm getting close to the end of the current draft of my novel. I had to rewrite virtually the entire middle, but everything else mostly required medium revision. I think I'm on track to finish this by my birthday next week, and begin a more focused revision soon after that.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Crazy Old Bird

First novel?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:20 AM

Very much so. I also need to send out some short stories; there are some I meant to back in December, two that got rejected, and one that's still pending. It's time I got published, dangit.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Not a Beer

My wife has been in revision hell with her first novel for months now. I can't say I envy that part of the process. She got a short story published in the meantime, though! I'm proud of her. Though I do hope she can get the novel to a point where she's happy enough to submit it before she gets utterly, completely sick of it. I hear this is often a problem with novels.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:35 AM

Yeah. I wrote a big blog post a few months ago about editing and the general approach I've been trying to follow ever since. I think I'll skim through The Artful Edit again after this draft is done.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:02 AM

I'm trying to relearn how to draw eyes. The lazy way I do it has character:

but it's got to go. It's very prone to not looking symmetrical, it's not very expressive (is this a sad eye or is it angry about something down?) and it looks weird at angles that aren't straight on or 3/4.

Unfortunately, most of my attempts to do something a little more robust either don't have any character (doing circles or two curved lines that join up on either end of the eyeball) or don't really fix the problem.

I figure my biggest problem is getting some variation in the upper eyelid so I can raise or lower it as required, but the fact that it isn't working suggests that I might have misdiagnosed the problem.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:56 AM
An Animal of Joy

Hey Merus, I usually consider myself to be "carving" out the eyes (or forms in general" from the white surface. So (1) I start with really general lines, usually two curves that don't connect. This locates the eye, but you're not really committed to anything yet, and you can change the angles or distances without having to do a lot of extra work.

(2) I add in creases above and below the eye. Different people have it to different degrees, but this helps give some indication that there is indeed a sphere in there. I'll connect the top and bottom curves with little half circles, and decide how prominent the corners of the eye are going to be for this person. I added value to show the iris and pupil without sweating roundness, they just have to be roughly the same size dark circles.

(3)I lovered the top lid and dilated the pupil a little since the previous eyes looed surprised, after step 2 you can start getting the feeling of the expression while still being able to change it with minimal effort. I added hashes to give the top and bottom lids more dimensionality, and solid value to the irises.

(4) The eye was pretty much fully defined, so I just added some more value to the surrounding area to suggest its relationship with the rest of the face, and some reflected lights to suggest a relationship with the surroundings.

The nice thing about eyes is that there is such variety in life that it's easy to come up with something that looks plausible, especially since most people's eyes are asymmetrical. I hope this help you or someone. It was a nice warm up.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:46 AM
#deadfish2017

Merus, your problem made me think of this. Maybe it'll help?
Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Merus, your problem made me think of this. Maybe it'll help?
Thought I'd check in: this actually did help quite a bit, in that it gave me a few avenues to try fiddling with the shapes. I'm getting to a point where I like the look but I can play with the lines to make expressions clearer, but I'm going to bust out an expression book to get it a little more robust.

I like the way big pupils looks, but I also really like drawing irises. I'm going to play around with that - one thought is that I might just do irises when I colour, and give the pupil a textured edge that suggests the iris. I'm going to try it out to see if it looks dumb, and if not, might keep that.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:07 PM
I. Love. It.

I doodled this for the BGMF Thunderdome Remix II thread and I feel pretty cool about it.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:14 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

we painted and installed some tiny little bow-shaped shelves so my girlfriend could put some ponies on them!

it ain't easy bein' this gangsta
Old 03-02-2011, 03:43 PM
crazy sniffable

BOW SHELVES WHERE GET THEM? WANT
Old 03-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Conquers the World

I can't wait to tell you guys about my possible webcomic because one of my friends and I accidentally came up with the best title for it. Even if the comic itself sucks, I will forever be proud of the title.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:29 PM
actually an eevee

neeeeeeeed mooooooore muuuuuucha postersssssssssssssssssss

I knew I recognized her, though! She's summer!
Old 03-04-2011, 10:30 AM

If you guys are looking for a blog that updates with a lot crazy, freaky, awesome stuff check out 50 Watts (formerly known as A Journey Round My Skull). Has to be one the better channels of the crazy stuff I used to catch on Jahsonic, only with less extensive culture stuff.

Samples:

Harry Clarke
Erin Blumenfield
Phil Kirkland
Old 03-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Come, noble knights!

We got a brand new Wacom Bamboo tablet today! It's a bit...different than we expected it to be,* but this baby's gonna be fun to draw digital art with once we get accustomed to using it.

*Keep in mind this is our first tablet. I was thinking it'd be less like a pen that works like a mouse, and more like a DS touchscreen. Oh well, it'll be fun to learn.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 PM
actually an eevee

It is pretty confusing, especially since you can't adjust the orientation of the device (in my lap, for me typically) without taking in account the angle of your "paper" effectively changing, but the screen doesn't reflect that! so you have to do it allll mentally
Old 03-08-2011, 10:07 AM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
*Keep in mind this is our first tablet. I was thinking it'd be less like a pen that works like a mouse, and more like a DS touchscreen. Oh well, it'll be fun to learn.
Yeah, they only make ones with screens in them for $1K or $2k. Which is just silly considering they're only I/O devices and you could get an entire touchscreen tablet PC for like half the price and hook it up with wacom drivers.

Anyway, it may superficially work like a mouse, but you should be able to adjust the brushes in whatever you're using to so that it also controls angle, diameter, opacity, pretty much anything, all using the angle and pressure information from the stylus. If you don't have software that has these brush options then get some. Otherwise yes, it is a pen that works like a mouse.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:15 AM

The killer feature for tablets is pressure sensitivity. You can do mouse painting, with care, but pressure gives it the life that frequently doesn't come through from the mouse-drawn stuff.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Come, noble knights!

It sounds like I've still got a lot to learn about tablets. But hey, I found an online tutorial about how to make it work with GiMP* after a quick Google search, so I'll try that out when I get the chance. It's got more options than MS Paint does, and I'd like to learn how to use 'em.

*Which I'd link to here if I wasn't using a candy bar controlled browser with no copy/paste function right now.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:24 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

So in the near future I'll be writing regularity for two of my friends websites.

That's pretty neat.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
It sounds like I've still got a lot to learn about tablets. But hey, I found an online tutorial about how to make it work with GiMP* after a quick Google search, so I'll try that out when I get the chance. It's got more options than MS Paint does, and I'd like to learn how to use 'em.

*Which I'd link to here if I wasn't using a candy bar controlled browser with no copy/paste function right now.
I've been able to use a graphic tablet with GIMP in the past. It worked flawlessly on the Mac, but I've always had issues in Windows (mostly with the offset: I would click on the drawing and the line would appear somewhere else. Quite annoying.) I can't remember if I have tried Linux or not.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:33 AM
An Animal of Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywatson View Post
I've been able to use a graphic tablet with GIMP in the past. It worked flawlessly on the Mac, but I've always had issues in Windows (mostly with the offset: I would click on the drawing and the line would appear somewhere else. Quite annoying.) I can't remember if I have tried Linux or not.
That's pretty inexplicable.

Oh wait, no it's not. Windows has it's own (crappy)graphics tablet process which engages automatically that can drop your performance like a rock and cause other bugginess if you're using the wacom drivers. Basically it's two sets of drivers trying to interpret your input simultaneously. Next time you try it you should look in your processes and stop the microsoft ones. You might have to do this every time you start working.

Are you continuing your drawing lessons?
Old 03-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
That's pretty inexplicable.

Oh wait, no it's not. Windows has it's own (crappy)graphics tablet process which engages automatically that can drop your performance like a rock and cause other bugginess if you're using the wacom drivers. Basically it's two sets of drivers trying to interpret your input simultaneously. Next time you try it you should look in your processes and stop the microsoft ones. You might have to do this every time you start working.

Are you continuing your drawing lessons?
I will give that a try this weekend if I have a few minutes! Though my new desktop uses Windows 7, we'll see if that changes anything. (Probably not).

I am continuing my drawing lessons. Or rather, I would be continuing them if I was not traveling. The good news is I'll be home this week, so I should be able to have one lesson, plus my regular weekly class. Which reminds me that I still have not completed the homework from 3 weeks ago. The bad news is that I'll probably be back on the road the following week, traveling to Wisconsin this time. Oh well, it's not confirmed yet, so I'll keep my fingers crossed, hoping to be able to be home another week.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:14 PM
We just don't know.

I'm writing a song! This is something that I don't do, but it came to me part and parcel with a game/story idea in a dream, and now I'm trying to hash one out. As well as trying to fight down thoughts of impostorhood for writing an Irish folk song without any Irish. Also worrying over whether the tune is already an actual Irish folk song, which is possible! I don't know much about Irish folk songs!

All in all (game, world, story, song, name) this is one of the few new ideas I've had recently, and it makes me pretty happy to put together something like this from whole cloth. Not that it's near done.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:31 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
I'm writing a song! This is something that I don't do, but it came to me part and parcel with a game/story idea in a dream, and now I'm trying to hash one out. As well as trying to fight down thoughts of impostorhood for writing an Irish folk song without any Irish. Also worrying over whether the tune is already an actual Irish folk song, which is possible! I don't know much about Irish folk songs!

All in all (game, world, story, song, name) this is one of the few new ideas I've had recently, and it makes me pretty happy to put together something like this from whole cloth. Not that it's near done.
Apparently it is as I feared - I realized that the tune is almost entirely lifted from Believe Me if All Those Endearing Young Charms. At least for the first phrase of it. Thanks a lot, Looney Tunes! Trying to re-do it now... but I'm not good with the musics!

Tags
not worth its own thread