The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 07-17-2017, 08:43 AM
is Earnest

I added character sheets for Richard S. and William B. in Roll 20. Not sure which TT users you are. Also, I've been adding to the player roster in the first post once the characters are built. I've also been trying to keep levels there accurate, but let me know if I miss anything.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:07 PM

Oh come on now, R^2 my friend, you know I can throw myself down into a defensive ball curl and cry on the floor if something gets too rough. Also, I'm William. Also, I wanted to clarify because R^2 messaged me on the IRC, I've been working 12 hour days(I work 10-12 hour days Saturday-Tuesday) and I will be making my guy and doing the Roll20 thing on either Tuesday after work if I'm not too tired or Wednesday in the afternoon.

Last edited by Malikial; 07-17-2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:00 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

What time is kickoff tomorrow?
Old 07-19-2017, 09:00 PM

I made my guy, Arak, an Elvish Cleric. He's edited as well as I think I could do, I hope I did it all right. Also, added some art but I dunno how to make a token.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:38 AM
is Earnest

Looks good! The only error I found is that your spell save DC should be 8+proficiency+wisdom, so 13 total.

I'll be free tonight at 6:30 Central or anytime after that. Let me know when you all want to start.

Last edited by Patrick; 07-20-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:33 PM

I'm around whenever you guys say go.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:34 PM
is Earnest

Sorry, 6:30 Central Time.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:39 PM

American time zones confuse the sad sad man but I got it because I happen to be in that one. Fucking Central. CENTRAL STANDARD? DAYLIGHT? Ugh, I'm so confused by why we use this shit. GMT so much easier. Granted, due to my job I use 24 hour clock and international time zones so eh. Maybe it is Mali that is the weirdo.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:23 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Written in common and posted to the corkboard:

Quote:
The Oro Awro Orrok The Prairie to the North
by Bell

Two people went missing when they were exploring the grass fields north of Aelusk. Mia and Echo and Arak who just got here and me went to look for them.

If you follow the trail by the river north you will see a little shed and a ruined dock. Turn east away from the river and go for about a watch and you will see a little village that is all broken and ruined. It is broken because skeletons live there and skeletons do not take care of where they live.

There is a man who lives in the church in that village who talks to the skeletons and knows magic. He uses the church bell to talk to the skeletons and tell them what to do which is v. annoying to me.

Also Mia told me to write that he can make big poison clouds with his magic and they are very dangerous Mia is certain she almost died and Echo said yes they did almost die. I don't know because I was fighting more skeletons at the time but I would take some antitoxin with you if you go to see him.

I think the two people who are missing are skeletons now.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:17 AM
is Earnest

XP:
Explorers: Bell, Echo, Mia, Arak
Discoveries: River pier and hut (300), Abandoned town (300)
Treasure: Lapis Lazuli Gemstone (10), Gold Bracelet (25), 4 Silver, Skull Dagger (10), 3 Healing Potions (150)
Monsters: 2 Skeletons (100), encountered Specters (200), necromancer and 6 Skeletons (1,300)
/ 4 = 598 each

On one hand, when you find an abandoned town full of ghosts, and a church surrounded by a graveyard and full of skeletons, you sneak in and a voice from above warns you away multiple times, and you can detect necromantic magic from above, you should probably not run up and start a fight.

On the other hand, that guy was super powerful and that was incredibly close to two dead characters based on a single spell, so maybe I should have made it a bit more fair or warned you away more? I'm glad that everyone made it out alive but I'm feeling a bit conflicted about it.

Anyway, here are a few additions and clarifications that I owe you all:

Downtime – if you want to do a downtime activity from the Player's Handbook, declare it in this thread. You can earn 5 days of downtime toward that goal for each session you play. If you want to do something that costs money, you need to spend the money when you start the activity. If there aren't clear guidelines for doing something, ask me and we'll work it out.

Treasure – I have a new treasure chart to roll on that's more in line with my expectations for finding treasure in the world. You're not just going to find gold everywhere in the wilderness, so when you do find it I want it to be special. Additionally, Draugma, Cheyrn, Verana, Mag, and Father Tio each receive a Star Rose Quartz gemstone (worth 50g), and Bell, Echo, Parrot, and Mia each receive a Tourmaline gemstone (worth 100g) to boost their earlier hauls.

Also, I've seen some discussion about not being able to get very far from the outpost in sessions. Keep in mind that the encounter table can sometimes let you move very fast or will slow you down. You can often avoid encounters even if there's something nearby. Also, as you level up it will become pretty easy to get out past the starting areas, so don't worry too much about not being able to move forward. It's a big world and there's a lot going on. Strike out in a new direction and pay attention to what's going on around you.

I'm busy this weekend, but I think I should be more open next week. I'll post an update with some concrete days soon.

Last edited by Patrick; 07-22-2017 at 03:46 PM. Reason: added
Old 07-21-2017, 11:47 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

"He did warn us." came up more than once in post-session conversation.

I get a free tool proficiency from my level up. Any recommendations from the group as a whole?
Old 07-21-2017, 07:39 PM
We just don't know.

I wanna play this week! I'm free Monday and Wednesday

Also, what direction was the cave/old church in? Do we have the beginnings of a map?

...How about cartographer's tools, R^2?
Old 07-21-2017, 08:51 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
I wanna play this week! I'm free Monday and Wednesday

Also, what direction was the cave/old church in? Do we have the beginnings of a map?

...How about cartographer's tools, R^2?
The Smokehole (this is its new name, I declare it thus) was southeast.

It would be nice to see an updated map, though.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:38 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

I'm not sure we've gone far enough in any direction to stretch the map out any further. I don't think anyone's gone more than a day's march from Aelusk, and save for a survey from the top of Belltower to the northwest we haven't seen much. I don't know if we ever got a scale for the hex map.

Re: treasure: Do we have an appraisal on that skull athame or lapis lazuli we found while we were out?

Bell's going to start training in Athletics between outings, so each trip is gonna cost 5 gp in training expenses.

Once we get to a point where we can afford magic items, can we commission those from the mage-poets (or other spellcaster/craftsmen PCs)?
Old 07-21-2017, 10:36 PM
hi there

I personally kinda assumed each hex was a watch. Considering we've gone far enough up-river to see it fork again, and that fork isn't represented on the map, I'm pretty certain we've gone beyond the map's borders.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:52 PM
is Earnest

Correct, hexes are 6 miles top to bottom, 7 miles straight across, and take 1 watch to walk through. You have covered multiple hexes in each session.

R^2, I forgot to add the treasure from the cabin. I'll edit my earlier post when I'm near my computer.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:05 PM
We just don't know.

Any word on this week? Monday? Wednesday?
Old 07-23-2017, 09:26 PM
is Earnest

I'm free Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, but I need at least one of those days to run some errands & do chores. Also, I'm going to have to bring my car to get repaired, so we may need to start later one of the days. I think we should be able to have 2 sessions though.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:52 PM
We just don't know.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I'm free Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, but I need at least one of those days to run some errands & do chores. Also, I'm going to have to bring my car to get repaired, so we may need to start later one of the days. I think we should be able to have 2 sessions though.
Woo! I'm down for at least one of those days if not both.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:55 PM
hi there

I'm open for any of those~
Old 07-24-2017, 01:01 AM

I'm available Wednesday if it's after 5 PM GMT-5.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:45 PM
We just don't know.

Not to badger but are we on for tonight?
Old 07-24-2017, 01:51 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

If you need a guy I can be in probably around 6 Central-ish.

I mean I'm concentrating on cranking out PoGo while the extra candy extra experience extra stardust low-distance egg event is still happening but it ends middle of the evening tonight.

(I've told Vecna, Crowe, and my wife that registration is open, so I'll give 'em one more punch in the arm about games this week and then it's up to them.)
Old 07-24-2017, 02:19 PM
is Earnest

I should be free by 6:30 Central tonight.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:22 AM
is Earnest

No recap yet, but here's the XP:

Explorers: Mag, Bell, Cheyrn, Echo
Discoveries: Giant Snake Cave (300)
Treasure: 626 Copper Coins (6), 378 Silver Coins (37), 322 Gold Coins (322), Stoppered Vial of Liquid (500), Ring of Water Walking (500),
Monsters: 4 Giant Wolf Spiders (200), 2 Giant Constrictor Snakes (900), 7 Firenewt Warriors (700), 2 Firenewt Warlocks of Imix (400)
/ 4 = 967 each

Yow! I'm going to get errands done tonight, but I'll be free on Wednesday.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:14 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Did I get Inspiration for my last recap? (How bout that skull athame huh)

If we want to pawn off old equipment, what's the return?
Old 07-25-2017, 04:43 PM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by R^2 View Post
Did I get Inspiration for my last recap? (How bout that skull athame huh)

If we want to pawn off old equipment, what's the return?
Yes, I forgot to mention inspiration for that. Thanks for catching.

I mentioned the skull dagger in the xp roundup for that session. Was there something else?

I believe the general 5e rule is that equipment can be sold back for half price. Equipment that you find in the field can be used normally, but merchants aren't interested in buying it.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:41 PM
We just don't know.

I'll be there with murder if you need me!
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
is Earnest

Sorry, I think I'm going to need to take tonight off after all. I had a run in with the sidewalk on Monday night and I'm still pretty sore. I think it'd be better if I rest tonight instead of sitting up at a desk (as lame as that sounds).

I will be free Sunday night. Not sure about next week yet.
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM
We just don't know.

No worries, take care of yourself. This next week I'm pretty much wide open, so Y'all just let me know when everyone else is available.

Tags
attempted murder , dungeons and dragons , penalty for being bard