The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 01-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Drinking Time! Talking about Alcoholic Beverages

Inspired by the booze talk over in the Thread of Random Discontent

I myself prefer Ciders, especially Fox Barrel a Northern California Brewer... When I do drink beer though I prefer dark beers, stouts and such. I'm an avid consumer of Guinness but there are some others that I drink as well.

When it comes to wines for white it's usually a Chardonnay and red is either Pinot Noir or Syrah

and you?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:50 PM
borgn

Woodchuck Green Apple cider is exquisite. I usually like ales for beer - not a huge fan of the bitterness of stouts. Or alcohol in general, which is why I'm a Girl Drink Drunk, with a shot of Jaeger chased with an amaretto sour being a club favorite.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Woodchuck Green Apple cider is exquisite. I usually like ales for beer - not a huge fan of the bitterness of stouts. Or alcohol in general, which is why I'm a Girl Drink Drunk, with a shot of Jaeger chased with an amaretto sour being a club favorite.
I'm quite fond of Amaretto myself though I usually just drink it with milk, soy or almond if I can get it. At bars I'm a a whiskey and ginger guy or highballs.

I've drank Woodchuck ciders but found them too sweet and not as flavorful as Fox Barrel, but then I don't know if you can find Fox Barrel outside of CA... There are a number of British Ciders that are good. Speaking of Ciders and Stouts a Snakebite is a great drink! Guinness Drought floated on top of cider
Old 01-20-2010, 12:56 PM
You are Destiny.

While only technically alcoholic, this is perhaps the most concentrated form of joy you can get without drugs.

Ales. Vodka, Scotch. Starting to get a taste for wine, which I'm sure will bankrupt me.
Love and Peace

I'm not gonna lie, the talk in the other thread of how shitty Japanese beer is made me mentally deduct points from Japan in the "Places to Visit Someday" list.

Beers I like (not a complete list, obviously):

Kokanee
Stella Artois
Heineken
Newcastle (all varieties except dark)

Beers that are okay:

Sleeman's Honey Brown
Corona
Molson Canadian
Grolsh (This is the only one on the "okay" list I could find in the U.K.)

And if you're ever in Canada and you need to try a terrible, terrible beer, look for Le Fin Du Monde. It's the one with Satan paddling a canoe on the label!

Orange vodka + orange juice + orange soda = pretty cool stuff bro

I drink like once or twice a year, so I'll now exit this thread...
Old 01-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Your life is forfeit

I don't drink much, but there are a few libations I cannot resist:
  • Good red wine. "Good" meaning neither sweet nor vinegary; I prefer my wine dry and earthy. Give me tannins or give me water!
  • A Pimm's cup. Almost no one makes these, so finding a good one is always a treat.
  • Tanqueray Rangpur and tonic with a wedge of lime.

Also, I had a cocktail the other night which was fantastic. It consisted of bourbon, vermouth, and bitters. Damn strong, though. I sipped at it slowly over the course of a huge, heavy, high-fat meal and it still knocked me for a loop. I assume this is because I never drink whiskey. I'd love to have it again sometime, but I don't know which specific bourbon and vermouth were involved, and that makes all the difference.

I have completely lost my taste for white wine and anything involving vodka, up to and including white russians.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
[*]A Pimm's cup. Almost no one makes these, so finding a good one is always a treat.
I've never heard of this what is it? And talking about finding places that make drinks, I've learned that if you have to tell the Bartender how to make your drink you're better off ordering something else, and finding a better bar!
Old 01-20-2010, 01:28 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
I have completely lost my taste for white wine and anything involving vodka, up to and including white russians.
Oh that is...that is just a damn shame.

Anyway!

Beers:
- Basically any kind of New Belgium, but Fat Tire and 1554 stand out.
- Newcastle.
- Stella Artois.
- Sam Adams.
- Guiness.
- Boddington's.
- Heinenken (is that how you spell it?) and St. Pauli Girl are okay, but I generally speaking don't care for lagers. To me they taste like...imagine you go to put the trash out on trash day, and you pick up the bag and it's leaking. Like there was something wet in there and now it's dripping out of the bag after marinating in garbage for a while. Imagine someone took that water, ran it through a purifier, and then made beer out of it somehow. That's what lager tastes like to me. The actual taste is fine...it's just that after taste that lager has. I can't stand it. I remember someone brought some particularly shitty lager to a party once and I was chasing swigs of beer with shots just to kill the taste. I didn't chase every swig mind you; that's just insane. But the taste was so awful that I'd rather have burning in my throat than the aftertaste of this stuff.

So yeah. Fuck lagers.

Hard Stuff:
Whiskey and/or Scotch mostly. Pretty much any kind will do, but I have some favorites. J&B and Jameson's are probably my favorite/reasonably priced scotch/whiskey, but Maker's Mark and Johnny Walker are good too and in roughly the same price range. If I'm going for higher end stuff, Macallan/Glenlivet/Johnny Walker Green (or blue if I'm feeling like going broke) will get the job done. Rum is kind of gross, and vodka I can barely drink anymore after one particularly bad evening. Tequila is kind of gross too, but I'm seeing an old friend this weekend and they assure me that I just haven't been drinking the right stuff. So maybe I'll change my mind in a few days? Bourbon is amazing but I don't know a lot about it. I do know that I like Bulleit Bourbon and it's relatively cheap, so I get that a lot. If I need whiskey for mixed drinks, I usually go with Seagrams or Crown Royal or maaaayyyybbbbeee Jack Daniels or Jim Beam since those are cheap.

Drinking. It's Fun!™
Old 01-20-2010, 01:30 PM
borgn

It's no surprise that my favorite wine is ice wine, which is so sweet it tastes like slightly alcoholic grape jelly. They say it's a dessert wine, but I'll have it anytime. Plum wine's a close second.

I really, really love high-quality sake that tastes like nothing so much as water with a slight warmth in the aftertaste.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:30 PM
gatchapon 3*

i love sweet white wines, and really deep chianti style reds. man, just give me table wine from anywhere in italy, and we're good to go.

but my drink of choice? fruit brandy. Apricot if you've got it, pear and apple if you don't.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Oh, just to throw in one more thing: Mead. Honey Wine is pretty damn good! Though I've found that it tastes better after its been chilled and given time to breath
Old 01-20-2010, 01:32 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Oh shit I forgot wine. I don't know much about wine, but I do know this: if it's red, I will drink it/enjoy it. If it's white or pink or whatever the fuck, then it's terrible and I hate you for even suggesting it and you should feel bad. Champagne is good too but I know even less about that. I know that bad stuff gives you a wicked headache and that good stuff is good. That counts for something, right?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:38 PM
gatchapon 3*

oh alex, alex, alex. you and i are going to have to have an education day i see.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Love and Peace

The first (and only) time I tried sake was... interesting. We were watching Akira at the time, and apparently I got so pissed that I claimed to completely understand the ending. I don't remember it being a bad drink, but I haven't been able to look at it since, without feeling a bit ill.

(On a possibly related note: If you're watching Akira while drinking and someone at your party makes up an Akira Drinking Game, play with Coke instead.)
Old 01-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Quote:
It's no surprise that my favorite wine is ice wine, which is so sweet it tastes like slightly alcoholic grape jelly. They say it's a dessert wine, but I'll have it anytime.
Sweet berry wine!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by falselogic View Post
I've never heard of this what is it? And talking about finding places that make drinks, I've learned that if you have to tell the Bartender how to make your drink you're better off ordering something else, and finding a better bar!
Pimm's No. 1 is a British spiced gin. A Pimm's Cup is when you mix it with another beverage -- lemonade is popular, but I prefer hand-made ginger ale using bitters -- and garnish with a slice of cucumber. It is delicious. Unfortunately, most American bars don't stock Pimm's No. 1.

Also, I secretly still like white russians, but only on super rare occasions.

Also also! I love nigori sake to death. So good with sushi.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
It's no surprise that my favorite wine is ice wine, which is so sweet it tastes like slightly alcoholic grape jelly. They say it's a dessert wine, but I'll have it anytime. Plum wine's a close second.
I have little to no interest in most wines, but I'm with you on the sweet wines. If you like icewines, try a bottle of Muscat - it's not quite as intensely syrupy, but it is very sweet and tasty.

Late at night, I have a tendency to make myself a sugary alcoholic beverage as a sort of dessert after dinner. Much of the time it winds up being Bailey's mixed with some milk, which I find completely delicious. I just wish the damn stuff wasn't so expensive. When the weather gets a little warmer, though, I migrate towards the G&T. Tanqueray is my gin of choice, but I certainly won't turn my nose up at Bombay Sapphire.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:37 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

I was convinced for the longest time that I didn't like any drink involving hard alcohol except for apple juice with Polish zubrowka, and then I found myself in a social situation where someone offered me a glass of fine single malt Scotch. To be respectful, I accepted it. The doors burst open.

So, taste-wise, I kind of passed up all the affordable, sensible drinks and went straight to the top shelf, much to my financial detriment. My last bottle was a cask-strength 18-year Laphroaig. It's really something.

Another weird drink I discovered I like: port wine. I don't really have enough money to afford a truly excellent bottle-aged port, but I love a good wood-aged port (tawny or colheita). Port is extremely sweet, but it's more of a complex, fig-like sweetness than the Jolly Rancher sweetness of boxed wine or something.

Malort.

I have a feeling I might like gin-based cocktails. My mission: order a gimlet.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Your life is forfeit

I used to like Bailey's (with milk, like Mike), but then I read about how it's made -- it's basically an emulsion of cream and whiskey suspended in vegetable oil. Now all I can taste when I drink it is vegetable oil. I guess what I'm saying is that things that seem inexplicably delicious are best left a mystery.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
I guess what I'm saying is that things that seem inexplicably delicious are best left a mystery.
Yes, I suppose they are. >:|
Old 01-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
I used to like Bailey's (with milk, like Mike), but then I read about how it's made -- it's basically an emulsion of cream and whiskey suspended in vegetable oil. Now all I can taste when I drink it is vegetable oil. I guess what I'm saying is that things that seem inexplicably delicious are best left a mystery.
Are all Irish Cream alcohols made that way?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:45 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Limoncello. So delicious when you keep it in the freezer and serve a small amount as an after-dinner apertif.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:06 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Welp, that's the end of me ever even considering drinking Bailey's.

Also, yes, limoncello. I had some the other night after a Neapolitan pizza. Exquisite.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:12 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
oh alex, alex, alex. you and i are going to have to have an education day i see.
Well I do have some brands I know I like. It's just that they're probably the kind of stuff wine experts scoff at so I saved myself the embarrassment. I'm rather partial to Australian stuff, actually. For whatever reason.

But yeah, only red. White wine is nasty.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:26 PM
A No.1

Red wine is better, but white has its place, too.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Gesundheit!

In the words of Rusty Venture, "Bartender! Another double Sidecar!"
Old 01-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Life is a Blender

Dark beer and ales are my drink of choice.

Guinness and Kilkenny are pretty good. Rickards Red is another brand that i seem to remember really enjoy drinking.

Most other kinds I can think of are local to Ontario only (the one with the best name is called "10W30").
Old 01-20-2010, 04:37 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by destro713 View Post
I have a feeling I might like gin-based cocktails.
I love gin based cocktails. Once I've had a few beers, the gin and tonic is my go to drink for keeping a nice buzz for the rest of the evening.

(On the other hand, sake is my go to drink for getting blasted.)
Old 01-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Spelunker Die

I'm not a wine person. No matter where it's from or how expensive it is it all tastes like ass to me. Pretty much the only time I drink wine is when other people are also drinking wine. White in particular is revolting. A drink shouldn't leave my mouth dry.

For beers, I tend to like darker. I love Guinness, but only from the tap. Guinness from the bottle just tastes like mud. Sam Adams is also usually good to me, so when I'm buying from the supermarket that's usually what I'll get. I also mentioned Yuengling in the other thread, which is pretty good. It mostly gets good marks from me for tasting okay and being $7-8 for a pitcher around here.

I've had enough bad experiences with various types of liquors that there aren't so many I can drink straight or unmasked without feeling sick. Enough time has passed since a particularly bad night with a gin bucket that I've got my taste back for gin, so gin and tonics tend to be my go to drink now. Vodka's out, which is a shame because I used to love white russians, and I've never been a fan of whiskey. I do have a taste for girly drinks, for better or worse, and I'm happy to order an appletini without hesitation.

Tags
alcohol , classy shit , im drnuk already , intoxication nation