The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 06-27-2017, 01:04 PM

Miniature Market apparently has an amazing shipping team. I ordered CW on Friday night and it showed up today. It helps it's only about a state away. Illinois to st.louis MO, but i definitely expected them to take the full 7 business days.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:35 AM
King Of Space-Time

You have my attention, Hasbro.

Via Polygon

Monopoly Gamer Edition reinvents the classic with Super Mario, power-ups and more

Quote:

Monopoly Gamer, according to a press release from manufacturer Hasbro, deviates from the classic board game in some big ways. Instead of buying up property and racking up cash, players will “complete levels” and collect coins. The biggest changes are the addition of power-ups and boss battles, which will see the Mario, Donkey Kong, Princess Peach and Yoshi tokens taking on some “legendary bosses” — presumably Bowser and his relatives.

Power-ups will require a separate die and give players a boost for cashing out from the bank and racking up board space. Each character has a unique skill, just as they would in a standard Mario game.Check out the demo above to see how these work in-game.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:45 AM
We just don't know.

A few days back I finally cracked open and got to play Planet Steam. It took a looong time to read the rules and get set up, but once we did it actually played relatively easily but with a toooon of interacting variables that made for a lot of interesting strategy. I really liked it!
Old 06-29-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
A few days back I finally cracked open and got to play Planet Steam. It took a looong time to read the rules and get set up, but once we did it actually played relatively easily but with a toooon of interacting variables that made for a lot of interesting strategy. I really liked it!
Yeah. We should definitely play that again. Raygun Sunday or next week sometime?
Old 06-29-2017, 10:18 AM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Planet Steam is a great economic game, and one of two different games that implement MULE in a board game:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/23094/planet-steam
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...ule-board-game

I have not played MULE The Board Game, but I enjoy PS quite a bit.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:42 AM

I've always thought M.U.L.E. would work great as a board game. Find a good way to handle the effects of food and you basically don't need to lift a finger.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:39 AM
and ermine, too

3x Sheep 'n' Sheep
1x Arkham Horror: The Card Game
1x Nubia (new)
3x The Lost Expedition (new)
5x Okey Dokey
3x Trains (+ Coastal Tides)
2x Villannex (new)
3x Savanna Trick (new)
2x Automobiles (+ Racing Season)
1x Three-Dragon Ante

I played through the rest of the games in the Japanese box this week.

The Lost Expedition and Okey Dokey are both solitaire games (with cooperative variants) of very different types. I'm enjoying them both.

I like what Racing Season adds to Automobiles, even though I'm still not thrilled by the moment-to-moment of actually maneuvering around the track.

Not sure how I will fall on Savanna Trick, although it works with three players which isn't always the case for trick-taking games.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:09 PM
Lucky In Love

8 Minute Empires: Legends was kinda fun, but it's a bit painful to be drafting these characters only to get a single use out of them. Also there wasn't that much competition or interaction even with 4 players on a small board. It epitomizes the type of euro game that ends without any kind of climactic event.

Spice Road was pretty bland, but it had nice components and beautiful artwork. You shuffle around cubes of 4 different types in your tiny inventory until you can buy a point card. Sometimes you get a real metal coin for a few bonus points.

Thebes was the best game of the day. It's a fun colonial pillaging/grave-robbing game with fun planning and time-management aspects, but you could have either rotten or amazing luck drawing point chips from the bags that represent your digs. Half the chips are "sand" and the ratio usually gets worse once the sites have been hit by other players.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:49 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugu13 View Post
Yeah. We should definitely play that again. Raygun Sunday or next week sometime?
Sorry, just saw this! This week and weekend will probably be busy (as was last weekend), but I do need more board game time.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:28 PM
Space dad

So, uh, anyone from these parts want to play an actual, physical game of Twilight Imperium? On Saturday? In the East Bay? Drop me a line.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:57 AM
LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY

I would actually do that if Arkansas happened to be in the SF metro area.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:14 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
So, uh, anyone from these parts want to play an actual, physical game of Twilight Imperium? On Saturday? In the East Bay? Drop me a line.
I'd love to set aside a weekend for that, but I don't have my passport.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:06 PM
Space dad

WELL MAYBE I'LL JUST HAVE TO DO ANOTHER PBF GAME THEN

OK, I thiiiiiink we could do this with Vassal similarly to how I ran the Cthulhu Wars games: have a Vassal file with the game state uploaded to Dropbox, then each player downloads it, makes changes based on their turn if needed, and uploads the new file for the next player to download. All files will have their own name and order specified so we can track back any mistakes. No one player is the GM, and everyone pitches in on updating and uploading screens of the map. Plus Vassal takes care of card draws, I think. I'll check into it further.

Last edited by Sarcasmorator; 07-07-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:32 AM
and ermine, too

1x Innovation
1x 1846
1x Flash Point: Fire Rescue
1x Arkham Horror: The Card Game
1x Dominion
1x Keyflower
1x Thebes
1x Ticket to Ride
4x Codenames
2x For Sale
2x Fuji Flush
1x Bohnanza: The Duel (new)
1x Dixit
1x EXIT: The Game - The Pharaoh's Tomb (new)
1x The Grizzled
1x Legendary Encounters: Alien
1x Mysterium
1x NMBR 9
1x Okey Dokey
1x Guns & Steel (new)

On July 4, we played a game of 1846 where I felt like I was able to plan and execute a successful train handoff for the first time. Someone should have started the C&O, but no one wanted to - I started the B&O to buy a train and create a route for GT, and I won for the first time with only four corporations floated.

We also made another attempt at Arkham Horror: The Card Game, now that all three of us have found decent decks. I've been enjoying AH most as a 3p game, even though you need multiple core sets.

On Friday, we played Bohnanza: The Duel (interested, need to play more) and Guns & Steel (short, seems to have some nice variation game to game, and satisfying planning)

We had (game-curious) company for the weekend, and used the shotgun approach to see what they might enjoy. Some games went over better than others - Flash Point, The Grizzled, and Mysterium were winners. They even bought Flash Point while they were in here. I suggested a few card games after I learned they were a lapsed M:tG player, but both Dominion and Innovation got strong negative reactions along the lines of "let's never play these again." Dominion was my gateway from Magic to hobby board games, but you can really never tell!

We also played EXIT - The Pharaoh's Tomb, which is our fourth escape room game. 70 minutes, 10-20 of which was variations on failing to input the correct answer we already knew. Most of that is my fault :P

Now I have a second big box of Japanese games to play through (Emperor's Choice), and the Innovation: Deluxe KS is arriving today. Between the holiday and the weekend, it's been a lot of gaming for a non-convention week.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:46 PM
King Of Space-Time

Soon to arrive on Kickstarter

Quote:
This 10th Anniversary Jumbo Edition of Container features resin miniature ships over 7 inches long!
Old 07-12-2017, 06:56 AM
LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pence View Post
We had (game-curious) company for the weekend, and used the shotgun approach to see what they might enjoy. Some games went over better than others - Flash Point, The Grizzled, and Mysterium were winners. They even bought Flash Point while they were in here. I suggested a few card games after I learned they were a lapsed M:tG player, but both Dominion and Innovation got strong negative reactions along the lines of "let's never play these again." Dominion was my gateway from Magic to hobby board games, but you can really never tell!
I love Flash Point and Mysterium. Mysterium took what I liked about Dixit and made it into a game I enjoy playing.

Bride of Dracula loves Innovation but I'm not a huge fan. I think it has some of the worst graphic design I've ever seen on a popular hobby game. It may have had an upgrade since we bought our copy, though.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:05 AM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Bride of Dracula loves Innovation but I'm not a huge fan. I think it has some of the worst graphic design I've ever seen on a popular hobby game. It may have had an upgrade since we bought our copy, though.
As someone who has played 100+ games of Innovation, the design is 100% necessary for the game state to be readable from across the table, and serves that purpose well. I also don't think it looks bad at all - I honestly like the way the two-tone icons and austere checkerboard aesthetic looks on the table - but that's a matter of taste.

There are a lot of pretty games with "bad graphic design" and there are a lot of ugly games with fantastic graphic design. The Iello version of Innovation mortgages the Asmodee version's card layout to accommodate artwork and busy frames that make the game significantly harder to play (Iello's icons recede into borderless circular vignettes that don't pop from the cards), but if you asked the average person to take the Pepsi challenge on a single card, they'd pick the Iello version every time.

Last edited by pence; 07-12-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:05 AM
We just don't know.

Apparently level 99 is gearing up for an Argent: The Consortium version 2 update Kickstarter, with updated pieces for easier identification of whose pieces are whose et al. The Kickstarter includes an upgrade kit where you can upgrade your base game, or the full version? O:
Old 07-12-2017, 01:12 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Apparently level 99 is gearing up for an Argent: The Consortium version 2 update Kickstarter, with updated pieces for easier identification of whose pieces are whose et al. The Kickstarter includes an upgrade kit where you can upgrade your base game, or the full version? O:
And a new expansion, and updated cards incorporating significant errata which is good as there's some stuff in Argent that's just totally wrong as printed.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:45 AM
and ermine, too

3x Innovation: Cities of Destiny (new)
1x 6 Nimmt!
2x Coffee Roaster (new)
1x Emperor's Choice (new)
3x Heat Up Live! (new)
1x Shephy
1x Space Beans
1x Sticheln (new)
1x Ticket to Ride Team Asia (new)
1x Maigo-Neko (new)
1x Vast: The Crystal Caverns
1x Automobiles Racing Season

Innovation Deluxe arrived last week and we spent some time with one of the two "new" expansions (they're not new if you've been playing on isotropic). I really enjoy Cities on its own, we're going to play with Artifacts of History this week. Playing with all four expansions eventually is not out of the question.

Heat Up Live feels like an arcade puzzle game. I don't know about my long term prospects for any of the Japanese solo games (Coffee Roaster, Heat Up Live!, and Shephy) but where else are you going to find a game about playing a concert as an idol group?

Sticheln is a trick-taker from 1993, probably coming with me to the next PAX. Space Beans is actually better than I remember, and I didn't dislike it before.

Team Asia is an interesting TtR variant, makes me wish I had more opportunities to play partnership games.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:10 AM
Lucky In Love

Played 4 player Eldritch Horror against Hypnos, and it was really, really easy! We were only down 2 Doom out of 12, and finished the final mystery after about 2.5 hours. One investigator got devoured by a specific mythos card because he was lost in time and space at the moment. Otherwise we were locking down portals left and right and swimming in clue tokens. My investigator finished with 13 asset cards, many of which I never got to use because there was nothing that needed to get punched all game. We banished almost everything with spells and assets, and Hypnos's cultists just need to be woken up with a Will check, not punched.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:02 PM
Family Man

What's a fun, involving board game to play with two to three people who only know how to play Sorry! and Clue?
Old 07-18-2017, 02:14 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
What's a fun, involving board game to play with two to three people who only know how to play Sorry! and Clue?
Carcassonne. You don't have a ton of state or resources to track round-to-round, but you've got an introduction to the kinds of decision-making that underpin more complex games.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:16 PM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Is that 2-3 total? Or 3-4 including you?

Carcassonne, Karuba, or Can't Stop are great games with some interesting decisions that (in my experience) nearly anyone can enjoy.

With more than two players, also consider Deep Sea Adventure and Ticket to Ride.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:42 PM
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pence View Post
Is that 2-3 total? Or 3-4 including you?

Carcassonne, Karuba, or Can't Stop are great games with some interesting decisions that (in my experience) nearly anyone can enjoy.

With more than two players, also consider Deep Sea Adventure and Ticket to Ride.
I'm included in the group of board game noobs.

I saw Carcassone and Ticket to Ride at the store when I was looking, but felt intimidated by their complexity and price. I will give them a shot when more money is available. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2017, 03:42 PM
and ermine, too

Quote:
I saw Carcassone and Ticket to Ride at the store when I was looking, but felt intimidated by their complexity and price. I will give them a shot when more money is available. Thanks!
If you're intimidated and want to know more, there are some 5-10 minute videos that run through the rules pretty well. The TtR one is for the digital version but the rules are the same :P

Old 07-18-2017, 03:58 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

If you're talking about vanilla Ticket to Ride or Carcassonne, they are definitely much less complex to play than they might appear!

Ticket to Ride is basically "Draw cards. Use [color] cards to build [color] train tracks."

Carcassonne is even more intuitive: connect pictures so that they make visual sense (field connects to field, road to road, building to building, etc.), and sometimes put a guy on a geographic element or building to claim it as your own.

Carcassonne has one scoring rule that is kind of complicated for new players (scoring farms), but you can basically just ignore it and match the pictures on your first playthrough and figure out scores once it's all over. This turns the first match into a game of chance (because farms can bring in a lot of points), but after you've scored one game, the strategy will pretty quickly become really clear.

I would say of both games Carcassonne is the most fun with just two players, so if 2-3 will occasionally be just two, wait for a sale and go with that when it's at a price you're comfortable with. (It's still one of our most frequently played simple board games for two almost a decade later, so for us at least it's been a pretty good value proposition.)
Old 07-18-2017, 04:07 PM
Inherently Stealthy

If you're wary, you can also pick up reasonably-priced app versions of both; Carcassonne, eg, is $9.99 on iOS. I bought TTR so long ago I don't remember what it cost. I believe both have pass-and-play modes, so you can give it a try with other players and have the app handle the rules for you.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:57 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

BTW, if you were put off by the prices for physical Carcassone on Amazon right now, it's super expensive because it's out of stock and only 3rd party opportunist sellers are offering it at a big markup. When it's in stock, should be able to get it for ~$30-$35+, or around ~$20-$25+ during a sale.

(A lot of boardgame stocks are pretty fickle, so in general it's a good idea to compare the offered price to the MSRP to make sure you're not getting ripped off on something that's in print but low on stock at the moment...)
Old 07-19-2017, 12:35 AM
Space dad

Cthulhu Wars is now in its third Kickstarter round, with a bunch of new stuff. Not a bad way to get into the game if you're interested.

Tags
afk , bard games , board dames , board games , board james , broad games , dice , face to face , penalty for being board , tabletop games , traditional games , wait whose turn is it