The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 01-20-2010, 05:49 PM
What Time Is It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
Limoncello. So delicious when you keep it in the freezer and serve a small amount as an after-dinner apertif.
So, we're talkin' a digestif here?

Speaking of digestifs I should get some to help me feel like less of a big fatso after a big dinner.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:30 PM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Yes, I suppose they are. >:|
Oh, maybe I should have spoilered that! Tee hee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falselogic View Post
Are all Irish Cream alcohols made that way?
Any that's packaged, I would assume -- or at least any that uses real dairy product. (Why would anyone want one that doesn't!?) They have to be emulsified to prevent the cream from spoiling. I'd think that you could make a fresh irish cream liqueur without emulsifying it, but you'd also have to consume it right away.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

As far as gin goes, if you like the taste of pine trees, you will love them. I love gin.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:37 PM
had a hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by destro713 View Post
So, taste-wise, I kind of passed up all the affordable, sensible drinks and went straight to the top shelf, much to my financial detriment. My last bottle was a cask-strength 18-year Laphroaig. It's really something.
Laphroaig is my go to guy for peaty goodness. I don't think I've ever had the 18-year though. The great thing about cask-strength is that you water it down, so it's almost like the Whiskey was on sale, right? I'll keep telling myself that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringworm View Post
As far as gin goes, if you like the taste of pine trees, you will love them. I love gin.
Is there gin you can sip straight up? I have found the stuff I use to make gin and tonic is the least bearable alcohol I've ever tasted.

As for beers, I'm particularly partial to Dogfish head, because we're both from Delaware. Sixty minutes is good, but if you've got that extra half an hour go for the ninety. I also find that getting belgian style ales livens things up. They tend to have more vaired flavors and spices, and can be have complexity similar to wine. If you're ever in southeast Michigan, check out the Jolly Pumpkin. They're a small operation out of Dexter that does this very very right.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:39 PM
Faceshove champion

Ever since I started studying Impressionism, I've been curious about absinthe. Now that it's legal in the US, does anyone know of a good brand?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:41 PM
gatchapon 3*

pernod is the way. i loves me some absinthe. but then, i love licorice.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:51 PM

I used to think absinthe was cocaina mixed with alcohol. In a way Jagerbombs made up for that misconception and proved how awful such a drink would be.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:59 PM

I actually can't stand most reds, I find them almost always too acidic, but I love me a good white wine. I think we can all agree that champagne (and thanks to Futurama, I can't help but pronouce it 'cham-pagin', although technically 'champagne' refers to the place it was made, and should properly be called a 'sparkling' wine) and rosé are excellent.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 PM

I don't know who said it but if you go too cheap on wine (and most other drinks) you'll get burned. Drinks should always go down smoothly. Cheap wine is like acid. You may not know what quality even means until you pay top dollar. So next time try to buy the most expensive red wine you can get.

Anyone watch Wine Library TV? I don't even like wine all that much but Gary's PASSION draws me in.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:14 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merus View Post
I actually can't stand most reds, I find them almost always too acidic, but I love me a good white wine. I think we can all agree that champagne (and thanks to Futurama, I can't help but pronouce it 'cham-pagin', although technically 'champagne' refers to the place it was made, and should properly be called a 'sparkling' wine) and rosé are excellent.
i just don't like the carbonation.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Not a Beer

I'm sure we've done this thread two or three times, but I suppose I'll chime in again with my love of girly drinks. Mudslides, Creamsicles, whatever - if it's full of fruit and/or chocolate and tastes like dessert I'm in. (Well, except I don't like cherry/almond flavors).

My little brother gave me a "make your own liqueuers at home" book for xmas that is excellent. I made some ginger-cinnamon liqueuer and holy crap is it good stuff. I'm pretty sure there's also a recipe for home-made Irish cream in there, which I may have to try now that Jeremy's doing his best to put us all off Bailey's...

Though lately I've been getting more into the fringes of beer, expanding beyond my beloved raspberry lambics into some chocolate or vanilla stouts.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:41 AM
For blood and gold

Beers:

Really, anything so long as it's good. I probably like Ales the most, but a good Stout, Porter, Lager, Wheat beer, etc.

Wines:

I have a slight preference for whites to red, in that I like almost any variety of white while there are some red I don't like. Still, I just like wine in general. Unless it's too sweet. Ugh!

Liquor:

Whiskey, scotch, and bourbon are all great. Gin is probably my favorite mixer. Not a big fan of rum or vodka.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Clickclickclickclick

Quote:
Originally Posted by falselogic View Post
Oh, just to throw in one more thing: Mead. Honey Wine is pretty damn good! Though I've found that it tastes better after its been chilled and given time to breath
Yes it is! Oliver Winery's Camelot Mead is all over Indiana, and good for the price. I've only had a couple other meads and they didn't do it for me like Oliver's does. I'm open to other mead suggestions, though.

Other alcohol talk to follow later, I'm going to go bake some cookies now. Did I mention this food forum is an awesome idea?
Old 01-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Spelunker Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merus View Post
Champagne refers specifically to sparkling wine made in the Champagne region. Sparkling wine refers to all other carbonated wine.

Also, spiced rum good, clear rum bad.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:16 AM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I don't know who said it but if you go too cheap on wine (and most other drinks) you'll get burned. Drinks should always go down smoothly. Cheap wine is like acid. You may not know what quality even means until you pay top dollar. So next time try to buy the most expensive red wine you can get.
Is this a veiled criticism of Carlo Rossi and his jug of wine? For shame, Diz. For shame.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:25 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Drinks should always go down smoothly.
I'm going to disagree with this when it comes to fine scotch and bourbon. One of the great pleasures of those drinks is the intense fiery feeling you get when you breathe after taking a sip. It's not smooth or easy, but it's fantastic when you've acquired the taste. I find the smoother scotches to not be nearly as exciting.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I love me some Belfast Car Bombs and Jagger Bombs! I only do them though when its time for some serious drinking
Old 01-22-2010, 07:21 AM
the STALIN BUS is coming

I love a drink! Listing all the things I like is too tiresome - but I'm gonna suggest that all the Jaegermeister lovers try other herb-based bitter liquors: specifically, Fernet Branca, Beherovka and Unicum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
I don't drink much, but there are a few libations I cannot resist:
  • Good red wine. "Good" meaning neither sweet nor vinegary; I prefer my wine dry and earthy. Give me tannins or give me water!
  • A Pimm's cup. Almost no one makes these, so finding a good one is always a treat.
  • Tanqueray Rangpur and tonic with a wedge of lime.
I love this selection.

Quote:
Another weird drink I discovered I like: port wine.
What's weird about port?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
pernod is the way. i loves me some absinthe. but then, i love licorice.
Technically, Pernod isn't an absinthe, it's a pastis. An entirely different beast.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:39 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevznachaY View Post
What's weird about port?
It's very weird for someone of my age and financial status. I only met three other people in my life who are under 40 and into port, and two of them don't count because they are a sommelier and his girlfriend. Most people I know dislike its sweetness and consider it an old man drink.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:41 AM
the STALIN BUS is coming

Quote:
It's very weird for someone of my age and financial status. I only met three other people in my life who are under 40 and into port, and two of them don't count because they are a sommelier and his girlfriend. Most people I know dislike its sweetness and consider it an old man drink.
Well, in Portugal they swig it like it's juice. Like, all the Portuguese.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:42 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

And this is why I must go to Portugal.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:55 AM
the STALIN BUS is coming

This thread reminds me that I need to buy a bottle of this:

I miss it.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Sudden chomper

My girlfriend has been showing an interest in developing a taste for single-malt whisky in recent months. I'm going to visit her this weekend, so I'm going to surprise her with a bottle of Talisker 10-year. I'm so great! Too bad I think the stuff tastes like paint thinner, which means I won't be able to appreciate it with her.

We also recently found a Greek Muscat at the local SAQ which is both pretty tasty and also significantly cheaper than any of the other brands available around here. Hooray for Muscat! I should buy some more of that stuff.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:40 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Talisker is a great whisky. It has a nice balance that makes it a good fit for a new drinker of Scotch, but it has serious character, way more than a common first Scotch like Glenfiddich or Glenlivet. I've been meaning to pick up a bottle.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:29 AM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
It's no surprise that my favorite wine is ice wine, which is so sweet it tastes like slightly alcoholic grape jelly. They say it's a dessert wine, but I'll have it anytime.
*knux*

I'm not a wine dude (I'm starting to dip my toes in once in a rare while), but ice wine is great. It's also absurdly expensive. The cheapest bottle I can find is twenty bucks, and that's very cheap for ice wine.

I'll have a beer if they're around, but since people around here only drink Heineken and I don't drink at home, 90% of my beer drinking ends up being that.

I have some vodka and some heavy cream that's going to spoil sooner then later. I am strongly considering picking up a bottle Kahlua and trying a White Russian.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Not a Beer

Thread necro! I couldn't find any real "mixed drinks" thread, but this one will do, I guess. So, from last night:

Black Irishman: vodka, kahlua, coke, splash of guinness. Utterly bizarre, but actually pretty good.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMX View Post
While only technically alcoholic, this is perhaps the most concentrated form of joy you can get without drugs.

Ales. Vodka, Scotch. Starting to get a taste for wine, which I'm sure will bankrupt me.
OOOOH that sounds so tasty
Old 05-31-2010, 07:38 PM
There he is!

I spent way too much money stocking my liquor cabinet today. I picked up:

- Forty Creek Canadian whiskey: the best Canadian whiskey available
- Maker's Mark
- Cointreau
- Stolichnaya: Because I figure the Soviets knew their vodka
- Havana Club white: which is illegal for you Americans!
- Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth: because I already had dry
- Dr. McGillicuddy's peach schnapps

So many cocktails to try!

edit: because it's one thing I'm missing: what's a good, reasonably-priced tequila?

Last edited by ajr82; 05-31-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
I have some vodka and some heavy cream that's going to spoil sooner then later. I am strongly considering picking up a bottle Kahlua and trying a White Russian.
I'm not really much of a consumer of alcohol but I like me a white russian. Consider this my approval of your plan, for what it's worth.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:08 PM
Rawrther.

My friend swears that White Russians with Kahlua taste like chocolate milk.

I want to know what he puts in his chocolate milk that makes it taste so damn awful.

I had some moonshine a couple weeks ago; that was pretty awesome.

Tags
alcohol , classy shit , im drnuk already , intoxication nation