The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 03-31-2010, 02:36 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayWhatNow View Post
So where does taxing a vice come into this? Taxing what is essentially freedom of choice. It seems ironic that the much despised cigarette smokers support failing fiscal policies through the addition of millions of dollars into state budgets. The government could not afford everyone quitting!

Is this "get it while it's good" approach towards taxing a vice proper? Alcohol could almost as easily be vilified on the same grounds. All beer drinkers could be facing usage restrictions and over-taxation using similar logic. Would we support that? This may be starting down another rabbit hole...
Booze is taxed here in CA, I imagine its taxed in every other state as well, though it isn't anywhere near the level of cigarettes. A increase in the tax has been proposed a number of times but each time lobbyists for the alcohol industries as well as public outrage has killed it.

The only reason that is the case is because booze hasn't been given the PR treatment that cigarettes have been getting for the last 20+ years
Old 03-31-2010, 02:55 PM
the :motion: stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayWhatNow View Post
So where does taxing a vice come into this? Taxing what is essentially freedom of choice. It seems ironic that the much despised cigarette smokers support failing fiscal policies through the addition of millions of dollars into state budgets. The government could not afford everyone quitting!
Big Tobacco's best trick ever was getting the government addicted to cigarettes.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:05 PM
Space dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Big Tobacco's best trick ever was getting the government addicted to cigarettes.
Which it did largely by supplying them in every ration for every American soldier in World War II, if I recall correctly.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:11 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

IIT Alix continues preaching about free will while at the same time telling people what they should/shouldn't do/say.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by falselogic View Post
Booze is taxed here in CA, I imagine its taxed in every other state as well, though it isn't anywhere near the level of cigarettes. A increase in the tax has been proposed a number of times but each time lobbyists for the alcohol industries as well as public outrage has killed it.

The only reason that is the case is because booze hasn't been given the PR treatment that cigarettes have been getting for the last 20+ years
Didn't five cents per drink just get killed in committee?
Old 03-31-2010, 03:15 PM
you can't win them all

i think it's kind of funny that this whole thing started because somebody told somebody else who had already mentioned trying to cut back on/quit smoking that they should, in fact, cut back on/quit smoking
Old 03-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSyndrome View Post
Didn't five cents per drink just get killed in committee?
It certainly did!
Old 03-31-2010, 03:21 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
IIT Alix continues preaching about free will while at the same time telling people what they should/shouldn't do/say.
ITT Brickroad continues to go "lol Alixsar"

And yes I'm aware of the irony, but I've already drawn up why I think it's okay in one instance and not in the other so...you know. Not gonna get into that again.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:46 PM
Banned

Sometimes i rape people, but that's more of an idle habit than a true vice for me; If the mise-en-scène presents accessible but assuredly-unwilling human orifices, I often follow the inclination to forcefully lean my turgid member into them, but i'd never, like, plan ahead for it.

Of course, given my particular charms/dimensions/vigor/je ne sais quoi, "methinks thou doth protest too much" has served well as the whole of my law. There's a reason i'm not in prison! /wink
Old 03-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
Which it did largely by supplying them in every ration for every American soldier in World War II, if I recall correctly.
I thought Adam was obliquely referring to the big tobacco settlement and how the money's being used. Summary: Big Tobacco agreed to pay USGOVERMENT (well, the states, actually, I just wanted to say that) forever and ever so that they'd never be tried in criminal suits again. As I recall, the money was supposed to be used for anti-smoking campaigns and stuff like that. Some of the states decided they'd rather take a lot of the money now instead of perhaps getting it later, and sold bonds against the future payments. Upshot: they now have a decided incentive to make sure Big Tobacco's fortunes remain good, so they can get the money they need to pay off the bonds.

If you think this is retarded, congratulations! You are a functioning human being.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Space dad

Ah, thought he was referring to the high tax rate on tobacco products in general.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:39 PM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Ah, thought he was referring to the high tax rate on tobacco products in general.
That too, possibly. I just liked that story as well.

For a given value of 'like', of course.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:39 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
ITT Brickroad continues to go "lol Alixsar"

And yes I'm aware of the irony, but I've already drawn up why I think it's okay in one instance and not in the other so...you know. Not gonna get into that again.
Hypocrisy, not irony, but yeah.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:51 PM
the :motion: stands

Quote:
That's the one. Of course, as has been mentioned already, BT is apparently several steps ahead of my armchair criticism.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:11 PM
mellow dramatic

Quote:
I know several people who smoke but aren't addicted. I smoke but am not addicted.
That's great, seriously. I admire your restraint. Around here, though, the casual smoker is not so much a rarity as a myth. (Casual drinkers aren't much more common.)

My most obvious vice, I think, is coffee. I often consume more coffee than food in a day, though partly because I tend to forget to eat. That's probably unhealthy. Coffee tastes better than food, anyway.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:19 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Hypocrisy, not irony, but yeah.
What's the difference?! *bah-dum-pssh*
Old 03-31-2010, 05:29 PM
twinkling photon

they sell these awful ramen-in-a-cup deals at school. obviously horrible for you, but only 50 cents compared to the rest of the ridiculously overpriced menu. when i don't have time to leave and grab some real food (almost always), those are some valuable carbohydrates.

i can't wait to go to college and go to a cafeteria that sells actual food
Old 03-31-2010, 05:30 PM
23 ski-dook

Lucky Zodar! LCAD has no cafeteria.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
What's the difference?! *bah-dum-pssh*
Alanis didn't write a song about hypocricy.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
Alanis didn't write a song about hypocricy.
She didn't really write one about Irony either...

Zing!
Old 03-31-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
She didn't really write one about Irony either...

Zing!
Who woulda thought? It figures.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:10 PM
EARTH FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
they sell these awful ramen-in-a-cup deals at school. obviously horrible for you, but only 50 cents compared to the rest of the ridiculously overpriced menu. when i don't have time to leave and grab some real food (almost always), those are some valuable carbohydrates.
At least cafeterias that serve unhealthy-but-almost-palatable junk food are better than cafeterias that sell stuff that's HORRIBLY INEDIBLE and bad for you. All the school cafeterias I've seen have menus consisting entirely of rewarmed plastic.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:23 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by taidan View Post
Depending on where you are, alcohol taxes aren't going anywhere. To relate to my last post, Maryland's super low alcohol taxes are nearly impervious to change.
Yeah, back when I lived in PA people would often drive down to buy booze in quantity. They actually ended up increasing the amount you could bring across the state line for 'personal use' at some point.

Of course, PA has the most ridiculously puritanical liquor laws of anywhere I've lived... imagine my shock of moving and seeing it in grocery stores / corner stores (only 'State Stores' back home) or for sale on Sunday.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:29 AM
Shall we praise the sun?

Quote:
Look, if you're grossly overweight, how did you get there? You made bad decisions and compounded them with worse ones. Not only did you eat poorly but you chose not to exercise and you let it spiral out of control until you were a billion pounds. You can't take care of yourself and you make bad choices. Plain and simple.

It's easy for people to make excuses and avoid facing it. "Oh it's okay for me to be fat! Alex is just a jerk!" Well sure, I am a jerk...but that doesn't change things. If you're 400 lbs., it's because you make bad choices.

But if someone makes that decision, and it doesn't affect anyone else, who are we to question them on it?
Well, I'm glad we cleared that up.

Quote:
I know several people who smoke but aren't addicted. I smoke but am not addicted.
I know several people who smoke but think or used to think they aren't addicted. Trying to quit usually kills that delusion. Maybe the creatures you speak of exist, but I've never seen one.

On taxation: Finland lowered their alcohol tax a few years ago, by as much as 44% on hard liquors. Drinking increased significantly, health declined, people died. They realized their mistake and have started increasing the tax step by step. Hopefully they will serve as an example when the alcohol lobby starts its next offensive in my country.

I did enjoy going across the border to pick up cheap booze, though.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:12 AM
the STALIN BUS is coming

Ah, smoking. Aka The Thing EVERY Russian 15-Year-Old Does.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:43 AM
nobody in particular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevznachaY View Post
Ah, smoking. Aka The Thing EVERY Russian 15-Year-Old Does.
Same here in Scotland. Anyone who thinks that higher prices and scary marketing will deter smoking hasn't been to Europe. Maybe the rates have dropped since those policies were instituted, but they're clearly not enough.

My vice? Shopping sprees when I'm in a great mood. It's always the same few things, too. I think during my first year of college I spent about $200 on tank tops in half an hour while shopping online, then had to suffer in embarrassment for the next two weeks as I had to go to the post office nearly every day to pick up a package. I've acquired a taste for bargain shopping lately though, and nothing makes me feel EVEN MORE AWESOME!!! than getting a ton of cheap crap when I'm in a mood like that. So at least I'm getting more bang for my buck and theoretically spending less money. Having my money spread across a few different bank accounts, with the sum total being enough to live on but the amount in each account being quite small also keeps me from spending too much at a single store.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:19 PM
troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makkara View Post
I know several people who smoke but think or used to think they aren't addicted. Trying to quit usually kills that delusion. Maybe the creatures you speak of exist, but I've never seen one.
Well, seeing that I'm already a day-and-a-half into no-smokes land and not feeling what Nick describes as nicotine withdrawal, I may be one of those people after all. I don't know, I know a lot of social smokers who only smoke while at the bars/clubs. Even when I "quit" I still plan on being that type of smoker, but whatevs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbip View Post
My vice? Shopping sprees when I'm in a great mood.
That's probably my biggest weakness. Whenever I'm out and happy, I always come back with a bag of stuff. Books, office supplies, BPAL, clothes (oh, I'm with you on the tank tops)... yeah. What I end up doing now is buying something, waiting a few days to see whether or not I really want it, and then returning it if I don't. That's what I did with WarioWare DIY!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Whenever I bake I eat TONS of raw batter. The stuff is ambrosia and salmonella is worth it.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
Whenever I bake I eat TONS of raw batter. The stuff is ambrosia and salmonella is worth it.
Oh yeah! The wife likes the butter and sugar but I like to wait until I have the dough or batter complete and then just eat away.

I don't bake cookies anymore because I usually just end up making the dough and then eating it.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Space dad

I love chocolate chip cookie dough more than any finished cookie. I could eat a whole batch.

Tags
blackjack + hookers , no smorking , no tout , smork weed erry day