The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 01-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Terrible confusion

Thanks for the info on the Japanese beers. I guess I'll take a look and see what they have next time I am at the store.

At my university's lounge/bar, they have this thing (I think it's called Around the World or something) where you drink 40 different beers from different places. If you do it, you get a t-shirt at the end. I'm thinking about partaking.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:40 PM
and ermine, too

Wow, I hope they let you take them one at a time. Even if they're just small samples, 40 at once seems like way to many to really enjoy the beers and you'd just destroy your palette.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by pence View Post
Wow, I hope they let you take them one at a time. Even if they're just small samples, 40 at once seems like way to many to really enjoy the beers and you'd just destroy your palette.
As well as possibly die of alcohol poisoning
Old 01-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Curious Young Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergasa View Post
Thanks for the info on the Japanese beers. I guess I'll take a look and see what they have next time I am at the store.

At my university's lounge/bar, they have this thing (I think it's called Around the World or something) where you drink 40 different beers from different places. If you do it, you get a t-shirt at the end. I'm thinking about partaking.
Yeah, there's a big bar/pub in Central London whose selling point is their massive selection of international booze, so that's been the prime location to do Around the Worlds.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Terrible confusion

I should clarify that you don't have to drink them all at once. You get like a stamp card.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:46 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderDL View Post
In my personal experience, and I have only tried Japanese beers here in the States, they all taste very samey.
It's worth noting that most of those are actually brewed in Canada (at least, I'm sure Sapporo is) and taste pretty different from what you get in Japan. In most cases, when you buy a Japanese beer in North America, you're paying for the brand name.

. . . which is not to say that you can't have a legitimate argument about the quality of actual Japanese beer, but that's a separate discussion than one about the quality of Canadian beers with Japanese brands.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Minnesota Nice

I did one of those at a local bar in college. I think it was about 70 bottles of beer from varying locales and styles, one of which being a rauchbier, or quite literally "smoke beer." Not advisable for pairing with anything other than smoked meats, fish, etc.

Also, I got a pretty sweet pewter mug at the end.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:52 PM
and ermine, too

Quote:
I should clarify that you don't have to drink them all at once. You get like a stamp card.
I would totally do this. Once I found a place where I could buy bottles (I have to go to Delaware for it) I started going down the shelf and trying everything that wasn't too expensive.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Minnesota Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
It's worth noting that most of those are actually brewed in Canada (at least, I'm sure Sapporo is) and taste pretty different from what you get in Japan. In most cases, when you buy a Japanese beer in North America, you're paying for the brand name.

. . . which is not to say that you can't have a legitimate argument about the quality of actual Japanese beer, but that's a separate discussion than one about the quality of Canadian beers with Japanese brands.
Interesting, I did not know that. My Japanese beer lore is admittedly lacking.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone answered my question in discussion that spawned this thread:

If I want to try a good Japanese beer, what should it be?
If you can find it, try a Hitachino beer. I really like their espresso stout. They also brew a beer that is aged in sake casks which I think is delicious.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Banned

Well, all I know is Japanese beer, and I like it quite a bit. My German beer-loving friend likes it too, but I don't know if he thinks it compares with German beer or if we both just love pounding 'em back. Don't even bother with the stuff you get in the States, it's not even close to the same. I did a side-by-side comparison last spring and even a first-time drinker could tell the difference.

Opinions ahead: Kirin is the worst-tasting brand, whether we're talking Ichiban or Lager. Sapporo Black Label is sweet and easy to drink but tiresome and watery. Asahi Super Dry is the workhorse beer that you can drink every day, and is quite bitter. Suntory Malts is a personal favorite, it's a bit sweet and more full-bodied that Sapporo but still extremely drinkable.

As for the premium beers (they cost like, what, 30 yen more than the standard ones), Suntory Premium Malts is the king. It's my favorite beer on the shelf, and drinking it side-by-side with Yebisu (Sapporo) and Asahi Prime Time (do they make that anymore?), you can really tell the difference in quality.

I usually don't bother with seasonal or short-run beers. Every company currently has a Lager on the shelf, and a couple have dark beers, but I have yet to have any. Last year, summer of '08 Kirin did a small run of bottled white beer which was fantastic, I bought out all the local shops.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:30 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
As for the premium beers (they cost like, what, 30 yen more than the standard ones), Suntory Premium Malts is the king.
TK Flash gets it.

(Although I like Kirin more than Asahi Super Dry...)
Old 01-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Banned

Unhappy

I could have an aversion to Kirin because that was my seasonal drink for a very depressing and lonely winter.

Edit: I will give bonus points to Kirin for actually tasting different than the other beers. And I never complain when Kirin is served at a restaurant. Maybe I just don't like it in cans.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:42 PM

I almost exclusively drink pilsners, although there's so many great beers here that I'll usually take a gamble. My most successful one was Beez Neez, which is a honey wheat beer that was delicious.

Of the mainstream Australian lagers, I like Cascade, Coopers, Hahn and Boags. Tooheys Old is also surprisingly tasty, although New is decidedly average.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:45 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

YOUY MEEN U DONT DRINK FOSTERS WTF

"Fostehs. Uhstrylian fo beeah."
Old 01-20-2010, 06:49 PM
Curious Young Gent

I've never met an Australian who actually drinks that muck. It's no Stella Artois, but... yeech.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
I've never met an Australian who actually drinks that muck. It's no Stella Artois, but... yeech.
It's only drunk ironically, and it's hard to buy because it's not that profitable to stock. Most Australians would rather buy something something better.

HEY GUYS I'm drinking a James Squire pilsener right now.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:51 AM
lumbering

Yay beer!

Pencil me in as another homebrewer, though I don't do it very often.
I enjoy the results, but it's kind of a pain in the ass. Mainly the cleaning, which wouldn't be so bad if I had a decent sized sink to scrub things in. Another thing that makes me sad is it's not particularly economical, though I have yet to investigate internet prices for the supplies.

Oh, and Strider, don't worry about the slow bubbling, your beer is probably fine.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:54 AM

Gimme a harsh IPA and I'm hoppy.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, there's a big bar/pub in Central London whose selling point is their massive selection of international booze, so that's been the prime location to do Around the Worlds.
Bierodrome? It was closed when I was there.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:16 AM
Curious Young Gent

Nah, the one I'm thinking of is in Central London - the Bierodrome that I know of (I think there's a couple?) is in Islington (which is where I live, but whatevs).
Old 01-21-2010, 06:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Nah, the one I'm thinking of is in Central London - the Bierodrome that I know of (I think there's a couple?) is in Islington (which is where I live, but whatevs).
I thought we spent all of our time in central London, although it's been years and I had hardly slept.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:27 AM
Curious Young Gent

Islington is pretty much in the middle of London, if that's what you mean, but Central London is its own specific (fairly tiny) area.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Not a Beer

Oh hey look, everyone's talking about me in this thread. Or not.

Anyway, as I mentioned in the other alcohol thread, I 'm not terribly fond of the "beer" taste per-se, so I've gotten into beers sort of sideways-like, starting with raspberry lambic and branching out into some various stouts and seasonal brews. Nothing too hoppy for me, thanks.

My current favorite concoction is to take a Young's Double Chocolate Stout and drop just a bit of Lindeman's Framboise lambic into it. I actually found this at a bar in Raleigh and started doing it myself at home. Dee-licious.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:44 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
90% of the beer that I drink comes from Quebec (the rest is usually Leffe Brune). There are a ton of microbreweries here, and while most of them aren't great, the ones that are good are really very good. I'm a huge supporter of McAuslin and I think that their St-Ambroise Pale Ale is pretty much the best everyday beer you can get. They also do a nice Apricot Wheat Ale for those hot summer days, and their stout is supposed to be fantastic (I'm not a stout fan, so I can't really speak to its quality). The other good brewery in Montreal is Dieu du Ciel, whose Fumisterie is a hemp beer that is very interesting without tasting gimmicky.
You neglected to mention Unibroue. Their Trois Pistoles beer is delicious!

It is upsetting to me that New York doesn't have as good a microbrew scene as Utah did. As such, all the higher quality beers tend to be pretty expensive (though Brooklyn Brewery makes some good stuff).

Yuengling is my drink of choice for trivia night at the bar - $6 including tips for a beer and personal pizza? Yes, please.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:18 AM
A No.1

So hey I tried New Belgium 1554 last night (courtesy of Alixsar) and it was pretty ok. It has a weird coffee/chocolately after taste that was...well, odd. I don't like coffee but didn't hate this, though. Interesting stuff.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:31 AM
I am being eaten?

Oh cool, the thread is rolling.

There was an Irish pub I used to live near that sold Beamish Stout, which I thought was pretty decent at the time. I want to try it again and compare it to some other stouts I've had since.

My roomate got some Beerlao after sampling it in Vietnam. I have no idea if it is hidden, or if he already drank it all.

Anyone ever tried Yuengling's other beers, aside from Lager/Black & Tan? I bought a six pack of Porter once, but it tasted like it had been in there for a while. It has been too long since I tried a Lord Chesterfield Ale, so I don't have strong memories of the taste.

All my friends agree that Sam Adam's Cream Stout is a terrible beer, but I remember it tasting like I expected it to. Their Cranberry Lambic, however, is a taste I have yet to appreciate.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Anyone else enjoy Red Stripe? I like the little stout bottle and it tastes pretty good too.

It's also the only beer I have a shirt for!
Old 01-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Minnesota Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
You neglected to mention Unibroue. Their Trois Pistoles beer is delicious!
Unibroue can do no wrong in my book. La Fin du Monde, Don di Dieu...all of it, fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
It is upsetting to me that New York doesn't have as good a microbrew scene as Utah did. As such, all the higher quality beers tend to be pretty expensive (though Brooklyn Brewery makes some good stuff).
I assume you mean within the city limits, my dear Hedgehog! While not in in the city, Blue Point Brewery here on Long Island is fantastic. Best part is it is 5 minutes from work so I can get fresh growlers at whim! If you are interested you can take the LIRR out to Patchogue. Addtionally, Great South Bay Brewery will be opening in June, also on the island. Exciting times!

I'm not intimately familiar with upstate, but I know the Saranac makes damn fine stuff, and I place Ommegang on par with Unibroue.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:55 PM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by falselogic View Post
Anyone else enjoy Red Stripe? I like the little stout bottle and it tastes pretty good too.

It's also the only beer I have a shirt for!
I have a box of it in my fridge right now, actually. I like it quite a bit, as far as beers go.

Tags
alcohol , beer , beverages , bitter is better , top of the hops , your favorite beer sucks