The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 04-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
I love chocolate chip cookie dough more than any finished cookie. I could eat a whole batch.
A friend of mine used to drink between 36 and 60 raw eggs every single day with no ill effect. I refuse to waste a single ounce of cookie dough in the oven.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:10 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbip View Post
Same here in Scotland. Anyone who thinks that higher prices and scary marketing will deter smoking hasn't been to Europe. Maybe the rates have dropped since those policies were instituted, but they're clearly not enough.
I don't know about scary marketing, but higher prices definitely do have an impact and make people less likely to buy a product.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Space dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
A friend of mine used to drink between 36 and 60 raw eggs every single day with no ill effect. I refuse to waste a single ounce of cookie dough in the oven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston
When I was a lad I ate four dozen eggs
Ev'ry morning to help me get large
And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs
So I'm roughly the size of a barge!
Old 04-02-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
How the hell does that even happen? No salmonella? Fucking insane, that.

Otherwise my mouth would be dripping with viscous vitellus.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:07 AM
the artist formally known

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
I don't know about scary marketing, but higher prices definitely do have an impact and make people less likely to buy a product.
Yeah, that was a little hyperbolic of me. I guess I'd redact that and say that the worst smokers are going to smoke no matter what, and that higher prices aren't ENOUGH of a deterrent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luana
That's probably my biggest weakness. Whenever I'm out and happy, I always come back with a bag of stuff. Books, office supplies, BPAL, clothes (oh, I'm with you on the tank tops)... yeah. What I end up doing now is buying something, waiting a few days to see whether or not I really want it, and then returning it if I don't. That's what I did with WarioWare DIY!
Yeah, I've gotten better about returning things. I used to be horrible about it because lol social anxiety, but lol need money to eat is a stronger urge.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:35 PM
troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbip View Post
Yeah, I've gotten better about returning things. I used to be horrible about it because lol social anxiety, but lol need money to eat is a stronger urge.
Story of my early twenties, that is. It also helps to have friends and such who will do it for you when the anxiety is just too overwhelming (because I still don't do that, oh no, never).
Old 05-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Nice Guy™

As requested by Luana, I'm going to keep talking about smoking on this thread.

Just for kicks, if you smoke can you tell me why? A kinda pompous guy I knew actually said something kinda wise to me once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinda Pompous Guy
There's actually no good reason to smoke...I just do it because everyone else does it and I think it's cool
Is there any good feeling like when drinking alcohol? I'm just curious because everyone I've ever met basically follows the reason above.

Disclaimer: I'm a non-smoker. I've only tried cigarettes once in my life and was when I was 7. My loser uncle thought it would cool. I didn't know until much later that he might have saved my life. I now equate smoke with dying.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:32 PM
actually an eevee

blacks have that nice sweet flavor around the edge. I've only ever smoked those or flavored cigars. I might smoke half a cigarette every six months or so. Usually just to be social.

smoking hookah is pretty fun, even if it is just tasty oxygen deprivation
Old 05-18-2011, 10:14 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

One of the few things more sickening than smoking are draconian anti-smoking laws.

(Weird, I coulda sworn this can of worms was already open...)
Old 05-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Nice Guy™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
(Weird, I coulda sworn this can of worms was already open...)
It probably has, but I'm new so I haven't heard it before.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 PM
troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyIncognito View Post
Just for kicks, if you smoke can you tell me why?
On average, I go through a pack of cigarettes every three months or so, if that. At my heaviest, I smoked a pack a week at most (it was more like a pack every two weeks), and even then I was a "smoker" for about two months. Quitting was easy. I just said "eh" and stopped. Smoking was never a necessity to me, but just something that I did both socially and also because I did like the calm it brought.

It does feel physically good to smoke a cigarette. I only smoke Nat Shermans, because I figure that if I am going to introduce lethal toxins into my system, I want them to be as "natural" as possible. The Nat Sherman Naturals Menthol aren't artificially flavored in the tobacco, but have a little pocket of mint in the filter. Because of this, they're very sweet and also not as terrible as most other cigarettes. The price keeps me from buying them with any regularity, and my pack pretty much hangs out in the freezer at all times.

That said, I have been a bit more stressed out than usual, so I have been upping the smokes to twice a week. (That's two cigarettes, mind you.)

tl;dr: It's relaxing, I like it, and it's a social thing sometimes.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:13 AM
jiggery-pokery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyIncognito View Post
Is there any good feeling like when drinking alcohol? I'm just curious because everyone I've ever met basically follows the reason above.
There is such a thing as a nicotine high. It doesn't last very long but it feels great. However, if you smoke all the time you'll only rarely get it. When I was in college I was a pack every three days kind of guy, and now I'm like a pack every three weeks kind of guy.

Cigarettes can be great as a stress reliever, but again, if you smoke all the time, you'll get to a point where you'll be stressed and you'll need the cigarette, but it won't do all that much for you. Cigs are also awesome with beer and other alcohol, or after a large meal. I've never been the guy that went for a cigarette after sexytimes, because it would involve me getting up and going outside, but I've heard that's great too.

I've found that there is some small joy in the physical act of smoking as well. Though that's probably the addiction talking. The hardest part about quitting for me is whenever I'm outside waiting for a bus or something I want a cigarette. That, and barbecues/bonfires/any kind of outdoor drinking make me want to smoke like gangbusters.

And now that I've told you all about smoking, DON'T EVER START. If you want to try it, then get someone you know to bum you one and try it, but the first step down the bad road is when you buy your own pack. So just don't do it.

EDIT:
Old 05-19-2011, 12:24 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luana View Post
tl;dr: It's relaxing, I like it, and it's a social thing sometimes.
Yup. I don't smoke anymore, and I was never really more than a casual smoker, but this is it.

That said, I used to smoke hookah with my friends and I really miss that. Those were good times. Hookah is amazing and I would do that again in a heart beat.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:00 AM
concentrate

I have a lot of vices, but diet soda, man. I tried quitting for a few times, but couldn't do it. It's easier being without alcohol, I've tried. Diet soda doesn't even have the social component to it. I sure hope that stuff doesn't give you cancer.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:21 AM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli T View Post
I sure hope that stuff doesn't give you cancer.
Everything gives you cancer.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:28 AM
WHAT'S WRONG NERD

I have a friend who once wrote an essay about how smoking is cool, just because it's lighting something on fire and sticking it in your mouth.

And that's cool.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:41 AM
We just don't know.

In college I used to keep a pack of cloves on me, just in case, but it took a long time to get through a pack. I also bought a pipe, but never really built a habit out of it, and my roommate and I shared a hookah (but I let him take it when we graduated).

The act of smoking itself can be comforting and relaxing, and most of all I always liked the opportunity to go outside, usually with friends but sometimes alone, and have an excuse to just sit and do nothing for a few minutes. Decompress, ponder, whatever. Or crowd around the hookah and just chill out.

Cigars make me sick. Like, woozy, and I might throw up. I was with a girl I dated in college and we were leaning against the wall, and people were outside smoking and it was getting to me pretty bad. A friend of hers said "Dude, go dance with her." And I was all "I can't" and he said "Come on man just fucking go dance!" and I was like "no you don't understand" and turned and ran to the bathroom (full -> reroute to sink) and puked. (Only had one drink at that point; that wasn't it.) (Don't worry, we danced plenty later on. Where is Shawn's eyebrow smiley when you need it?)
Old 05-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

I just waste too much time,
Old 05-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Goodbye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
In college I used to keep a pack of cloves on me, just in case, but it took a long time to get through a pack. I also bought a pipe, but never really built a habit out of it, and my roommate and I shared a hookah (but I let him take it when we graduated).

The act of smoking itself can be comforting and relaxing, and most of all I always liked the opportunity to go outside, usually with friends but sometimes alone, and have an excuse to just sit and do nothing for a few minutes. Decompress, ponder, whatever. Or crowd around the hookah and just chill out.
Paul is a cool guy.

I support smoking tobacco, which is almost blasphemy these days - but I support it as a vice. Smoking is pleasant, and I believe in the merits of ritualized self destruction. By that I mean an indulgence that you pursue every now and then; I smoke occasionally, and when I do, I try to smoke nice tobacco that tastes good. It's calming, and gives me a potent head rush precisely because I am not addicted, and have not built a tolerance to complement a dependancy.

And you know what? Smoking is cool, just like fast cars and bad decisions are cool. I would be really sad if it disappeared entirely. I just think, like any vice, one's approach should reflect the danger and build it into the enjoyment.

I may have a smoke tonight. It'll be my first in months.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:32 AM
gatchapon 3*

i'm ok with people smoking, as long as it's not anywhere near me.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Symphony of the Nightbug

I'm fine with people smoking, as long as they are people I never have to interact with in person.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Find Your Reason

I'm perfectly OK with people smoking, even near me, so long as they're considerate right back in regards to second-hand smoking.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Cigars make me sick. Like, woozy, and I might throw up.
I can't figure out how to smoke a cigar. I just can't grasp something about the mouth movement required to properly draw the smoke into the mouth. Probably a good thing in the long run, even if it means I'll never look like the Bunk.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:36 AM
troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfroog View Post
I'm fine with people smoking, as long as they are people I never have to interact with in person.
Wait, are you saying that you don't want people to smoke around you or that you don't want to ever associate with someone who would deign to put a cigarette between their lips?
Old 05-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Symphony of the Nightbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luana View Post
Wait, are you saying that you don't want people to smoke around you or that you don't want to ever associate with someone who would deign to put a cigarette between their lips?
I'm perfectly fine with associating with such people over the internet!

Okay, I'm also willing to interact with you in person if I can't tell from the smell of you that you smoke.

And when it comes down to it, I'll keep my mouth shut around people who I can tell are smokers from the smell of them as long as they don't light up near me. I just won't be happy about it.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
Paul is a cool guy.

I support smoking tobacco, which is almost blasphemy these days - but I support it as a vice. Smoking is pleasant, and I believe in the merits of ritualized self destruction. By that I mean an indulgence that you pursue every now and then; I smoke occasionally, and when I do, I try to smoke nice tobacco that tastes good. It's calming, and gives me a potent head rush precisely because I am not addicted, and have not built a tolerance to complement a dependancy.

And you know what? Smoking is cool, just like fast cars and bad decisions are cool. I would be really sad if it disappeared entirely. I just think, like any vice, one's approach should reflect the danger and build it into the enjoyment.

I may have a smoke tonight. It'll be my first in months.
The problem with smoking versus fast cars is that fast cars aren't addictive or inherently dangerous.

That said, I'm alright with smokers. I'd rather you didn't do it around me, and I'd rather you didn't do it at all, but I accept that people have vices they can't overcome. If it's a serious addiction though, then it's something that you need to overcome.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Goodbye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
The problem with smoking versus fast cars is that fast cars aren't addictive or inherently dangerous.

That said, I'm alright with smokers. I'd rather you didn't do it around me, and I'd rather you didn't do it at all, but I accept that people have vices they can't overcome. If it's a serious addiction though, then it's something that you need to overcome.
Well, my point is that I think it's more than possible to indulge in smoking without inculcating an addiction. Sadly, the culture of smoking encourages it (the "smoke break," the very phrase "pack a day habit"). Taken as an occasional vice, I think tobacco is pretty keen, but that, like so many things, people approach it recklessly and greedily without even noticing.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Well, my point is that I think it's more than possible to indulge in smoking without inculcating an addiction. Sadly, the culture of smoking encourages it (the "smoke break," the very phrase "pack a day habit"). Taken as an occasional vice, I think tobacco is pretty keen, but that, like so many things, people approach it recklessly and greedily without even noticing.
Well, some people can smoke without getting addicted. But some people can't.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:57 PM
actually an eevee

well, some people can drive safely at high speeds, too~ (but you never know when someone/lung cancer is going to come out of nowhere and wreck your shit). I think it's an appropriate metaphor
Old 05-19-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Smoking is pleasant, and I believe in the merits of ritualized self destruction. By that I mean an indulgence that you pursue every now and then;
I think there might be a difference between ritualized self-destruction and an indulgence you pursue every now and then.

Contrast this with this.