The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 PM
actually an eevee

I'm surprised I haven't posted in this thread before! Thanks to nunix for dragging it up for me

I had some garlic sprout on me last week, so I divided teh cloves and stuck them in various potted plants I have. One of them really took off, so I'm going to keep it inside to get the nummy greens off of. The other one hasn't done much, so when I can get outside and get a trowel, I'm going to plant it in my compost bucket.

Actually, I sliced up a red potato that also sprouted and did the same thing. The one that was in the garlic pot has also really taken off, and while it's not a foot tall like the garlic, it's about six inches. Another one was slow to start, but it's a couple of inches long, too now. The third one that I put in a dish of water has a lot of roots, but not much stalk.

So my idea is to get a plastic tub, drill some holes in the bottom, get some potting soil, mix in my bucket of compost (it needs to be dumped, anyway! I'd take it to my parents, but I can't stand the idea of smelling up my still-new-car-smelly car) and replant the potatoes and the garlic that hasn't done much.

I'm really getting excited.

(and goddamn it, I'm going to have to replant this fucking philodendron or whatevertheshititis. IT JUST KEEPS GROWING)
Old 02-14-2011, 11:27 AM
actually an eevee

Yeah um, things are getting a little dire in potted plant garden.

that's the blurry potato shoot from the previous pic.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:14 PM
actually an eevee

W00t!

Finally had some time to get over to the store and get a tub (got a laundry basket actually, with rope handles that should make it easier to carry. The kind of plastic tub I had in mind wasn't quite as deep, and is hard to carry when it has a lot in it) and 2ft^3 of potting soil.

I drained my compost bucket (it doesn't have any drainage holes, so it gets pretty soggy ;o not the best for compost, but it's what I had) and dumped it into the tub after I bore holes in the bottom, and I was pleased to see that the run off started dripping out the bottom almost immediately, so when I finished, there was a nice puddle where I had worked of disgusting gross compost juice.

I put a layer of potting soil on top of that to soak up moisture from the top, and so I wouldn't have to smell it any more (really need better drainage xD I know I know I know) and I brought out my philodendron, which as you saw before was housing one potato and the garlic. Got them in and suitably buried, and I decided that I might as well throw the other potatoes in there (there are three in total, with five shoots between them, from 2+ft to 2in). It was actually pretty hard to bury the biggest shoot, so I just ended up breaking the top six inches or so off (well, it was kinda an accident, but whatevs)

At this point, my neighbor came home and came over to see what I was doing. He told me he also had a philodendron that was really thriving. I was kinda miffed because I can't hardly keep this thing in its pot, but I went over to his house to see, and man, it's huge 8D He said that breaking up the roots occasionally (and making cuttings) as well as staking it helped. He showed me his other plants, and told me about how the guy on the end of our row had started a garden plot, and was going to let him have a plot.

I felt kinda sad that I would be moving out before summer really got started! It'd be nice to have a communal garden

anyways, i also gave my other houseplants a good working over, pruning down the shoots on my peace lily that have already flowered, and breaking out a couple of clumps to spread them out more in the pot. I mean, they didn't really need any of that, but it probably won't hurt it too much ;D

I also ended up with some extra philodendron roots that got separated from the plant, so I tossed them under the gutter drain with some soil, so we'll see if anything happens!
Old 03-23-2011, 10:13 PM
actually an eevee

Update!

This is round two of potatoes: the first ones got frozen It's supposed to get cold tonight, but I'm hemming and hawing whether it'll actually get down to frost/freezing (it's hella dry out) Nunix suggested watering and covering them, so I guess I'll do that before I go to bed (it's still 50 out thoughhhhh!) They're actually the same potatoes, but newly sprouted, but I stuck another couple in there.

As for my house plants, I have started another kitchen garlic which is very tall already. It's in its own pot, although I have garlics in another plant, which is the one that it did so well in before; that plant and teh garlics are kinda bad off, though. I guess I was too brutal when repotting; a lot of the leaves have turned brown, and it's just not been thriving. Even my lily is suffering a little.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Dinger!

I like how this thread has pretty much turned into Lady's Garden Blog.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:35 AM
actually an eevee

This sweet potato was lying on my shelf for who knows how many months. It's still interested in growing, though!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:46 PM
actually an eevee

*it is interested in growing very slowly.

My bro-in-law gave us a bunch of bags of leaves and yard clippings last fall that have been sitting outside all winter. Today, my parents decided It Was Time to use them to mulch the garden.

The best part? I found a bunch of pecan shells that had sprouted! BABY TREES
Old 06-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Formerly known as vlad

Yay, gardening thread!

This is my second year gardening, and i'm super excited. Last year I had more cherry tomatoes than I knew what to do with, and the soil that i tilled was perfect for growth.

This year i'm going with: a roma tomato plant, a grape tomato plant, 3 bell peppers, 1 jalepeno, 1 pablano, a spinach plant, a 6-foot row of peas, and the returning champion rhubarb. I'm hoping my peppers do really well this year; last year I only had one survive and didn't get a whole lot of peppers out of it. I only planted 2 tomatoes instead of three because I had so many last year. We'll see!

Seeing all those pictures from last year has me so anxious for my plants to grow more and start producing. I think weekend will be time to hit the plants with some miracle grow.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:23 AM
le petite mort

Do you think it's too late to start planting? Considering we live in Arizona, and we don't get freezes until late December, January.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:38 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahitsu View Post
Do you think it's too late to start planting? Considering we live in Arizona, and we don't get freezes until late December, January.
you should be fine, especially if you're planting actual plants instead of seeds. last year I didn't get plants in the ground until the second weekend in june due to breaking my tailbone, and i still got a decent amount of tomatoes and herbs out of the deal - and we live in Southern Ohio.

this year I've gone koo-koo crazy for tomatoes, with about 15 promising plants, as well as green, yellow, and purple bell peppers, and basil, sage, chives, rosemary, thyme, and lime thyme. we have a raised bed the previous owner put in that's about 27 square feet, and I bought three big terracotta pots for cheap at IKEA. So far everything seems to be going pretty well, though my rosemary is growing a bit slowly for my tastes. (We used to have a bush that had survived for years, but last winter was so cold that it killed it dead. )
Old 06-09-2011, 07:57 AM
World of Darkness Returns

I've got too many strawberry plants to worry about planting much of anything else high maintenance this year, so I've just got a crapload of perennial lilies, a couple rose bushes and 30+ sunflowers. There's going to be so many bees once those sunflowers start to bloom.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Not a Beer

I recently discovered that a single onion in an otherwise fine bag of onions had mysteriously grown an eight-inch stalk while sitting in the pantry for a couple weeks. There was a spare space in our herb garden, so I stuck it in the ground and we'll see what happens.

Meanwhile, my blackberry cutting is actually growing well this summer, and even has a few berries starting to grow (they usually don't produce much until their second year). Which is awesome. What's not awesome is that the bits of it sticking through the wire mesh I put around it seem to keep getting nibbled off, probably by deer. I was hoping to be able to take off the mesh soon, before it gets too cramped, but I'm worried they'd eat it way back.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Pixel pusher

We've hit the 100s a couple of times already, so it's just about over for the first half of summer gardening here -- we get two short tomato seasons instead of one long one, but I'm going to prune back my plants and see if I can get them to limp into fall. One problem: friggin' spider mites. My tomatoes, and nothing else, are covered in them. I've been washing them off with water, but the plants don't look the greatest; may have to pull the plants out anyway and get a new set of tomatoes going for a fall crop.

Besides that, I've got a nice and healthy crop of herbs, peppers, melons, and squash coming along. The bee garden is doing well, and a bunch of lemon bee balm sprouted everywhere in the vegetable garden (from last year's plants), so it's fun to watch all the different types of bees each day.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Ate lettuce from the garden yesterday and it was lovely. Here's how everything looks right now:

There's romaine lettuce, rainbow chard, garlic and zucchini. The dead bit in the lower right is cucumber which didn't make it because it's been so stupidly cold. Did I mention it snowed memorial day weekend?

Anyway, I'm pleased! This was very much an experiment to see if the backyard gets enough sunlight to grow anything. It kind of determines the fate of our backyard since it all needs to be ripped up. If stuff grows the backyard will have a bunch of garden boxes, if it doesn't we're going to do some creative stuff with pavers and more resilient plants.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:36 PM
actually an eevee

you should do some potatoes since it's cool!

or sweet potatoes since it's inside!

This guy is getting really excited about growing! It took him a while to develop a good root, but now I expect him to take off!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

For the latest on my box garden: http://wp.me/p8fXx-pE

I'm not going to write this stuff up twice!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
you should do some potatoes since it's cool!
One of the other aspects of the experimental box is that the soil depth is really shallow (if it didn't work I didn't want to have to move ALL THE DIRT). So we won't really be able to do any root vegetables this year. I will be all over carrots and parsnips and etc. next year though.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:37 AM

My tomato plants have been growing like crazy and are beginning to flower, and I finally saw my first two teeny-tiny-teensy green tomatoes! (seriously, they're smaller than an eraser on a pencil. so cute!) Also! The green bell pepper has almost grown to a size that I might see at a farmer's market. Still has to grow by 50% to be the size that I might see at a grocery store, though.

my resolution for this week is to get off my duff and figure out how to post pics on here so I can share what the garden looks like right now.

who's gonna fry up some green tomatoes this summer? 'cause I totally am.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
My tomato plants have been growing like crazy and are beginning to flower
Mine too!
Old 06-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Well, I have my first garden pest experience. I went out this morning to harvest the chard and as I picked the leaves I saw almost all of the leaves had large transparent sections and small white eggs under the leaves. Closer inspection revealed worms in the light areas and black specks which after some research turned out to be leaf miners and their poop.

I guess I'm lucky it's so easy to identify but bleah. Hopefully I can catch enough of 'em to let the rest of the chard survive although it looks like some were alive long enough to get to the pupa stage. I guess I have to get a cover to keep the flies away too.

Lettuce, garlic and zucchini look okay, though.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
Well, I have my first garden pest experience. I went out this morning to harvest the chard and as I picked the leaves I saw almost all of the leaves had large transparent sections and small white eggs under the leaves. Closer inspection revealed worms in the light areas and black specks which after some research turned out to be leaf miners and their poop.
I've got red aphids all over my tomato jungle. Time to do a soapy water spray to get rid of the little buggers and then a rinse.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Not a Beer

Speaking of pests, I really need to get around to putting some hair on and/or cat urine around my adolescent blackberry bush to try to keep the deer from nibbling all the ends off it.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:13 PM
actually an eevee

my dad decided he needed my potato bucket, so he dug up my potatoes in there. There were about half a dozen baby potatoes growing out of the roots! aaaaaaaaaaaieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee so cute
Old 07-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Find Your Reason

I just went to water my veggies, and found a bright green caterpillar comfortably hanging from a stem of oregano.

I live in a third-floor apartment with mosquito mesh on all windows.

HOW DID IT GET THERE.

HOW.

And most importantly, what do I do with it? I kinda sorta don't want to kill it, but while my oregano desperately needs a good pruning, I'd rather do the harvesting myself.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Maybe eggs were in the soil or on the plant when you brought it in?

If it's just the one and that plant is protected you could wait until it forms a chrysalis and then move that outside right before it turns into a butterfly. Or wait and watch the butterfly come out because that is kind of amazing to watch.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Find Your Reason

New window pot!

I just transplanted my thyme, rosemary, lavender, basil, mint, and oregano from their original supermarket pots to this wooden one. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it! Even got some small clippers so I stop using the paper scissors to harvest them. But seeing them grow like this I kinda don't want to harvest them anymore I want to see them grow bigger and leafier

(And I especially want the rosemary and lavender to straighten out their main stems. They're all hunched over from trying to reach out from under the window pane :/ I keep the window open for them all day, but if I opened it too wide the wind would often knock their original pots right off the windowsill!)
Old 07-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Mine is pretty much out of control at this point (in a good way) my cucumbers and beans have even scaled the fence and are now traversing over it into the wilds beyond...

EDIT: Nice looking herbs there Zef!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:49 PM
actually an eevee

I want a window planter now! so cool, zef!

also flawgic, your cucumber is fattttttttttttt. DID IT SWALLOW A WATERMELON SEED??

(my sweet potato was looking dire, but recently put on some extra growth and new leaves! I think I should plant it outside, soon)
Old 07-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

The zucchini is flowering! And also taking over everything!

I planted way too much lettuce, the plants are ridiculously tall now.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:56 PM

You guys, the tomato plants in my box garden are SO TALL. One of them is taller than ME - and I'm 6'4"! I think they've really been enjoying our super inferno heat wave.

I'm going on vacation tomorrow but need to do some quick tying so that they don't all flop over and break whilst I'm out of town. Also finally have some of my yellow and purple bell peppers growing, but they're still green at the moment.

Tags
..."bitches"? , bitches , herbs , vegetables