The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 06-01-2017, 08:18 AM
kill

Dang. I checked a Wal-Mart but it was just one of those neighborhood market grocery store kind. Guess I gotta go big.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:57 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

So I'm drinking it now and it tastes like it's tailor-made for college students to dump their Fireball into.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Just bear with me

Coke is thinking about dumping Coke Zero? THIS WILL NOT STAND
Old 06-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Coke is thinking about dumping Coke Zero? THIS WILL NOT STAND
I mean the superior Diet Coke is RIGHT there!
Old 06-08-2017, 08:33 PM
This Guy

Coke Zero > Diet Coke. No contest.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:21 AM
Is there not one thing

I'll definitely drink less soda if that happens. Everything's coming up Ample.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:22 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Yeah, my soda intake these days is mostly Cherry Zero with the occasional bottle of Mexican Coke as a treat (basically once a week whenever I go to the grocery store). Pepsi MAX was sort of okay, I guess I could try that again.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:54 AM
..and his little cat, too

Pepsi Throwback is back! I may have to get some, though Coke Life may have filled the need for me... guess I'll have to get a bottle and see.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:28 AM
Just bear with me

http://www.businessinsider.com/coke-...o-sugar-2017-7

Grr. Here's a choice quote from that article.

Quote:
Coke Zero is already a major hit outside the US, with growth figures reaching the teens. In the US, Coke Zero sales grew 3.5% in 2016.
So when you have a major hit, the clear choice of action is to throw it in the trash and replace it with something else! That's never backfired before!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:49 AM
Peter Parker's Webcam

and amusingly enough new coke existed entirely so that coke could retire the sugar-sweetened formula and replace it with the corn syrup sweetened formula that was cheaper to manufacture, a cost saving measure

that the revised coke was more popular than ever before was an unexpected side benefit and why the one cokehead said "we're not that smart, and we're not that stupid"
Old 07-26-2017, 09:55 AM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
and amusingly enough new coke existed entirely so that coke could retire the sugar-sweetened formula and replace it with the corn syrup sweetened formula that was cheaper to manufacture, a cost saving measure

that the revised coke was more popular than ever before was an unexpected side benefit and why the one cokehead said "we're not that smart, and we're not that stupid"
Snopes says no:

Quote:
An interesting little claim sprang up in the wake of the introduction of Classic Coke, one having to do with its sweetener. People swore they detected a change in the flavor between Classic Coke and the original. This gave rise to the rumor that the product had been reformulated, dropping cane sugar in favor of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). Depending upon whom you listened to, either the demand for the return of original Coca-Cola afforded the company the opportunity to switch from cane sugar to corn syrup or the whole fiasco of taking original Coca-Cola off the shelves and reintroducing it three months later as Classic Coke was all a brilliant scheme to mask the change in sweetener. According to whispered wisdom, the company had hoped to slip the modification past consumers by having it take place during the original beverage’s absence from the shelves. People would be so darned glad to have Classic Coke back that they wouldn’t notice it didn’t taste the same as original Coca-Cola. (Another twist to this rumor had it that New Coke had deliberately been formulated to taste awful in order to facilitate the switch — this supposedly gave Coca-Cola an excuse for pulling the original formula and then putting it back on the market after a brief absence, making it look all along as if they were simply responding to consumer demands.)

The change in sweetener wasn’t anything that diabolical. Corn syrup was cheaper than cane sugar; that’s what it came down to. In 1980, five years before the introduction of New Coke, Coca-Cola had begun to allow bottlers to replace half the cane sugar in Coca-Cola with HFCS. By six months prior to New Coke’s knocking the original Coca-Cola off the shelves, American Coca-Cola bottlers were allowed to use 100% HFCS. Whether they knew it or not, many consumers were already drinking Coke that was 100% sweetened by HFCS.

In the wake of the discontinuation of the original cola, the introduction of New Coke, and the return of the original a few months later as Classic Coke, persistent rumors sprang up that it had all been a gambit to rekindle Coca-Cola‘s declining sugar cola market share. Various people have claimed to have known someone who saw the original Coca-Cola still being bottled and canned during the New Coke-only phase. Such claims are best considered in light of two things: freshness of product, and what was written on the can itself.

It’s inconceivable that Coca-Cola could have been continuing to bottle the original during its discontinuation phase, stockpiling it in anticipation of its reintroduction into the market. Soft drinks don’t stay fizzy and sharp-flavored forever. Utilizing product from such a stockpile to meet a sudden high demand for the original product would have required the company to risk its reputation on a supply that might have died in the can. Coca-Cola wouldn’t have willingly risked following one marketing disaster with a second, particularly at a time when confidence in the company itself had been severely shaken.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:40 AM
Come, noble knights!

I'm not exactly thrilled by the announcement that they're changing and rebranding Coke Zero, but I'm gonna wait and see on this Coke Zero Sugar thing. Best case scenario, they make it even better. Worst case scenario, I'm drinking Pepsi Max until the Coca-Cola company comes to their senses.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:14 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
http://www.businessinsider.com/coke-...o-sugar-2017-7

Grr. Here's a choice quote from that article.

So when you have a major hit, the clear choice of action is to throw it in the trash and replace it with something else! That's never backfired before!
They might have edited the article after you read it, because it specifies Coke Zero Sugar as the drink with double digit growth figures compared to Coke Zero's sub-4% growth. I don't know how European growth compares to American but that seems pretty good to me?

(Of course, Coke Zero to Coke Zero Sugar is WiiU-levels of bad naming.)
Old 07-27-2017, 09:14 AM
That bug is NUTS!

I think I'd like to try a dark cola that had no sweeteners of any kind, natural or artificial. Is that what Coke Zero Sugar is? I already drink a lot of La Croix-style flavored sparkling water which is kind of like that, but sort of simple. Does the more complex flavor of Coke stand up without any sweetener at all?
Old 07-27-2017, 02:15 PM
Just bear with me

Of course it's gonna have sweeteners! I mean, cola would take nasty without it. The only thing I think they're going to change is the flavor profile. The sweeteners will still be there (acesulfame whatever, aspertame, etc.) but it's supposed to taste more like standard Coca-Cola. I have my doubts, but we'll see.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:40 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Last night I went to a trivia night and ordered a diet coke. The bartender poured me one from the fountain and it tasted strangely bitter and overall bad. My teammates beer tasted similarly off. One of my team mates thought that it was just heavily watered down, but I think there was something wrong with the tap.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 07-28-2017, 07:26 AM
Safe Space

Could be mold in the fountain. If they don't keep it clean, all the moisture and sugar on the surfaces inside can cause mold to grow.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:21 AM

What Buge said. Also, if it tasted overly bitter, it mighta just been low on syrup.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:42 AM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
What Buge said. Also, if it tasted overly bitter, it mighta just been low on syrup.
Considering the beer also "tasted off" according to other people there, I think it is probably the first.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:59 PM
Not a Beer

Yeah, I've heard horror stories from people who work at my local pub about other places they've known not to clean their pipes and hoses nearly enough. Bad times.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:23 AM
Is there not one thing

Tap hoses and soft serv machines have to be deep cleaned religiously or they turn into horrors beyond man's ken.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:06 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Tap hoses and soft serv machines have to be deep cleaned religiously or they turn into horrors beyond man's ken.
Heh. After they shut down the Quizno's I worked at (the cash register had been programmed incorrectly from the start), someone forgot to drain and clean the drink fountains.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:04 PM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Heh. After they shut down the Quizno's I worked at (the cash register had been programmed incorrectly from the start), someone forgot to drain and clean the drink fountains.
oh noooo D:

I can't even imagine what that must have looked like.

Speaking of soft drinks, I pretty much gave up soda but recently tried an organic fair trade whatsit (peak hipster Bay Area) soda by Alta Palla. There are 4 flavors: cherry, lemon, grapefruit, and blood orange, and they're pretty darn good. The downside, of course, is that they're still soda.

Has anyone else tried these things?
Old 08-01-2017, 02:25 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I can't even imagine what that must have looked like.
I peeked in the window a few weeks later. From what I recall, it was horrible black sludge at the bottom with woolly greyish stuff filling the fountain to the top.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:41 PM
Just bear with me

Oh lord, you guys are gonna make me hurl with this uncleaned fountain drink hose business.

Anyway. The Coke Zero Sugar rollout is happening whether we like it or not, and the verdict from those who have had it is... surprisingly encouraging! Coke Zero drinkers had a hard time telling it apart from the original in a blind taste test conducted at Business Insider. Others say that it tastes better than Coke Zero, and more like actual Coca-Cola... which is why I started drinking Coke Zero in the first place.

I'm eager to try it. Hopefully I'll be as happy with the new drink as everyone else. Problem is, this stuff takes a while to reach a small border town like this one.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:50 AM
Is there not one thing

We were talking about branding at a school fair, and how desperate Coke had been to find a zero-calorie soda that men would drink. If y'all remember the dark days of the 90s, Coke had one smash hit ad after another that said "ladies in your 30s, Diet Coke is the soda for you". Meanwhile, Pepsi used Ray Charles in more gender-neutral advertising.

Coke struck fire with Coke Zero, because Dr Pepper 10 was a damn embarrassment.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:10 PM
does the Underpants Dance

I was never clear on the difference between Coke Zero and Diet Coke anyway outside of marketing...except that I liked Zero's taste more.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:00 PM
Love and Peace

I liked the original Coke Zero but I had to stop drinking it because it made my mouth break out in incredibly unflattering and suspicious looking sores. Maybe the new mix won't do that.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:16 PM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I was never clear on the difference between Coke Zero and Diet Coke anyway outside of marketing...except that I liked Zero's taste more.
IIRC, Diet Coke is essentially the 80s New Coke but with artificial sweetener instead of sugar, whereas Coke Zero is based on Classic Coke.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:18 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Im an 80s lady I guess, because I love me some diet coke.

Also, brands don't tell me what is masculine and what isnt.

Tags
beverages